TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What comments do you hear at events?

old guy

I posted in another thread about a couple of comments I have heard at shows and events. It got me curious as to what else has been overheard. People look at the SGT and the GT500 and comment how the GT500 is a modified Mustang where the SGT is a real Shelby (not in the context normally discussed here.) One fellow came up and said the GT500 was fast, but the 2000 Corvettes were faster because their speedometer went up to 300 MPH (don't know if they do or not, that's just what he said.)

What kinds of comments have you overheard?

At Oviedo and Tidwell's Show 'n Shine, I heard lots of comments about how effing hot it was.

I get comments on Corvettes, and also on Vipers. I'll generally suggest that I'll take any of them on as long as we all carry a three passenger handicap. That usually gets a laugh, but I think it makes the point pretty clearly. They're different cars entirely.

As for the 300 mph speedometer? Gee, I have no answer for that. That's one fast speedometer, for sure. I don't think my speedometer can go that fast. Even the planes I fly don't have speedometers that go that fast. Man, even the speedometer on my computer game doesn't go that fast. That sure is a fast speedometer, is all I can say.

Has this individual actually driven, for instance, an actual car?

You know, now that you mention it, my bathroom scale goes up to 300 pounds. I need to lose weight!

I posted in another thread about a couple of comments I have heard at shows and events. It got me curious as to what else has been overheard. People look at the SGT and the GT500 and comment how the GT500 is a modified Mustang where the SGT is a real Shelby (not in the context normally discussed here.) One fellow came up and said the GT500 was fast, but the 2000 Corvettes were faster because their speedometer went up to 300 MPH (don't know if they do or not, that's just what he said.)

I was at a cruise in up in NC last month and I heard from both ends of the spectrum so to spaek, at least age wise. Two older gentlemen in their late 60's were walking by (cars were parked along the street) and one said to the other, wow that's a classic. The other guy asked what is it? His more car knowlegable friend replied, "it's a Shelby and it's even signed by the MAN!" He then had a follow up question, how much you reckon that car costs? His friend said, don't matter, it's priceless. Me and my buddy got a real kick out of that!

Later we were still sitting there just chilling off on the sidewalk in our chairs when a family of 4 walked by. Mom, dad, baby and a young boy about 8 years old. You could tell mom and dad were just out doing something with the kids and did not have much interest in cars. The young boy got to the SGT and stopped dead in his tracks while the rest of the family kept walking. When dad turned around he told him to come on at which the young boy replied, "but dad, it's a Shelby!" I was shocked that he knew more about cars than his dad and of course his eye for quality.

I overheard a twenty something say he thought all Shelby's were turbo charged when looking at our car.

This wasn't at a convention but in a park in Mesquite as they were getting ready to play Frisbee-golf.

:hearseespeak:

In my neck of the woods the SGT reputation is evolving. Last year it was ALL about the GT500's. My little SGT was often confused as being a GT500 by those who didn't know better and only recognized the Shelby name. So most of the time people thought my car was 500 HP. I heard that ALL the time. Other times the SGT was seen as the baby Shelby and thus not as cool when compared to the 500. I love my car though and most people loved it too.

This year I find the public is MUCH more aware of the difference. Also there are 10 times more GT500's than the SGT at events, and though people seem to now know the difference I am finding that they like only seeing one of my car at these events. There was a large show in my area and the new GT500 count was up to 22 cars total. SGT's were 2. Me and one other guy.

My point is simply that these cars are indeed being seen a 2 different Shelby's and there are pro's and con's about each as they compare to one another. GT500 power plant is IMPRESSIVE to say the least. The looks of the GT500 front end are un-mistakable . But they are much more abundant and more likely to run into. The SGT has it's own iconic looks. Improved handling in turns, and the best part.... far fewer of them on the roads. Both are Shelby's both are cool. Wish I could own both, but for me if I can only have one... Well I made my choice and I am more than happy with it!

-Side note... at the last cruise night I did there was the first Challenger SRT-8 in our state. It was parked a few cars over from mine. I was next to an 06 GT-H and our two Shelbys got more looks and more reaction than the brand new Challenger and both the SGT and the GT-H have been shown around our area for over a year now! LOL

I would expect most folks at car shows to have at least an elementary knowledge of cars, but at almost every show, I'm surprised by someone who thinks my GT500 is just a regular mustang and they've never hear of "Shelby".

I had a guy come up to me at the RMMR and ask me, "What engine does that got in it...a 454?" blink.gif

Another guy asked, "What's that big black thing sitting on the top of the engine?" doh.gif

Then there were several people who said, "Yours looks nice, but that one over there (indicating a clone "GT350") is a really nice Shelby." banghead-2.gif

I would expect most folks at car shows to have at least an elementary knowledge of cars, but at almost every show, I'm surprised by someone who thinks my GT500 is just a regular mustang and they've never hear of "Shelby".

