TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quality control

I have owned my SGT since Feb of 07 and car has only 300 miles and I have had to repair numerous items I think that for what we pay this is not good. I keep an eye on this web and I am surprised that problems continue. Everything I read to include the original SAI mazazine stressed Quality control inspections, I am on my second hood scoop and if you could have seen the first there is no way someone even looked at it, my next question does Ford look at this forum and see the problems or is it SAI noly. I spoke with Ford and they said final fix for scoop is maybe next year? Waht is up with that. Are most of these cars problem free it seems the same people are having problems or do the others not care? Would like some feed back from someone at Ford sometime Bruce

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have owned my SGT since Feb of 07 and car has only 300 miles and I have had to repair numerous items I think that for what we pay this is not good. I keep an eye on this web and I am surprised that problems continue. Everything I read to include the original SAI mazazine stressed Quality control inspections, I am on my second hood scoop and if you could have seen the first there is no way someone even looked at it, my next question does Ford look at this forum and see the problems or is it SAI noly. I spoke with Ford and they said final fix for scoop is maybe next year? Waht is up with that. Are most of these cars problem free it seems the same people are having problems or do the others not care? Would like some feed back from someone at Ford sometime Bruce

Amy has responded to the hood scoop concerns in her Q&A forum as well as in the Hood Scoop thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=459363

I too have had "numerous items" repaired but chalk it up to a hand built car using new parts that didn't perform as expected. That's why we have a warranty and all my issues, except the hood scoop, have been addressed and addressed quickly I hope that's been your experience as well.

Maybe I'm less sensitive to the issues given how much enjoyment driving the car brings????

Please list exactly what your problems are, how was it handled, who you talked with or wrote to & why you feel their is no quality built into these cars. Could it be that some of you or (us) think there is such a thing as a perfect car in every way to roll off of the assembly line at the plant & then make a cross country trip for mods & then shipped again around the USA to be sold? YES THE HOOD SCOOP is an issue & Amy has said 1000's of times they are working on it. They are a small company doing the best they can with what consultants & suppliers they have to work with. I think some of you need to give them a break because I have yet to see someone get screwed by them, they will make it right & as lonng as you don't point out the flaws to your friends & people looking at it, they will never know.

flame suit on :superhero:

I am not saying that the Basic Ford Mustang is not good what I am saying is that same problems that I had in Feb 07 cotinue today shifter problems stripe isuues the imfamous scoop. It just seems that for a new car and not cheap maybe they should have checked things more before production. I think it is going to cost them some money to make all right. In reference to who I spoke with mainly Ford Racing who have been helpful and then there are the fORD dealers who have not been. I have owned and still own alot of cars, when I go into a dealer ship I expcect to be greeted and not told we cannot fix SAI installs hence I do repairs myself 20 years as Army tank mechanic I can fix things. Now I take my M3 or Z3 BMWs into dealer greeted problems fixed and car is returned CLEAN not grease nicks dents and other damage people here experience. I have no respect for Ford dealers.

I am not saying that the Basic Ford Mustang is not good what I am saying is that same problems that I had in Feb 07 cotinue today shifter problems stripe isuues the imfamous scoop. It just seems that for a new car and not cheap maybe they should have checked things more before production. I think it is going to cost them some money to make all right. In reference to who I spoke with mainly Ford Racing who have been helpful and then there are the fORD dealers who have not been. I have owned and still own alot of cars, when I go into a dealer ship I expcect to be greeted and not told we cannot fix SAI installs hence I do repairs myself 20 years as Army tank mechanic I can fix things. Now I take my M3 or Z3 BMWs into dealer greeted problems fixed and car is returned CLEAN not grease nicks dents and other damage people here experience. I have no respect for Ford dealers.

What's wrong with your shifter? I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ but you've only driven the car 300 miles what specifically is the shifter problem you're having? What stripe issues? I have an 07 a few months newer than yours so I'm interested in what issues you're seeing and why you haven't been able to get them resolved. Armed with the right information, such as the SGT warranty process and such it shouldn't be an issue getting anything fixed including the shifter and stripes BOTH of which I have had replaced or fixed.

