TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009-10 Cobra Jet

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/

6-14-08

Ford Motor Company unveiled its plans today (via Autoblog) to create an extremely limited edition factory Cobra Jet Mustang. The 2009 Mustang Cobra Jet will be powered by a 5.4L V8 based off the GT500's engine. Even though the engine will be running an upgraded supercharger unit it will be detuned to only 400 horsepower to meet NHRA rules. According to Ford Racing the engine is internally known as the Romeo 605, with the 605 being an indication of its true potential. Ford will only be building 50 of them this summer with an MSRP of $69,995. However you should expect those numbers to be a small fraction of what dealers will actually charge.

6-14-08

Ford Motor Company unveiled its plans today (via Autoblog) to create an extremely limited edition factory Cobra Jet Mustang. The 2009 Mustang Cobra Jet will be powered by a 5.4L V8 based off the GT500's engine. Even though the engine will be running an upgraded supercharger unit it will be detuned to only 400 horsepower to meet NHRA rules. According to Ford Racing the engine is internally known as the Romeo 605, with the 605 being an indication of its true potential. Ford will only be building 50 of them this summer with an MSRP of $69,995. However you should expect those numbers to be a small fraction of what dealers will actually charge.

Discussed elsewhere. They are not street legal cars - they will have a "serial number" instead of a VIN. They are intended as racing stock vehicles.

The new "edited" version of the article:

Ford has a long history of creating factory-built racers based on its regular production cars. Over the past four decades, most of those have have been derived from the Mustang. Since the mid-90s, that has included several runs of Cobra Rs, and today, a couple of variants of the FR500. Later this summer, Ford will revive another Mustang variant from the first generation when the Cobra Jet is reborn. The original Cobra Jet was built as a drag racing special with a high-torque long-stroke 428 cu. in. V8. Forty years later, Ford will be building a new Cobra Jet this summer.

The new Cobra Jet will be powered by a supercharged 5.4L 32-valve V8 based on the GT500 engine. The Cobra Jet engine will be built on the same niche engine line as the GT500 and will have plenty of capacity for modifications by racers. (note: post edited at the request of the manufacturer) Ford is only planning to build 50 new Cobra Jets at the behest of a handful of dealers, who may end up buying all the cars and then re-selling them. The new drag racing specials are expected to be priced at $69,900.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/15/ford-to...er-this-summer/

I just ordered one if anyone is interested!

michael morris

How much? :hysterical:

More info:

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php/2008/...dubbed-fr500cj/

Key item:

Program Intent:

* Provide a Mustang that is a true A Stock competitor

* 50 units initial build

* Off-road only (VIN replaced by serial number)

* Estimated pricing, $64,990 WD, $69,990 MSRP

* Model Year 2008 designation

* Build in December 2008, vehicles delivered February 2009

Other Ford Racing vehicles (FR series, CJ not listed yet)

http://www.fordracing.com/vehicles/frs/

I'd never pay that much for a Mustang

Can't we just by them from Ford directly and skip the middle man

They better paint the rear end housing for that kind of money

Why can't they make it street legal. For that kind of money you should be able to license it for the street

Gee, with only 50, the ADM will be through the roof. I think Ford should make several thousand so I can have one.

I think they should make one in Grabber Orange.

How come only "certain" car dealers are getting one. That's not fair.

The world sucks. :hysterical3:

Why can't they make it street legal. For that kind of money you should be able to license it for the street

Gee, with only 50, the ADM will be through the roof. I think Ford should make several thousand so I can have one.

Time to switch to decaf Carnut!

6-14-08

I do not believe the CJ is the car we have been seeing in the spy shots as was stated in the posting secondary title line. I think the mule shots are of the next production model.

This doesnt make sence to me. I never heard of this type of car(race car\non-street legal) being sold at a dealership and as a Ford production car. Then having a markup? WHAT the hell? and WHY.

The 1964 Thunderbolt was basically a race car (fiberglass hood, radio & heater delete, 427 solid lifter motor, etc...) that was sold through select dealers, like Tasca Ford because of their relationship with the higher-ups at Ford. Sounds like this is a similar deal in the works.

your paying more then this for the KR :hysterical3:

I disagree with the Sub-title of this thread.... "This is the car we've seen in the spy shots" The Cobra Jet car is not Street Legal & will be only used for drag racing. The CJ will use the 2007/2008/2009 shelby body style & be the last 50 mustangs to be built in December before the production line changes over to the new 2010 body style. The CJ cars will be delivered in January 2009, The 2010 cars are the ones we are seeing running around in Diapers but will be built in the 2009 model year as 2010's, just in time for the Camaro debute.

I disagree with the Sub-title of this thread.... "This is the car we've seen in the spy shots" The Cobra Jet car is not Street Legal & will be only used for drag racing. The CJ will use the 2007/2008/2009 shelby body style & be the last 50 mustangs to be built in December before the production line changes over to the new 2010 body style. The CJ cars will be delivered in January 2009, The 2010 cars are the ones we are seeing running around in Diapers but will be built in the 2009 model year as 2010's, just in time for the Camaro debute.

