TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone here into Guns?????????????????

My dear God there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

1) S&W has been running offers through most retailers (especially bigger ones like Gander Mountain) selling those Sigmas for $250-$300.

2) You absolutely CAN ship guns through UPS and FedEx.. how else do you think they get shipped???

3) In order to do so a private party sale must be transacted through a licensed FFL holder. Owner/seller must ship TO the FFL holder, and the buyer must then retrieve it from the FFL holder by legally filling out the required forms just as if he/she were purchasing from that dealer.

When you ship your own gun to anyone... as long as the OWNERSHIP is not being transferred (such as in sending it to factory for repairs, or sending it to gunsmith for customization) you do NOT need to involve a FFL holder and pay their fees because you are shipping TO an FFL (manufacturer or gunsmith) and they are shipping back to the owner (you).

4) I won't even get into the whole "clip" and "magazine" thing....

:finger:

I think you pretty much repeated every thing I stated in my original post (#17) but maybe in greater detail. I would like to hear your dissertation on the "clip vs. magazine". :hysterical:

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread reminds me to mention that the Supreme Court is expected to hand down a decision this week or next(?) in a landmark 2nd Amendment case (challenge to D.C. local gun ban).

Could be any day this week.

Stay tuned!

:mail:

Given their recent rulings I am concerned. :)

I think you pretty much repeated every thing I stated in my original post (#17) but maybe in greater detail. I would like to hear your dissertation on the "clip vs. magazine". :hysterical:

lol, sorry... I breezed right by yours as my mind went into overload there...

Yeah, the whole "clip" thing is really irksome, but if I start, I won't stop.

For the OP, to keep it short and sweet.. you put a CLIP in your hair. You put a MAGAZINE in your firearm.

If anyone is interested in S&W 9MM's PM me. I have 6 of differing models. Most stainless steel and alloy, one full stainless. As for round capacity, it is not the gun so much as it is the magazine that limits. They block the larger magazines from holding it's capacity since the laws changed. Pretty stupid really, like there is a crime difference if you shoot 10 or 12 or 15 shots! Anyways I have both 10 and 10+. Smaller models limit capacity and the larger have more capacity just because the magazine is larger. Magazine and clip refer to gun and rifle, just an FYI. I have used the S&W weapons for over 15 years, carried with a CCW for just as long. Great guns. I like the stainless over the blued guns, and even though the S&W is heavier to carry, they are very reliable guns. In all my years, and I owned several and was responsible for a fleet of 60+, I only had one jam and repaired. I also like the ambidextrous safety, and the trigger action. Over all just a great gun. As for buying and selling, I have sold several back in MI and all that was required was a cert to buy from the buyer and me completing it all and keeping a copy for my records that I sold it. It is up to the buyer to register the gun after the sale. Anyways, car, guns..... all cool in the right hands. Good luck.

"gotta gun, in fact I got 2, thats ok, cause I love guns" .......Eddie Vetter

I'm gonna get to see ol' Eddie next month in L.A. The "VH1 Rock Honors" is honoring my favorite band, The Ooo, this year.

Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Incubus, and Flaming Lips will all do something Who-ish. Then the lads will take the stage. It will be broadcast July 17. Look for me in the third row off of Pete's side of the stage, in the white Eli Manning Super Bowl jersey.

:happy feet:

They block the larger magazines from holding it's capacity since the laws changed. Pretty stupid really, like there is a crime difference if you shoot 10 or 12 or 15 shots! Anyways I have both 10 and 10+.

Anyways, car, guns..... all cool in the right hands. Good luck.

TRUE on BOTH.

