TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Overspray?

2006GT500

Has anyone noticed overspray or poor paint quality on the front bumper of their car? I washed and clay barred my car prior to the Mid America show and noticed what appeared like white specs near my turn signals, however there's no bumps and it appears as if though they are under the clearcoat. My Ford service guy said that it is something that could be handled under warranty, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Has anyone noticed overspray or poor paint quality on the front bumper of their car? I washed and clay barred my car prior to the Mid America show and noticed what appeared like white specs near my turn signals, however there's no bumps and it appears as if though they are under the clearcoat. My Ford service guy said that it is something that could be handled under warranty, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I have a 2008 Alloy GT500, and do not have your specific problem, but have noticed a couple of paint flaws myself. The Stripes are very straight, but even they have an occasional bubble in them. Overall, I was hoping for No visibile flaws with my car, but that is not what I got. I still love the car though.

So, is your issue, like mine, warrantable? Yes

Is it worth gambling with a body shop to repaint and fix factory flaws? That is up to you. I figured that since mine are so minor, and that you REALLY have to look up close to notice what I described, then I'm just going to let it be.

Remember...factory flaws NEVER hurt the value of a car, but a flaw caused by someone else will. :banghead:

My main issue is that my car is black though and it looks like dirt or dust is on the bumper permanently. I do understand your very valid points. I just hare knowing that I paid a premium for a car with a sub par paint job and don't feel like I want to live with that.

My main issue is that my car is black though and it looks like dirt or dust is on the bumper permanently. I do understand your very valid points. I just hare knowing that I paid a premium for a car with a sub par paint job and don't feel like I want to live with that.

....and therein lies the problem. I completely agree with you. So much attention has been put on this particular vehicle, that you hoped after seeing tons of regular Mustangs and Mustang GTs on dealer lots without flaws that your car would follow suit...the ironic thing is that the few flaws I have found on my car are only on Shelby-specific pieces........something tells me that there is a tremendous push at these plants to get these cars out ASAP. I just wish there were not entire threads already dedicated to engine tick, paint flaws, rusty differentials, etc. I too was hoping for a near-perfect car, at least as far as paint/tape stripe blemishes go. This is 2008 after all, not 1978.

So, I guess taking my initial reponse a step further, I would suggest this. If you are OK with having the front bumper repainted, then do it. If you are going to go that far, find EVERY paint blemish in the stripes, panels, etc, and have them fix it at one time. Also, choose the bodyshop that is going to do your work. If the dealership gives you trouble, talk to a warranty rep. One way or another, you DESERVE to get your car looking the way you want it.....

If the front bumper is the only place you see blemishes, make the bodyshop take it off the car to be fixed. You will run a lot less risk of overspray that way.

It seems that the more special something is...the higher the worry/stress it can be. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Sudguy4

My car is black as well. Overall the paint looks good, more some as a standard factory paint job. I to also have a few small spots, under the clear coat, that "I" notice. However, I firmly believe (and confirmed with the factory paint guy) that more damage will more than likely occur if you try to "fix" it. Bottom line, if only "you" can see it, I would let it go and deal with the paint as is. You have to figure, dream as we will, there are NO flawless paint jobs that come out of a factory! Just levels of owner acceptance.... And in the end, you will go through all that and get your first door ding, and it is down hill after that. So unless you are a garage keeping, bubble car owner... I suggest let it go! Good luck!

I am horrible about this type of obsession! I restore cars as a hobby, so I know what it takes to get things right, sometimes the most difficult procedure turns out perfect the first time, and sometimes the most simple little procedure takes 5 times!! :banghead:

But, I have the luxury of doing it until it is perfect, and sometimes, that is no easy task. I am restoring a 70 GT500 Convertible, "Black" of course! I had to redo one of the front fenders 5 or 6 times! What a nightmare!!! One time it would be perfect and then on the last coat of clear, I get dirt, or a sag, or some contamination in the paint. It is not the "Surgery, Clean Room" environment!

