TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quality control

I have 25 cars to choose from every thing from a 1965 Shelby to Porsche caymen S I drive a different car every other day my 2002 is my favortie car it does everything best overall. My insurance is also an issue I am restricted on miles per car per year. In the summer my everyday car is my TR6 in the winter my BMW x3, yes I get it that is why I collect cars and race in vintage races with 2 Bruce

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you DRIVE your M3 and Z3? :talkhand:

Yes I drive both from May through Sep in Wisconsin land of SALT in winter, I also drive both at BMW trackevents and yes the local BMW dealer is the best I have ever used, I tried 4 Ford dealers the comments I heard were you did not buy it from us, we dont know what to do in reference to SAI meds, dirty shops etc, which is why I do most of my own work.

If you spend more time driving your car maybe these items would seem small. 300 miles on your SGT ,10000 miles on your GLHS ( what ever that is ) just shows me you don't get it. 16 months and only 300 miles on your Shelby?? Most people mod and drive these cars with a passion. It's like a Christmas present you haven't opened.

Suggest you read book on Shelby History he built Dodges from 1986-1989 toured factory twice very nice people, also built car with olds engine GLHS means Go Like Hell Shelby I kid you not.

I find it interesting that people are ok with problems with these cars hand built or not, I own a 1987 Shelby GLHS with 10000 mile maybe the current builders should look at how they built those cars, they were modifed alot more than the current cars and I never had one problem with that car and it was cheap in price. Now the 60 Shelbys had poor quality trust me I own some they were not the best sellers but they were and are nice cars, BUT quality control was not in the sixties it should be now it has been 40 years. The only point that I want to make is that every article I read stress Quality inspections, when I picked my SGT up I noticed the scoop rattle in exhaust poor stripes etc .Yes it is a very nice car BUT they are not cheap granted they are hand built

but my brothers Saleen is very nice HAND built car. I will say no more but they cannot continue to turn out cars like this, the market is very large for performance cars hand built or not.

I am a BIG quality freak so no argument with your premise and I am for sure NOT "ok with problems". As I have said, I have filed a claim for every issue, and I will continue to do so until they are fixed or the warranty runs out. I just happen to b believe, until shown otherwise, that everything will be taken care of well before the warranty expires.

As for the future, the SGT is the first of hopefully many new products from SAI and I think they, and we, all learned a lot and I trust all of this was a lesson learned.

I am a BIG quality freak so no argument with your premise and I am for sure NOT "ok with problems". As I have said, I have filed a claim for every issue, and I will continue to do so until they are fixed or the warranty runs out. I just happen to b believe, until shown otherwise, that everything will be taken care of well before the warranty expires.

As for the future, the SGT is the first of hopefully many new products from SAI and I think they, and we, all learned a lot and I trust all of this was a lesson learned.

Well said Jeff Bruce,as I said I do like these cars enought said

I'm not going to get in to a pissing contest, it doesn't matter that much to me. My opinion is what it is and I love my car but that doesn't make me blind to its issues.

+1. I am not blind either and you can't "sell" around these issues. When you do it ruins the credibility, enthusiasm and excitement we all have for these cars. In the end it really doesn't matter that much to me either.

PS: I Love my Shelby GT but dislike "all" the politics! :banghead:

Where do you get this info? I think quite a few are still thinking "Investment" :hysterical3:

Most people do and you are right a FEW don't. We need a poll to clear that up. Ask yourself what your allocation is for collector car market compared to the stock market,real estate,bonds and other investments. If all your funds are in your SGT you are not a investor. You are just a car owner. Now if you buy a SGT in 10years for a great low price and plan on keeping it as an investment, well maybe thats an investment.

Suggest you read book on Shelby History he built Dodges from 1986-1989 toured factory twice very nice people, also built car with olds engine GLHS means Go Like Hell Shelby I kid you not.

I was joking about the GLHS . 25 cars huh, well how about that. You drive one a day , thats great.

...my brothers Saleen is very nice HAND built car.

My experience owning a Saleen S281 Mustang and an S331 F150 truck were the opposite.

When I complained on the Saleen Forum, about 95% of other Saleen owners defended the window louvers falling off, the steering wheel emblem falling off, the poorly fitted body panels, alignment problems, etc.

I don't think that other owners were easier to please than me. I think they were just less willing to admit that we all paid too much for hype; rather than true quality.

