TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No Mods for my Shelby

Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way on here, but all these modifications you guys are making to your Shelbys, just seems to take away from the way Carroll Shelby wanted these cars to look and perform like when he first came up with the idea to bring back the Shelby Mustangs. As for me, my Shelby will look the same as it was when it left Vegas. Anyone else feel this way?

I agree, but I admit I have slipped on a few of the "12" steps.

I have added a few performance mods, as well as appearance mods. I couldn't help myself, "the force" was overwhelming. There is just so much cool stuff to add, that I believe this was Mr. Shelby's plan all along. Limited production automobile, with endless mods. Otherwise, why the catalogue with all the accessories to be added after the sale?

All depends on how you look at it I suppose. I have mod'ed extensively. Kept the theme of CS through out the car. Most done through the Mod Shop in Vegas. Just like Carroll did in the 60's. Like on his "R" model in 65.

BeautyShots2006.jpg

I agree with you Roger, I think Carroll wants us to mod the hell out of our cars, I too look at mine as a "R" model. I think it would be cool if we could convince SAI into letting them be SGT-T and SGT/SC-T for Terlingua as our "R" models

I agree with you Roger, I think Carroll wants us to mod the hell out of our cars, I too look at mine as a "R" model. I think it would be cool if we could convince SAI into letting them be SGT-T and SGT/SC-T for Terlingua as our "R" models

He's a racer at heart. If the government was not invloved who knows what would be coming out of Vegas...............oh the thought. :happy feet:

Ilmor once thought this way. I think we have slowly brought him to the dark side.

Regardless, each car is theirs owners own and their personalities come through that way. I am all for guys who want to keep their cars stock. The Shelby GT is an awesome car in its stock form. Maybe a little help in the brake area. However, they can also be awesome when they are modified even as wild as Roger and Adams. Some build modify their cars for flash, some modify them for the track. I personally have tried to find a happy medium between a hot looking street machine and a solid track car.

Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way on here, but all these modifications you guys are making to your Shelbys, just seems to take away from the way Carroll Shelby wanted these cars to look and perform like when he first came up with the idea to bring back the Shelby Mustangs. As for me, my Shelby will look the same as it was when it left Vegas. Anyone else feel this way?

I agree also the only thing I did was correct the rear suspension the rear body was off corrected with the panhard bar and up graded lowercontrol arms and brakes since I drive really fast on the highway.

post-18733-1214446626.jpg

The reason i don't mod my cars performance wise anymore, is because once i start i can't stop, until i have done almost everything possible. It's not because i don't want to deviate from factory. I always tint my windows on my vehicles, sometimes do wheels and interior dress up, but thats about it anymore. My car will see nothing but street use, and it is capable of a lot more performance in stock form than the law will allow. Guess i'm get'n old.

My 30 year old son is a different story though. He has 2 Foxbodys. One is turbo ed putting a little over 600 hp to the rear wheels. He's just like i use to be. Yep thats my boy ;) scares the hell out of his mother every time he fires it up....

I thought I would not Mod when I bought my Shelby, but it is now an addiction. I love working on it and it will be the only one like it in my area or any-where. Actually I have never seen a white one in my area so I guess it already is the only one like it here, I have seen 3 black ones, Adam's, Roger's, and another. Hang out with Adam and Roger and you will get the mod bug too.

I thought I would not Mod when I bought my Shelby, but it is now an addiction . I love working on it and it will be the only one like it in my area or any-where. Actually I have never seen a white one in my area so I guess it already is the only one like it here, I have seen 3 black ones, Adam's, Roger's, and another. Hang out with Adam and Roger and you will get the mod bug too.

Yep, thats why i don't even start doing it anymore. Maybe we need to start a "Shelby's anonymous"

I heard CS give a couple of speeches down in Tulsa, and I could swear that I recall him bringing up the positive benefits of the mustang in regards to how many mods are possible and how receptive the mustang is to modification. Has anyone ever heard him address how important it is to keep a car "perfectly" like it came from the factory, or is that coming from the guys with the high priced cars going thru the concours judging?