I also finally got an 08 M3 coupe I have been waiting months for, again "Black". I always swear I will never own another Black car and now look where I am! The car is completely flawless, trouble free, defect free, and engineering Masterpiece, as long as you don't mind "Orange Peel" I was prepared from some of the Forum post's and pictures, but man was I *&^#%&@'ed off when it arrived. It was like walking to the Alter to marry Jessica Alba, and after you say "I do" you realize you just married "Ellen" (Houston, we have a slight problem)

I am not bashing anything, but I just think the buying public that is paying $50k+ for a car, deserves better quality, even though it is a mass produced, production line product!

What is funny, is to look at a Ferrari, or Aston Martin, from top to bottom, amazing fit, finish and quality everywhere! And who owns Aston Martin? You would never see these types of flaws on cars like that! And, from what I have seen, the people purchasing those cars are using the same ratio of "Discretionary Income" as someone who buys a GT500, or Kia for that matter! (OK, maybe not exactly, but you get the point)

I just feel for people who have to deal with these types of problems on their new "Baby" it ruins the whole experience!!!! And I have heard it what seems like 100 times from the Dealer's Service people "It's just a car" :censored::slapfight::redcard::rant2: Who hires these people!!!!

My car is black as well. Overall the paint looks good, more some as a standard factory paint job. I to also have a few small spots, under the clear coat, that "I" notice. However, I firmly believe (and confirmed with the factory paint guy) that more damage will more than likely occur if you try to "fix" it. Bottom line, if only "you" can see it, I would let it go and deal with the paint as is. You have to figure, dream as we will, there are NO flawless paint jobs that come out of a factory! Just levels of owner acceptance.... And in the end, you will go through all that and get your first door ding, and it is down hill after that. So unless you are a garage keeping, bubble car owner... I suggest let it go! Good luck!

Couldn't agree more! The problem is you know where there flaw is so every time you look at the car your eyes go straight to it and it does stick out like a sore thumb! I painted a car for a guy, when all was said and done it had three hickies in the finish. Told him about it, told him when he finds them I will fix them. Little over 12 years ago and I haven't had his truck back in my place. Ya, I see him on a regular basis, cruise ins, car shows and the like, and he still ask where the other two are as he found one. It was the wing off a gnat that I couldn't get out with the rest of the stupid thing.

I think the paint on these cars is far superior to the 04 and earlier runs. Mine has no detectable flaws at this time but it has yet to have it's first clay bar treatment and subsequant close inspection of all areas.

I think the paint on these cars is far superior to the 04 and earlier runs.

could the paint be hard enough not to flex with the body and cause stress crack....like on the lower lip of front bumper....

DSCF0064.jpg

I still cannot figure out how this one happened.

I've got a chunk of factory cr*p in my paint and a single, tiny scratch. They are so small, the only reason I found them is because of my OCD cleaning habits. Am I going to get them fixed? Hell no, I'm not letting my dealer or any shop touch my car for something that minor. I'd rather have the defects than trust anyone with my baby..... I guess that makes me OCD with trust issues....I'm good with that...

I've got a chunk of factory cr*p in my paint and a single, tiny scratch. They are so small, the only reason I found them is because of my OCD cleaning habits. Am I going to get them fixed? Hell no, I'm not letting my dealer or any shop touch my car for something that minor. I'd rather have the defects than trust anyone with my baby..... I guess that makes me OCD with trust issues....I'm good with that...

I could not agree more Rarecat. Overall, the paint finish on my GT500 is excellent. Ironically, the only two flaws I have found in the paint are on Shelby-Specific parts....I wonder if when our parts are painted at the factory by the machine if some calibration is off. Of course, there are a few very small flaws in my tape stripe, but nothing that stands out unless you are practicing OCD habits.

