TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's the GT500 Really Worth? (without the NOW factor)

68fastback

OK, I understand that the high ADMs have generated a lot of discusson, but what I'm tryig to get at is your gut feeling.

If you strip out the gotta have it now factor which is clearly driving the whole AM game, what's this car worth?

That is, what't it's performance, 'Grand Tourismo' design-point, styling... THE CAR worth to you if there were no ADMs and no MSRP (and you can leave off the Shelby name too, if you like) -- what's its true value to you as a performance car. Maybe the context of how you will most like use it would help too.. what ever you feel is pertinent to it's actual value to you.

---------------------

To me it's +/- $38K. I would use it a my primary ride. I would take it to the drags, except to get a few timeslips once it's broken in. I would most definately like to get it to some SVToA track-dasy at Watkins Glenn or W.Virginia. I would eat up all the backroads I love to drive today, just for the sheer enjoyment of driving it. I would have to take it on a cross-country trip at some point and spend some time out West in the Canyonlands, Vegas, dessert S.W. two-lane's that stretch to the horizon, and I'd have to cruize the Adirondacks of NY for combo of great two-lanes and scenery. Ok, I'll shut up now.... <lol>

Guest evilchris

I'm going to go with a nice, obvious $39,999. The gas guzzle tax throws it off though. My "worth" figure excludes that.

To me it's +/- $38K. I would use it a my primary ride. I would take it to the drags, except to get a few timeslips once it's broken in. I would most definately like to get it to some SVToA track-dasy at Watkins Glenn or W.Virginia. I would eat up all the backroads I love to drive today, just for the sheer enjoyment of driving it. I would have to take it on a cross-country trip at some point and spend some time out West in the Canyonlands, Vegas, dessert S.W. two-lane's that stretch to the horizon, and I'd have to cruize the Adirondacks of NY for combo of great two-lanes and scenery. Ok, I'll shut up now.... <lol>

Good choice on Canyonlands. Island in the Sky disctrict is incredible.

I'm going to go with a nice, obvious $39,999. The gas guzzle tax throws it off though. My "worth" figure excludes that.

Good choice on Canyonlands. Island in the Sky disctrict is incredible.

For sure....

I had a '78 Ford F250 converted new by Pathfinder to 4x4, pop up roof, 460 modded to 450HP/560ft-lbs. Took it cross country several times (bought it new in '78 and sold it in 2004 to the dealer's son). It would go virtually anywhere (12.50-35 BFG A/T's) and 22" under the Xfer case ;)

Did elephant hill and canyonlands Island in the Sky White Rim trail/Lathrop canyon. What a fun truck! And after negotiating Canyonlands Elephant Hill, you pop the top, fold out the bed and have a good night sleep. And with all the 4WD mods and conversions/refer, etc, loaded with gear and two full tanks, it scaled at just under 6,000lbs -- not bad (started as 2WD at 4480lbs dry). The Park Service makes you sign a waiver and agreement for Elephant Hill that if you get stuck and can't get out within 24 hours, they have the right to heavy-lift you out at a fee approaching $10K <gulp> They didn;t want to let me try it -- too wide they said. When I told them exactly where I fold in the mirrors and how many times I'd been there, they said OK.

What a great area! (Thanks for jogging that brain cell <lol>)

<edit:> Ooops.. there I go... off-topic on my own thread... sorry ;)

That's a tough question. What is it worth? If it's purely a "gut" thing, then it's a very subjective assessment. I would at least consider what you are getting from a practical view. In other words, if you didn't want to pay for a Shelby (ignoring the ADM for now), what could you do on your own to match the performance? I think the MSRP is actually quite low. Consider that the MSRP is only about $15k higher than an otherwise similarly equiped GT. For the additional $15k you get 500hp and a superior suspension to that of a standard GT. You could certainly modify a GT to produce 500 HP and handle like the Shelby, but consider that the Shelby is designed and manufactured to handle that output day in and day out and still behave nicely on the street, with a warranty no less. Get 500 hp from a GT and you're riding the ragged edge of reliability and mechanical integrity. Consdering what you'd have to spend to get not only equivalent performance, but also equivalent reliability and street manners, then I think the $45k MSRP is a bargain - and that doesn't even take in to account the sinister good looks (body kit, lights + paint and install: $4000 ??). I think the real "value" of the package is really upwards of $50k - $55k.