I'm glad Carrll didn't feel that way or we'd all be driving secretary cars..........

I got to believe there will be plenty of SGTs left original for the museums. We should ask CS himself but I would think he would be sadder if everyone just kept them original. How boring is that. He is a mod king himself. He has mod shops and sells mods specific for the SGT. I got to believe his first priority is for buyers to enjoy the cars he builds.

Each of us that choose to mod our SGT will have to define what is a "appropriate" mod. I for one want to keep it limited to SAI/SPP mods only that can be reversed it wanted.

All that being said...I would never want to put anything with the names Roush, Saleen or another mustang builder. Nothing wrong with those cars but I think it would confuse people that have a hard enough time keeping the cars straight.

Mine is a Shelby! A few mods but proud of it and it's maker. happy%20feet.gif

I also tend to be one that does not want to "mod" my SGT, but I am interpreting "mod" a little differently.

For example, I have ordered the berg faux gas cap snake emblem, which i intend to add to my SGT...but, I don't see this as a "mod". I see it as a "Revision"; its sort of like the different variations of Microsoft Windows, were you have the same product but factory authorized improvements are made.

My intent is that I will revise my SGT from time to time (basically, when I can afford it), but I want to use only parts sold by Shelby so that my SGT remains "original" while being "revised".

Does this seem like a good way to justify it??? :hysterical:

The only things I really want to do are the new cap snake emblem, lower control arms, adj. panhard bar, slotted brake rotors, upgraded pads, lower billet grille, and brake duct / fog lamps. I would also like a S snake emblem for the steering wheel if that comes out.

I agree with those that point to an almost OCD with some when it comes to mods. I see it a car shows every week as more and more "stuff" gets added.

But I am surprised to see no one mention the possibility of a SS like program for the SGT from SAI. I know we're talked about it and Amy has hinted about it and for me it's meant I am waiting before I invest a significant amount of money and make changes only to have them ripped out or complicate things. I believe, and I'm sure someone here knows, people that sent their cars for a SS conversion had to send them stock.

Anyway, I'm going to hold off, save my pennies, and look to a SGT package from SAI in a year or so.

Am I being too optimistic?

Why would Carroll Shelby not want us to mod our cars. He is a business man with a growing parts business and catalog. I'm pretty sure that he hired Amy to grow the business and sell more parts. I would suggest that his main reasoning for even making the Shelby GT was so that folks would buy them and then spend lots of money modding them with Shelby sources parts. That's got to be part of their business plan, if not then they wouldn't be around.That's also the reason that our cars are somewhat incomplete. I mean, they could have already come from Vega with big brakes and a lower grille and lot's of other parts that we are all spending our hard earned money adding. No knock on the car I have one and have loved it since the day I drove it but there is always room for improvement.

If you or anyone chooses not to mod then I appreciate your choice, but I believe that those of us who do are doing exactly what Shelby wants us to do, IMHO. I say mod on.

I agree with those that point to an almost OCD with some when it comes to mods. I see it a car shows every week as more and more "stuff" gets added.

But I am surprised to see no one mention the possibility of a SS like program for the SGT from SAI. I know we're talked about it and Amy has hinted about it and for me it's meant I am waiting before I invest a significant amount of money and make changes only to have them ripped out or complicate things. I believe, and I'm sure someone here knows, people that sent their cars for a SS conversion had to send them stock.

Anyway, I'm going to hold off, save my pennies, and look to a SGT package from SAI in a year or so.

Am I being too optimistic?

Concur- we need a special SAI package similar to the Super Snake. I want mods, but I want the mods registered!

There are certainly those who subscribe to this belief, my father being one of them. He thinks that ANY change to the vehicle will hurt it's value. I personally disagree but to each his or her own. If modding it and supercharging it is what you want to do than by all means go for it. If you want to keep it bone stock and that is what you want to do then go for it. Then there is the in-between option to do only fully reversible mods and save all the stock parts in case you change your mind....

