TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What makes the SGT just that

airforcevm

Since most of you know I'm new on here and that I'm a Chevy guy I don't know much about the SGT. What makes the SGT just that? Yes I will be looking for one when I get home from Iraq in Jan 09. Any info that you could tell me would be great. I have also already talked with some of the dealers on here so thats been a great help.

Since most of you know I'm new on here and that I'm a Chevy guy I don't know much about the SGT. What makes the SGT just that? Yes I will be looking for one when I get home from Iraq in Jan 09. Any info that you could tell me would be great. I have also already talked with some of the dealers on here so thats been a great help.

Well, first of all, it's a SHELBY! With a great heritage behind it, and a lot of performance for the buck that you are not going to get with a new Challenger, Charger, Camaro (If it ever shows up), or anything else that's out there on the road...It's not a GT500...until you drop the supercharger on it, then it'll eat GT500's up in the corners and the straights...the suspension package on the SGT is far better than what comes standard on the GT500. I've had my car since February and everywhere I go, people give me the "Thumbs Up", want to ask questions about it, want to hear it run, want to look at it, want to take pictures of it, and some just stand there and stare at it like it's something they've seen in a science fiction movie. All around, it's just a GREAT car for the price...BTW, don't pay any dealer ADM, because they can be had for a lot less...mine sat on the dealer floor for 5 months before they dropped their ADM and I bought it on the spot then...

Gotta getcha one of these before they're all gone!!! I guarantee you'll not be a CHEVY man any more!!! AND, I know my dad is turning over in his grave with me speaking these words, but BUICK hasn't offered anything performance wise since the 1970 Buick Grand Sport 455 Stage 1 package that I used to have, and this car is a whole lot more fun!!!

Well, first of all, it's a SHELBY! With a great heritage behind it, and a lot of performance for the buck that you are not going to get with a new Challenger, Charger, Camaro (If it ever shows up), or anything else that's out there on the road...It's not a GT500...until you drop the supercharger on it, then it'll eat GT500's up in the corners and the straights...the suspension package on the SGT is far better than what comes standard on the GT500. I've had my car since February and everywhere I go, people give me the "Thumbs Up", want to ask questions about it, want to hear it run, want to look at it, want to take pictures of it, and some just stand there and stare at it like it's something they've seen in a science fiction movie. All around, it's just a GREAT car for the price...BTW, don't pay any dealer ADM, because they can be had for a lot less...mine sat on the dealer floor for 5 months before they dropped their ADM and I bought it on the spot then...

Gotta getcha one of these before they're all gone!!! I guarantee you'll not be a CHEVY man any more!!! AND, I know my dad is turning over in his grave with me speaking these words, but BUICK hasn't offered anything performance wise since the 1970 Buick Grand Sport 455 Stage 1 package that I used to have, and this car is a whole lot more fun!!!

I would have thought that the GT500 would have a better suspention. If I was going to pay for that car I would expect something far greater than the Shelby GT. How come they are going to stop making them? Are they a special run like the SS Silverado that I have or something along that line?

I would have thought that the GT500 would have a better suspention. If I was going to pay for that car I would expect something far greater than the Shelby GT. How come they are going to stop making them? Are they a special run like the SS Silverado that I have or something along that line?

Talk to Jon (07CSM0260) about the "stock" GT500 Suspension vs the SGT Suspension... I'm pretty sure he's much happier now that the 40th Anniv package has been added to his GT500 :happy feet: ... At least it showed on the track down at Hallett during the Mid-America Meet :shift: ...

And I'm fairly certain that lack of HP and very poor marketing from FORD were the main reasons for only having the SGT in production for 2007 and 2008... But you can also draw a comparison to only having the 289 Cobras around for a couple of years and the original GT350 design was only used in 1965 and 66...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

And I'm fairly certain that lack of HP and very poor marketing from FORD were the main reasons for only having the SGT in production for 2007 and 2008... 07SGT0547

The number of Shelby GT's was as per original plan; they never intended to make more than they have made.