I can't speak to any dealer issues but I see you are in WI, there are a lot of high quality dealers in N. IL if you're over the border.

Jeff the issues are well documented. The guy has 20 years in the Army, with tanks, trust me he knows the issues. They are all over this site. And he is a wrench. I really believe that SAI deserves a break, but we all do know the issues...

It took me trips to about 5 dealers before I found one I would buy a car from. Maybe you could try another dealer. I found huge differences in quality between the dealers and the quality of the cars on the respective lots. I now drive 40 minutes to go to mine.

Everything you mentioned has been fixed by others under warranty. They will fix it.

I however, am leary to have anything messed with for fear it will only make the problem worse. This has been my experience with other vehicles.

The hood scoop final fix should be coming soon...You do have 3 years on the warranty BTW.

Hope this helps!

Jeff shifter had rattle at high speeds removed repaired rubber piece in rear, stripes had ALOT of bubbles in them after looking at dealer body shops dirty and not sure how to repair? now this is new car, I spent the money and took to body shop that painted my 65 and 67 Shelbys now perfect but cost me, removed exhaust cut rear hanger Ford dealer heard no noise after leaving car for two days, did I mention I had to spend money at dent doctor afterwards said dent was htere right! the list goes on. This is why I do my own repairs.

I have the hood scoop issue, and I had a faulty clutch (factory, non-Shelby defect) upon purchase. The clutch issue was resolved by Ford Racing and Ford (my dealer), and they did a very good job on that. I believe that the hood scoop issue will be resolved by Shelby, as Amy Bolan has promised. Beyond those two issues, So far, I find that quality of the Shelby GT to be very good, as good as any car I have had, and that includes a '90 Porsche and a '97 M3, especially considering the price.

All these quality statements must be consider in the context of price when comparing Fords to BMWs. Now, when you're comparing Ford GT500's, SS's or KR's to BMWs, then you "should" expect quality and service comparable to BMW in my opinion, however that's simply not going to happen because they are still a Ford and Mustang, which is essentially a $20,000.00 vehicle (base model).

GT500, SS and KR owners have paid for something else, however, that no BMW owner would have...a very special, rare, SHELBY vehicle, with a hand-build engine and hand-installed performance options. BMWs are everywhere, common vehicles. Likewise, Shelby GT's have hand-installed performance options, with the extra special exculsivity of being modified at the Shelby plant in Vegas.

I agree that the Ford dealerships (both sales and service) are not as well run as BMW dealerships in general, but again, you pay for that in the price of those cars and the price of those cars' parts and service. Nothing is free.

My Shelby GT clutch was replaced by my dealer, and I've had one oil / filter change done by them. The car was not washed by them following the service (actually, I'd rather they didnt do that), but it did come back to me in the same shape that I left it with them. With respect to dealer complaints, it really depends on the dealer you are using.

Jeff shifter had rattle at high speeds removed repaired rubber piece in rear, stripes had ALOT of bubbles in them after looking at dealer body shops dirty and not sure how to repair? now this is new car, I spent the money and took to body shop that painted my 65 and 67 Shelbys now perfect but cost me, removed exhaust cut rear hanger Ford dealer heard no noise after leaving car for two days, did I mention I had to spend money at dent doctor afterwards said dent was htere right! the list goes on. This is why I do my own repairs.

There are an aweful lot of cheerleaders on this site who want to cut Shelby and Ford dealerships a LOT of slack. The problems with these cars are well known and documented, I would say quality control at SAI was mediocre at best. I will say that they have been responsive in getting all my issues fixed although the hood scoop and the length of time its taking is a bit disconcerting. The idea that you pay more for a BMW so they have a better run facility is BS in my opinion. Its all about how a bussiness is managed and the expectations and standards they hold there people too. Quality is just good bussiness short term losses can equal long term success just an opinion of course.

The problems with these cars are well known and documented, I would say quality control at SAI was mediocre at best.

My issue isn't wether or not the discrepancies are corrected under the warranty. These are for the most part not items that broke or prematurely wore out.

Things such as the infamous hood scoop, the fact that the car doesn't have a proper alignment, and according to my local frame shop, will require either modifying the strut tower bolt holes (elongating them) or installing adjustable camber plates, the shoddy hatchet job modifying the original front grille,

The rattle in the shifter under acceleration.

