TEAM SHELBY FORUM

when should I do my first oil change

I have 2100k about 1300 miles and some said wait and some said I am 500 miles overdue.

I was thinking og Mobil 1 ot even better euro oil,, any thoughts..Please let me know what you have done.

And can we trust regular ford dealers or does it have to go to a SVT dealer.

Thanks

Mikehart99

You can't go wrong with using what the manual says to use. That's what I do.

JLTMotorcraftoil003.jpg

I did mine at 1000 miles, and then at 2500 miles. I have heard many horror stories about dealers messing up oil changes on these cars.

My advice....Do it yourself if you can. It's easy, and if you have any questions about doing it, we can help you.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts063.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts070.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts071.jpg

An early oil change may seem like an added expense,But it does insure that you get any residual crud out of the mototr that may have been left behind at the factory and any break in or casting materials that may have come loose.As far as what oil and filter etc,Grabber has you covered on that.

I run my car at the track quite a bit....11 track days so far on top of every day driving. I did my first oil change at 750 miles and have been done it once more before Hallett a couple of weeks ago. I take my cars down to the local garage and they change the oil for me for free since I bring my own oil and filters (that I bought at Ford). It also helps that for my other cars, they get all of my tire work too and know me by name. I don't have a good way without paying to disposing of my used oil, so I let them do it, sit around for 20 minutes as they change my oil/filter and talk shop with them. All in all it's a good relationship.

I do my own oil changes and use the Motorcraft products. I did my first oil change just shy of 1000 miles. If you have a dealer change your oil - make sure you advise them of what type of oil they need to put into the engine - 5W50. They have been known to put 5W20 into the engine thinking the GT500 and the Mustang GTs take the same oil. IMO folks doing oil changes are not the brightest or most experienced techs in the service department.

If you decide to do it yourself - I suggest that you have a good oil filter wrench available. The OEM filter is cranked on very tight from the factory. I used one of those plier type wrenches. The case of the filter was crushed in a few places when I finally got it removed.

2 oil changes at the dealer. 1st @ 750 miles on the dude put the lift haphazardly all over the undercarriage metal on metal then left a mess on the new filter.

2nd one at the dealer after I told the manager what the first had done and that I wanted someone who would treat it right. Ended up with light scratches

around my driver side door handle and the guy cross threaded the cap on only a quarter turn. :angry2: Lord help me if I ever have the tranny problem I will probably do it myself.

I believe that in the manual there is not only an odometer requirement but a time one as well. I think that it is every six months. I do not put a lot of mileage on my car, so came up against the 6-months first. With full synthetic oil you don't have to worry about the time so much per se, but I think it's a good idea to have your records proper for warranty/resale purposes.

Used the quick-oil-change line at Serramonte Ford south of San Francisco and had no quality/care problems at all. Of course Serramonte has a long SVT dealership history.

Michael

An early oil change may seem like an added expense,But it does insure that you get any residual crud out of the mototr that may have been left behind at the factory and any break in or casting materials that may have come loose.As far as what oil and filter etc,Grabber has you covered on that.

I agree with the above. 500-1000 miles on a new engine and then normal after that. You should consider a change right now. It's not the end of the world though and may not even make a difference, but I like to err on the side of extremely safe so I would have done it long ago on your car. On my old 427 rebuild I did the change as soon as the camshaft was broken in. But that was because the car was going straight to the dragstrip where it has seen most of its use.

Archived