In my opinion (I'm not a psychiatrist, but a play one here), I think putting the value below MSRP is indicative of one's subconciously avoiding a conflict of your rejection of the ADM and the ultimate admission that it is in fact worth more than MSRP.

I think a group hug is in order. :grouphug:

...you're getting very sleepy....now buy mine for $65k... ...just kidding

Guest evilchris

Handling is easy. A GT with the FRPP handling pack will outhandle the GT500 and still maintain OEM ride quality.

The big money is for the 5.4. The brakes, handling, all easy as hell and cheaper to best. The engine, no.

You know life is short and we aint gettin any younger. The gotta have it now factor is a factor that plays on most of us, some more than others. Thay are making money at MSRP. I am OK with that and would pay it in a heartbeat to get one. The Mustang GT's are really fun cars and head turners too. As many of you you baby boomers know, these cars make you feel younger and just plain good when you drive them. I have been working out of town alot, and yesterday washed my 07 GT/CS for the 1st time when I came home Friday night. Kind of bonded with the car and got to know it. Its the same deal with my Harley Davidson Road King Classic. I Paid 500 under MSRP but would of paid MSRP if I had to. These type of cars and toys define alot of us as unique individuals, and it's fun. When we die, can't take any thing with ya, so I figure lets enjoy these things here before we move on. Gettin of my soap now.

The question of what the car is worth is a difficult one to answer. I took a look around at what else is available up here in Canada and at what price.

While I really admire the Z06, base MSRP up here is a couple of bucks under $90K. That's a hell of a car but I'm not sure the image is right for me. I think I'd feel like Batman every time I got into the thing and I'm too old to be wearing a cape :) A regular C6 is almost 68K base.

An SRT8 Charger with an interior upgrade and sport package has an MSRP of just over $50K. While a nice car, I don't want four doors and an automatic. An M3 is around $75K. I'm sure there are some nice Japanese cars that are available but I've never really thought about them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Challenger and the Camaro but I'm a Mustang guy at heart. So, $52K for a Shelby GT500 doesn't sound too bad to me. Would I like it to cost less? Who wouldn't, but compared to the alternatives I listed I think it's a fair price. I was lucky enough to snag an MSRP deal but I put a deposit down back in May of 2005.

Would I pay an ADM? Hard to say and I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. We're only supposed to be getting 400 Shelbys per year in a country with a population of 30 million people so my feeling is that if you haven't already made a deal, it may be some time before the initial demand is satisfied and anyone can just walk in and get one at MSRP or less.

With any hot new car, there's an initial pent-up demand where people who really, really like the car will do or pay anything to get one. We saw ADMs on PT Cruisers and VW Beetles. Eventually, the demand slackens as those who want to buy the car get their chance and then sales start to slow. I'm sure the arrival of the Shelby GT, Challenger and the Camaro will help to bring the demand for the GT500 down.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. I'll go back to waiting...

Honstly, I think the MSRP is fair. Its a great car for that price. With the ADM's, I would not see it that way. I too will be driving it on weekends only to car events. I will add some power but thats what I have my road course car for. That being said, its worth what someone pays for it. Otherwise they wouldnt pay it! Consumer demand!

Holy crap you did the white rim? I want to do that SO BAD. But I know nothing of trucks and offroading. Could a newb like me rent a jeep in Moab and handle it?

I think so, Chris. The White Rim trail isn't so much hard as fairly long (if you go all the way around) -- in fact it's fairly easy -- really. You'll also want to take it easy and stop quite a bunch of times too, 'cause it's just so drop-dead gorgeous. The outftter on the main drag in Moab is reasonable, but the stock jeeps just don't have the power to handle the deep fine sand at the bottom of Lathrop Canyon (a short side trip down to the river fairly early on the White Rim loop). Even in lo-range/Lo you can't generate enough torque if you get bogged (and you'll need 2 gals/person/day of drinking water, so getting stuck gets dangerous quickly). But if you stay up on the White Rim, the Jeep will do fine. My Quadravan had the big BFG T/A radials and gobs of torque, so Lathrop was no prob. If you do go, don't bother going in the Park entrance (too far out of the way); ask the outfitter for directions in the back way (thru "Potash" -- an old potash mining area) -- shorter and saves time getting to the good stuff ;-)