AND, I know my dad is turning over in his grave with me speaking these words, but BUICK hasn't offered anything performance wise since the 1970 Buick Grand Sport 455 Stage 1 package that I used to have, and this car is a whole lot more fun!!!

Don't forget, there was the Buick Grand National and GNX in (I think) '82 - '88 or thereabouts. These were some quick cars for their time!

Check out the new Team Shelby newsletter. There is a good article on the Shelby GT. The Motor Trend Pony car article is good and the press release from Shelby Automobiles about Shelby "dropping the top for 2008" is another great article. It's available for download somewhere on the forum. Google is your friend...

Don't forget, there was the Buick Grand National and GNX in (I think) '82 - '88 or thereabouts. These were some quick cars for their time!

Yeah, the Greand Nationals were quick for their time and they killed Corvettes in the 1/4 mile, but they still lacked the GRUNT of the old 455 cubic inch motor for raw horsepower...The Grand Nationals kind of sounded like grandma with the walkin farts when they were doing their burnouts...LOL

Talk to Jon (07CSM0260) about the "stock" GT500 Suspension vs the SGT Suspension... I'm pretty sure he's much happier now that the 40th Anniv package has been added to his GT500 :happy feet: ... At least it showed on the track down at Hallett during the Mid-America Meet :shift: ...

And I'm fairly certain that lack of HP and very poor marketing from FORD were the main reasons for only having the SGT in production for 2007 and 2008... But you can also draw a comparison to only having the 289 Cobras around for a couple of years and the original GT350 design was only used in 1965 and 66...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

He may be happier now with the 40th Anniversary conversion, but I bet his wallet is a LOT lighter now too...I saw the flyer for that conversion and it was $11,000.00 for the conversion...Sure am glad I didn't have to lay out that much to get the SGT to handle like it does...

The only thing that makes an SGT worth it is that you get to own a piece of the heritage laid down by Mr. Carroll Shelby. You can put all the exact same parts on a Mustang GT that is on an SGT but it will always be a clone, never a true Shelby.

You have to respect the man to respect the car.

That and it's a freaking blast to drive.

He may be happier now with the 40th Anniversary conversion, but I bet his wallet is a LOT lighter now too...I saw the flyer for that conversion and it was $11,000.00 for the conversion...Sure am glad I didn't have to lay out that much to get the SGT to handle like it does...

I didn't say it was cheap... But if you want a GT500 to corner and handle like the SGT, then you'll have to do something with the stock suspension... And in Jon's case (along with the other 40th owners), he decided to have his mods done at SAI... Kind of like having the S/C done on your SGT at an approved "Mod Shop" if you want it to be documented and registered correctly...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

He did't ask about a GT500 , have you ever owned one? I have owned both and SVT did a great job on the suspension. They also beefed up the rods,pistons and crank to handle the 500+ HP. Lets see what happens to a SGT after 25000 miles with a supercharger .The SGT is a great car from Shelby , but with a few mods the GT500 is the best Mustang ever. They are apples and oranges when you compare them.. Same heads and valve train thats on the( Ford GT Super Car).Thats what makes this car with a few mods run in the 10's or lower.

He did't ask about a GT500 , have you ever owned one? I have owned both and SVT did a great job on the suspension. They also beefed up the rods,pistons and crank to handle the 500+ HP. Lets see what happens to a SGT after 25000 miles with a supercharger .The SGT is a great car from Shelby , but with a few mods the GT500 is the best Mustang ever. They are apples and oranges when you compare them.

SGT is still better looking :slapfight: And i doubt the 4.6 engines will blow after 25,000 miles, 4.6's have been s/c'd to death for a long time, and if one did grenade then the owner would do the upgrade to the bottom end logically at that time and you'd still spend less money. :jackinbox: Oh yeah the sgt is lighter and looks better too... :hysterical:

First off, I want to thank you for your service. Be safe.

