TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-500 Kill!

piperpilotduane

The GT500 will eat brakes fast as well 68, and the car is *not* engineered to hold up cooling wise on a road course. The blower will heat soak the engine and kill it. Just like term's and heat soak on cylinders 7 and 8 after prolonged sessions under boost. This car is no different.

ec, I wonder about that whole heatsoak idea of yours. I would expect that the Ford GT would be designed to NOT heatsoak. Just about everything printed about the GT500 says that the top end is from the GT.

Also, my complaint with piperfool rests in his overall negative attitude toward the GT500. There is plenty of room in MY world for all Mustangs, but appearantly his relegats GT500s and there owners to second class status.

ec, if you reread my first post, you'll notice that I was the first to bring Foxes into the thread.

Fordevangelist - piperfool's car is NOT an 11 sec street car. He ran on slicks. Las time I looked at a vehicle code, slicks were not street legal. I wonder if piperfool would post a loss to a GT500 on the street?

How 'bout y'all stop bashing the GT500 and enjoy the fact that we all drive one of histories most well known cars. There are a lot of people that envy us because they're forced to drive something else.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running the NOS at VIR, Road Atlanta, CMP or any other HPDE I do, would not be very economical! But its a hoot with the supercharger! AT VIR I can come out of the turn at the Oak Tree and bury the speedometer past the 140 mark when I brake to turn in at the Roller Coaster! Be sure to run Hawk Black or Carbotech Pads for this though! By the way my mods may have cost a little more, but my wife may be monitoring the forum. I guarentee it was $5K less the the FMV or ADM paid for some of the GT500's. And about warrenties, they are for people who want and need them. They have a purpose and I'm glad for the consumers who have them. As for this car I have none left unless I take off a bunch of parts!

There more to owning a car than who's fastest at the dragstrip. Offer to swap your new GT500 for one of those 9 or 10 second cars and most of 'em would do it in a heartbeat. The only ones who wouldn't probably already have a GT500 sitting in their garage!!

I KNOW you want one! :D

LMAO! Man, you drank every flavor of Shelby kool-aid they had, didn't you?

ec, I wonder about that whole heatsoak idea of yours. I would expect that the Ford GT would be designed to NOT heatsoak. Just about everything printed about the GT500 says that the top end is from the GT.

Also, my complaint with piperfool rests in his overall negative attitude toward the GT500. There is plenty of room in MY world for all Mustangs, but appearantly his relegats GT500s and there owners to second class status.

ec, if you reread my first post, you'll notice that I was the first to bring Foxes into the thread.

Fordevangelist - piperfool's car is NOT an 11 sec street car. He ran on slicks. Las time I looked at a vehicle code, slicks were not street legal. I wonder if piperfool would post a loss to a GT500 on the street?

How 'bout y'all stop bashing the GT500 and enjoy the fact that we all drive one of histories most well known cars. There are a lot of people that envy us because they're forced to drive something else.

Name calling is uncalled for, and I happen to like all makes and models of mustangs. I currently own 6 of them in various forms and a few even run. WELCOME ALL SHELBY OWNERS, REAL OR NOT, I still love you all. Soo mutch that I have a 65 GT-350 CLONE! But it will not out run my 06 GT! :party::rockon:

Piper, I don't doubt nor do I have issues with you smoking a GT500. I did take exception to your comments. My other ride eats Terminators on the road course as well as the drags and has run faster than your pass vs the GT500 but..... a) I've spent considerable money modding it....... B.) Does not make the Termie or your car a Piece of $hit........

Now, if the Shelby driver was smack talking then I agree HE had it coming, not all of us.

lastly, I got the GT500 because I liked the car. How much has ol Carroll had to do with it? I don't think we'll ever find out for sure but I don't care. It says Shelby on it so as far as I'm concerned it's a Shelby and will be in the registry.

off soapbox

Guest evilchris

Good post, you're a cool dude in my book. The best way to test the cooling theory is to remove your speed limiter and do a high speed run. That's a killer for terminators.

Guest evilchris

Piper, I don't doubt nor do I have issues with you smoking a GT500. I did take exception to your comments. My other ride eats Terminators on the road course as well as the drags and has run faster than your pass vs the GT500 but..... a) I've spent considerable money modding it....... B.) Does not make the Termie or your car a Piece of $hit........

Now, if the Shelby driver was smack talking then I agree HE had it coming, not all of us.

lastly, I got the GT500 because I liked the car. How much has ol Carroll had to do with it? I don't think we'll ever find out for sure but I don't care. It says Shelby on it so as far as I'm concerned it's a Shelby and will be in the registry.

off soapbox

kaylan it comes from the average GT500's fans opinion ( not you or TAHOE GT ) that all other Mustangs are pieces of shit. I can EASILY imagine a smug GT500 owner rolling on to the track with his "fastest car in the world" attitude and then running off scared after hes owned.

off soapbox

Well said, Kaylan...

I like 'em all too. The GT500 is special, I think. It is what it is and that's a good thing to my mind.

Guest evilchris

Well said, Kaylan...

I like 'em all too. The GT500 is special, I think. It is what it is and that's a good thing to my mind.

