TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Input for new hood

Just wanted some inputs for this hood....only thing I am kind of skeptical is will it have enough clearance for the hood pins,wonder if one can keep the strut bar if a SC is added? I have used Steeda parts before and I must say they have great quality parts.....so I wonder if one will be able to get matching stripes from SAI if one is to go with one of theses hoods....

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_street_cowl_hood.php

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_ultr...uction_hood.php

cowl_hood_lg.jpg

Steedacowl.jpg

I can't offer much of an opinion without seeing the underside of this hood.

Evacuation of hot engine bay air is a good thing, but what about ducting fresh outside air to the air box? This is not a true cowl induction hood if it doesn't accomplish that.

Will it clear the FRP/SGT strut tower brace?

What about water abatement? Just washing the car could dump a lot of water into the engine bay, and now you have an additional detail task added by just washing your SGT.

I don't mean to sound negative, surely it is an attractive hood. I just don't know about some possible issues and I would like to have more 411.

Evacuation of hot engine bay air is a good thing, but what about ducting fresh outside air to the air box? This is not a true cowl induction hood if it doesn't accomplish that.

What about water abatement? Just washing the car could dump a lot of water into the engine bay, and now you have an additional detail task added by just washing your SGT.

I don't mean to sound negative, surely it is an attractive hood. I just don't know about some possible issues and I would like to have more 411.

Great input,never thought of the whole thing possibly getting water into the engine bay....I'll call them sometime this week...

Here is their response(Steeda).....The strut tower brace you have will not work with any super charger, you can get the stripes from Bob White in Boca Raton Fl. as far as water, your engine gets water splashed up from underneath and through the grille when it is raining, at high speed the cowl hood will pull a little water in from the top but not enough to be an issue, we run this hood on all our Steeda cars

Just wanted some inputs for this hood....only thing I am kind of skeptical is will it have enough clearance for the hood pins,wonder if one can keep the strut bar if a SC is added? I have used Steeda parts before and I must say they have great quality parts.....so I wonder if one will be able to get matching stripes from SAI if one is to go with one of theses hoods....

cowl_hood_lg.jpg

Steedacowl.jpg

Chris,

Cowl hoods were originally designed to allow cooler high pressure air from the bottom of the windshield to be pulled into the air cleaner which was on top of the carb that sat in the middle of the mainfold...Unfortunately, our air intake is at the front of the car behind the left front headlight, so the cowl hood is NOT going to get you any air into your Ford Racing intake...The cowl hood was originally used on the Camaro and on the Chevelle...remember the Chevelle SS454 and SS396 that had the little flap on the top of the hood at the back? That let even more air in to the air cleaner that was tucked up under there and also had rubber around the top of it to seal it and allow that air to kind of get force in there. It just isn't designed for the intakes on the Mustang...Steeda uses it because it "looks cool" on their cars...as far as function? It ain't doing ANYTHING!!! Cervini's has probably more hoods that will actually channel air over to where the air cleaner is on our cars, but then you may have rubbing issues if you have installed any aftermarket supercharger, be it procharger, paxton, wipple, kenne bell or others...Cervini's builds some channels on the underside of the hood to force the air from their intake ports over to where our air filters are...I haven't seen many others if any that actually do that...perhaps check with them if that's what your looking for...

Hope this helps in your decision.

It would look good on a Camaro.

Well at least I wasn't the first.

I have to agree as my first reaction was a GM hood on a Ford? Of course its your car and if thats the look you're after then go for it.

I'm not sure how you'll get the Shelby stripes to look correct on it but then again I haven't seen it with the Shelby stripes.

Steve

I like the look of the hood and painted as they have it in the pictures. However, I don't think our dual stripes will look good on it. If you keep our stripe set up, it looks to me like the stripes will cross over the raised portion of the hood. Not only will you have straight edges crossing at odd angles but you a graphic shop will have to come up with a special cut and work very hard to keep all four edges parallel and equal distance apart. Worse they might have to do set up with a seam.

Camaro was the first thing I thought when I first saw that hood too, but that first impression really wasn't fair. the hood grows on you. I've seen many late model Mustangs with that hood and Shelby stripes, and they looked awesome! If you like it, don't let others dissuade you. Search for pics on The Mustang Source, under Exterior mods. You should find plenty of inspiration. A '67 or '68 Shelby inspired hood would look nice as well.

Well gues I'll just wait to get another hood...I was just trying to not copy you other folks with the cs6/cs8 hood but I guess I wil go that route!!! Thank you all for your input.....

Chris,

Go with whatever hood it is that YOU want...everyone else can deal with it...and you won't be copying anyone if you decide to go with a CS6/CS8 hood either, because I think that hood is what really should have come on the production SGT since it is what was on the GT-H as well and that is what everyone liked in the first place! Whose idea that hood scoop was I don't know, but they should be flogged!!! JK!!!

Well gues I'll just wait to get another hood...I was just trying to not copy you other folks with the cs6/cs8 hood but I guess I wil go that route!!! Thank you all for your input.....

Didn't mean to change your mind, just first thing I thought....I also like oil dripping, impossible to ride far, no braked, britsh bikes that need special tools...so what do I know? Get what you like I agree 100%. I have found that in our world of many choices is hard to make up my mind on most things... :hysterical:

cowl_hood_lg.jpg

Steedacowl.jpg

Dude...I hate to say this but I think there is a huge difference between what is meant by direct "induction" as opposed to the mere redirection of air back into the engine bay. A cowl "induction" merely is capturing the air under-curling back off the windshield toward the cowl opening of the hood (referred to as "cowl-induction"). The air reenters the engine bay in a rather scattered "shotgun" like pattern. The cowl induction is merely a rear-hood located air-dam. The air isn't really being directed anywhere but back through the rear opening. If anything it would seem to me that air entering in through the rear of the hood would directly oppose any incoming air coming in through the front air-dam. Seems this would cause a lot of air-wash all around within the engine bay.

In contrast a hood being sold as a functional directed "induction" hood means that the hood has ducts and paths by design that are made to direct the air straight into the air-intake....in essence a near ram-air like affect.

So which are you expecting this hood to achieve...cowl induction or direct induction? If you are expecting direct induction it ain't going to happen with a cowl induction hood.

P.S. I just saw motorjock205's response after I posted mine and I believe we are both saying the exact same thing. Bottom line is that cowl induction is a waste of money given the "off-to-the-side" location of the air intake in today's Mustang's.

Archived