I have not owned a Ford product for almost 40 years. Always GM, Chevelles, Firebirds, 4x4 trucks. Every vehicle I have owned has been American and will be. Keep my business home, you know?

I have a 3 car garage and always wanted a muscle car again. Now that my kids are grown and moved out, I had the means to fill the 3rd bay with something. I was going to buy a late 60's car to restore or maybe one mostly restored. I'm not super mechanical but I can handle small tasks. After talking to people at several car shows and cruise nights, it looked like I would be spending around 40K for what I wanted to do. I decided to buy a new muscle car instead.

My criteria was: American, V-8, 2 door. Unless I wanted to wait for a new Challenger or Camaro, it pretty much was narrowed down to a Mustang GT or a 'Vette . I drove both and actually rented a Mustang GT to go to Vegas to the AC Delco Nationals last fall. I saw all of the Mustangs in the fenced parking lot at the Shelby factory and thought "How would it be?"

I work at a ski resort. I don't get a lot of time off in the winter so I actually did my shopping on line and on the phone. My local Ford dealer had a MGT that I wanted to put a LeMans stripe on to look like a Shelby. He asked why I wanted a fake Shelby when he had a real 07 SGT they couldn't sell due to the snow and gas prices at the time. He also had a Roush and a Saleen. I said thanks but it was out of my price range. He said he'd meet me half way on the price between the Shelby and the Mustang GT I was interested in. On 12/15/07 I became the proud owner of black, automatic # 2940, 1 of only 508 black automatics built.

This car has a rich history and heritage most American cars only envy. Even people who aren't "car people" I meet know the name. This car stands out among all of the foreign imports with noisy tail pipes. There is nothing like the sound of a Detroit V-8 breathing properly. It is a real blast to drive. The suspension handles like a dream and it has plenty of push you back in the seat power. The Shaker stero has a feature that increases the volume level as the engine revs up and the cockpit fills with that great V-8 sound. There is a certain aura and flair that only a Shelby has.

I attended a weekend overnight cruise last weekend with over 400 cars registered. I was the only SGT there and most folks had never seen one before in person. Some thought I dressed up a GT until they saw the numbered, autographed dash plaque. I spent all day answering questions and showing it off. Gotta love it.

If you have and opprtunity to by a Shelby GT or GT500, go for it. It is the best car I have ever owned. I am proud to be one of the lucky 5600 people who can enjoy an automotive legend. Hopefully you will join the fold.

Erik

Utah

SGT 2940

First off, I want to thank you for your service. Be safe.

I have not owned a Ford product for almost 40 years. Always GM, Chevelles, Firebirds, 4x4 trucks. Every vehicle I have owned has been American and will be. Keep my business home, you know?

I have a 3 car garage and always wanted a muscle car again. Now that my kids are grown and moved out, I had the means to fill the 3rd bay with something. I was going to buy a late 60's car to restore or maybe one mostly restored. I'm not super mechanical but I can handle small tasks. After talking to people at several car shows and cruise nights, it looked like I would be spending around 40K for what I wanted to do. I decided to buy a new muscle car instead.

My criteria was: American, V-8, 2 door. Unless I wanted to wait for a new Challenger or Camaro, it pretty much was narrowed down to a Mustang GT or a 'Vette . I drove both and actually rented a Mustang GT to go to Vegas to the AC Delco Nationals last fall. I saw all of the Mustangs in the fenced parking lot at the Shelby factory and thought "How would it be?"

I work at a ski resort. I don't get a lot of time off in the winter so I actually did my shopping on line and on the phone. My local Ford dealer had a MGT that I wanted to put a LeMans stripe on to look like a Shelby. He asked why I wanted a fake Shelby when he had a real 07 SGT they couldn't sell due to the snow and gas prices at the time. He also had a Roush and a Saleen. I said thanks but it was out of my price range. He said he'd meet me half way on the price between the Shelby and the Mustang GT I was interested in. On 12/15/07 I became the proud owner of black, automatic # 2940, 1 of only 508 black automatics built.