Do whatever makes you happy.

A Super Snake package for the SGT? What should we call it? I know! the "Baby Super Snake" :D That's for you SAI-Bud.

But seriously, what to call it? From Shelby history we find the "Shelby Group 2"

http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/transam/group2.shtml

Or there was the G.T. 350S "S" for supercharged. Never understood why SAI called supercharged SGTs "Shelby GT/SC rather than "GT-S" Would have made more historical sense, like GT-H = GT 350H

So if the package had a supercharger, the cars could be called Shelby GT-S,

Or maybe "Shelby GT-R" like the GT 350R had more performance than a standard GT 350.

Or maybe come up with something new that ties into the past. Sticking with a snake them, there are plenty of unused terms.

Diamondback. Ties into the reuse of the 1969-1970 Shelby Mustang emblem that the "BergShelby" gas cap design is based on (see attachment)

"Python",

"King Snake" (combo of King of the Road and Super Snake)

"Shelby Snake" (term often used to describe the Snake used in the Berg Shelby gas cap)

post-14287-1214499089.jpg

post-14287-1214499089.jpg

Yeah, I kinda figured I would see alot of opposition when I started this post. I have nothing against you guys modifying your Shelby's at all. Why not mod the car to more your liking. Not sure if Carroll Shelby, back in the 60's, wanted THOSE Shelby's modified, but I guess now, in this day and age, that's where the BIG money is in. "Merchandising". And I guess I am a bit of a hypocrate myself, because I did make two mods to my Shelby. I installed sequential tail lights and I have a Brenspeed Tune, which I must say is awesome. So what the hell, go mod crazy guys. Who knows, maybe I'll join you!!!

Concur- we need a special SAI package similar to the Super Snake. I want mods, but I want the mods registered!

I agree that a package for the SGT would be great from Shelby. The biggest problem with that is the same as all Shelby authorized mods. There are only 3 mod shops. So if you don't live near Vegas, RI or Texas your screwed. I live in Florida and there is a Shelby authorized shop, Tampa Bay Shelby, but they aren't a "Mod Shop" so the work I have done there isn't registerable, according to Bud's email last week. Plus there is the time issue. Nothing like having to wait for months and months to get something through their mod shops. Just think what the wait would be like if us SGT guys really started pushing cars through their shops. No knock on them it's just that the popularity of our cars and the GT500 has them taxed but I'm sure smiling all the way to the bank.

On a side note, I had a guy in a taxi cab today driving like crazy to get next to me at the light. He couldn't stop gushing about the SGT. Made me feel good but that's pretty much the normal reaction. Not only is it a Mustang, which most people love anyway, but it's a Shelby, which is a name all car people know and love. The best of both worlds. So enjoy what ever you do or don't do to your Shelby it's all good.

I think we have to face one thing with the Shelby GT. There are only five color combinations. Most outside of SoCal may never see the Grabber Orange. Most outside of AZ will not see the BJ edition. Although the Shelby GT is an awesome car in its stock form. If there were not people who modified their cars, even us enthusiast would tire of seeing the same white, black and blue cars.

I really like the idea of a special package. That is actually where the "/SC" stripe came from. We have been pushing for an upgrade package since April 07. I would like to see something that is flexible. Something that addresses the brakes and rear suspension with 18" wheels (20" option) on one level and a supercharger on the second level. I would like to see SAI be able to include us that already have done stuff through the mod shops.

I agree that a package for the SGT would be great from Shelby. The biggest problem with that is the same as all Shelby authorized mods. There are only 3 mod shops. So if you don't live near Vegas, RI or Texas your screwed. I live in Florida and there is a Shelby authorized shop, Tampa Bay Shelby, but they aren't a "Mod Shop" so the work I have done there isn't registerable, according to Bud's email last week.