Good 'trick' if you're starting to get stuck: use the brakes to add resistance to the slipping wheel and then overpower the brakes with the gas -- this forces torque across the diffs and greatly improves traction in situations where one wheel (open X-fer case) or one wheel on each axle (locked X-fer case) is in trouble -- like in deep sand and diagonal up-and-overs. It's the only way to do Elephant Hill unless you've got lockers front and rear and good clearance (or a truck set up for rock crawling). Another good idea if new to 4x4ing is stay in 2WD and only use 4WD when needed. The reason for this is unless you're experienced 'reading' the terrain, if you get stuck in 4WD you're s.o.o.l. stuck! If you get stuck in 2WD, you still have 4WD to get out because, by definition, you didn't get 'too' stuck, if you see what I mean. It's common newbie mistake to use 4WD all the time and not realize what's up untill it's too late to get un-stuck.

But the White Rim should be no problem -- really. Actually, the first third is as beautiful as any other part, so you can do that and leisurely retrace your steps in a day (including a side trip picnic to Lathrop canyon (if careful with the sand at the bottom). You can go all the way around the White Rim in a day, but the last 1/4 is more challenging and there's not time to turn back, so part-way around and retrace is probably best if you've never 4-wheeled it before.

Don't even consider trying Elephant Hill in a rental jeep unless it's a V8 and trac-loc and you have experience -- the typical rentals do not have enough power to use the power-brake trick and still have enough torque left over to get up and over the big rocks and there are a lot of 'precarious' maneuvers required. It's not the Rubicon, but the first 1/3 of Elephant Hill is a tough go even for experienced 4 wheelers in street 4x4s (the Rubicon is definately not for a rental jeep or first timers; though some sections are fairly tame others are unpassable in street 4x4s.

--------------

Sorry for the off-topic stuff -- I'm bad ;)

I think the real "value" of the package is really upwards of $50k - $55k.

In my opinion (I'm not a psychiatrist, but a play one here), I think putting the value below MSRP is indicative of one's subconciously avoiding a conflict of your rejection of the ADM and the ultimate admission that it is in fact worth more than MSRP.

I think a group hug is in order. :grouphug:

...you're getting very sleepy....now buy mine for $65k... ...just kidding

:hysterical: I hear ya.

Well, if I think of the GT500 relative to what else is out there (new), I think MSRP is a steal; but if I go by what I get (relative to my gut), I'm feeling under $40K. If it was a NA motor at 500HP and better WD, I'd agree MSRP would be a steal under any circumstances (for me), but blown with 57/43, MSRP is a value stretch (this is just me... I fully understand paying even sizeable ADMs, all things considered). For me the 'now' factor is very low since I'll have it for the rest of my life -- waiting a year or more hardly matters to me. And the Shelby name does zip for me value-wise (though CS is an idol of mine since childhood) since I'm not buying it for collecting/resale value. In fact, if a Boss comes along at $32-35K, with the right weight, power, balance, basics -- that's me! Yet, I think the GT500 is an awesome car and might even keep it dead-stock, except for maybe exhaust and CAI (and I'd de-opt all stripes!)

So, re your blue comment, Rat, I don't reject ADMs just because they're against my religion<lol>... they're against my religion because I haven't met a car yet whose value to me exceeds its MSRP, hence my ADM religion (but I didn't want to bring up ADMs) <lol> The vanilla Mustang GT comes closest of any car I know as far as gut-value goes, and although an amazing value at MSRP, I just want more than that. Again, I'm probably a bit unusual <but then, you guys know that by now ;)>

Personally, I think MSRP is not a bad price, with ADM no way. Looking at other cars with the same performance it is hard to beat for the price. I will not pay above MSRP for any car. If the price doesn't come down, I will buy something else. I have a 2 1/4 hour commute to an airport to get to work once a week and to me, driving a 2001 Mustang Cobra Convertible currently is the only way I can handle it. Where I live it's pretty much highway driving through small towns but it is always fun to be the first at a red light. I have to have the power to pass North Carolina morons driving slow in the fast lane. Aurgh! Don't get me started on that. Anyway, to me it is performance for the buck and at MSRP I think the GT-500 is hard to beat. Plus my Cobra is getting a little long in the tooth and I need another.