This car has a rich history and heritage most American cars only envy. Even people who aren't "car people" I meet know the name. This car stands out among all of the foreign imports with noisy tail pipes. There is nothing like the sound of a Detroit V-8 breathing properly. It is a real blast to drive. The suspension handles like a dream and it has plenty of push you back in the seat power. The Shaker stero has a feature that increases the volume level as the engine revs up and the cockpit fills with that great V-8 sound. There is a certain aura and flair that only a Shelby has.

I attended a weekend overnight cruise last weekend with over 400 cars registered. I was the only SGT there and most folks had never seen one before in person. Some thought I dressed up a GT until they saw the numbered, autographed dash plaque. I spent all day answering questions and showing it off. Gotta love it.

If you have and opprtunity to by a Shelby GT or GT500, go for it. It is the best car I have ever owned. I am proud to be one of the lucky 5600 people who can enjoy an automotive legend. Hopefully you will join the fold.

Erik

Utah

SGT 2940

Sounds like you found a winner in the SGT. I have been looking around and there are 2 Blue ones at the local Ford dealer down the road from my place. They are both manuals and to me thats the only way a true muscle car should be. I have owned 2 Trans Ams,96 with the 6 speed and a 2000 WS-6 Auto and I tell you the 6 speed was the way to go.

I have to agree the SGT looks like it will always be the more rair of the 2 due to the low production of the car. I currently drive an 06 Chevy Silverado SS and understand owning something you don't see all the time. I too at the cruise nights get alot of questions about the truck thats why I will keep the truck and hopefully when I get home from Iraq also be a proud owner of a SGT.

SGT is still better looking :slapfight: And i doubt the 4.6 engines will blow after 25,000 miles, 4.6's have been s/c'd to death for a long time, and if one did grenade then the owner would do the upgrade to the bottom end logically at that time and you'd still spend less money. :jackinbox: Oh yeah the sgt is lighter and looks better too... :hysterical:

Now, now boys...we should not be bashing each others Shelbys...bad, bad.... :finger:

Sounds like you found a winner in the SGT. I have been looking around and there are 2 Blue ones at the local Ford dealer down the road from my place. They are both manuals and to me thats the only way a true muscle car should be. I have owned 2 Trans Ams,96 with the 6 speed and a 2000 WS-6 Auto and I tell you the 6 speed was the way to go.

I have to agree the SGT looks like it will always be the more rair of the 2 due to the low production of the car. I currently drive an 06 Chevy Silverado SS and understand owning something you don't see all the time. I too at the cruise nights get alot of questions about the truck thats why I will keep the truck and hopefully when I get home from Iraq also be a proud owner of a SGT.

And, they are forgetting to tell you, this car has great balance on the road. The weight distribution is great, and the short throw shifter feels perfect. I don't own one, but I have driven more than a few.

Also, I had a Trans-Am myself. This car has much greater balance and is significantly more composed than the T/A. Not that the T/A was not fun. It was.

But the S-GT is more prescise in the curves....very well composed over uneven pavement.

AND, if you ever decide that you want to step it up a notch, you can upgrade to a Shelby S/C and the car gets ....scary-fast. I drove in one of those, too. Extremely fast and still light on its feet. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Just my 2 cents ;)

Chris

The Shelby GT is a fantastic car, as are the GT500 and the new Bullitt.

You can't go wrong with any of them, IMO. :)

I just don't care that much for the Bullitt. Looks way to boring for me. Yes they are a great sleeper but just way to boring for my taste. The GT500 is a bit out of my price range and I love the look of the SGT.