Whether it's to comfort my soul, or how I really feel, I have begun to accept these items as little traits that make my car special....I'll never forget when I bought my 1996 Mustang GT convertible new how it had some obvious paint flaws in the quarter panels....as the years went by, a buddy backed into the side of it drunk (THANKS! :slapfight: ) and had to have that side repainted. When it came back from the bodyshop, it looked great, but the flaws were gone, and I missed them! I guess I had just gotten used it, and it just became part of the car......I think the longer I have the GT500, the less it will bother me. It's just my first new car in 11.5 years, and I'm just a little bonkers right now about the "newness". :hysterical:

Yeah, only I have silver overspray on the entire car, SGT black. I did not see it at time of purchase. I brought it home washed it and then when I put it in full sunlight noticed the overspray. It had overspray on all the hard plastic (mirrors, trim, ect.) The dealer replaced the hard plastic and wetsanded and buffed the finish. NOT Good! Full of scratches and swirl marks now. Service manager says they're done, that it is my fault for buying the car. I own 4 fords which three are mustangs. Probably going to have a sale soon! Can't believe a manufacturer can survive with this kind of customer service.

Yeah, only I have silver overspray on the entire car, SGT black. I did not see it at time of purchase. I brought it home washed it and then when I put it in full sunlight noticed the overspray. It had overspray on all the hard plastic (mirrors, trim, ect.) The dealer replaced the hard plastic and wetsanded and buffed the finish. NOT Good! Full of scratches and swirl marks now. Service manager says they're done, that it is my fault for buying the car. I own 4 fords which three are mustangs. Probably going to have a sale soon! Can't believe a manufacturer can survive with this kind of customer service.

That is a horrific experience to say the least. If you had posted that you had overspray on here before you took it to the dealership, I would have suggested these steps to help the problem (I detailed cars from 1992-2005):

1. Take a good clay bar to the entire painted surface. The clay bar would have worked most of the contaiminants out of the paint.

2. If there were still areas that felt ruff, take virgin laquer thinner with a terry cloth to the PAINTED surfaces only (no black plastic trim, just body panels/bumpers that had true paint on them). We used laquer thinner to get overspray, scuffs off bumpers, etc. It worked great. You can use it in conjuction with fine steel wool to get it off windows as well. AGAIN, DO NOT LET IT RUN ON ANY PLASTIC SURFACE.

3. Follow up with a nice carnuma blend wax, or in your case, a good hand glaze. Try taking a paint cleaning clay to your car, and see if you can get the swirls reduced. Follow up with Mequire's NO. 7 Hand Glaze....do alll this in the shade....

or...if you don't have the time, send it to me, and I'll be happy to help you out, for a small fee! :happy feet:

That is a horrific experience to say the least. If you had posted that you had overspray on here before you took it to the dealership, I would have suggested these steps to help the problem (I detailed cars from 1992-2005):

1. Take a good clay bar to the entire painted surface. The clay bar would have worked most of the contaiminants out of the paint.

2. If there were still areas that felt ruff, take virgin laquer thinner with a terry cloth to the PAINTED surfaces only (no black plastic trim, just body panels/bumpers that had true paint on them). We used laquer thinner to get overspray, scuffs off bumpers, etc. It worked great. You can use it in conjuction with fine steel wool to get it off windows as well. AGAIN, DO NOT LET IT RUN ON ANY PLASTIC SURFACE.

3. Follow up with a nice carnuma blend wax, or in your case, a good hand glaze. Try taking a paint cleaning clay to your car, and see if you can get the swirls reduced. Follow up with Mequire's NO. 7 Hand Glaze....do alll this in the shade....

or...if you don't have the time, send it to me, and I'll be happy to help you out, for a small fee! :happy feet:

Any suggestions now that I made the mistake of buying this car? I've used P21s carnauba wax and wolfgang sealant in the past, but how do I get rid of swirls and scratches without wet sanding and buffing? I don't know how thin the clearcoat is after the dealer wet sanded and buffed. This story is even worse than I described as two deep scatches were installed in the windows free of charge.

Any suggestions now that I made the mistake of buying this car? I've used P21s carnauba wax and wolfgang sealant in the past, but how do I get rid of swirls and scratches without wet sanding and buffing? I don't know how thin the clearcoat is after the dealer wet sanded and buffed. This story is even worse than I described as two deep scatches were installed in the windows free of charge.