Yeah it is special. We finally got a bigger engine since 1993 =) About time.

To clarify before I'm flamed: Yes I know the 95 Cobra R had a 351 and the 2000 Cobra R had a 331. I'm talking mass produced stangs.

Again, this is the Mustang GT forum - you should consider the GT500 forum if you want to hang around with the rest of the Shelby cheerleaders. I'm coming to the conclusion that most - I said most - GT500 owners or wannabe owners are relatively clueless about cars in general.

You should realize that not all people look at the GT500 the way you probably do. If someone doesn't like the car why shouldn't they be able to say that they don't like it? Don't be so insecure about the choices you make. I've made my choice to buy a new Mustang GT and mod it till I'm happy with it. If someone doesn't like one of my mods... er... so?

I don't really think the GT500 is running 11.8x even with slicks - unless it's modded correctly. If you own a stock GT500, prove me wrong. Be glad to see it and I'd be among the first to say good job. Actually, I'm guessing that MOST GT500 owners are lucky to get into the 12's with their cars (on street tires anyway).

Evo Performance is in the 11's (or did they hit the 10's yet?) but I'm not seeing a boatload of GT500's in the 11's. Only know of the one right now but so what if there're more. There're many GT's in the 11's. Check out Team JDM. They've got a sweet setup.

Off topic a bit... the 5.4L is an awesome engine - I have an old 5.4L 2v in my truck that I've been running 14psi through on a regular basis for 30,000 miles. That's a stock bottom end, too. So, the GT500 definitely has a good engine in it. The 4v is far, far superior to what's in my truck.

I believe that piperpilotduane's victim is a great example of someone who foolishly spent money trying to go fast. You can have a loaded Mustang GT running 11's for less than $45,000 (including loaded new car) and that's on the high end!

I'm relatively new to the Mustang world (but not new to Ford) but my guess is that there's always been a bit of a rift between the Cobra and Mustang GT owners. Just a natural occurrence i think.

Now I digress. :party:

Again, this is the Mustang GT forum - you should consider the GT500 forum if you want to hang around with the rest of the Shelby cheerleaders. I'm coming to the conclusion that most - I said most - GT500 owners or wannabe owners are relatively clueless about cars in general.

You should realize that not all people look at the GT500 the way you probably do. If someone doesn't like the car why shouldn't they be able to say that they don't like it? Don't be so insecure about the choices you make. I've made my choice to buy a new Mustang GT and mod it till I'm happy with it. If someone doesn't like one of my mods... er... so?

I don't really think the GT500 is running 11.8x even with slicks - unless it's modded correctly. If you own a stock GT500, prove me wrong. Be glad to see it and I'd be among the first to say good job. Actually, I'm guessing that MOST GT500 owners are lucky to get into the 12's with their cars (on street tires anyway).

First of all, I just realized that this was in the Gt forum. hmmmmm.

Now in fairness to the other GT500 owners you as a GT owner also have to understand that since this car was confirmed and then went into production it's been like a Red Headed Step Child. First it's too fat, then it's the ADM's, then it's "not that fast", and so on and so on. It gets kind of frustrating to be the whipping boy. Now, I agree some points are valid but it gets tiring getting bashed on even by other Stang owners. Two of them I personally know were going to get the car except for the ADM issue and suddenly the car is a POS. Later they admitted they went bitter on the car not for any car related reason but simply because they won't get one because of the dealers.

I think with a good driver this car could dip into 11's on a tire. High 11's but I think it's possible. Personally I think my car feels like a mid 12 second car stock. I won't find out until next year when I run it though.

....but I digress.

I believe that piperpilotduane's victim is a great example of someone who foolishly spent money trying to go fast. You can have a loaded Mustang GT running 11's for less than $45,000 (including loaded new car) and that's on the high end!

Or maybe the guy just got his new GT500 and wanted to see what it would do bone-stock. Why is he foolish? Maybe he didn't want a GT that runs in the 11s for $45K. A CAI, exhaust and tune will get you there for GT500, but maybe that's not that guys thing. Surely you can respect that too? Not looking to poke you <really> just trying to keep this in perspective. For less $$$ a GT beat GT500. So what?! That's cool. What am I missing?

Funny, when I bought my '68 fastback, I didn't even want the C-stripe of the GT, so I started with a base fastback and opted the motor, springs, wheels/tires, brakes, cooling so I could have a sleeper. It was no faster than a 390 S-code GT (actually it was a bit faster because it weighed 90lbs less <lol>) but that was my style -- low key. Then some dude offers me the whole Shelby clip parts, incl the rear lights and sequencers, for $50! So I had 'bogus' Shelby that everyone started to run. But a lot of 396 chevelles thought they were cool only losing by a length or so to a 'Shelby" until they found out it was a lil-ol' 390.. fun times for sure.

Again, this is the Mustang GT forum...

Oddly, when I'm in the GT500 forum, this thread shows-up in "view new posts".

There're many GT's in the 11's
But, there it is - it has to be properly modded. Yes, it will cost less to do so, but at MSRP the GT500 is a helluva car. Also, GTs have been around 2+ years. I would bet that in 2009 we'll se quite a few 10 sec. GT500s.