The Shelby GT is a GREAT car for handling right out of the box.Having owned an 07' Shelby GT,An 08 Bullitt and now an 08 GT500,I can honestly say that the Shelby GT had the best handling of the bunch.The bullitt handles well and is more suited to McQueen fans on the understated looks.If you want to turn up the blower and go pretty fast the GT500 is the hands down winner there.As far as my favorite as I was actually asked this the other night,That includes My 05' GTO's,An 07' Vette 6 speed and an 07' Grabber Orange Mustang GT.It is a toss up between the GT500(Powah!),And the Shelby GT.I honestly said I would have bought another Shelby GT thanks to the increase in fuel mileage but it seems that there are some issues that would drive me insane on all of the ones I saw after mine,Which had a damn nice scoop and stripes was gone.If you like to hit the twisties the Shelby GT cannot be beat.That has been proven.Besides if you think the quick resale on a Shelby GT tanks,Go and see what used Saleens and Rousch cars bring,OUCH!

The Shelby GT is a GREAT car for handling right out of the box.Having owned an 07' Shelby GT,An 08 Bullitt and now an 08 GT500,I can honestly say that the Shelby GT had the best handling of the bunch.The bullitt handles well and is more suited to McQueen fans on the understated looks.If you want to turn up the blower and go pretty fast the GT500 is the hands down winner there.As far as my favorite as I was actually asked this the other night,That includes My 05' GTO's,An 07' Vette 6 speed and an 07' Grabber Orange Mustang GT.It is a toss up between the GT500(Powah!),And the Shelby GT.I honestly said I would have bought another Shelby GT thanks to the increase in fuel mileage but it seems that there are some issues that would drive me insane on all of the ones I saw after mine,Which had a damn nice scoop and stripes was gone.If you like to hit the twisties the Shelby GT cannot be beat.That has been proven.Besides if you think the quick resale on a Shelby GT tanks,Go and see what used Saleens and Rousch cars bring,OUCH!

'07 SHELBY GT,

We must be long-lost brothers. :)

I, too, have owned a 2008 Shelby GT500, a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and a 2007 Shelby GT. However, I traded the GT500 after buying the Bullitt. I found that I preferred driving the Bullitt, more than the GT500, and the GT500 still had excellent trade-in value. So, I decided to trade it, while demand is still high. I traded it for a 2008 F150 FX2 Sport truck.

Recently, I decided I wanted another Mustang for the times when I'm in more of a bling mode, than my usual Bullitt stealth mode.

I considered another GT500, now that prices are lower; but, when I found a brand new 2007 SGT, at a great price, I bought it. All I can say is WOW!!!

As a former Saleen owner, I second your experience. Depreciation on Saleens is staggering. :(. Plus, I think Shelby " quality " and " heritage " are both superior.

From 1 USAFer to another (also was stationed in SATX 03-06 and also currently in Iraq): I just like the SGT concept. Take a Mustang GT and turn it into a Shelby...just like they did back in 65-66 with the original GT 350. GT 500 is an awesome car with its SVT roots. In my mind, it's more inline with the the 68-70 era Shelbys.

For me it just came down to, "I just got to have one". Pure emotion, nothing else.

It was simple for me..........my SGT is my daily driver vehicle, which isn't much of a commute doing it the way I do, but with gas prices/high insurance premium and the high retail of the GT500, the SGT was the way to go with no doubt in my mind. I considered a GT500 several times and could have got one for a little more than I paid for my SGT, but it isn't worth it in my case. I already have one SCed vehicle (X-5) and the maintenance on that alone is enough to keep me busy to no end. I traded in a 2008 Mustang GT on my 2007 SGT, for the difference in the price I couldn't do what Shelby had done myself to make the GT even comparable. It was a win-win for me all the way around.

Plus you guys don't me.........boost will get me in trouble pretty quick.....I always seem to find a way to make something grenade.... :lol:

... Take a Mustang GT and turn it into a Shelby...just like they did back in 65-66 with the original GT 350. GT 500 is an awesome car with its SVT roots. In my mind, it's more inline with the the 68-70 era Shelbys.

For me it just came down to, "I just got to have one". Pure emotion, nothing else.

This captures exactly why I bit the hook, exactly, to the last detail. Today's SGT of course has its roots in the Hertz GT-H but it's still all about "the roots".

Archived