I had a guy come up to me at the RMMR and ask me, "What engine does that got in it...a 454?" blink.gif

Another guy asked, "What's that big black thing sitting on the top of the engine?" doh.gif

Then there were several people who said, "Yours looks nice, but that one over there (indicating a clone "GT350") is a really nice Shelby." banghead-2.gif

HHAHAAHAHAH :hysterical:

isnt a 454 a chevy?

and u should have told the guy that the black thing on the engine is an equivalent to a flight data recorder.

and as for the one who thought the clone was THE real Shelby....well....i'll get back with u on that...right now i'm stumped.

but as for me, i havent had a chance to go to any events yet. for obvious reasons.(pointing down)

Reading through this thread, it does seem that the rarity of the Shelby GT is going to be its best friend in the future, which I would have expected. People will be saying, "Yeah, but they only made 5800 of these", etc.

I still have yet to see any on the road in my city,Nashville TN,Yet on a road trip to Kentucky I saw 2 in 5 minutes in the same area.Possibly a car show was happening somewhere.These are rare cars indeed.The GT500's are more prevalent,Obviously because of the build numbers but I still get some looks like folks have never seen one before.Especially when I park at a chain store for shopping.People tell me they can't believe I use it as a daily driver.I got the same reaction with my Shelby GT.I always tell them owning one is not a spectator sport for me,Like sex(Delete if necessary),You got to be in it and watching does nothing for me.

Atlanta area you never see a SGT or GT500 on the road. @ cruise-in"s there is one of each.I think the day of 500+ HP cars like the mustang are limited. You better get one before they are gone. I plan on parking mine in the near future and using it for fun and shows. Maybe a used Honda 2000-s as a daily driver or MINI cooper , who knows.

Atlanta area you never see a SGT or GT500 on the road. @ cruise-in"s there is one of each.I think the day of 500+ HP cars like the mustang are limited. You better get one before they are gone. I plan on parking mine in the near future and using it for fun and shows. Maybe a used Honda 2000-s as a daily driver or MINI cooper , who knows.

What cruise-ins?

I bought my black SGT new in 12/07. I admit even I had to look one up on line before I went to the Ford dealer. I had only ever seen one new Hertz convert. before. With the pricing I was quoted over the phone, I knew I'd be buying it before I left for the Ford store.

I have since been to one Show & Sign at the dealership and one overnight cruise in Wendover, NV. At the dealership, I met probably the only other black SGT in the Salt Lake area. There were more GT500's and Cobras than SGTs. He and I were the only SGT cars on display. A few times a weeek I see a white one here in Park City, where I work.

The number one comment I get at events and just out and about is "I didn't know they make those any more." A close second has to be "Is it really a Shelby or just Mustang GT with stripes?" I always take great pride in showing off the signed dash plaque. That always opens up a whole area of questions.

There were around 400 cars registered at the Wendover criuse. I was the only SGT. I spent the entire event fielding questions and explaining that this car is the what I consider to be the equivalent of the old GT 350. not the 500. Some people had heard of the SGT but very few, if any, had ever seen one. I enjoy showing off my car and the interest it generates.

The only comment that was not so positive, made one only one person, was that any muscle car has to have a stick, not an automatic. When I decided to take the plunge last December, I had no choice if I wanted to support my local dealer. I have been an avid NHRA fan for over 40 years and have seen how far the automatics have come in race cars. I didn't know it at the time, but I have one of only 508 black automatics produced. That has to be worth something, too. I felt like if this guy could show me his 5 speed SGT, we'll talk. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Erik

07SGT#2940

Earlier this month I went to a big Mustang/Ford show in Des Moines, IA. There were about 250 cars there and 29 different classes. I was with about 20 other cars in the 2005 and up Shelby class. All were GT500s except for me and a guy who had a Barrett Jackson edition SGT. I'm not trying to start a fight, but the SGTs got alot of attention and I got asked tons of questions about my car and that they'd never seen one before. I got comments about what a nice looking car it was and they liked my CS6 hood and the aggresive stance the SGT has. The 500s were viewed as more common where as the SGT was unique. Anyway, in the popular vote the BJ edition got 1st place and I got 4th place. It was a good day. Dave

Ok so I had to call my father on this one because in driving his Y2K vette I did not remember a 300mph spedo on it. The spedo on the 2000 Vette is 180 mph. He went out to his car and visually confirmed this one for us.

i had the kids looking at my spedo also but then they said but i still like this one better (refering to mine). then on the way home at a light a car pulled up slowly besides me and i could see them mouth thats a shelby sweet lol.