Back in the Late 80's I had a 32 Shot Tech 9 with the Extendable Screw On Barrel. Very Cool Gun. Sold it to a House Rep here in our Capital in Tallahassee. The funny thing is........ When he Bought it he had me bring it to him AT WORK. I walked right in the Front Doors of the Capital with it in a Paper Bag past many Capital Police and NOT ONE stopped me. I took it to his Office and set the Bag on his Desk, he pulled it out to look at it and Paid me for it. And YES, there were Bullitts in it...................And YES, I wiped off MY Prints before I delivered it........................... :hysterical:

OH the Crazy Times we lived in back then....................................... :hysterical3:

David.

if you want a great long range target rifle check out the howa axiom and or the ruger target rifle, both are great heavy barrel rifles, i have the ruger in 243 that i shoot pdogs out to 750 yard with and it is easy rifle to shoot

The .243 Win. is a great all-around cartridge, from pdogs to blacktail deer, it can cover them all and the accuracy is very good to excellent. I also like .270 Win. and being a M1 Garand and 1903 collector I like the .30-06 Springfield too, my favorite 'plinker' cartridge is the .22 Hornet. I've got a bone stock pre-64 Winchester mod. 70 field grade rifle with a Unertl 16X varmint scope in .22 Hornet that shoots 1 hole groups at 100 yards with factory Win. Super X ammo, I just grin everytime I shoot that rifle.

My most accurate long range (600+ yards) 'factory' varmint rifle is a stainless steel Sako model 75 Varmint in .22-250 with a laminated stock and topped with a Swarvorski 30mm PV-S 6-24x50 target scope; the 75 Sako action is sooo silky smooth, it's spendy for sure, but it's also made like a Rolex or Omega watch.

Savage Arms also makes some excellent varmint rifles for a reasonable price, topped with a good piece of glass they're hard to beat for a "factory' rifle; I like the Zeiss Conquest scopes for budget rifle builds, I have also found the Bausch & Lomb Elite series (mod. 4200) is a very good budget scope as well.

If you want to spend a little more (OK maybe more than 'a little') for a semi-custom factory rifle look at Cooper Arms, Kimber also has some nice sporting and varmint rifles; but at this price level you can get a Sako 75.

One bit of advise when buying new production firearms, choose/find the rifle you like and see if you can find one used on Gunbroker.com; I never buy a new production gun without seeing if I can find one on the used market first.

lol, sorry... I breezed right by yours as my mind went into overload there...

Yeah, the whole "clip" thing is really irksome, but if I start, I won't stop.

For the OP, to keep it short and sweet.. you put a CLIP in your hair. You put a MAGAZINE in your firearm.

Just to be a smart arss, what do you do with a 'En-Bloc Clip' used in the M1 Garand rifle? :D

Just to be a smart arss, what do you do with a 'En-Bloc Clip' used in the M1 Garand rifle? :D

THAT is a clip.

There is a great photo I was trying to find last night... it is a picture of a stripper clip, and a pistol mag. It has the captions "THIS is a clip.... THIS is a magazine" but I couldn't find the pic for some reason.

As you well know, that clip and a pistol mag work in different ways :D

As you well know, that clip and a pistol mag work in different ways :D

As long as they FEED the shiny Bullitt into the Gun correctly, thats all that matters............... :superhero:

David.

You know, I keep hearing guns kill but I keep a 9mm beside my bed about a foot from my head and it hasn't done anything yet. I guess it likes me. :lol:

I'm thinking HARD about a Compensated Glock 32-C (.357 sig) a guy is selling in the DFW area. Anyone have any experience with that type of pistol?

I have a S&W .357 mag. and in all honesty that thing is awesome...never fails and when I'm at the range everyone knows it is a .357 Magnum.....I like it better than my Glock .45 GAP....my .22 riffle is what I use now mostly because I can get a box of 550 for $15.00 and be there all day...this hobby is expensive but man what a way to relieve some stress!!!!!

I have a S&W .357 mag. and in all honesty that thing is awesome...never fails and when I'm at the range everyone knows it is a .357 Magnum.....I like it better than my Glock .45 GAP....my .22 riffle is what I use now mostly because I can get a box of 550 for $15.00 and be there all day...this hobby is expensive but man what a way to relieve some stress!!!!!

