TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Boss Ford Mustang Retired before Hired

GT500-07

Just when Ford Mustang fans were getting a full head of steam in the race to nostalgic bliss, Ford steps in and makes an announcement that the Boss Ford Mustang is not one that we'll see into production. PickupTrucks.com recently reported that Ford is chopping the program for the Boss V8, only slotting it for the engine bays of the Super Duty truck lineup.

http://www.stangnet.com/2010-Ford-Mustang/...red-080623.html

Just when Ford Mustang fans were getting a full head of steam in the race to nostalgic bliss, Ford steps in and makes an announcement that the Boss Ford Mustang is not one that we'll see into production. PickupTrucks.com recently reported that Ford is chopping the program for the Boss V8, only slotting it for the engine bays of the Super Duty truck lineup.

http://www.stangnet.com/2010-Ford-Mustang/...red-080623.html

This forum does not need this same disinformatiuon posted in several different places. Please DO NOT open more threads on this subject with that statement or you will be reported. Once was enough (twice was unnecessary, three times is now clearly for some other agenda). Thank you.

Here's a link with more insight. Notice that *nothing* has been cancelled and it has absolutely *nothing* to do with the rumored '10MY BOSS ustang. It refers to the all-new 6.2L Boss engine for the trucks which will now only go into the Super-Duty P/ups in the near term -- i.e. the plan to also put it in the Explorer, Navigator, F150, etc has been shelved. The BOSS Mustang is a 5.0L revised modular having nothing to do with the 6.2 BOSS motor (a.k.a. Huricane or H/Boss.

If you don't understand, feel free to post a question.

<edit:> This post might help with why so many seem confused. Note the H/Boss motor (the all-new 6.2L big V8 now being limited to Super-Duty service) and the 5.0 modular (revised DOHC alloy anticipated next summer in a BOSS 302 Mustang have absolutely nothing in common, including having nothing to do with M.Fields' comments.

It's a shame StangNet is so misinformed. When Fields was quoted as saying: "it's hard to axe something that was never on the table to begin with." he is talking about the new 6.2L V8 in the Mustang and that there has never been aplan to do that. He is not talking about the 5.0 modular in a BOSS Mustang, or any other vehicle. All his comments are about the 6.2L truck motor. I don't know how to state it any clearer.

-Dan

How do we know what to believe?

Believe what Fields actually said, not what StangNet has accidentally confused. I just PM's the StangNet site owner to explain his error -- don't know if he'll correct it, but I asked him to. If you read Fields actual words to PuckupTrucks.com he's talking about the 6.2L truck motor only and, as an aside, is confirming that there is no plan (and never has been a plan) to put it in the mustang (his 'can't kill what never was' comment). He clearly can't comment on what *is* in-plan and not yet announced, hence nothing on what *will* ship in the '10MY stang, just what *won't.* No surprises there, imo.

Stangnet just jumped to a conclusion unsupported by Fields' comments -- easy to see how that can happen given how many ways Ford has used the term, but the new H/Boss engine is the subject of his comments, and the 'other' displacement referred to is the 5.8 liter version that was to replace the 4.6 as the base engine in several trucks and is shelved [for now], just as Fields said.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Believe what Fields actually said, not what StangNet has accidentally confused. I just PM's the StangNet site owner to explain his error -- don't know if he'll correct it, but I asked him to. If you read Fields actual words to PuckupTrucks.com he's talking about the 6.2L truck motor only and, as an aside, is confirming that there is no plan (and never has been a plan) to put it in the mustang (his 'can't kill what never was' comment). He clearly can't comment on what *is* in-plan and not yet announced, hence nothing on what *will* ship in the '10MY stang, just what *won't.* No surprises there, imo.

Stangnet just jumped to a conclusion unsupported by Fields' comments -- easy to see how that can happen given how many ways Ford has used the term, but the new H/Boss engine is the subject of his comments, and the 'other' displacement referred to is the 5.8 liter version that was to replace the 4.6 as the base engine in several trucks and is shelved [for now], just as Fields said.

Hope that helps.

Dan

And that is how all the rumors with misinformation gets around. Someone reads something taking it out of context by ASSUMING it meant something it never did.

Nice explanation in clearing up the confusion Dan!

And that is how all the rumors with misinformation gets around. Someone reads something taking it out of context by ASSUMING it meant something it never did.

Nice explanation in clearing up the confusion Dan!