In any event, in today's dismal economy, nobody will be able to keep selling defective products for very long.

I think unresolved hood scoop and stripe issues, after 2 years of production, are unacceptable.

I hope the folks at SAI agree and finally " fix " the nagging defects of what are otherwise great cars.

yes my baby has a "hacked" up grille, yes the shifter may rattle sometimes, and yes the hood scoop issue is getting old, BUT its a fualking car, mine also has a few paint chips and a small scratch here and there. I forget about each one of the small issues that the car has everytime i fire her up and bang through the gears. I love my shelby, and Sai, and Team Shelby. I am a PROUD owner and member. SAI will come up with a fix, and i will wait. no sweat. I own a heating and air-conditioning business and am also a firefighter. sometimes brand new systems have problems, sometimes they dont. Instead of pissing and moaning and talking shit we all should be out driving our cars and be thankfull that we can afford these beauties even if they arent perfect. if you want perfect, strip it down and rebuild it your self. There is not one perfect anything anywhere. im not perfect, although many times i will swear i am, deal with it, i do. you might hear me piss and moan at times but come on, rome wasnt built in a day.

Key word here is "COLLECT" cars, Now I understand, you expect perfection so it's a show piece in your Museum.

No I do not expect perfection the Mg and Triumphare not by any means perfect, BUT this is 2008 not the 60s and for money paid I do expect thing to fit and not rattle hand built car or not, The only show ipece that I have and that is not driven is the 1965 Shelby due to cost in restoration and idots on the road, if ever in WI you are wecolme to come to my museum, the walls are plastered with Shelby history ie posters car parts etc, I have been collecting Shelby stuff since the 60s I think you might find it interesting Bruce

No I do not expect perfection the Mg and Triumphare not by any means perfect, BUT this is 2008 not the 60s and for money paid I do expect thing to fit and not rattle hand built car or not, The only show ipece that I have and that is not driven is the 1965 Shelby due to cost in restoration and idots on the road, if ever in WI you are wecolme to come to my museum, the walls are plastered with Shelby history ie posters car parts etc, I have been collecting Shelby stuff since the 60s I think you might find it interesting Bruce

maybe I will sometime on my way to Road America. but just in case you don't have this, use it for what's worth, maybe it can/will help you on your problem with dealers not wanting to help you.

Shelby_GT_07.warranty_procedure_01_23_07.pdf

maybe I will sometime on my way to Road America. but just in case you don't have this, use it for what's worth, maybe it can/will help you on your problem with dealers not wanting to help you.

Thanks for info I will be at Road America for Vintage race in Jul my favorite, I usually park near the Moraine straight, do you know any onfo on Ford Museum I am planning trip to Detroit Auto show this year it has been too long. Interested in going to museum I heard they have Ford GT IV that won Lemans in 1967 please advise Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
My opinion is what it is and I love my car but that doesn't make me blind to its issues.

But....but...but......according to ColdWaterHotRod (and I quote) "what you bought was a piece of history, not a glorified mustang with a body kit, the only perfect Shelby's are the ones that have been restored to the 10th degree".

So maybe you just haven't restored it to enough "degrees" yet. How many degrees are you up to? 5? 6? Maybe a couple more "restores" and it will finally be up to what it should have been to begin with. :hysterical:

ShelbyKindaGuy,

You can say whatever you like or quote me on any issue(s), I don't give a damn. But what I will do is send out a personal invite for you to come to the september (saturday) carshow in Dearborn when we all meet so we can discuss your car issues face to face or should I say face to car so I can fully understand why your so Anti-supportive of CS, SAI & Team Shelby.

ShelbyKindaGuy,

You can say whatever you like or quote me on any issue(s), I don't give a damn. But what I will do is send out a personal invite for you to come to the september (saturday) carshow in Dearborn when we all meet so we can discuss your car issues face to face or should I say face to car so I can fully understand why your so Anti-supportive of CS, SAI & Team Shelby.

ColdwaterHotRod.....I am not really anti-supportive of CS, SAI and Team Shelby. I made my apologies about my earlier remarks to CS but apparently it was glossed over by most of the forum folks including Amy. I have no beef with SAI. I have made a couple posts where I have even stated that I can understand their positions on certain complaints given their specialized niche. And as for service from them I have no complaints thus far even after the FRPP Pack programmer complaints I voiced during my inital joining into the forum. As for Team Shelby I have no bone to pick as the only contact I have with those members are through the public forum topics.