These are not Mustang or Ford problems. These are a direct result of the workmanship and quality control at the final assembly location.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my Shelby GT, but for the additional price above a Mustang GT, I expected much better quality product.

If no one voices their opinion about these problems, just gets them fixed under warranty, than the problem doesn't really exist. Future vehicles will be built the same way and it will be up to the customer to take the time off work or whatever to visit their local dealer (or drive to a different dealer) to get things corrected to the standards that should have been met at the time of assembly

SAI has came a long way in a short amount of time, considering Ford asked them to rush this into production at the request of the dealers after the GT-H's came out. SAI has corrected some of the "shabby" work as you so call it, but what you bought was a piece of history, not a glorified mustang with a body kit, the only perfect Shelby's are the ones that have been restored to the 10th degree.

Well, I suppose I'm one of the cheerleaders, eh? Time for my .02C...

I've had a few minor issues with LuLu and they were repaired correctly by my local L/M dealership where I've been a customer for over 20 years. Yes, I nurture this relationship in my favor, but it's paid off big time. It's no problem for them to contact SAI/FRP for warranty claims, and they seem to enjoy having LuLu in house. I get a free loaner, and a freshly detailed LuLu when I return. When it comes to mods, they will install anything I want, including a supercharger kit without any warranty concerns (as long as it's tuned conservatively).

I sympathize with the disappointments posted here, sad to read about them. But, I bought my SGT to drive the snot out of it and I do. Quite naturally, something will go wrong eventually, and I'll have to fix it. Meanwhile, I'm having the time of my life.

I do not forsee any "collector's value" down the road. The SGT is just like so many other "niche" automobiles today, limited production on a MY basis soon to be overwritten (and overshadowed) by the next latest edition niche car. Moreover, the automobile market is fickle, your could end up with collector's value from what is imperfect about the car, and not what is perfect.

This is not the most expensive automobile I have owned, it cost me 34K while my first Marauder cost me 42K. I sunk a lot more into it after that, close to 70K total, and I sold it for 25K. Automobiles are not a good investment, even sitting still in storage, you lose money from the moment you sign the papers. Like a loaf of bread, or, a gallon of milk, the clock is ticking. Enjoy it while it's fresh.

Yes, I agree that there are some shortcomings with SAI and QC is an issue to be discussed, but they are getting better at it as the business grows. However, stand back and look at trhe larger picture. There is not one mass-produced automobile in today's world that does not have some QC issue somewhere. Flaws in assembly go hand-in-hand with mass production, it's the nature of the beast because it's people doing the assembly, and people doing the QC inspection.

I just read this thread from the top and comments posted are beginning to appear as SAI bashing. This disappoints me because I am very thankful the SGT was designed and produced. I am very proud of my SGT, despite it's apparent flaws. I don't think we need to do this stuff here. I also saw this apparent bashing over the Terlingua event, and I really think it should be toned down a bit. Team Shelby is our host, and SAI gave us the SGT. Is it all really that bad?

I don't believe so, but if it's that bad for any of y'all...Move on? You bought a car and it's just a car. You didn't marry it, no divorce papers are required. If you're that unhappy with it all, sell it.

Just my .02C, gents. Happy motoring?

The idea that you pay more for a BMW so they have a better run facility is BS in my opinion. Its all about how a bussiness is managed and the expectations and standards they hold there people too.

In theory, you are correct and I would agree that it "should" be BS, but the reality is that BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. cost lots more AND their service is better. The less expensive car makes are worse.

Well, I suppose I'm one of the cheerleaders, eh? Time for my .02C...

I've had a few minor issues with LuLu and they were repaired correctly by my local L/M dealership where I've been a customer for over 20 years. Yes, I nurture this relationship in my favor, but it's paid off big time. It's no problem for them to contact SAI/FRP for warranty claims, and they seem to enjoy having LuLu in house. I get a free loaner, and a freshly detailed LuLu when I return. When it comes to mods, they will install anything I want, including a supercharger kit without any warranty concerns (as long as it's tuned conservatively).

