TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Handling and Performance

I'm due to pick up my car in the next few weeks or so and will be driving the Super Snake from Las Vegas home. This will be a trip where I'm afraid I may encounter some weather. I realize that knowone would want to admit it and I may be viewed as nuts, but I could get caught in some rain during the trip. Has anyone driven their Super Snake in the Rain? How bad of a rain? How did the car handle? I have a K&N filter in my truck, but it doesn't have open hood vents to help it suck air, will that make a difference? Thanks for your help. Jim

Driving a stock GT500 in the rain?

Answer: Squirrely.

Driving a GT500 Super Snake in the rain?

Answer: VERY Squirrely.

But you should be just fine if you keep you foot out of the supercharger. As far as water intrusion into your CAI? The jury is still out on that one. I was caught in a moderate rain storm about a month ago, but I was only driving on city streets doing city speed limits. I did lift the hood to see if there was any water on top of the air cleaner, but found none. Does that mean that water won't intrude at freeway speeds? Sorry, I don't have the answer for you on that question.

Congratulations on your SS, and may you have nothing but blue skies and sunshine on your trip home from SAI.

I'm due to pick up my car in the next few weeks or so and will be driving the Super Snake from Las Vegas home. This will be a trip where I'm afraid I may encounter some weather. I realize that knowone would want to admit it and I may be viewed as nuts, but I could get caught in some rain during the trip. Has anyone driven their Super Snake in the Rain? How bad of a rain? How did the car handle? I have a K&N filter in my truck, but it doesn't have open hood vents to help it suck air, will that make a difference? Thanks for your help. Jim

Welcome to the forum. I havent driven mine in the rain yet, so I really cant help here. I would like to know your CSM number. If you wouldnt mind posting in the CSM thread we would be very happy! :happy feet:

Congrats on the SS. They are great cars and you will love driving her home. Be careful until you get use to it. She will surprise you.

michael morris

But you should be just fine if you keep you foot out of the supercharger. As far as water intrusion into your CAI? The jury is still out on that one. I was caught in a moderate rain storm about a month ago, but I was only driving on city streets doing city speed limits. I did lift the hood to see if there was any water on top of the air cleaner, but found none. Does that mean that water won't intrude at freeway speeds? Sorry, I don't have the answer for you on that question.

Congratulations on your SS, and may you have nothing but blue skies and sunshine on your trip home from SAI.

I was afraid you were going to say that, only got to drive the GT500 250 miles around town on dry pavement. I wonder if the filters are fine enough to keep the water out, kind of maybe soak up the water some. Do you know who's filter is on the car? Maybe I could check with them, that would be the only place the water might get in? Thank you and may your words be the fact - :)

.....and nice collection going on

If you are this concerned, how about a transporter? Might be worth the investment.

Had it transported there, want to drive it back. Was just curious as to what experience people had in the rain with the car and wanted to know if anyone encountered any troubles with the forced air and open filter. I think the best thing to do is find out from the filter manufacturer? Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome to the forum. I havent driven mine in the rain yet, so I really cant help here. I would like to know your CSM number. If you wouldnt mind posting in the CSM thread we would be very happy! :happy feet:

Congrats on the SS. They are great cars and you will love driving her home. Be careful until you get use to it. She will surprise you.

michael morris

CSM07SS0100 - all black rag top - red brakes - 40th emblem in front - Ford Racing Suspension - I'll add it to the thread

Can't wait to drive it - had a blast driving the 500 for a couple hundred miles - Will be driving the snake around 2000 miles over 5 or 6 days - I so can not wait!!!!!!

Lord, what a bunch of girls.

If you drive it in the rain it gets wet, sort of like when you wash it, which is what you do after it stops raining. I believe that Ford used extra special waterproof paint, just like on other mustangs.

The engine does NOT get dirty. You can make it showroom clean with a rag and some ICE, which is what you would do anyway.

The rear axle and the aluminum will corrode if you leave it sit in the garage, you need POR-15 and ACF-50 whether it gets wet or not.

As far as driving, ANY CAR will hydroplane and lose control. Keep your speed reasonable, in heavy rain keep it under 65. Keep your foot out of the pedal and you will have no problem. Leave the TC on, and you will have no problem even if you do something silly.

I've found the GT500 handles very well in the rain. In fact, on a recent trip that I would normally choose another car, I reluctantly chose to drive the Shelby because the weather was bad, and between the brakes and traction control, it was the safest car I owned, and I rather value my hide.

Lord, what a bunch of girls.

If you drive it in the rain it gets wet, sort of like when you wash it, which is what you do after it stops raining. I believe that Ford used extra special waterproof paint, just like on other mustangs.

The engine does NOT get dirty. You can make it showroom clean with a rag and some ICE, which is what you would do anyway.

The rear axle and the aluminum will corrode if you leave it sit in the garage, you need POR-15 and ACF-50 whether it gets wet or not.

As far as driving, ANY CAR will hydroplane and lose control. Keep your speed reasonable, in heavy rain keep it under 65. Keep your foot out of the pedal and you will have no problem. Leave the TC on, and you will have no problem even if you do something silly.

I've found the GT500 handles very well in the rain. In fact, on a recent trip that I would normally choose another car, I reluctantly chose to drive the Shelby because the weather was bad, and between the brakes and traction control, it was the safest car I owned, and I rather value my hide.