I do have a beef with Amy....and here is my reason why.....She states I am disrepsectful to Carroll Shelby. I admit I was back in April/May. But I have since recently publicly apologized for that but to no avail with her as she just 2-days ago said I was disrepsectful to her and CS. I haven't posted anything about CS since my initial postings. I have witnessed in her postings a total disregard of those customers who are not satisfied with her answers to their issues. She acts like the customer is supposed to just accept her word at its face value. Amy waits far too long to provide a reasonable detailed explanation to the issues being raised. It is very apparent by when and what she posts that she is filtering and screening everything she posts and picking her words as if she is clearing a mine field. You may not agree but it is readily apparent in her responses to people. Her initial responses to customer questions about issues are usually vague and evasive which leaves the customer with more questions than answers. And when the customer starts raising the pressure bar Amy begins to get more direct at taking issue with the customer's response instead of staying directly focused on the issue(s) the customer has.

Unfortunately that IS NOT the reality of doing good business. Over time the scales of the alienated and unsatisfied will tip and their word will spread across in various forms of communication and will hurt SAI sales in the longer run. For example, just the other day I heard from someone at a car show who had their GT500 converted into the 40th annivsary upgrade at the Nevada SAI facility state that despite SAI doing a good job on the car that SAI's communication and handling of the order was absolutely lousy and that they would never consider doing this with SAI ever again.

As for SAI, as I said, I in particular have no beef with them. I do feel however that SAI as an "organization" must endure any trail of perceived dissatisfaction that Amy may generate as a result of her overall demeanor toward those who raise quality assurance questions. The best thing that could happen to SAI is to find a person to put into the CEO position who understands the critical balance between protecting the interests of SAI AND satisfactorily answering the concerns about quality assurance that are being raised by many customers.

And finally I guess I have a beef with some of the people (TS members or not) who just appear to run on sheer unadulterated branding loyalty. These are the folks who constantly circle the wagons and start aggressively posting against those who raise the quality assurance issues. These folks are by far the epitome of the meaning "zealot". Their shear borderline cult-like behavior for the "Shelby" brand does make it extremely difficult for those customers having legitimate quality concerns to keep the focus of their raised concerns at the level of reality as the extreme brand-dedication more often than not spins the problems/issues/concerns raised by customers in an SAI "favorable" light and repeated produces unrealistic responses such as your "buying a piece of history" response. Even that guy responded to you that though he loves his SGT he isn't made blinded to the quality issues.

Its the zealous nature of people who are "brand" fanatics or "zealots" who are adding fuel to the QA issue fires that are being raised instead of just letting business takes it course to resolve the issues to the satisfaction of both the customer and of SAI. I can tell you this that I wouldn't make any remarks I have been making if it weren't for the brand "fanaticism" that permeates every nook and cranny of the SAI forums. I know I have and continue to alienate alot of people, particularly the CS zealots, but that does not mean people who read my opposition disagree with me as I can assure you that is definitely NOT the case. Its just that the brand-fanatics control the forums, but they don't control the local and national club car shows where the reality is being voiced by folks who have been experiencing quality problems and not receiving satisfactory responses from either Amy or SAI agents .

Bravo, SKG. Well said.

As for brand loyality, I'll look for Shelby stuff first, but if what I want isn't available from SAI, I'll shop elsewhere. My SGT doesn't have to be a purebred, but I want it to run (and look) like a thoroubred.

I understand your points. I myself also see alot of folks using this board as a venting place. What I mean by this is instead of going to a dealer, any dealer, they come hear & complain 1st hand, they bitch, moan & groan, but yet never tried contacting the Ford dealer 1st or calling SAI. Instead they want to go directly to the forum boards where the whole world is watching to grandstand with a bad post to see if they can get the problem resolved that way instead of going thru the warrantee procedure & agreement. But yet when challenged about how they tried or steps taken to solve the problem they have nothing to say but I paid this & it should be 100% perfect or I don't like or trust my dealer or any dealer. I truely am sorry for those that have probelms that seem like a major flaw or problem. But where else can you go ask questions to the president of a company & get a reply? Jack Roush or Steve Saleen don't hop on the forum boards to directly communicate with their customers. We are are so very lucky to have a Shelby making/producing automobiles again & if we turn on them as quickly as we tried to buy the cars, whos to say they don't just get fed up with us & throw up their hands to call it quits? The where we all be? If we don't work or communicate with them in a more professional way we will lose more then we ever thought we could & personally I would like to see them around for another 10+ years.