I sympathize with the disappointments posted here, sad to read about them. But, I bought my SGT to drive the snot out of it and I do. Quite naturally, something will go wrong eventually, and I'll have to fix it. Meanwhile, I'm having the time of my life.

I do not forsee any "collector's value" down the road. The SGT is just like so many other "niche" automobiles today, limited production on a MY basis soon to be overwritten (and overshadowed) by the next latest edition niche car. Moreover, the automobile market is fickle, your could end up with collector's value from what is imperfect about the car, and not what is perfect.

This is not the most expensive automobile I have owned, it cost me 34K while my first Marauder cost me 42K. I sunk a lot more into it after that, close to 70K total, and I sold it for 25K. Automobiles are not a good investment, even sitting still in storage, you lose money from the moment you sign the papers. Like a loaf of bread, or, a gallon of milk, the clock is ticking. Enjoy it while it's fresh.

Yes, I agree that there are some shortcomings with SAI and QC is an issue to be discussed, but they are getting better at it as the business grows. However, stand back and look at trhe larger picture. There is not one mass-produced automobile in today's world that does not have some QC issue somewhere. Flaws in assembly go hand-in-hand with mass production, it's the nature of the beast because it's people doing the assembly, and people doing the QC inspection.

I just read this thread from the top and comments posted are beginning to appear as SAI bashing. This disappoints me because I am very thankful the SGT was designed and produced. I am very proud of my SGT, despite it's apparent flaws. I don't think we need to do this stuff here. I also saw this apparent bashing over the Terlingua event, and I really think it should be toned down a bit. Team Shelby is our host, and SAI gave us the SGT. Is it all really that bad?

I don't believe so, but if it's that bad for any of y'all...Move on? You bought a car and it's just a car. You didn't marry it, no divorce papers are required. If you're that unhappy with it all, sell it.

Just my .02C, gents. Happy motoring?

+ 1 very well said

In theory, you are correct and I would agree that it "should" be BS, but the reality is that BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. cost lots more AND their service is better. The less expensive car makes are worse.

LOTS MORE.................. You can buy each of those Makes for Low to mid $30's New......... Just not the TOP Models.

BUT, as stated previous, the Shelby GT's are Hand Built (Transformed) and they are building (by Hand) a couple 1000 Cars a Year with just a Hand Full of People.

I can understand the Vinyl Stripe Problems, you NEVER put a Vinyl Stripe on a Body Part (of the Car) and then Bolt something down on top of it and not expect the Vinyl to wrinkle, Vinyl moves.

As far as the Horizontle Lines go, those are made by the installer putting them on the Car, sqeeging out the water then finding out it has to come back up and the Line is where the installer stops the lift. Same happens if the installer installs the Stripes Dry, but hopefully the stripes are installed Wet.

Jeff the issues are well documented. The guy has 20 years in the Army, with tanks, trust me he knows the issues. They are all over this site. And he is a wrench. I really believe that SAI deserves a break, but we all do know the issues...

It took me trips to about 5 dealers before I found one I would buy a car from. Maybe you could try another dealer. I found huge differences in quality between the dealers and the quality of the cars on the respective lots. I now drive 40 minutes to go to mine.

Everything you mentioned has been fixed by others under warranty. They will fix it.

I however, am leary to have anything messed with for fear it will only make the problem worse. This has been my experience with other vehicles.

The hood scoop final fix should be coming soon...You do have 3 years on the warranty BTW.

Hope this helps!

I realize there are common issues which I share but I was asking specifically what his issues were to confirm BEFORE I offered up suggestions.

My issue isn't wether or not the discrepancies are corrected under the warranty. These are for the most part not items that broke or prematurely wore out.

Things such as the infamous hood scoop, the fact that the car doesn't have a proper alignment, and according to my local frame shop, will require either modifying the strut tower bolt holes (elongating them) or installing adjustable camber plates, the shoddy hatchet job modifying the original front grille,

The rattle in the shifter under acceleration.

These are not Mustang or Ford problems. These are a direct result of the workmanship and quality control at the final assembly location.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my Shelby GT, but for the additional price above a Mustang GT, I expected much better quality product.