1. Use a good clay bar to clean the paint (I've not come across a "bad" clay bar, so one from Mother's, Meguire's, etc) will do.

2. ONce you've done that, if there is STILL overspray, use that laquer thinner approach with with small terry cloth ONE SMALL SECTION AT A TIME. IT WILL SMEAR, BUT THAT IS NORMAL, IT IS NOT HURTING YOUR CAR. Just keep applying the laquer thinner to the rag and rubbing gently over the panels until smooth.

3. Give the car a quick bath to make sure you did not miss any parts.

4. Apply Meguire's NO. 7 Mirror Glaze Hand Glaze.

You're car should look dramatically better. If not, then I hate to say it, but your dealer has damaged the paint. As a detailer, my motto was to always start out with gentle products/procedures, resorting only to harsh alternatives if need be.

I would like you to send a picture of your car, PM if you don't want other's to see it, and I can give further advice if need be.

p.s. As far as the two scratches go, try rubbing in some toothpaste. I've read toothpaste will minimize scratches on windows. At least it won't hurt the paint!

Hope this helps!

Sudguy4

1. Use a good clay bar to clean the paint (I've not come across a "bad" clay bar, so one from Mother's, Meguire's, etc) will do.

2. ONce you've done that, if there is STILL overspray, use that laquer thinner approach with with small terry cloth ONE SMALL SECTION AT A TIME. IT WILL SMEAR, BUT THAT IS NORMAL, IT IS NOT HURTING YOUR CAR. Just keep applying the laquer thinner to the rag and rubbing gently over the panels until smooth.

3. Give the car a quick bath to make sure you did not miss any parts.

4. Apply Meguire's NO. 7 Mirror Glaze Hand Glaze.

You're car should look dramatically better. If not, then I hate to say it, but your dealer has damaged the paint. As a detailer, my motto was to always start out with gentle products/procedures, resorting only to harsh alternatives if need be.

I would like you to send a picture of your car, PM if you don't want other's to see it, and I can give further advice if need be.

p.s. As far as the two scratches go, try rubbing in some toothpaste. I've read toothpaste will minimize scratches on windows. At least it won't hurt the paint!

Hope this helps!

Sudguy4

Thanks for the reply and advice. The overspray is removed thanks to the dealership; however, this is what the car looks like now.

post-18572-1214161900.jpg

Thanks for the reply and advice. The overspray is removed thanks to the dealership; however, this is what the car looks like now.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to sound dramatic, but I can only imagine that your Shelby purchase experience

has been ruined. Apparently, they put some "kid" with little to no experience on the car because he had nothing to do, so they

gave him a "project". Trust me, I've worked at dealerships, and if this is how they handed your car back to you, then what they are

saying is that they could give a sh*t about your car, and whether you are happy about it or not because they just had to use their time and money, and not warranty money! :censored:

It looks like the sand paper/rubbing compound used on the car was too harsh......I'm not sure my Mequire's mirror Glaze will fix ALL of that damage, but you can give it a try.....

I know this has been horrible, have you thought about calling Ford Performance Group? They have been very helpful with all kinds of Shelby related items. ONe guy in particular said if I ever had any trouble with a dealership, that they would try to get an SVT rep involved with whatever the issue is.....

You may want to call, because I don't think you will ever be able to get the car looking like you want without a new paint job....who knows, maybe you will get a new one out of this, but Ford's warranty reps. have not been know to be "people pleasers" with these cars...seems like they look at us as just another Focus owner!

Here is the number to call.....1-800-367-3788 Ask for Jon Lences. He is super nice guy, and will help get you in a the right direction. You car should NOT have had overspray all over the car on it when you bought it....something HAPPENED to it along the way....wish you had pictures of it before they dealership messed with it.

At any rate, good luck with it.......IF NOTHING can be done from a warranty standpoint, and you decide to keep the car, consider finding a good body shop and see if there is anything they can aside from repainting the car. You may have to resort to a repaint if you keep it.

Sorry to see you have to deal with all this crap! :cry:

Archived