TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Damaged My SGT

ngnear

I took my 08 SGT to the dealership on June 21 to have the stipes on the hood replaced. They were wrinkled around the hood scoop from SAI. Warranty work.

When I picked it up on June 28 the hood sccop looked good on the stripes, no wrinkles. I was told that they repainted the hood scoop and also painted the blue stripe on. (Not what I really wanted to do as I wanted to keep the car somewhat orginal.) I was in a hurry so I left with the car to get home. I had a lot going on that day. On the way home I noticed they had driven the car approx. 60 miles in one week and the radio station was on a new hard rock channel. I was now getting an uneasy feeling. All work was to have been completed in the shop.

I did not have a chance to look at the car until today. Here is what I discovered.

Under the hood it looked they had driven the car in the rain. So I took the car to the car wash to wash the engine bay and unside of the car. Detail it again. It was perfect when I dropped it off as I had just been to a couple of car shows.

As I washed the lower front end of the car I noticed that they had apparently hit something as the under side of the front valance is severly scraped on the drivers side (I will post a pic a little later). This is were I went bolistic. Now I am looking for other issues.

I also noticed that the paint on the hood scoop does not match the stripes. The stripes are not spaced equally around the washer sprayers. The blue stripe on the hood scoop is not the same width as the spacing between the silver stripes. The silver strips coverge at the leading edge of the hood. Goes from 1" to approx. 3/4".

Then I get the back of the car...why the back...I noticed what looked like a hair on the tail lense...the hair does not come off. I look closer more scratches...what's this...no way... those $#%$^#%$. They chipped the paint on the edge of the tail light and tried to touch it up with some off color blue paint.

Now I am really hot.

Can't wait till morning. The Owner of the dealership is getting and ear full.

Can any of the dealers out there give me some advice before I say or do something stupid? If I replace the front valance or have any body work done on the car, will it go onto the carfax report?

Any advise would be appreciated.

I feel like my car has been wrecked by my dealership.

I took my 08 SGT to the dealership on June 21 to have the stipes on the hood replaced. They were wrinkled around the hood scoop from SAI. Warranty work.

When I picked it up on June 28 the hood sccop looked good on the stripes, no wrinkles. I was told that they repainted the hood scoop and also painted the blue stripe on. (Not what I really wanted to do as I wanted to keep the car somewhat orginal.) I was in a hurry so I left with the car to get home. I had a lot going on that day. On the way home I noticed they had driven the car approx. 60 miles in one week and the radio station was on a new hard rock channel. I was now getting an uneasy feeling. All work was to have been completed in the shop.

I did not have a chance to look at the car until today. Here is what I discovered.

Under the hood it looked they had driven the car in the rain. So I took the car to the car wash to wash the engine bay and unside of the car. Detail it again. It was perfect when I dropped it off as I had just been to a couple of car shows.

As I washed the lower front end of the car I noticed that they had apparently hit something as the under side of the front valance is severly scraped on the drivers side (I will post a pic a little later). This is were I went bolistic. Now I am looking for other issues.

I also noticed that the paint on the hood scoop does not match the stripes. The stripes are not spaced equally around the washer sprayers. The blue stripe on the hood scoop is not the same width as the spacing between the silver stripes. The silver strips coverge at the leading edge of the hood. Goes from 1" to approx. 3/4".

Then I get the back of the car...why the back...I noticed what looked like a hair on the tail lense...the hair does not come off. I look closer more scratches...what's this...no way... those $#%$^#%$. They chipped the paint on the edge of the tail light and tried to touch it up with some off color blue paint.

Now I am really hot.

Can't wait till morning. The Owner of the dealership is getting and ear full.

Can any of the dealers out there give me some advice before I say or do something stupid? If I replace the front valance or have any body work done on the car, will it go onto the carfax report?

Any advise would be appreciated.

I feel like my car has been wrecked by my dealership.

Dude that sounds messes up....that is a reason I am not going to let my car get it's scraped bumper fixed by the dealer...I just can not come to terms with trusting them.....I will only from now on let a Shelby certified mech. touch my car...I hope you get better results than what I have gotten...

This is one of my phobias. I hope you get it all resolved good as new. When I bought my car through the military car sales I had to choose a dealer for delivery. When I contacted the dealer to let them know the car would be coming to their dealership I warned them not to let any lotboys take it on a joy ride. I probably came across as being rude but this is the very reason I had these concerns. They assured me they would not and I had no problems. I still don't feel comfortable with leaving my car overnight for service.