I live outside Orlando now but used to live in Dunedin. Worked at A.C. Nielsen on Patricia Ave. I have a white 07 GT. I'm planning to take mine to Tasca in Texas for the reasons you outlined. Steve at Tampa Bay Shelby is a great guy and very knowlegeable but the mods would not go in the registry. I'm either going to ship the car there or put it on a trailer and tow it. It's not that far away. I drove to Dallas last November. I left here at 2:00 A.M. and arrived in Irving at about 7:30 P.M. It's a nice ride. Plenty of cool stuff to do there while you wait. Vegas would be even better but it might as well be Pluto with the distances involved. I'm really surprised there are no Florida Mod shops. I drive the turnpike to and from Miami twice per week and I see Shelbys on every trip without fail. Usually multiple sightings every time.

I live outside Orlando now but used to live in Dunedin. Worked at A.C. Nielsen on Patricia Ave. I have a white 07 GT. I'm planning to take mine to Tasca in Texas for the reasons you outlined. Steve at Tampa Bay Shelby is a great guy and very knowlegeable but the mods would not go in the registry. I'm either going to ship the car there or put it on a trailer and tow it. It's not that far away. I drove to Dallas last November. I left here at 2:00 A.M. and arrived in Irving at about 7:30 P.M. It's a nice ride. Plenty of cool stuff to do there while you wait. Vegas would be even better but it might as well be Pluto with the distances involved. I'm really surprised there are no Florida Mod shops. I drive the turnpike to and from Miami twice per week and I see Shelbys on every trip without fail. Usually multiple sightings every time.

How you doing. Yea, poor Nielsen isn't even there anymore and they are busily laying off folks left and right at thier Oldsmar facility. I think you mean Quantum in Texas cus Tasca is in Rhode Island and that's not a little drive. You should wait a bit before you do anything, from what I have heard and read there is a Miami shop that is in works with Shelby to become a real Mod Shop. I'm not sure which shop but it was talked about on this forum. I still think that I will go with Steve and Tampa Bay Shelby. I like him, his shop and the convinience. I feel good about the work they do and the care they take of the cars. I have faith that because I am using Shelby sourced parts he can work out the issue. He has me and about 5 others that are in the same boat so I'm hoping he can work it out. If not then I'll live with it not being in the registry for now. Of course, if Shelby takes any longer delivering my Whipple, it's been 5 weeks since I ordered and paid for it, I might be able to take it to the Miami shop to have it done.

I think it was said that the Shelby GT is basically an overall balanced car which becomes a canvas for our own personal expression! Which should mean we mod it or not as we see fit.

There are a lot of people who feel that way. I always feel a little guilty, and I always keep my stock parts (and always have).

Somewhere along the line, though, the little devil on my other shoulder wins, and I end up with a wrench in my hand every time I own a Mustang.

IMHO, we're both right. That's the great thing about Mustangs.

I will point out, of course, that Mr. Shelby has made a lot of these additional modifications available to us. Hmmmm....

How you doing. Yea, poor Nielsen isn't even there anymore and they are busily laying off folks left and right at thier Oldsmar facility. I think you mean Quantum in Texas cus Tasca is in Rhode Island and that's not a little drive. You should wait a bit before you do anything, from what I have heard and read there is a Miami shop that is in works with Shelby to become a real Mod Shop. I'm not sure which shop but it was talked about on this forum. I still think that I will go with Steve and Tampa Bay Shelby. I like him, his shop and the convinience. I feel good about the work they do and the care they take of the cars. I have faith that because I am using Shelby sourced parts he can work out the issue. He has me and about 5 others that are in the same boat so I'm hoping he can work it out. If not then I'll live with it not being in the registry for now. Of course, if Shelby takes any longer delivering my Whipple, it's been 5 weeks since I ordered and paid for it, I might be able to take it to the Miami shop to have it done.

Steve can do the install and told me that he has actually improved on the installation procedure to save some weight. For me the issue is that I want the GT/SC stripe kit and Shelby will alter their records to reflect that the car is a factory GT/SC. And yes, I meant Quantum and not Tasca. I still think I would go to Texas even if they did get a mod shop in Miami.

Archived