I have considered the GT500 a lot during the last 18 months, but keep getting caught up in the price. I'm a working guy with limited discretionary income. I paid $23K for my brand new 2003 Mach 1, so I've had to rationalize how much more I would be willing to pay for the GT500 based on the performance gains. To me, $30K is tops. Yeah, I know - keep dreaming. Even if Ford ever offered us employees the employee price on GT500's and rebates, the GT500 would still be priced higher than my comfort zone. I'll have to live vicariously through your guys' experiences with your GT500's and mod my Mach 1 a lot more.

To me, the GT500 should have had a small bump in price over the 03/04 Cobras. Maybe $37-$38K for coupes, $41K-$42K for verts. But, the new Mustang is all the rage and Ford set MSRP accordingly. Heck, 2007 V6 & GT Mustang MSRP just went up another $350 per Ford 9/1/06, so they continue to move MSRP up on their hot seller. I think they've just about priced a 300hp GT too high. Just a few years ago you could find new Mustang GT's (SN95 platform) for $19K-$22K all day long. Now you're looking at close to $30K for a "basic" Mustang GT and over $30K with most of the options or a GT/CS. But, what other 300hp car is out there for under $30K? Oh well, I need a pay raise!

Ultimately, if I could set base MSRP for Mustangs, it would be around $18K for the V6 coupe, $23K for the GT coupe, $25K for the GT/CS coupe, and $30K for the GT500 coupe. Add $4K for a rag top.

I think 38k msrp is what would be fair for this car, 40k TOPS. (and I'd have a hard time paying that for it)

My 2004 Cobra was 36,500 when I bought it. It had 400hp and all the usual Cobra amnenities. The difference between it and the new one aren't high enough to justify 40k and up in my opinion. Sure the new Shelby is totally different, but when you stop to consider that the body and most of it's composition is the standard materials used to build the base GT, the price begins to get a bit extreme to justify.

38k is my offer, any takers?

Based on the last few posts and my own feelings, I hope someone in Ford is reading <lol>

Five Oh, I'm with ya, man.. your post made me think more about relative value too.. max value for me:

- GT500: $35-38K (awesone car -- want one, might not buy one)

- Boss302: $32-34K (this would have my heart more than any other)

- Shelby GT: $27-29K (cool for someone wanting the chrome letters)

- vanilla GT: $25-28K (great value at the low-end -- an all-american icon)

---------------

What about cars like the Saleen S281/S3, Roush 427R/S3 relative to the above cars? I'm not a 'bling' person, so just based on performance value, I'm somewhere around (max value) of:

- Saleen S281: $32-36K (it's what a Boss302 should be and fairly light -- but too much unnecessary bling)

- Roush 427R: $30-33K (it's a ShelbyGT with a blower -- lose the strips and it's sort of nice)

- WCC-Shelby: no gut value (they'd have to pay me? <lol>)

- Shelby CS6 (built): $25-27K (V6 doesn't work for me; could never buy one)

- Foose Stallion: $30-32K ($32-36K if bottom-end is beefed - dunno; clean "E" front-end -- lose the shoulder stripes)

Again, these are just my personal value statements -- but feel free to use as a strawman ...or a piniata ;)

Great to hear how you all think about this stuff.

-Dan

Based on the last few posts and my own feelings, I hope someone in Ford is reading <lol>

Five Oh, I'm with ya, man.. your post made me think more about relative value too.. max value for me:

- GT500: $35-38K (awesone car -- want one, might not buy one)

- Boss302: $32-34K (this would have my heart more than any other)

- Shelby GT: $27-29K (cool for someone wanting the chrome letters)

- vanilla GT: $25-28K (great value at the low-end -- an all-american icon)

---------------

What about cars like the Saleen S281/S3, Roush 427R/S3 relative to the above cars? I'm not a 'bling' person, so just based on performance value, I'm somewhere around (max value) of:

- Saleen S281: $32-36K (it's what a Boss302 should be and fairly light -- but too much unnecessary bling)

- Roush 427R: $30-33K (it's a ShelbyGT with a blower -- lose the strips and it's sort of nice)

- WCC-Shelby: no gut value (they'd have to pay me? <lol>)

- Shelby CS6 (built): $25-27K (V6 doesn't work for me; could never buy one)

- Foose Stallion: $30-32K ($32-36K if bottom-end is beefed - dunno; clean "E" front-end -- lose the shoulder stripes)

Again, these are just my personal value statements -- but feel free to use as a strawman ...or a piniata ;)

Great to hear how you all think about this stuff.

