TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVT out of business?

Well the SVT website is dead and gone and all references of SVT that were on the Ford website are wiped clean now I would say this is the last car you will ever see with the letters SVT associated with it.

Don't get me depressed man.......say something else please, even if you lie to me.

Here is my understanding:

SVT no longer exists as a seperate organizational entity within Ford, but it is alive as an overlay initiative and brand. What it means is that SVT is a secondary matrixed responsibilty for the differnet product groups (Mustang, Fusion, Ford Racing, etc)....

Did I just confuse things worse with my corporate speak?

Yes you confused me.....secondary matrixed responsibility. So where is SVT on the corporate triangle?

We've heard that Shelby has signed a new 5 or 6 year contract w/ Ford, so this along w/ the rumored SVT death tells me that, for the next few years, Ford performance models will be "Shelbys". I'd rather that not be the case, as I'm afraid that it might dilute the Shelby image. I'd rather see SVT products on occasion, and Shelby products on even rarer occasion. It doesn't make sense, however, for SVT and Shelby designations to "compete" with each other, any more than it made sense for Ford Boss and Cobra Jet programs to compete with Shelby programs in the '60's and early 70's. I don't think it even made much sense to have GT500's be both SVT's and Shelbys.

We've heard that Shelby has signed a new 5 or 6 year contract w/ Ford, so this along w/ the rumored SVT death tells me that, for the next few years, Ford performance models will be "Shelbys". I'd rather that not be the case, as I'm afraid that it might dilute the Shelby image. I'd rather see SVT products on occasion, and Shelby products on even rarer occasion. It doesn't make sense, however, for SVT and Shelby designations to "compete" with each other, any more than it made sense for Ford Boss and Cobra Jet programs to compete with Shelby programs in the '60's and early 70's. I don't think it even made much sense to have GT500's be both SVT's and Shelbys.

Eloquently stated, sounds like they will use Shelby for Mustangs and Harley-Davidson for their trucks? Guess this means no SVT Focus et al. I always thought a SVT Focus was an oxymoron, but I know a lot of guys liked them and similar cars have seemed to work for Dodge and Chevy.

We've heard that Shelby has signed a new 5 or 6 year contract w/ Ford, so this along w/ the rumored SVT death tells me that, for the next few years, Ford performance models will be "Shelbys". I'd rather that not be the case, as I'm afraid that it might dilute the Shelby image.

+1

That sounds like Shelby would be a division of Ford which could hurt. Rather they stay separate entities with a business relationship. I too would like to see additional Shelby models, along with other SVT projects, but we'll see what happens. :shrug:

SVT no longer exists as a seperate organizational entity within Ford, but it is alive as an overlay initiative and brand. What it means is that SVT is a secondary matrixed responsibilty for the differnet product groups (Mustang, Fusion, Ford Racing, etc).... Did I just confuse things worse with my corporate speak?

Yes, you are sentenced to an excruciating visit to the Postmodernspeak Generator. confused009.gif

Michael

The problem is that when you are 2-3 design cycles behind everybody else (except Chromoco) and have no money, it is really hard to compete.

I really had hoped that the big three could capitalize on the one strength the foreign competition couldn't touch and that was the bigger power cars with classic names and looks. More cars like the 300C, etc... Unfortunately $4 gas came along and the entire automotive world changed overnight. Now it is a big status symbol to drive a Prius.

I really wish Ford good luck, but I really can't see how they can make it work now. They can't possibly compete with a quality hybrid or even a competent sedan. They will never achieve "percieved quality" and the dealer network is still weak. The one thing I saw for them all was V8 rear wheel drive sedans with throwback styling and nameplates, but like I said $4 a gallon killed that dream.

I used to covet SHO's, SVT Focus, and Lightnings. I loved my SVT Contour. But now only one car brings me into the Ford dealership and that is the Mustang.

Build me an SVT Fusion with a 6 speed manual and I might at least test drive it. The way it stands, that car offers nothing I desire. And the Taurus......imagine an attempt at an SVT on that thing. It couldn't even happen if they put the best design team on the planet on that assignment.... The flex??? What it that thing? It looks like a darn undertakers car.

Ford should be run by a car guy / gal. Somebody who actually takes his cars to car shows and knows what people want. Any chance that Ford has lies directly in getting somebody in charge that doesn't care about corporate BS and simply cares about cars. They should hire Bob Lutz....that guy actually gets it...

There is a great deal of similarity with the present time and the gas/energy crisis of the early/mid 70's. The domestic car companies, however, will need to adjust much faster this time than they did in the 70's. These adjustments are also going to have to be more radical, not only including hybrids, but also vehicles powered totally by electric, hydrogen, and possibly nuclear energy.