:hysterical: You sure are a funny guy!

I know it's gonna get wet and I knew Ford uses the special paint too!!!! :hysterical:

I'll check out the ICE, what is POR-15 and ACF-50??

I'll check out the ICE, what is POR-15 and ACF-50??

I found both of those in threads here.

The rear axle rusts, it's an annoying fact of life. POR-15 is a rust absorbing preventative, super hard paint that is perfect for that. It's extremely permanent, which makes it a pain to use (gloves, newspaper, old clothes are required). You can use any good primer/rust preventative paint, but I believe the POR-15 is the most durable, and the rear axle is a tough environment.

The aluminum parts (basically everything you see) in the engine get white oxidization spots, which is unavoidable. ACF-50 is a clear anti-corrosion formula that was developed for aircraft. Spritz it on, and the aluminum looks like new.

ICE is the Turtlewax ICE Detailer, which is fantastic for hoses and plastic under the hood. Spray on, wipe off.

Just google the first two, you buy POR from the manufacturer, and I got the ACF from Aircraft Spruce. You can get ICE anywhere Turtlewax is sold (parts store, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).

I found both of those in threads here.

The rear axle rusts, it's an annoying fact of life. POR-15 is a rust absorbing preventative, super hard paint that is perfect for that. It's extremely permanent, which makes it a pain to use (gloves, newspaper, old clothes are required). You can use any good primer/rust preventative paint, but I believe the POR-15 is the most durable, and the rear axle is a tough environment.

The aluminum parts (basically everything you see) in the engine get white oxidization spots, which is unavoidable. ACF-50 is a clear anti-corrosion formula that was developed for aircraft. Spritz it on, and the aluminum looks like new.

ICE is the Turtlewax ICE Detailer, which is fantastic for hoses and plastic under the hood. Spray on, wipe off.

Just google the first two, you buy POR from the manufacturer, and I got the ACF from Aircraft Spruce. You can get ICE anywhere Turtlewax is sold (parts store, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).

Awesome - Thanks mciarochi - Have a great day - Appreciate the help

I drove mine home 1700 miles. Got caught in rain and snow and was amazed at how well it handled. I was very nervous in the snow as the 89 MUST be parked, but the Shelby did just fine. Just drove cautiously with no problems. No squirrels for me ;)

Living in Florida its a fact of life that you're going to get rained on. We are running the Venom hood with a JLT CAI. Coming back from N Florida a couple of weekends ago the rain followed us everywhere - Total was 250 miles on the highway with everything from light rain to can't see a d*m thing Florida downpours. I love this car in the rain. Much more stable than my 05 GT. It took about an hour to clean up the engine compartment when we got home & the air filter wasn't wet at all. I would think the SS hood should function the same.

Kathie

I drove mine home 1700 miles. Got caught in rain and snow and was amazed at how well it handled. I was very nervous in the snow as the 89 MUST be parked, but the Shelby did just fine. Just drove cautiously with no problems. No squirrels for me ;)

good to know - thanks

Living in Florida its a fact of life that you're going to get rained on. We are running the Venom hood with a JLT CAI. Coming back from N Florida a couple of weekends ago the rain followed us everywhere - Total was 250 miles on the highway with everything from light rain to can't see a d*m thing Florida downpours. I love this car in the rain. Much more stable than my 05 GT. It took about an hour to clean up the engine compartment when we got home & the air filter wasn't wet at all. I would think the SS hood should function the same.

Kathie

Thanks Kathie - Appreciate the note - Looks like we're almost ready for the road trip!!!

I have your car, except I have tungsten side stripes. I drove it home (stock) 2,200 miles from the dealer. Three days of rain and wet snow (that didn't stick to the road). Zero problems with wet roads, the car felt very stable. As mentioned, stay off the boost, leave traction control on, and you'll feel very comfortable with the handling.

I have your car, except I have tungsten side stripes. I drove it home (stock) 2,200 miles from the dealer. Three days of rain and wet snow (that didn't stick to the road). Zero problems with wet roads, the car felt very stable. As mentioned, stay off the boost, leave traction control on, and you'll feel very comfortable with the handling.

Good News - I'm sure I'll be blasted but - how do I figure out what number of the verts my car is?

Here is a video of my video of 500 racing in the rain.

As a Snake it sticks even better. Your trip should be a blast. Have a safe trip and post some pictures or video when you get back.

John Strauss

Here is a video of my video of 500 racing in the rain.

As a Snake it sticks even better. Your trip should be a blast. Have a safe trip and post some pictures or video when you get back.

John Strauss

John -

Nice Video, looks like it was a fun day even in the rain. Appreciate your posting.

I'll be sure to post pictures and video.

Nice Driving!!!

Jim

I think a Super Snake will handle better in the rain than a truck towing a trailer with a Super Snake on it.

I'm not sure about that, but I've never seen a truck towing a trailer with a Super Snake on it out on the track. If it were any good, you'd think more people would be racing those. :D

I think a Super Snake will handle better in the rain than a truck towing a trailer with a Super Snake on it.

I'm not sure about that, but I've never seen a truck towing a trailer with a Super Snake on it out on the track. If it were any good, you'd think more people would be racing those. :D

:hysterical: ha

Archived