SKG - I am with you on "most" of your complaints. But I know for a fact that Ms. Amy does read these boards, drives the SGT herself and she is WAY more approachable than Rousch or Saleen would ever do. I think it will all be handled more sooner than later especially if they want to continue this brand. If they don;t want to continue the brand then we'll have our cars exactly as they look now, unless you have deep pockets and want to go legal-

I understand your points. I myself also see alot of folks using this board as a venting place. What I mean by this is instead of going to a dealer, any dealer, they come hear & complain 1st hand, they bitch, moan & groan, but yet never tried contacting the Ford dealer 1st or calling SAI. Instead they want to go directly to the forum boards where the whole world is watching to grandstand with a bad post to see if they can get the problem resolved that way instead of going thru the warrantee procedure & agreement. But yet when challenged about how they tried or steps taken to solve the problem they have nothing to say but I paid this & it should be 100% perfect or I don't like or trust my dealer or any dealer. I truely am sorry for those that have probelms that seem like a major flaw or problem. But where else can you go ask questions to the president of a company & get a reply? Jack Roush or Steve Saleen don't hop on the forum boards to directly communicate with their customers. We are are so very lucky to have a Shelby making/producing automobiles again & if we turn on them as quickly as we tried to buy the cars, whos to say they don't just get fed up with us & throw up their hands to call it quits? The where we all be? If we don't work or communicate with them in a more professional way we will lose more then we ever thought we could & personally I would like to see them around for another 10+ years.

I would like to see them around longer than that if possible...this is a customer forum however and as such whether they have gone through the correct warranty procedure route or not they are enabled by the forum to post and air-out here since the topics are open for discussion.

However may I suggest that if someone's issue is in the formal SAI process of being addressed then perhaps SAI should create policy whereby such a particular persons issues being officially addressed by SAI cannot be entered or discussed in the open forums. Create a special private forum section for warranty resolution whereby when a customer enters through the formal SAI resolution process, the customer receives a password to enter into that forum upon each sign-in. This would allow the customer to talk directly to SAI through the forum without publicly causing a ruckus and then prevents discussions between customers. Any posts or issues managing to find their way to the the public SAI forums can then be removed or immediately closed. This then introduces some formal control by SAI that everyone must abide by or they will be barred from use of the public forum.

Jeff shifter had rattle at high speeds removed repaired rubber piece in rear, stripes had ALOT of bubbles in them after looking at dealer body shops dirty and not sure how to repair? now this is new car, I spent the money and took to body shop that painted my 65 and 67 Shelbys now perfect but cost me, removed exhaust cut rear hanger Ford dealer heard no noise after leaving car for two days, did I mention I had to spend money at dent doctor afterwards said dent was htere right! the list goes on. This is why I do my own repairs.

Where in Wi are you Bruce? My dealership is in WI and I've never had any problems with their service department.

I would like to see them around longer than that if possible...this is a customer forum however and as such whether they have gone through the correct warranty procedure route or not they are enabled by the forum to post and air-out here since the topics are open for discussion.

However may I suggest that if someone's issue is in the formal SAI process of being addressed then perhaps SAI should create policy whereby such a particular persons issues being officially addressed by SAI cannot be entered or discussed in the open forums. Create a special private forum section for warranty resolution whereby when a customer enters through the formal SAI resolution process, the customer receives a password to enter into that forum upon each sign-in. This would allow the customer to talk directly to SAI through the forum without publicly causing a ruckus and then prevents discussions between customers. Any posts or issues managing to find their way to the the public SAI forums can then be removed or immediately closed. This then introduces some formal control by SAI that everyone must abide by or they will be barred from use of the public forum.

There is a warranty process between the customer, Ford, and SAI. That's a private matter facilitated by the dealer. When you move things out of that process it can cause legal and financial issues such as revenue recognition and SOX compliance. You can't have side deals and conversations to resolve warranty issues. There needs to be ONE size fits ALL or the warranty and the process can be called into question. There are also issues of how the company accounts for warranty claims and the costs as well as the deferred revenue allocated to pay for the warranty repairs.

What might look good from a customer service standpoint can be VERY bad from a business standpoint and in some cases legally not possible.

Archived