TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Hub Caps

I need to know how to get the original caps off without damaging them or the wheels. I have already tried the smallest screwdriver with a cloth behind it and i've made marks on both the hub cap and the wheel. I am really hoping the answer is not to take the wheel off. Can anyone help me??????????????

I need to know how to get the original caps off without damaging them or the wheels. I have already tried the smallest screwdriver with a cloth behind it and i've made marks on both the hub cap and the wheel. I am really hoping the answer is not to take the wheel off. Can anyone help me??????????????

Take the wheels off of the car, flip them over, use a hammer handle or some other wooden dowel, tap the the center cap from the rear and it should pop out after a few gentle taps.

If you don't take the wheels off and remove the caps in that manner, you will risk maring both the wheel and the cap.

I guess I got lucky in prying mine off with the screwdriver/cloth method without any damage. But, I can not suggest this method to anyone. Too many variables in the translation, eh?

It's prolly better to take the wheel off the car and pop the center cap out from behind. Besides, this gives you a chance to inspect what the wheel hides in normal use.

Just my .02C, carry on, gents.

Thanks a lot. This seems like it's quite a pain and a lot of work to do just replace the hub caps.

I hear ya, Speedy...PITA that it is, it's good overall. Best to get intimate with your SGT ASAP eh? Pull a wheel/tire assembly and see what's behind it?

BTW...Better to call them "center caps", rather than hub caps, so, no one here misunderstands you?

Thanks a lot. This seems like it's quite a pain and a lot of work to do just replace the hub caps.

To justify the PITA factor, rotate your tires and inspect & clean everything in the process.

Jim

Thanks all. The center caps will now have to wait. I'm away from home from Sun night through Sat night at work. I was really hoping to hear something different tho. Has anyone changed their center caps, have any pics? Also...what does PITA stand for?

P----Pain

I----In

T---The

A---A$$ :hysterical:

Bud

To justify the PITA factor, rotate your tires and inspect & clean everything in the process.

Jim

How are you doing your tire rotations? The front and rear are different widths. Are you just swapping from side to side? I asked my dealer to rotate mine and he mentioned the different width so he left tham as is. Just curious how you did yours?

How are you doing your tire rotations? The front and rear are different widths. Are you just swapping from side to side? I asked my dealer to rotate mine and he mentioned the different width so he left tham as is. Just curious how you did yours?

My SGT has the same size tire at all four corners, 235/50-18 BFG KDWS. What are you driving?

BTW...Swapping side to side isn't a bad idea. I rotate mine every 5K miles. The tire that sees the most wear is the right rear. Under normal driving conditions, this is the single traction tire because limited slip (Traction Lok) differentials do not kick in until you accelerate hard.

My SGT has the same size tire at all four corners, 235/50-18 BFG KDWS. What are you driving?

BTW...Swapping side to side isn't a bad idea. I rotate mine every 5K miles. The tire that sees the most wear is the right rear. Under normal driving conditions, this is the single traction tire because limited slip (Traction Lok) differentials do not kick in until you accelerate hard.

I feel stupid for answering this way but here goes "I have no idea wtf tire size the front and rear are then, I am only going by what my service writer told me" LOL. He said the fronts and rear were different widths and I never questioned it. I guess I will be getting those rotations after all..TY Lu Lu! :)

Archived