The only comment that was not so positive, made one only one person, was that any muscle car has to have a stick, not an automatic. When I decided to take the plunge last December, I had no choice if I wanted to support my local dealer. I have been an avid NHRA fan for over 40 years and have seen how far the automatics have come in race cars. I didn't know it at the time, but I have one of only 508 black automatics produced. That has to be worth something, too. I felt like if this guy could show me his 5 speed SGT, we'll talk. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Erik

07SGT#2940

I hear that all the time myself as well. It doesn't sound like you were specifically searching for the automatic, but I was in my '04 Mach 1. Just remind the people that just because it's an automatic doesn't mean it's destined to be slower. From the factory, the automatic is slower than the stick, however, the automatic can be made quicker than the stick with just a little work done to it. You might also mention that the majority of drag cars are automatics for very good reason, when set up properly they're quicker than a stick. Now for road course racing the stick is definitely better. It all depends on what you're using the car for really. I'm a drag racing fan by nature though so of course I prefer the automatics. My wife wants a GT500 in the next few years and we'll probably put an automatic in it. :)

Well, it keeps happening. Our club, Northern Utah Mustang Owners Assoc., participated in a local 4th of July parade last Friday night. We had 13 cars entered. There were 11 Mustangs from 1965 to 2008 and two Shelbys, a red '68 GT350KR convertible and my '07 black SGT.

We lined up from oldest to newest so I was next to last. Even thought it was 102 degrees in the shade, we had the windows down to wave at the people. I never heard more "Hey look, its a Shelby!". We were told dozens of times that we were people's favorite dream car. I was surprised how many kids knew what a Shelby is. We had so many people run up and take pictures of me coming and going I had to be careful I didn't hit anybody. One guy told me if I did run over him, what a way to go! Even the announcer commented that my car was the one car not to go up against.

Naturally while were in the staging line and after we got back to that area, I got tons of questions from people about the car. Hopefully these guys walked away with a new respect for the SGT. I never tire of telling people all I know about them.

Hope you all had a safe and fun holiday.

Erik

07SGT2940

Ok so I had to call my father on this one because in driving his Y2K vette I did not remember a 300mph spedo on it. The spedo on the 2000 Vette is 180 mph. He went out to his car and visually confirmed this one for us.

Yeah, I didn't think it went that high... Don't even think the new 2009 Corvette ZR1 (638hp) will have a spedo that flashy, even though it is capable of 200+mph. Maybe the guy who made that comment was Canadian and got his MPH and KPH confused...

Back on topic though... when you all get the confused looks and questions, what's your "elevator speech" on the car? In other words, what do you tell people about it without losing them on the details that we're all so proud of?

Thanks,

Matt

Attending a small show a couple of weeks ago these 5 Harley's pull in. It was a flash back to the 60's. POW plates, bandana's in Red, White and Blue, and the arms covered in Tatoo's. Silver foxes, all of them. They climbed off the bikes and walked over to the cars and one turned to the other and said " that's the new Shelby". They came over and gave it the once over and then, while looking inside this one guy just starts breaking out in laughter. His buddy say's " what's so funny" he stopped for a second to regain his composure and said with a straight face " the Ole Man still has a pretty steady hand, and he's 85 I can't color between the lines of a coloring book". Everyone broke out laughing and then looked inside the car to see Carroll's signature on the Air Bag cover.

They had a very through knowledge of the marque and the questions were teriffic. I enjoyed my time with them explaining the Birthday Bash celebration. I made 5 new friends that day.

Roger

My 2 sons and I went to a "high performance" used car lot to look at a black Viper 2 weeks ago. Since there were 3 of us we took both the GT and the Shelby. Upon exiting the Shelby, a salesman approached me wearing a t-shirt and said "Nice Cobra"...my 21 yr. old son looked at me and shook his head...Then he said, "that one has 500 horsepower, right?" What an idiot!!!

My 2 sons and I went to a "high performance" used car lot to look at a black Viper 2 weeks ago. Since there were 3 of us we took both the GT and the Shelby. Upon exiting the Shelby, a salesman approached me wearing a t-shirt and said "Nice Cobra"...my 21 yr. old son looked at me and shook his head...Then he said, "that one has 500 horsepower, right?" What an idiot!!!

Stupid people bug me.

I was watching top Gear the other day, and it was an episode where they beefed up this tiny little electric car to make it really haul a$$. To compare & contrast their progress they ran it against "the new 500 horsepower Mustang." It was actually at Shelby GT they put it up against, not the GT500. These are supposed to be car guys WTF?

Archived