TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Rear Tires are wearing out @ 4300 miles

Grabber

Both of my rear tires on my 2007 GT500 are coming unraveled in the center in the same spot on both tires. <_< I have 4300 miles on them

Every single tire tread around the entire tire is flaking off :censored:

My one year tire warranty for full replacement is over. I still have the 6 year prorated warranty on the tires so I need to make a trip to the dealer and see what can be done. I hope I am covered and they take care of it !

If you have a build in the same time period as me, you might want to take a look at your rear tires.

I rarely spin my rear tires, so this is not from abuse.

Check out the pic's.

th_Tirefailure-rearsGT500at4300mile-2.jpg

th_Tirefailure-rearsGT500at4300mile-1.jpg

th_Tirefailure-rearsGT500at4300miles00.jpg

th_Tirefailure-rearsGT500at4300mile-4.jpg

th_Tirefailure-rearsGT500at4300mile-3.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both of my rear tires on my 2007 GT500 are coming unraveled in the center in the same spot on both tires. <_< I have 4300 miles on them

Every single tire tread around the entire tire is flaking off and the tire chord is showing on every single inner tread depression on both tires. :censored:

My one year tire warranty for full replacement is over. I still have the 6 year prorated warranty on the tires so I need to make a trip to the dealer and see what can be done. I hope I am covered and they take care of it !

If you have a build in the same time period as me, you might want to take a look at your rear tires.

I rarely spin my rear tires, so this is not from abuse.

Check out the pic's.

Where's the BS emoticon when you need one....

Since everyone else will probably pander to you and take what you say at "face-value" I am not going to let you off the "I am innocent" hook so easily. It may be true that you rarely spin the tires however it's not just a matter of how often you spin your rear tires. It is also a matter of how long you sit there in a spin. I have seen guys sit there and completely smoke new tires to the point that they remove just about all the tread and burned certain spots down to the cord. Just a couple burnouts can not only remove a significant amount of tread but also weaken and break the cords from the sudden intense heat generation caused from 'spinning' in place.

I can't entirely rule out a defect in one or maybe two tires but.....I have seen this before (even in brand new tires) from tire spinning in place too long and causing the cords to burst as a result of the excessive sudden heat and internal pressure buildup inside the tire. Over the road Z-rated tires are not made for sitting-in-place 'spinouts'....they are made to hold together and withstand heat that is caused from tires moving at high speeds over pavement while the car is moving along a road and NOT sitting in place and spinning. That's a really big difference.

I suspect the only spin that may be going on here is perhaps your use of the word 'spinout' to describe what you were really doing which is known as a 'burnout'. And don't even try to say you really just only 'spun' the tires because that does really nothing in terms of "giving a show". People don't want to see 'spinouts', they want to see smoke.

I may be completely wrong but I doubt it. I really would want to see exactly what you were doing when you say you 'rarely spin' your tires as I said I have seen this all too many times before.

Hopefully when you take it to the tire guy he won't suspect burnouts causing the problem, but most likely he will and he'll give you the "eye".

Rob, when I had my "86" 5.0 brand new with VR rated tires this happened from the occasional burnout on my rear tires and I got maybe 12k mi on those tires before I had to replace them. I think you will be getting the LOOK when you try to get those replaced. I have 6,300 on mine right now and have the same amount of tread or more and I turn my tires occasionally too also depends on road conditions concrete/blacktop and temperature where you did your tire turning as to the flaking for this can happen to good tires, sorry :burnout: .

I may be completely wrong but I doubt it. I really would want to see exactly what you were doing when you say you 'rarely spin' your tires as I said I have seen this all too many times before.

Your wrong bub.

When my car was brand new......Day 1 I noticed this beginning. I remember telling SCGT500 about it too.

When I got my car I looked over the rims real good because some people were reporting rim damage, so I did a inspection. During that inspection I noticed that there were small tears at that time in the center of the tire on both sides. It was very minor at the time.