This kind of thing is turning out to be not so surprising. There have been a handfull of stories like this. Makes me wonder just what the hell is wrong with these people at the shops where this happens. You would think that people would have a little more respect for other people's cars. ngnear, I hope you can get this resolved with them. If this happened to me I would probably go down there and start choking people. My anger would get the best of me for sure. Everytime I read one of these stories I get even more worried about getting my hood scoop fixed. I'm still waiting to hear back from dealer after pics were emailed.

Took my GT500 in for a front end shimmy,Tire related I'm sure.Pick up my car THREE DAYS LATER!They put 50 miles on it and used a half tank of gas.HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.WTF were they doing I wonder?I can only imagine.Good thing is my car is so new I haven't received my survey on it yet.Hope there is a section for freelance comments :hysterical:

Here are a few pictures of the damage.

Front Valance

th_Scratch04.jpg

Rear chip in paint they tried to cover up

th_100_0142.jpg

Leading edge of hood

th_Stripes01.jpg

Hood scoop not the correct shade of silver. Notice that they painted the blue strip on the hood scoop. The blue strip is too narrow.

th_HoodScoop04.jpg

Front Valance looks like they either put it on a lift and hit the ramp too hard or fast. Or the porter parked too close to a curb etc.

Leading edge of hood....With all the talk about stripes this is not too far off from stock. There is a curve to the hood and when you get to the bottom the stripes have tendency to come inward and do even on those that come from SAI but a little less than this. Your stripes overall look REALLY good. I don't know why they painted the scoop. Maybe got the wrong one and didn't want to deal with it? But I do think overall your stripes look really good and I'd be VERY happy with the result compared to others I've seen.

Hood scoop not the correct shade of silver? Are you saying that they painted the entire scoop and not just the vista blue stripe? Are you sure? That makes no sense at all. However I will say that the silver on the scoops does not always perfectly match the stripes. I've had 4 scoops and it's a really a "close enough" thing with some scoops a flat paint, one was rather glossy, and stripes that were both flat and glossy. In other words I suspect they only painted the stripe. I can't see why they wold paint the entire scoop. If they did I'd have it redone who knows how good their paint job will hold up.

I do like that the blur stripe is painted if it's done well. I'm sure it looks better than the tape doesn't it?

Anyway, good luck!

There seems to be alot of reported abuse of the SGT by dealers. One suggestion I would make regarding each time an SGT is going out to some shop for repair or maintenance is to carry a "Powershot" digital camera and do an inspection of the car with the service manager of the shop. Take pictures while you are doing the inspection of every side of the car inside and out, under the hood and rear deck lid and under each bumper. And lastly take a picture of the miles showing on the odometer. The pictures should be taken of the good or any known bad areas so that you have a record of how the car looked at the time control was turned over to the service area.

I do this everytime I have my SGT serviced by anyone. It sends a clear message out to the service center that you are expecting the car to be returned to you in the exact physical condition it was brought in. It also is an implied signal to the service dealer that they are certainly going to be held liable for any damage that appears beyond the images taken. And it establishes a clear record for the courts should a lawsuit ensue for any identified damage.

Sometimes the service folks get annoyed by the inspection because they think you don't trust them. To alleviate some of their annoyance I also make it a point to take pictures of flaws or damage I am aware of because it sends the message to the service mananger that you are looking out for both parties interests. You would be surprised by doing this how my vehicle gets babied by most service places because they know I am watching them like a hawk and that I mean business.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Good point.

There seems to be alot of reported abuse of the SGT by dealers. One suggestion I would make regarding each time an SGT is going out to some shop for repair or maintenance is to carry a "Powershot" digital camera and do an inspection of the car with the service manager of the shop. Take pictures while you are doing the inspection of every side of the car inside and out, under the hood and rear deck lid and under each bumper. And lastly take a picture of the miles showing on the odometer. The pictures should be taken of the good or any known bad areas so that you have a record of how the car looked at the time control was turned over to the service area.

I do this everytime I have my SGT serviced by anyone. It sends a clear message out to the service center that you are expecting the car to be returned to you in the exact physical condition it was brought in. It also is an implied signal to the service dealer that they are certainly going to be held liable for any damage that appears beyond the images taken. And it establishes a clear record for the courts should a lawsuit ensue for any identified damage.