My personal best on DRs so far is 12.63@110+ with some wheel hop. The GT500 weighed in at 4200 in race trim w/me in it.

Personally, I don't brag about beating anyone. You win some. You lose some. There's always somebody driving a seriously bada$$ car waiting around the corner.

Evo Performance is in the 11's (or did they hit the 10's yet?) but I'm not seeing a boatload of GT500's in the 11's. Only know of the one right now but so what if there're more. There're many GT's in the 11's. Check out Team JDM. They've got a sweet setup.

Off topic a bit... the 5.4L is an awesome engine - I have an old 5.4L 2v in my truck that I've been running 14psi through on a regular basis for 30,000 miles. That's a stock bottom end, too. So, the GT500 definitely has a good engine in it. The 4v is far, far superior to what's in my truck.

I'm relatively new to the Mustang world (but not new to Ford) but my guess is that there's always been a bit of a rift between the Cobra and Mustang GT owners. Just a natural occurrence i think.

Now I digress. :party:

OK, let me see if I can do this without offending anyone?? OK, How many GT's have been produced in the last two years as opposed to GT500's. Statistically there should be many more GT's running 11's. And ya know what. thats great! Its a Mustang! Now, making a blanket statement that most GT500 ownwers know nothing about car's, I guess you are entitled to an opinion but Im not sure what reality thats based on? I think most GT500's, Like most mustang GT's will be stock (or relatively) , no question! That does not mean the owners dont know anything about cars. Most of us are not interested in 1/4 mile times. Sorry. And, there should be no riff between Mustang and Cobra owners. The Cobra's and for that Matter, the GT500 has never been the top of the heap as far as Mustangs go. You wouldhave to look to Rousch or Saleen for that. But they have been the best the Factory has to offer.

EC, you talk about the brakes, well, none of the stock brakes hold up well to road racing. I do high speed touring and I can make two events with my Stock Cobra/Brembo setup with PF 90 compound pads. Keep in mind, those are usually 20 minute sessions. The GT brakes will not hold up that well! With 14 inch brembos and 4 piston calipers, the 500 will hold up better even at the heavier weight. Of course, those brakes will fit the new GT's, a great upgrade if you ask me. Also, Ford Racing has been attempting to get the GT500 noses on the race cars legal. They perform much better than the standard GT. As fo the forums, I dont think there was anything in the rules when I signed up that siad I was restricted to the GT500 thread. Im a Mustang guy, not a Shelby cheerleader! There are things about the GT500 I dont like. Let me try to put this in pespective. I hate Corvettes! That being said, the ZO6 is an awesome car. Its a car I will be happy to beat at the track someday. And it will happen! And I will post the day I do,but, that doesnt take away that its a fantastic machine.

Most of us are not interested in 1/4 mile times.

Amen.

Glad you drag racers have something to be interested in and excited about, but some of us don't live anywhere near a drag strip- or any kind of race facility for that matter. (The 4000 ft. runway at my small town airport will have to do). :D

OK, let me see if I can do this without offending anyone?? OK, How many GT's have been produced in the last two years as opposed to GT500's. Statistically there should be many more GT's running 11's. And ya know what. thats great! Its a Mustang! Now, making a blanket statement that most GT500 ownwers know nothing about car's, I guess you are entitled to an opinion but Im not sure what reality thats based on? I think most GT500's, Like most mustang GT's will be stock (or relatively) , no question! That does not mean the owners dont know anything about cars. Most of us are not interested in 1/4 mile times. Sorry. And, there should be no riff between Mustang and Cobra owners. The Cobra's and for that Matter, the GT500 has never been the top of the heap as far as Mustangs go. You wouldhave to look to Rousch or Saleen for that. But they have been the best the Factory has to offer.

EC, you talk about the brakes, well, none of the stock brakes hold up well to road racing. I do high speed touring and I can make two events with my Stock Cobra/Brembo setup with PF 90 compound pads. Keep in mind, those are usually 20 minute sessions. The GT brakes will not hold up that well! With 14 inch brembos and 4 piston calipers, the 500 will hold up better even at the heavier weight. Of course, those brakes will fit the new GT's, a great upgrade if you ask me. Also, Ford Racing has been attempting to get the GT500 noses on the race cars legal. They perform much better than the standard GT. As fo the forums, I dont think there was anything in the rules when I signed up that siad I was restricted to the GT500 thread. Im a Mustang guy, not a Shelby cheerleader! There are things about the GT500 I dont like. Let me try to put this in pespective. I hate Corvettes! That being said, the ZO6 is an awesome car. Its a car I will be happy to beat at the track someday. And it will happen! And I will post the day I do,but, that doesnt take away that its a fantastic machine.

Now would that be a modded ZO6 vs a modded Shelby or a stock vs modded or modded vs stock or stock vs stock. We need to know so which way to be offended. :hysterical:

Guest evilchris

Now would that be a modded ZO6 vs a modded Shelby or a stock vs modded or modded vs stock or stock vs stock. We need to know so which way to be offended. :hysterical:

lol

Archived