I figured that these marks were from the transport driver driving up onto a transport truck on a ramp that had some traction grate of some sort. I figured that the driver must of spun the tires a little in the ramp accidentally due to not being used to the clutch on a GT500. I figured that this caused some small slits in the tires.

Since it was so minor at the time, I fugured it would wear off as the tires were used. I did not suspect that the unraveling would continue.

As for you jumping all over me about suspecting that I roast my tires for show.....Your dead wrong. After I had about 500 miles on my car...I did a 5 foot burnout. The car hopped and shook so bad and made a loud wheel hop clunk. After that I never did it again for about a year.

A year later I installed the rear LCA's from BMR. I took my car out and tried a burn out. 1st gear......8 foot patch, then hit second......5 foot patch. I then did it a second time to make sure that what I was feeling was true. My wheel hop issue on my car was gone.

I have done that kind of burn out 2 other times since that day, and a handfull of shorter ones during a spirited launch. So if this has caused my tires to fall apart......so be it, I will need to buy a new set.

Rob, when I had my "86" 5.0 brand new with VR rated tires this happened from the occasional burnout on my rear tires and I got maybe 12k mi on those tires before I had to replace them. I think you will be getting the LOOK when you try to get those replaced. I have 6,300 on mine right now and have the same amount of tread or more and I turn my tires occasionally too also depends on road conditions concrete/blacktop and temperature where you did your tire turning as to the flaking for this can happen to good tires, sorry :burnout: .

Are your tires doing the same thing?

Your telling me this is "normal" ?

Where's the BS emoticon when you need one....

Since everyone else will probably pander to you and take what you say at "face-value" I am not going to let you off the "I am innocent" hook so easily. It may be true that you rarely spin the tires however it's not just a matter of how often you spin your rear tires. It is also a matter of how long you sit there in a spin. I have seen guys sit there and completely smoke new tires to the point that they remove just about all the tread and burned certain spots down to the cord. Just a couple burnouts can not only remove a significant amount of tread but also weaken and break the cords from the sudden intense heat generation caused from 'spinning' in place.

I can't entirely rule out a defect in one or maybe two tires but.....I have seen this before (even in brand new tires) from tire spinning in place too long and causing the cords to burst as a result of the excessive sudden heat and internal pressure buildup inside the tire. Over the road Z-rated tires are not made for sitting-in-place 'spinouts'....they are made to hold together and withstand heat that is caused from tires moving at high speeds over pavement while the car is moving along a road and NOT sitting in place and spinning. That's a really big difference.

I suspect the only spin that may be going on here is perhaps your use of the word 'spinout' to describe what you were really doing which is known as a 'burnout'. And don't even try to say you really just only 'spun' the tires because that does really nothing in terms of "giving a show". People don't want to see 'spinouts', they want to see smoke.

ShelbyKindaGuy,

As a long time, long distance friend to Grabber, your comments & quick judgement are way out of tline. The only BS icon we need is for you since you have came on this board. Grabber babies that car more then a mother does a newborn baby. Your comments would hold true for many other members here, but this time your way out to lunch on Grabber & his attention getting abuse theroy. As a man of the lord he doesn't seek tire smoking crowd approval

Grabber - is the tread depth smaller in the center of the tires? Kind of hard to judge - can you get some measurements? If tread depth is going away in the center it may be indicative of too high a pressure.

I check my air pressure frequently. It's at 35 PSI.

I will have to measure the depth. to answer your question.

I printed the pic's and today during lunch, I am going to run over to a tire shop next to where I work that I have done business with for 20 years and ask the manager for his opinions. Since they are not his tires and I am his long time customer, I should get a good opinion.

I am not a tire expert, but he is.

"As a man of the lord he doesn't seek tire smoking crowd approval" So does this mean it's a sin to spin your wheels? I haven't smoked my tires even once; I guess I'm a little closer to heaven. What a relief.