Sometimes the service folks get annoyed by the inspection because they think you don't trust them. To alleviate some of their annoyance I also make it a point to take pictures of flaws or damage I am aware of because it sends the message to the service mananger that you are looking out for both parties interests. You would be surprised by doing this how my vehicle gets babied by most service places because they know I am watching them like a hawk and that I mean business.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Just my $0.02 worth...

Good idea!

Once I fix the scratches I put on my front valance I may start doing that!

:-)

Sorry to hear this. Just my .-02. The stripe in the front leading edge of the hood is NOT acceptable. The paint on the scoop is lighter but not actually seeing the part it's hard to tell if I would worry about it. The front lower facia, I feel Jeff hit the nail on the head. Who knows what happened on the rear section :shrug:

I had a similar issue with work being done on site and had 32 additional miles on the car when I picked it up. And the car was run through puddles. When I asked the service manager he had no answer. I don't bring my car to that dealership for any work now.

On the other side of that. I did bring my car this weekend to a show being held at a Ford Dealership. The day prior I called and asked if they could change out the oil and filter while I was there. I would bring my oil and filter and I would pay to have it done. No problem. The person took my keys and had the attendant come over to the counter and told him. "This is a show car and a very good customer. It is important that you treat this car with care." The attendant went and retrieved a plastic bag, placed in over the seat and placed a mat on the floor. He then looked at me and said "don't worry, I will take very good care of her". He did and invited me to watch while he did the oil change and inspection. He was also in awe when he looked at the underside of the car and all of the mod's done. Great service and they didn't charge me for the labor because I had my car at the dealership for the show. So there are also examples of Great Customer Service out there also. It's just finding the right dealership personel.

Sorry to hear this. Just my .-02. The stripe in the front leading edge of the hood is NOT acceptable.

Can some people measure there lowest point in the hood and report back. Mine was "slightly" inward from SAI and I can see it looking at the pictures of my car the day I picked it up but I am on travel right now. I am sure it was less than 1" by the time it hit the bottom of the hood but maybe my eyes are going!

IMG_0590_2.jpg

IMG_0590_2.jpg

Just my $0.02 worth...

One more thing to add to this is ALWAYS check the car over BEFORE leaving! If you are in a hurry then wait to pick it up another day if you have to.

The biggest problem you will run into is proving they did it and you didn't after you left. So no matter what, take the extra 5 - 10 minutes and walk around the car and look it over carefully before you leave with it.

Now you have pics at the time of dropping it off, and if you see something before leaving, you have everything documented that proves it happened at the dealership!

Can some people measure there lowest point in the hood and report back. Mine was "slightly" inward from SAI and I can see it looking at the pictures of my car the day I picked it up but I am on travel right now. I am sure it was less than 1" by the time it hit the bottom of the hood but maybe my eyes are going!

Checked mine Jeff. Exactly 1" from back to front leading edge.

ngnear, while it is too bad that your dealer wronged your car a bit, the title of your thread is "dealer totaled my SGT," and they obviously did not. I was expecting pictures of a mangled car that had been crashed on a drive, not some nitpicky little scratch and stripes issue.

The valance really needs to be fixed, but the stripes and scoop actually look pretty good in the pics - especially compared to what I've seen first hand coming from SAI. Maybe the title of your thread should have been "dealer didn't take good enough care of my SGT while in their possession."

My advice to you is to take your SGT back to the dealership and give them an opportunity to make good on things. Be calm about it, but stern in your expectations of them.

One more thing to add to this is ALWAYS check the car over BEFORE leaving! If you are in a hurry then wait to pick it up another day if you have to.

The biggest problem you will run into is proving they did it and you didn't after you left. So no matter what, take the extra 5 - 10 minutes and walk around the car and look it over carefully before you leave with it.

Now you have pics at the time of dropping it off, and if you see something before leaving, you have everything documented that proves it happened at the dealership!

The problem with that is I don't trust dealers to wash my car (been there done that) so sometimes its hard to see flaws until you get home and wash it. Obviously big stuff will show up but some stuff under the car you can't see. When my tranny was done they used a air chisel to take apart by $1000 Bassani exaust and didn't catch it until I got under the car. Fortunately they paid for the new pieces they damage and wanted to put them on for me but I did it myself. I would say 80% of the time I have taken my car to dealers it comes back with more problems it went in with.

ngnear, while it is too bad that your dealer wronged your car a bit, the title of your thread is "dealer totaled my SGT," and they obviously did not. I was expecting pictures of a mangled car that had been crashed on a drive, not some nitpicky little scratch and stripes issue.

