TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which Oil are you using...?

I know this question has been asked before but I couldn't seem to find the topic.

Which oil are you guys using in your SGTs?

5W-20 which is stamped on the oil fill cap or 5W-30 which is displayed on the Shelby decal on the underside of the hood?

2005 Mustang GT;

Same engine using Mobile One full synthetic 5w-30............

Interesting that the flow characteristic results show better #s with the 5w-30 over the 5w-20

on the Mobile one web site...........

I used Mobil one 5w30 in my Shelby GT.As per the Shelby sticker,I drove it pretty hard though.If you don't lean on it hard too often,I would use the Motorcraft 5w20,Cheap and reliable.

I'm using whatever Ford, and then the dealer, put in it! As for the Shelby sticker, I don't have one of those. After my warranty expires, I'll be switching over to a full synthetic (probably Mobil 1) and doing my own changes.

Ford Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend gets Great Reviews, I use it with a Ford Motorcraft Filter. I even use the 5w-20 in my Honda Accord Daily Driver, it exceeds all the Honda qualifications and the Honda calls for 5w-20 as well.

Only 1 oil change so far, I will probably only do 2 changes a year because it is a weekend car for me. I will do them every 6 months or 2500 miles, which ever comes first. Cost me under $20 to do myself, that is pretty cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

My Mustang GT owners manual specifies 5W20

My Shelby GT supplement manual specifies 5W20

My oil cap specifies 5W20 (although it's been replaced, I still have it)

My Helms manual (big red book for Ford techs) specifies 5W20

My dealership parts and service departments specifiy 5W20

Conclusion...The score is five to one, and I believe the Shelby sticker under the hood is another SAI oversight.

Remember that the lubrication system is tied to the cooling system, changing oil weights may lead to higher engine temps. When this occurs, the EEC will increase the air-fuel ratio using fuel to cool cylinder walls and the AF will be rich until it cools down.

I monitor my engine temps via the OBDII port, because this is the 411 the EEC is using to make decisions. In cruise mode, my engine temps are very consistent at 197 degrees. However, once I get stuck in traffic, engine temps climb over 200 degrees, and I can smell the rich AF mixture. Yes, it's that sensitive.

IMHO, any money you think you save in using a full synthetic oil, goes out the gas tank if you run hot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Happy motoring, gents.

Archived