-Dan

Every time I see the price on a Saleen or Roush I just start laughing.

I mean I know the saying 'A fool and his money are easily parted', but when you see the cost on those things it's more like 'A fool and his money are easily parted as long as the fool enjoys getting sodomized by a phone pole'.

:happy feet:

Its a good 36K to 38K car.

Do not fret guys by December of 07 The GT500 will be the most produced SVT model ever (20,000+) and will have rebates out the wazoo! They will be cutting the prices just like they did in 1970 to move them out the door. The exclusivity will be long gone. It will take another 40 years to make them collectable.

Heck look at the FORD GT. Our local ford dealer is trying to dump a 2005 he held onto too long for 10K under sticker.

Do not fret guys by December of 07 The GT500 will be the most produced SVT model ever (20,000+) and will have rebates out the wazoo! They will be cutting the prices just like they did in 1970 to move them out the door. The exclusivity will be long gone. It will take another 40 years to make them collectable.

Heck look at the FORD GT. Our local ford dealer is trying to dump a 2005 he held onto too long for 10K under sticker.

Whatever you're on, I want some! :party2:

Whatever you're on, I want some! :party2:

They might not 'slash the prices' and 'give them away' but if you don't think this car can be had for 38-40k when the hype dies down... I dunno what to tell you.

It will happen, it happened with the 2004's, I got mine for 32,500, with a sticker price of 36,500.

Never say never my friend. :fan:

Guest evilchris

They might not 'slash the prices' and 'give them away' but if you don't think this car can be had for 38-40k when the hype dies down... I dunno what to tell you.

It will happen, it happened with the 2004's, I got mine for 32,500, with a sticker price of 36,500.

Never say never my friend. :fan:

But remember your 04 is just an SVT COBRA. This is a CARROLL SHELBY GT500 COBRA MUSTANG!!

:hysterical:

You guys are great!

--------------

Though my 'value' nums aren't tied to what I think the car(s) will eventually sell for (pretty clear on the Saleen and Roush <lol>), the GT500 will probably not be too far off going into winter after the least year of production.

By then, a Boss302 may have seduced me. Damn, I might have to wait long enough to see if an alloy S/DOHC big-block finds it's way into the '09 redesign :woohoo:

Whatever, I'm buying the chrome letters now so I can be the only one with a SHELBY BOSS :hysterical2:

:hysterical:

You guys are great!

--------------

Though my 'value' nums aren't tied to what I think the car(s) will eventually sell for (pretty clear on the Saleen and Roush <lol>), the GT500 will probably not be too far off going into winter after the least year of production.

By then, a Boss302 may have seduced me. Damn, I might have to wait long enough to see if an alloy S/DOHC big-block finds it's way into the '09 redesign :woohoo:

Whatever, I'm buying the chrome letters now so I can be the only one with a SHELBY BOSS :hysterical2:

You can't have one. Bone Star already bought them all on E_bay :fan:

You can't have one. Bone Star already bought them all on E_bay :fan:

I wonder if it would be legit to sell the letters .... out of order: HEBLYS :hysterical2:

---

when I was a kid, my friend's dad got a new "EDSOTO"... seems the DESOTO folks couldn't speel too good. Of course he left it that way -- used to tell folks how rare the car was ...(sould have put a $5K ADM on it when he sold it) :hysterical:

It has the weirdest tanny: You rode out the clutch in 1st, then pushed buttons on the dash for 2nd and 3rd... strage, huh? ;)

Every time I see the price on a Saleen or Roush I just start laughing.

I mean I know the saying 'A fool and his money are easily parted', but when you see the cost on those things it's more like 'A fool and his money are easily parted as long as the fool enjoys getting sodomized by a phone pole'.

:happy feet:

Remember guys this is not just an SVT Cobra.............its a Shelby GT500 its been 30 some years since they made the last one, and mybe the last one they ever make.........this car will hold it's value and next year my surprise everyone on how many are made in total. Their are still hundreds of people still waiting in line for one..........just my option

Guest evilchris

Remember guys this is not just an SVT Cobra.............its a Shelby GT500 its been 30 some years since they made the last one, and mybe the last one they ever make.........this car will hold it's value and next year my surprise everyone on how many are made in total. Their are still hundreds of people still waiting in line for one..........just my option

So you think that a GT500 bought for $60k right now will be worth $60k in one year?

Archived