Our Shelby's are great fun, but these other vehicles are going to be the bread and butter of the car companies of the future. I hope the domestics get it figured out. I also hope they don't drop the muscle cars this time as they did in the 70's. I think there will be a market for these vehicles for a long time. Just my two cents

Well, you will see an svt esk fusion after the redesign hits. The ecoboost motor will be in place. The fusion is selling with an adm right now. When the redesigned Tauras comes out they will sell as well. Look at what happened with the new chevy sedan. The thing is advertising. Spend the money to get car and driver.... and the other rags to get behind you. They started a marketing strategy that was making headway and let it fizzle when they decided a more aggressive restructure was in order. Anyway I do believe you will see more after 2010. If the new MKS/Z is a sign of the times it will get better.

Roger

The Fusions in my neck of the woods are going for invoice less the $2K cash sitting on the hood (rebate). Are they really getting ADM's on Fusions where you are???

It is going to take alot more than advertising to fix Ford's problems. They need product that people care to purchase, and as of right now, it is slim pickings at the Ford dealership plain and simple. The MKS/Z are nice cars, but both are $5K more expensive than they should be. They can't compete with the foreign competition toe to toe. Maybe the product is good, but the dealers still suck in comparison. Once you buy a Lexus or Acura, it is hard to come back to the Ford dealer unless it is for something like a GT500. If dealers are offended by this, then do someting about and start giving a crap about your customers and don't treat every interaction with a customer like it better have $$$ attached to it.

It is going to take alot more than advertising to fix Ford's problems. They need product that people care to purchase, and as of right now, it is slim pickings at the Ford dealership plain and simple. The MKS/Z are nice cars, but both are $5K more expensive than they should be. They can't compete with the foreign competition toe to toe. Maybe the product is good, but the dealers still suck in comparison. Once you buy a Lexus or Acura, it is hard to come back to the Ford dealer unless it is for something like a GT500. If dealers are offended by this, then do someting about and start giving a crap about your customers and don't treat every interaction with a customer like it better have $$$ attached to it.

I agree and they need something fast to stop the hemorrhaging. The only thing I thick they can bring quickly is the Offshore Focus I mentioned earlier. Anything else is years away.

They just can't keep loosing the millions of bucks they are now.

This means no more quality and pride of 2 man hand built engines this is now officialy a thing of the past(after the 2009 models I hope at least). :(

Maybe the next one's will be signed by the robots.... :hysterical3: WALL E.....

Don't fret guys. Rumor is (from a good source) that Brian Wolfe is taking over Ford Racing. He is someone we raced with for years and one of the pioneers of the grassroots racing that brought SVT into being. Also there is a rumor of someone else going over there that I can't say yet. All I can say is hurray! Things are only going to get better.

Mike

Don't fret guys. Rumor is (from a good source) that Brian Wolfe is taking over Ford Racing. He is someone we raced with for years and one of the pioneers of the grassroots racing that brought SVT into being. Also there is a rumor of someone else going over there that I can't say yet. All I can say is hurray! Things are only going to get better.

Mike

wow 4 posts and has insider info!! :superhero:

found this - http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Colum...ubsubtypeId=218

SVT has been closing up since 2006

Ford Performance Group kinda sounds like Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) from Australia

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx

Maybe we are about to get a hot rod focus turned into a mustang III - not unlike the hot rod pinto dubbed the mustang II :banghead:

found this - http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Colum...ubsubtypeId=218

SVT has been closing up since 2006

Ford Performance Group kinda sounds like Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) from Australia

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx

Maybe we are about to get a hot rod focus turned into a mustang III - not unlike the hot rod pinto dubbed the mustang II :banghead:

I have mixed emotion...on one side am glad to have what could be the last GENUINE SVT product.....on the other hand am depressed if that is the case and its the end of SVT as a standout devision.

I hope those reports are wrong.

Well the SVT website is dead and gone and all references of SVT that were on the Ford website are wiped clean now I would say this is the last car you will ever see with the letters SVT associated with it.

From John Clors on the SVTOA site.

There ars SO many people with SO many questions about what really happened to the SVT program after 2004 (of which that website, www.SVT.Ford.com, was a major part) that the SVTOA will share the inside story of the changes that have taken place with our members in upoming issues of SVT Enthusiast magazine. The Spring issue that is going to press now commemorates our SVT 15th Anniversary Reunion event at Carlisle, and gives a few hints about 2004-2008 -- but look for more in-depth coverage in subsequent issues.

Sharp-eyed SVT-ers will also notice how much of that old site's content has wound up on FordPerformance.com -- it's no accident.

Look for many new improvements to the FordPerformance.com site in the weeks and months ahead -- and check out the Clubs page -- where our SVT 15th Anniversary event coverage is now posted and our SVTOA club is promoted in its very own section!

john

Archived