TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bug Spray before a drive

Vogon

I'm picking up my 40th Anniversary GT500 on Tuesday, and driving it 1,300 miles home. When I brought it down, I picked up a lot of passengers:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll273/r...le/DSCN0059.jpg

Does anyone use a spray on the front end before heading out, so the bugs will wash off easier? after SAI details the car, it's a shame to have this, but I can't not drive it...

I'm picking up my 40th Anniversary GT500 on Tuesday, and driving it 1,300 miles home. When I brought it down, I picked up a lot of passengers:

Does anyone use a spray on the front end before heading out, so the bugs will wash off easier? after SAI details the car, it's a shame to have this, but I can't not drive it...

I know people who use DAWN dishing liquid on there Motor Homes.

I've always found that bugs come off easier if you have a decent wax job on the car. Some quick detailer spray right after your drive and the bugs come right off. The key is getting the bugs cleaned off while they're still fresh. Don't let them sit on your bumper over night.

put a coat of good wax on the front end before you leave, then just wash the bugs off when you get home...

I would not put any kind of dish washing soap on, it will burn into the clear... :nonono:

Good luck, and have a safe trip. :shift:

I just keep a good coat of wax (Zaino) on her. Bugs wipe right off with a rag and warm water

I agree with the waxing before the trip. Since you already had the trip (yeech), I have also used the Windex method, followed by wash and wax. Worst case, I have used a little mineral spirits, again followed by wax, (I have not used this on the Shelby) but I only do that if everything else does not work.

Hope it works as from the looks of the mess I was going to suggest sand blasting :hysterical::hysterical3:

Yes, I was going to suggest laquer thinner and a grinding wheel but I thought some of the guys here might get concerned about the clear coat.... :idea:

I would use blue painters masking tape. It'll stick on good enough for the trip but it won't be a pain in the ass to remove.

I also heard pledge, you know, the furniture polish....heard that works also and won't damage the paint.

one1.jpg

The headlamps are covered in a masking tape that painters use.

Having been stationed in Brunswick, GA and learning all about the love bugs the thing we used was Pam. Put on a good wax and then spray the front with Pam. When you get to where ever just hose it all off. Nearly all the bugs come off and a wash job gets the rest. Hit the front with wax again and spray the Pam on just before you leave.

Having been stationed in Brunswick, GA and learning all about the love bugs the thing we used was Pam. Put on a good wax and then spray the front with Pam. When you get to where ever just hose it all off. Nearly all the bugs come off and a wash job gets the rest. Hit the front with wax again and spray the Pam on just before you leave.

I lived there for a couple of years, and then a couple south of baton rouge, and I thought that the locals did something like this. just couldn't remember for sure.... pam is just vegetable oil isn't it?? really should be no paint issues with it, certainly better than having the bugs and their juices bake on and into the paint

how long ago in brunswick?? was there in the late 70s and thought they had closed down the naval base already...turning it into a federal law enforcement training center....

I also heard pledge, you know, the furniture polish....heard that works also and won't damage the paint.

Pledge is an old bikers trick that works well on the plexi glass windshields.

Prep with Windex to remove residue then put about two coats of wax. They should come right off when you go to wash it.

I was told windex has metal particles in it. That is why it trashes plastic when applied. Not true?

I used 3 coats of Zainos before driving 1600 miles from FL to AZ. Visited a spray car wash each night I stopped, so the bugs didn't sit for the entire trip. Had no trouble getting the bugs off.

Have also heard of the PAM method as well.

Keith

I was told windex has metal particles in it. That is why it trashes plastic when applied. Not true?

Windex does not have metal particles in it.

Really, where do these wives tales come from anyway? :hysterical:

In fact a quick mist and wipe of my car with original blue Windex and a mircofiber towel after a fresh wash really makes it shine and removes all water spots easily! Cheap and easy.

I lived there for a couple of years, and then a couple south of baton rouge, and I thought that the locals did something like this. just couldn't remember for sure.... pam is just vegetable oil isn't it?? really should be no paint issues with it, certainly better than having the bugs and their juices bake on and into the paint

how long ago in brunswick?? was there in the late 70s and thought they had closed down the naval base already...turning it into a federal law enforcement training center....

I was there 72 & 73, they were in the process of closing the base and moved the school I was an instructor in to Pax River for a year then on to Millington.

Pam is a non-offensive to paint veggy spray. Really works well on the love bugs so it should on others.

It might be worth investing in a leather bra for the car. Will protect against bugs, stone chips, etc. And you'll have it for future long trips.

EDIT: Just found this link

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...amp;postcount=1

I have heard of the snaps and the cover flapping in the wind and rubbing and scratching the paint. Has anyone else heard this too?

I have heard of the snaps and the cover flapping in the wind and rubbing and scratching the paint. Has anyone else heard this too?

yes, it happened to a friend of mine's '05. the little plastic hook that fits unde the wheel well came loose and it's didn't cause damage but the loose leather rubbed on that corner of the quarter panel.

Archived