I will probably get a .357 for me later on but right now I'm teaching my wife to shoot so she can get her CHL. Having never shot one I was just wondering if the .357 sig would be too powerful for a woman. She is taking to the 9mm very well though. Her 3rd time in her life to ever even hold a gun she nailed the bullseye at 10 yds about 1/8" under the cross hairs and now she's getting all cocky! :hysterical:

Here is one of the best rifles I have ever owned as far as long range shooting goes. If you really want a quality rifle, I would look at this website. Pricey? Yes, but you get what you pay for. Here is a picture of the rifle and here is the company that built it:

http://www.gaprecision.net/

Nice, but I dont want a Bolt Action. I want a 5 to 10 Shot Clip, OPPS....."MAGAZINE"........I'm to lazy to reload :hysterical:

David.

I will probably get a .357 for me later on but right now I'm teaching my wife to shoot so she can get her CHL. Having never shot one I was just wondering if the .357 sig would be too powerful for a woman. She is taking to the 9mm very well though. Her 3rd time in her life to ever even hold a gun she nailed the bullseye at 10 yds about 1/8" under the cross hairs and now she's getting all cocky! :hysterical:

Hey Stump,

My 23 year old daughter owns her own Glock .40 cal. and shoots it well. But, when all is said and done, she will take my 9mm Sig over any other pistol. The trick is putting the rounds into the 10 ring and the 9mm seems to be the weapon that does that most reliably for the women in my life. The most powerful handgun in the world is not worth a darn if you can't hit the target. My two cents.

Jim

It would have to be shipped through a Licensed Gun Dealer in the sending state to a Licensed Gun Dealer in the receiving state. The communist states have bans on handguns so be careful.

Not necessarily. If he sold to a friend and did not ship via mail, ups, fed ex, etc it would still be legal. If he drove to the friend's home, or vice versa, it is a legal transaction. However the communist democrats are trying to prohibit the sale of any firearm to another person without going through a dealer so they can track and keep records of whom owns what. Someday you may not be able to even pass a gun to your son or daughter without the government approving the transfer. You have to ask yourself why the liberals and democrats do not want citizens to have firearms? What do they fear? Let me see if I understand the liberals, make drugs legal to sell but not firearms.

Did you look at their site?

Yes, very cool, Thanks.

Not necessarily. If he sold to a friend and did not ship via mail, ups, fed ex, etc it would still be legal. If he drove to the friend's home, or vice versa, it is a legal transaction. However the communist democrats are trying to prohibit the sale of any firearm to another person without going through a dealer so they can track and keep records of whom owns what. Someday you may not be able to even pass a gun to your son or daughter without the government approving the transfer. You have to ask yourself why the liberals and democrats do not want citizens to have firearms? What do they fear? Let me see if I understand the liberals, make drugs legal to sell but not firearms.

Does UPS, FedEx or DHL scan/Xray the Packages? If not, how would they know you are shipping a Pistol.........Its not like anyone would be Dumb enough to write GUN on the Box....................

David.

The en bloc is a u shaped pressed sheet metal that holds 8 30-06 cartridges. The en bloc and bullets are inserted into the TOP of a M-1 Garand rifle. The rifle fires the 8 shots then ejects the en bloc clip out the top of the rifle. The rifle locks back so as to allow the reloading of another 8 shot clip. Be very careful when loading or you will find out what an M-1 thumb is. !

Yes, very cool, Thanks.

Does UPS, FedEx or DHL scan/Xray the Packages? If not, how would they know you are shipping a Pistol.........Its not like anyone would be Dumb enough to write GUN on the Box....................

David.

UPS does not scan every package. However, should you be caught sending the package you would be prosecuted and it is definitely not worth it. Stay legal. Say again. Stay legal. And advice for those that do not use firearms on a regular basis. Stay away from an automatic unless you practice regularly. If not, buy a high quality revolver such as S&W, Colt, or Ruger.