Thanks, SD... I have to wonder also if Fields isn't just lessening expectations given the 'slack' provided by GM previously announcing that it shelbed it's all-new DOHC UV8 program (was to go in the hi-end/luxo GMs like CTS, except for the 'vette). At the time GM engine chief said the new engine was well-developed ['with a bow on top'] but being shelved though it could be put into production in the future.

SD, do you know if the 6.2 is GDI from the outset? I thought it was, then heard not initially. I would think with GDI the 6.2 would actually fair better in EPA-circuit than the current 5.4 3V truck. :shrug: I suspect Ford will just relax the roll-out (5.8) to spread development expense, but that would seem to only makes sense if at least one truck modular will be getting GDI (or GTDI/EcoBoost) on an accelerated schedule. Alternatively, I can see logic that says: with truck sales rapidly compressing and therefore hitting CAFE less overall, spread truck investment for 2012 (next hurdle) and spend more on accelerating the EuroFocus and Fiesta into the US Market. Any insight on the 6.2's tech or market timing?

So...if I have this straight...am I correct that the Hurricane / Boss 6.2L, which was to be used in trucks only, has now been shelved, however a Hurricane / Boss 5.0L is still scheduled to replace our current 4.6L?

:wacko:

So...if I have this straight...am I correct that the Hurricane / Boss 6.2L, which was to be used in trucks only, has now been shelved, however a Hurricane / Boss 5.0L is still scheduled to replace our current 4.6L?

68 fastback....whats the chance if any?..ford will build a few thousand speshul mustangs with the 6.2L..i just cannot see ford letting challenger/camaro run away with the pseudo big block market...i dunno..may be ford just does not care

The 6.2L Hurricane/Boss (all new engine) will still go into the Super-Duty F-series, but not [yet] in other trucks -- Fields' comments -- only further development on the 6.2 is 'shelved' ('shelved' is likely Corporate-speak for 'no longer in current operating plan').

The 5.0L is not a Hurricane/Boss engine (it's a revised low-deck modular ...think improved DOHC 4.6 alloy Cobra engine) and will likely ship in Mustang next summer (whatever Ford will 'brand' it: Cobra? Boss-302? ;-) ).

If it also has GDI, it could easily be considerably more HP than the M-GT 4.63V with substantially better cruise milage too (a nice hi-po 'cake-and-eat-it' scenario?).

There's also strong rumors of a 5.0 GTDI (TwinForce/EcoBoost/TwinTurbo, all the same) but rumor also is that it's still in development and won't ship in '10MY Mustang (not sure I believe that tho; maybe Camaro will influence if/when it does? ...dunno). A GTDI 5.0 could produce GT500-equivalent HP with significantly better economy and would be killer in a light curve carver (GT350? :spiteful:) I'd guess an alloy 5.0 GTDI in a modest-interior 'stang could be at least 250 lbs lighter than the GT500 too.

I haven't heard anything about a 5.0 for the trucks, though an iron version might make sense. Then again might be cheaper to stay with the 4.6 and 5.4 truck modulars until the 6.2 is/isn't ramped-up to be applied more widely. My personal bias is that if the 6.2L is GDI from the start, it will make it to other trucks sooner rather than later because the EPA CAFE hurdles get much tougher in 2012 and GDI will help that a bunch, imo. An alternative could be a GDI/GTDI iron 5.0 for the non-Super-Duty trucks (150, Navi, Explorer), with attendant milage gains over the present 4.6/5.4s, but have no clue if that's the direction or not. My gut tells me it's a real consideration because Ford would not develop the revised heads for the revised 5.0 just for Mustang without plans to use it more broadly ...like on an iron 5.0 in non-SuperDuty trucks?? ...just a thought.

Dan

68 fastback....whats the chance if any?..ford will build a few thousand speshul mustangs with the 6.2L..i just cannot see ford letting challenger/camaro run away with the pseudo big block market...i dunno..may be ford just does not care

Well, just thinking out loud, I think that's very *doable* but that doesn't mean it will be done (or ever), and I was hoping that's where a real BOSS-429 redux would come from in a couple years when/if GM unveils the S/C 6.2 and/or the Z06-428 in the Camaro -- I thought possibly when the Mustang is redone from the ground-up which was originally thought to be 2012 but, with the refresh now as a '10MY, I think it will be at least 2013 now since Ford will want to get more than just two years from the '10 refesh investment, imo.