If no one voices their opinion about these problems, just gets them fixed under warranty, than the problem doesn't really exist. Future vehicles will be built the same way and it will be up to the customer to take the time off work or whatever to visit their local dealer (or drive to a different dealer) to get things corrected to the standards that should have been met at the time of assembly

All of the above have been discussed since early 2007 and there are either fixes today, planned, or alternates. Voicing opinion is all well but filing a warranty claim is how you "get things corrected in the future".

Shifter rattle is a known issue on some cars. Mine went away when the hangers were cut, I had it real bad, others when the shifter was replaced, either way go in and get it fixed under warranty or cut them yourself.

Again, can't help on he dealer issues!

There are an aweful lot of cheerleaders on this site who want to cut Shelby and Ford dealerships a LOT of slack. The problems with these cars are well known and documented, I would say quality control at SAI was mediocre at best. I will say that they have been responsive in getting all my issues fixed although the hood scoop and the length of time its taking is a bit disconcerting. The idea that you pay more for a BMW so they have a better run facility is BS in my opinion. Its all about how a bussiness is managed and the expectations and standards they hold there people too. Quality is just good bussiness short term losses can equal long term success just an opinion of course.

One person's "cheerleader" is another person's balanced view. I have had almost every issue thus far and installed multiple scoops and stripes. Just had a muffler hanger fall off and now I have a new muffler on order so never let it be said I think everything is hunky-dory!

I do however understand this is a hand built cars, placed into the market quickly (have we forgotten "go fast"), and not too far off what those in the 60s experienced. I intend to own my car a very long time. I will get the issues worked out. This is the 10th Mustang I have owned and all have had some issues, as have my Jag, my Lexus, and my Infinity. They are cars!

The hood scoop is the only thing that I am aware of that is still outstanding without a fix, either under warranty in the case of what you got, or otherwise as in the case of camber and the "hacked" grill...which by the way I prefer over the 08 grill because it makes for a black background behind the grill rather than seeing the radiator!

See, ones man's "hacked grill" is another man's functional enhancement!

;)

We we all want the same thing and that's for issues to be taken care of I think for some of us we just take it in stride confident it will all be taken care of. I drove today and gawd I had just as much fun as I did 13 months ago when I first got in the car...I have no regrets.

One person's "cheerleader" is another person's balanced view. I have had almost every issue thus far and installed multiple scoops and stripes. Just had a muffler hanger fall off and now I have a new muffler on order so never let it be said I think everything is hunky-dory!

I do however understand this is a hand built cars, placed into the market quickly (have we forgotten "go fast"), and not too far off what those in the 60s experienced. I intend to own my car a very long time. I will get the issues worked out. This is the 10th Mustang I have owned and all have had some issues, as have my Jag, my Lexus, and my Infinity. They are cars!

The hood scoop is the only thing that I am aware of that is still outstanding without a fix, either under warranty in the case of what you got, or otherwise as in the case of camber and the "hacked" grill...which by the way I prefer over the 08 grill because it makes for a black background behind the grill rather than seeing the radiator!

See, ones man's "hacked grill" is another man's functional enhancement!

;)

We we all want the same thing and that's for issues to be taken care of I think for some of us we just take it in stride confident it will all be taken care of. I drove today and gawd I had just as much fun as I did 13 months ago when I first got in the car...I have no regrets.

I'm not going to get in to a pissing contest, it doesn't matter that much to me. My opinion is what it is and I love my car but that doesn't make me blind to its issues.

I'm not going to get in to a pissing contest, it doesn't matter that much to me. My opinion is what it is and I love my car but that doesn't make me blind to its issues.

"Pissing contest"? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I, and I'm for sure not blind to issues I just choose to deal with them differently.

All the best!

I find it interesting that people are ok with problems with these cars hand built or not, I own a 1987 Shelby GLHS with 10000 mile maybe the current builders should look at how they built those cars, they were modifed alot more than the current cars and I never had one problem with that car and it was cheap in price. Now the 60 Shelbys had poor quality trust me I own some they were not the best sellers but they were and are nice cars, BUT quality control was not in the sixties it should be now it has been 40 years. The only point that I want to make is that every article I read stress Quality inspections, when I picked my SGT up I noticed the scoop rattle in exhaust poor stripes etc .Yes it is a very nice car BUT they are not cheap granted they are hand built

but my brothers Saleen is very nice HAND built car. I will say no more but they cannot continue to turn out cars like this, the market is very large for performance cars hand built or not.