CC

Burnouts are a one way ticket to the man downstairs :)

:D

ShelbyKindaGuy,

As a long time, long distance friend to Grabber, your comments & quick judgement are way out of tline. The only BS icon we need is for you since you have came on this board. Grabber babies that car more then a mother does a newborn baby. Your comments would hold true for many other members here, but this time your way out to lunch on Grabber & his attention getting abuse theroy. As a man of the lord he doesn't seek tire smoking crowd approval

Ditto!! I know Rob too, and I would trust him with my car in a heartbeat! In fact, I almost (almost...) offered it to him to do parade laps in Vegas, except I did them myself! :D

Karen

PS Gonna go check my tires and I can guarantee you I don't do burnouts!

"As a man of the lord he doesn't seek tire smoking crowd approval" So does this mean it's a sin to spin your wheels? I haven't smoked my tires even once; I guess I'm a little closer to heaven. What a relief.

CC

Not even one little chirp ? :poke:

Ditto!! I know Rob too, and I would trust him with my car in a heartbeat! In fact, I almost (almost...) offered it to him to do parade laps in Vegas, except I did them myself! :D

Karen

Hi Hun,

It's been along time since I have seen you on the board.

Welcome back.

I only do burnouts when I start off, but they quickly end when I get to fourth. I will not do burnouts in fourth, fifth, or sixth. Only because it wont do it (yet) :happy feet: :hysterical: Im not saying I burn out everytime, but almost. These things are FUN, yall should drive them like you stole them. Tires will get cheaper the more we buy them. So lets all get out there and burn these babies up!!!! :hysterical:

Rob I hope this all works out.

michael morris

CC

NO, it's not a sin to spin your wheels, I occasionally spin mine when I have no traction going from 1st to 2nd. I haven't smoked or roasted my tires once since I have owned the car, but then again many here have & they must have money to burn for new tires once a year. I just don't idiots taking pot shots at my friends when he/she doesn't have all the facts or even know the person.

If you haven't chirped, spun or do at least one burnout in your car, you must be lying. I am the least tempted person to do those things, but I just couldn't help it in this car.

The dealer will not be involved replacing the tires. You have to go to the tire store that handles those tires. The tire warranty is a separate warranty than your car and is honored by the tire manufacturer only and not the dealer. There are some dealers who are authorized to do warranty adjustments on tires but there are not many of those around.

One day when I grow up, I am going to be as mature as all of y'all as well.

Except for you Michael, you have some growing up to do as well........ Dont do burnouts in 4th, 5th or 6th :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

You guys are tooooo funny

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Grabber, if those tyres are toast, you should make sue you give them a good funeral before you change them - cremate them in the best way...............

And we want pictures and video and audio and hints and instructions. :hysterical::hysterical:

j/k Grabber

I just checked mine i have almost 2000 miles now on it and it looks good. our roads here will wear the heck out of tires...no spin outs for me, i do not even know how to do it :D ....but very well yours Rob could a factory defect....wish you good luck in having them covered under the extended warranty.

I just checked mine i have almost 2000 miles now on it and it looks good. our roads here will wear the heck out of tires...no spin outs for me, i do not even know how to do it :D

Liar. :hysterical:

I know you had to test your new LCA's.

I've seen that happen before as. Usually from drifting corners too much :hysterical: Can't say for sure what is going on with your tires. Freak of quality control perhaps? Wish my tires had that much tread on them, but I've also got 10 track days on mine now at 4600 miles and lots of burn outs..typically all the way through first and second gear and half way through third. Burnouts in 4th and 3rd are usually caused from downshifting. I don't use 5th gear much. No need when 4th gets me into the 140+ mph range.

Karen

Hi Karen, long time no see! How are you and yours?

My tires don't look like that and I have 8500 miles now with a few chirps running thru the lower gears :)

I am with Coldy on this one. Grabber is not the abusive type, as many here are.. :redcard: The simple fact that he noticed issues from day one, tells the story. I have had bad tires before, so I can see it for sure. I did not catch it in the thread, but are all four tires wearing the same way? In any case, I know you have to go to a tire store to get them looked at for warranty, not Ford. Grabber, as always, go get'em tiger! If anyone can document an issue, and get it resolved, we know for fact you can! GOOD LUCK!

Archived