+1000

• 4 months later...

After seeing an article about the FR500CJ in the new issue of Autoweek (11/3)

I did a Google search, and it seems that there a lot more information out there, now that SEMA show is just around the corner.

Video on Autoblog

Pic's from Autoblog

According to the Autoweek article, Ford's already got 14 names on the list for the 2010's.

After seeing an article about the FR500CJ in the new issue of Autoweek (11/3)

I did a Google search, and it seems that there a lot more information out there, now that SEMA show is just around the corner.

Video on Autoblog

Pic's from Autoblog

According to the Autoweek article, Ford's already got 14 names on the list for the 2010's.

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE COBRA JET IN PERSON AT PAULS HIGH PERFORMANCE

WHO TUNED IT A FEW DAYS BEFORE THIS VIDEO WAS SHOT AT MILAN DRAGWAY WHICH IS

15 MINUTES OR SO FROM PAULSHP.COM . THE CAR THAT DAY WAS DRIVEN BY PAUL SVINICKI

HIMSELF AND IS SPORTING AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISION. THE HORSE POWER IS UNDER

ESTIMATED AT THE FLYWHEEL AND RUMOR HAS IT THAT IT WILL RUN IN THE LOW 10'S AND HAS

CLOSE TO THE REPORTED HORSEPOWER AT THE REAR WHEELS.

IT IS VERY SWEET AND IS DEFINATELY A TURN KEY STRIP MONSTER WITH THE CAPABILITIES OF

RUNNING IN THE LOW 8'S WITH SOME ADDED GOODIES

post-18850-1225424999_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1225424999_thumb.jpg

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE COBRA JET IN PERSON AT PAULS HIGH PERFORMANCE

WHO TUNED IT A FEW DAYS BEFORE THIS VIDEO WAS SHOT AT MILAN DRAGWAY WHICH IS

15 MINUTES OR SO FROM PAULSHP.COM . THE CAR THAT DAY WAS DRIVEN BY PAUL SVINICKI

HIMSELF AND IS SPORTING AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISION. THE HORSE POWER IS UNDER

ESTIMATED AT THE FLYWHEEL AND RUMOR HAS IT THAT IT WILL RUN IN THE LOW 10'S AND HAS

CLOSE TO THE REPORTED HORSEPOWER AT THE REAR WHEELS.

IT IS VERY SWEET AND IS DEFINATELY A TURN KEY STRIP MONSTER WITH THE CAPABILITIES OF

RUNNING IN THE LOW 8'S WITH SOME ADDED GOODIES

Remember, Ford Racing is not dumb!! If they are building the car to compete in Stock and Super Stock; in particular A/S and SS/A, the factory rated horsepower vs. weight has to be such that the car can legally run with the current NHRA class cars in that catagory and run the times that they are running. The A/S cars are running 10.0's and some even 9.80-9.90's. The SS/A cars, in particular the Hemi cars are now running 8.40's!!! Ford will use the NHRA formula in place now to factor the correct hp. rating for this car to be competitive in these classes, otherwise they wouldn't put the program together. JMOP

Remember, Ford Racing is not dumb!! If they are building the car to compete in Stock and Super Stock; in particular A/S and SS/A, the factory rated horsepower vs. weight has to be such that the car can legally run with the current NHRA class cars in that catagory and run the times that they are running. The A/S cars are running 10.0's and some even 9.80-9.90's. The SS/A cars, in particular the Hemi cars are now running 8.40's!!! Ford will use the NHRA formula in place now to factor the correct hp. rating for this car to be competitive in these classes, otherwise they wouldn't put the program together. JMOP

YOU ARE DEAD RIGHT ON THAT ONE. ALL I CAN SAY IS I AM NOT AT LIBERTY TO DISCLOSE ANY

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. THAT BEING SAID, THIS CAR IS A MONSTER AND IF YOU HAVE

THE MONEY TO BUY IT. YOU WILL DEFINATELY BE WINNING RACES LIKE A ROCK STAR !!!!

So are these FRPP long tubes or Kooks? And where can we get this full race exhaust. Sounds great. What about different cams? I've heard rumors that FRPP will have some Hot Rod Cams for the 4v's soon.

ALL PARTS ON THE CAR EXCEPT FOR THE WHEELS ARE FRP PARTS

INCLUDING THE HEADERS AND EXHAUST

SCOTTY

ANOTHER NEW VIDEO OF THE COBRA JET AT MILAN DRAGWAY WITH PAUL SVINICKI AT THE WHEEL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWzNFiYy-Bg

So are these FRPP long tubes or Kooks? And where can we get this full race exhaust. Sounds great. What about different cams? I've heard rumors that FRPP will have some Hot Rod Cams for the 4v's soon.

NONE OF THE PARTS THAT ARE ON THE FR500CJ ARE AVAILIBLE FOR PURCHASE AT THIS TIME.

THAT WOULD INCLUDE ANY 4V HIGH PERFORMANCE CAMS OR THE RACE EXHAUST.

Archived