I find it interesting that people are ok with problems with these cars hand built or not, I own a 1987 Shelby GLHS with 10000 mile maybe the current builders should look at how they built those cars, they were modifed alot more than the current cars and I never had one problem with that car and it was cheap in price. Now the 60 Shelbys had poor quality trust me I own some they were not the best sellers but they were and are nice cars, BUT quality control was not in the sixties it should be now it has been 40 years. The only point that I want to make is that every article I read stress Quality inspections, when I picked my SGT up I noticed the scoop rattle in exhaust poor stripes etc .Yes it is a very nice car BUT they are not cheap granted they are hand built

but my brothers Saleen is very nice HAND built car. I will say no more but they cannot continue to turn out cars like this, the market is very large for performance cars hand built or not.

If you spend more time driving your car maybe these items would seem small. 300 miles on your SGT ,10000 miles on your GLHS ( what ever that is ) just shows me you don't get it. 16 months and only 300 miles on your Shelby?? Most people mod and drive these cars with a passion. It's like a Christmas present you haven't opened.

I have faith that SAI would like us all to be happy with our cars and they have and will continue to try and fix any problems.

I for one am glad I am waiting for the final solutions to the scoop fix. Now there is a Kenne Belle option! :happy feet:

I guess I might be considered a cheerleader, this was my first new personal car (opposed to family car) and I am never selling it. Not beacause I think I will make big bucks on it, but beacause I like it, I think the body style is classic and most of all I really enjoy driving it. I have seen the 60's Shelbys up close and I think our SGT's are very true to that spirit. Flaws and all.

That is the reason I chose mine over a 911, vette, MB or jag. I looked at and drove all of them, they were not even close to the feeling I got driving the SGT. Nice cars but did not suit me. Cars are about passion and feelings for me, I will never drive a Toyota Camry or the like daily EVER. Life is way too short for cheap liquor and boring cars.

I also agree with LULU, except that some folks cannot afford to sell the cars now and take the financial hit. Or would not want too take the loss.

Saying this I am confident that any issues I might have will be resolved, SAI is a company of fellow enthusiasts, and that I am certain of.

The car really is cool, period. Could things like the scoop been put on differently sure, but when you make decisions in hindsight its easy.

SAI is in my opinion doing very cool things and trying as hard as they can.

As a guy who has built hot rod stuff I can assure you its never perfect, and the SGT is a modified car.

Dealers are all very different, shop around!

I am done with the rant now! Burnouts all around!

I have faith that SAI would like us all to be happy with our cars and they have and will continue to try and fix any problems.

I for one am glad I am waiting for the final solutions to the scoop fix. Now there is a Kenne Belle option! :happy feet:

I guess I might be considered a cheerleader, this was my first new personal car (opposed to family car) and I am never selling it. Not beacause I think I will make big bucks on it, but beacause I like it, I think the body style is classic and most of all I really enjoy driving it. I have seen the 60's Shelbys up close and I think our SGT's are very true to that spirit. Flaws and all.

That is the reason I chose mine over a 911, vette, MB or jag. I looked at and drove all of them, they were not even close to the feeling I got driving the SGT. Nice cars but did not suit me. Cars are about passion and feelings for me, I will never drive a Toyota Camry or the like daily EVER. Life is way too short for cheap liquor and boring cars.

I also agree with LULU, except that some folks cannot afford to sell the cars now and take the financial hit. Or would not want too take the loss.

Saying this I am confident that any issues I might have will be resolved, SAI is a company of fellow enthusiasts, and that I am certain of.

The car really is cool, period. Could things like the scoop been put on differently sure, but when you make decisions in hindsight its easy.

SAI is in my opinion doing very cool things and trying as hard as they can.

As a guy who has built hot rod stuff I can assure you its never perfect, and the SGT is a modified car.

Dealers are all very different, shop around!

I am done with the rant now! Burnouts all around!

WELL said !!!

Do you DRIVE your M3 and Z3? :talkhand:

Archived