The valance really needs to be fixed, but the stripes and scoop actually look pretty good in the pics - especially compared to what I've seen first hand coming from SAI. Maybe the title of your thread should have been "dealer didn't take good enough care of my SGT while in their possession."

My advice to you is to take your SGT back to the dealership and give them an opportunity to make good on things. Be calm about it, but stern in your expectations of them.

I agree with Five Oh B & would also like to ask the moderators to fix the thread title so others don't think the same thing. We have good dealers on this board & it's kinda a slap in their face in general.

I agree with you. Sorry for the misleading title, I was still fuming after I found the damages when I wrote the title at 11:00 PM. I did not get to sleep until at least 1:00 AM this morning.

Good news is that I have a meeting with the owner of the dealership late this afternoon. He expressed some concerns as why there was an extra 60 miles on my car as well as the damages. I had also sent him these pictures and he wants to make sure it gets taken care of.

Moderators, can you change the title to: Dealership damages to car.

Funny, i never knew a dealer had to test drive the car 60 miles after doing some stripe work.

That right there is a huge problem. Next time you go to a dealer, you need to make sure you let the service manager AND the technician working on your car what you expect of their work. Driving the car 60 miles is not one of them !!

Good news is that I have a meeting with the owner of the dealership late this afternoon. He expressed some concerns as why there was an extra 60 miles on my car as well as the damages. I had also sent him these pictures and he wants to make sure it gets taken care of.

That's great news. I'm sure the dealer will make it right. Keep us posted.

I have no problem changing the title, but, the original author would need to give me permission and also what he would like it to say. Maybe something like--my dealer mesed up my car? Or something like that.

Bud

Never mind LOL

Guys, The stripe gap is something that is VERY hard to keep exact especially the way the hood sweeps backward on that leading edge from the center...the reason is that the inside part of the stripe actually has to stretch some to maintain the same gap as what is at the back edge of the hood...Problem here is that MOST installers aren't good enough to stretch the tape without making it look like stretch marks on human skin and it is just as ugly when that happens...so, for MOST, it is simpler to just let the natural narrowing gap take place and hope that the person doesn't notice or isn't concerned with it...

It CAN be done, but it is a lot more tedious and time consuming and the average stripe installer is not going to take that much time to make sure that it is done correctly...

One other way to accomplish a perfect gap is to piece the stripes together in this area just like they did where it comes down the top of the front bumper over the part that is on the front of the front bumper...check it out, there is a seam there where the top overlays the front piece...same thing on the back bumper...and I'll bet your gap is a lot better on these pieces than on the hood too!!!

One other way to accomplish a perfect gap is to piece the stripes together in this area just like they did where it comes down the top of the front bumper over the part that is on the front of the front bumper...check it out, there is a seam there where the top overlays the front piece...same thing on the back bumper...and I'll bet your gap is a lot better on these pieces than on the hood too!!!

So that's what that seam is all about. I thought it was just something peculiar to my car...

Did you meet with the owner of the dealership today? What did he say?

Yes I met with a Customer Service Manager and a few others today including the Body Shop Manager. Very productive meeting.

My salesman was there also and he stood up for me stating that there is no way I would have caused this damage. I am way too careful with this car. (It helps that my saleman is a big Mustang fanatic also)

It turns out that they had to take the car from the dealership to the trim shop (explains the 60 miles). Originally the trim shop person was scheduled to come to the dealership. Check out this website for some of his work. He does all the graphics for Woodhouse Racing (Vipers - Woodhouse Dodge sells more Vipers than any other dealership in the world).

www.woodhouseperformance.com

Bob Woodhouse owns both Ford and Dodge dealerships

After they admitted to taking the car to the trim shop without informing me, they agreed to take care of all damages to my satisfaction. No explaination as to how the damages occurred, doesn't really matter at this point. But the manager stated he would talk to his staff about the care of customers cars. This all seemed way to easy.

One of the other managers stated that this was the first 2008 delivered to Nebraska and sold by them. They wanted to take care of it.

Guess I was worked up for nothing. As I look back at this thread, I really did over react. This is the most expensive new car I have ever purchased. Just want to take great care of it.

Archived