That said, I don't think the 6.2 was ever in the Mustang 'plan' (just as Fields said) but I have to think that was always a possible option given reliable rumors that a DOHC version of the 6.2 was in 'early-development.' The H/Boss bore size is big enough that a DOHC isn't needed for decent breathing unless it's a serious hi-po engine, imo, and the 6.2 truck is reportedly a 2V SOHC. And since Fields' comments clearly say the 6.2 is not on the table for Mustang (and never was) ...we know that's a true statement at this point in time ...tho that can always change in the future ...just doesn't now seem very likely to in the next few years, imo.

But, you know what? A 5.0 strengthened alloy modular with GDI (gas direct injection), VVT/VCT and/or GTDI (tt/EcoBoost), can make all the power of a the S/C 5.4 (and then some if Ford wants to) and be considerably more efficient than a larger displacement 2V motor, so maybe Fords espoused new focus on weight reduction will be a fitting approach (especially since the Chally and Cammy are already larger and a bit porkier too. If the 5.0 revised modular is the expected beefed alloy block (using what was learned for the Aluminator program, which even Ford says easily holds 750HP), and has the expected revised DOHC heads (with GDI, etc, above), it will be a real screamer -- at least it has that potential, notwithstanding how conservatively Ford might choose to tune it. Done right, this revised 5.0 modular could be a real jewel of an engine, imo. All the right pieces are in the rumors. <lol> ...now all Ford has to do is stay on-point and serve it up next year in a BOSS 'stang for us :hyper: ;-)

---

<edit:> readers of this link may also be interested in this thread too. --Dan

• 2 months later...
The 6.2L Hurricane/Boss (all new engine) will still go into the Super-Duty F-series, but not [yet] in other trucks -- Fields' comments -- only further development on the 6.2 is 'shelved' ('shelved' is likely Corporate-speak for 'no longer in current operating plan').

The 5.0L is not a Hurricane/Boss engine (it's a revised low-deck modular ...think improved DOHC 4.6 alloy Cobra engine) and will likely ship in Mustang next summer (whatever Ford will 'brand' it: Cobra? Boss-302? ;-) ).

If it also has GDI, it could easily be considerably more HP than the M-GT 4.63V with substantially better cruise milage too (a nice hi-po 'cake-and-eat-it' scenario?).

There's also strong rumors of a 5.0 GTDI (TwinForce/EcoBoost/TwinTurbo, all the same) but rumor also is that it's still in development and won't ship in '10MY Mustang (not sure I believe that tho; maybe Camaro will influence if/when it does? ...dunno). A GTDI 5.0 could produce GT500-equivalent HP with significantly better economy and would be killer in a light curve carver (GT350? :spiteful:) I'd guess an alloy 5.0 GTDI in a modest-interior 'stang could be at least 250 lbs lighter than the GT500 too.

I haven't heard anything about a 5.0 for the trucks, though an iron version might make sense. Then again might be cheaper to stay with the 4.6 and 5.4 truck modulars until the 6.2 is/isn't ramped-up to be applied more widely. My personal bias is that if the 6.2L is GDI from the start, it will make it to other trucks sooner rather than later because the EPA CAFE hurdles get much tougher in 2012 and GDI will help that a bunch, imo. An alternative could be a GDI/GTDI iron 5.0 for the non-Super-Duty trucks (150, Navi, Explorer), with attendant milage gains over the present 4.6/5.4s, but have no clue if that's the direction or not. My gut tells me it's a real consideration because Ford would not develop the revised heads for the revised 5.0 just for Mustang without plans to use it more broadly ...like on an iron 5.0 in non-SuperDuty trucks?? ...just a thought.

Dan

Which would put it in direct sales with the GT500 and ford would say no dice.

There has been some talk of the new 6.2L being built for the mustang. It is just talk so far, but the 6.2L with supercharger!

I imagine that may be on the burner waiting until they see what Dodge or GM does here in the near future.

Well, they better do it because isn't the new Camaro SS a 6.1L?

Well, they better do it because isn't the new Camaro SS a 6.1L?

i suspect many plans at ford have changed.its too bad they could not buid a 5.8L for the mustang...but what they hell...housing melt down....investment banking melt down....higher interest rates and possibly higher taxes depending on who enters white house....ford is ball less but maybe its ok at this time to be just a 1-nutter...i really cant blame em for placing everything on the table for reevaluation

Archived