TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07' & 08' Shelby GT stripe 7 gap size

mustangjack

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the proper size of the stripes and gap is on the 07 & 08 Shelby GT?

And also do they taper? I have an 08' GT/CS and I want the same size stripes on my car.

Thanx,

Jack

I'll have to measure the width after work, but I know the gap is 1".

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the proper size of the stripes and gap is on the 07 & 08 Shelby GT?

And also do they taper? I have an 08' GT/CS and I want the same size stripes on my car.

Thanx,

Jack

Good Luck with the installation. I know that the Stripes for the Deck Lid and Both Bumpers are 4 Pieces each. The 2 Stripes on my Deck Lid are 1 Piece each and they Taper.

David.

05TES5.jpg

05TES5.jpg

Hi All,

Thanx,

Jack

Jack,

The actual width of the stripes themselves is 9" each with a 1" gap in between each stripe. If you are going to do this yourself, pay very close attention to areas where the stripe comes down on the hood on the front edge...as this is where your gap will try to narrow down...it's hard to keep the gap at 1" as you have to stretch the inside part of the stripe some to keep the gap consistent...don't stretch too much or it will look like stretch marks on human skin and you'll have to start all over...If you're painting the stripes, be sure to have your painter maintain the 1" gap when he's taping the car up...if he's worth his salt, he sould be able to do this without any problems...

Also, you will need to piece the stripes some where they come down on the top of the bumpers to the flat front and rear portions...and if you have a spoiler, you'll have to piece them from the top over the lower back portion...

Good Luck!

Carl

Jack,

The actual width of the stripes themselves is 9" each with a 1" gap in between each stripe. If you are going to do this yourself, pay very close attention to areas where the stripe comes down on the hood on the front edge...as this is where your gap will try to narrow down...it's hard to keep the gap at 1" as you have to stretch the inside part of the stripe some to keep the gap consistent...don't stretch too much or it will look like stretch marks on human skin and you'll have to start all over...If you're painting the stripes, be sure to have your painter maintain the 1" gap when he's taping the car up...if he's worth his salt, he sould be able to do this without any problems...

Also, you will need to piece the stripes some where they come down on the top of the bumpers to the flat front and rear portions...and if you have a spoiler, you'll have to piece them from the top over the lower back portion...

Good Luck!

Carl

+1

It's a bear to get the hood right which is why you see so few striped Mustangs with 1" gap. Usually you see 2" or so which makes it job MUCH easier but 1" looks way better to me.

Gentlemen,

I measured both the stripes and the gap between them in a number of areas on my Shelby GT. While there is a slight variation in a few areas, especially at the end of a panel like the front of the roof and the front of the hood, the gap between the factory stripes on my car is 1 1/16" and the stripe itself is 9 1/16" wide. There is a slight taper in these stripes in various areas. Below is a photograph of the bottom half of the front bumper stripe that I took before putting it on my car (the originals were not properly centered on the bumper so I replaced them). On this short section (photo below) you can see how much it curves to produce the optical illusion of a straight stripe on the convex bumper surface. This short section is 9 1/16" wide at the bottom and 8 15/16 wide at the top. On the trunk lid of the Shelby GT the stripes are 9 1/16" wide their entire length and the gap between them is 1 1/16" across. I asked a Shelby employee why they used such an odd size and gap. They told me it was to make the cloning of their cars more difficult. I don't know if that's actually the case but that is what they said. In order to install these stripes properly, without any air bubbles, and without getting any debris trapped underneath them, takes the work of the real master in vinyl stripe application. Do not attempt this at home!! I had two supposedly experienced individuals screw this up before I located a professional capable of doing it. I believe it would be easier for most shops to paint these stripes on your car than to apply the vinyl stripes properly. The stripes on my hood are painted on and they match the vinyl stripes on the rest of the car perfectly. It took great care and a lot of time taping the hood, measuring, eyeballing, then pulling the tape and redoing it before it was just right, before spraying the silver stripes on the hood.

The stripes on a Shelby Mustang, to my eye, are dimensionally perfect (like the Acropolis in Greece) and any deviation from them just doesn't look right. Make them an inch wider, or an inch narrower, or narrow the gap between them to 1/2" or widen it to 1 1/2", and it looks awful. But doing this is easier said than done. The human eye can optically detect even a slight deviation from a straight line, especially in the gap between the stripes. Take your time, get it right (whether you use tape or paint), and the results will be most satisfying.

Good luck.

Chip

post-12804-1215204888.jpg

post-12804-1215204888.jpg

Archived