Stump, stay far away from Glock. In my learned opinion it is the most dangerous handgun, to the user, on the market. If you are going to buy a semi auto pistol ensure the firearm has a magazine safety disconnect. The glock does not. There are many, many state, federal and local law enforcement officers, not to mention civilians, that have shot themselves with their unloaded glock.

Stump, stay far away from Glock. In my learned opinion it is the most dangerous handgun, to the user, on the market. If you are going to buy a semi auto pistol ensure the firearm has a magazine safety disconnect. The glock does not. There are many, many state, federal and local law enforcement officers, not to mention civilians, that have shot themselves with their unloaded glock.

I love my glocks and my sig, and my kimber pistols. my fav is the glock as the only safety is the one god made for me, never shot myself.

clear your gun, look for empty chamber, then look again. shooting yourself on accident with an unloaded gun is caused by cocky, lazy people that forget to look and look again. it only takes 10 seconds, imo worth it. Jim your opinion on this subject please.

I love my glocks and my sig, and my kimber pistols. my fav is the glock as the only safety is the one god made for me, never shot myself.

clear your gun, look for empty chamber, then look again. shooting yourself on accident with an unloaded gun is caused by cocky, lazy people that for get to look and look again. it only takes 10 seconds, imo worth it.

I can only say that many, many people have shot themselves with the glock. The same does not happen with the magazine safety disconnect. Yes a person should check the weapon, actually triple check. But mistakes still happen and tragedies result. It is better to have a pistol with the mag safety disconnect, in my opinion, and remove that factor from the equation. Look at the S&W M&P pistol for a truly exceptional pistol. JMO, and I have a very, very, long history with firearms.

If you shoot yourself, then you are being negligent. For a personal self-defense firearm, I like the Glock for simplicity. Many people in the heat of the moment have not got a round off in self-defense (including police officers) because they forgot to click the safety off costing them precious seconds in a life or death situation. You can minimize this with repeated training, unfortunately many people don't ever put in this kind of effort and have never been faced with a life threatening event where even the simplest of actions become difficult. So I personally believe in the Glock or a double action revolver like a S&W...especially for women. If you treat the weapon as if it were loaded at all times, never point it at anything you don't intend to shoot and keep your finger straight and off the trigger at all times until ready to shoot, you will be fine. When deciding to do any kind of maintenance, clear the weapon by first removing the magazine and then ejecting the chambered round!

In answer to the question in the post, no, nobody here is into guns at all.

Tail end reading here, my personal favorites for self defense are:

.357 Magnum S&W double action Revolver. Hard to shoot accidentally, easy to shoot on purpose. Magnum round means it doesn't really matter if you hit your target or not, they are either in a world of hurt or running like hell.

Shotgun, for basically the same reasons, except it's harder to keep "handy", and generally speaking, they start running like hell before you get a chance to shoot. The sound of a pump action shotgun being cycled is worldwide the #1 most recognizeable sound.

For all-purpose carry, I really, really like the Glock. Damn fine gun. The model 19 with an extended mag fits really nice (the mag extension is really for your pinkie, not for extra bullets).

Onest upon a time I used to get paid to shoot. 400 yards and up. I'm thinking about bringing my real long range (1000 yards) iron sights to Terlingua (iron sights were a hobby, I had glass for the job). Just thinking. I haven't done that for nearly 40 years.

I have my CCH for VA and I have 3 toys to pick from.

Kimber Ultra Elite 45cal

H&K USP Compact 45

Glock Model 33 (Baby Glock) in 357 SIG with +1 mag extension, mainly for pinky support.

For pure "BARK" the H&K can't be beat it just sounds mean.

Accuracy the Kimber is pretty hard to beat for a short barreled 45

Ease of carry and a nasty bite then the Glock. That 357 SIG will ruin your day if you find yourself on the wrong end of it.

On the job I carry a Berretta 92 in 9mm.

Used to have a Sig Sauer P239 in 40 cal. but the ex liked it so she kept it when we split. She was pretty good with it too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Archived