TEAM SHELBY FORUM

first Shelby and first try at a forum

Karen lou

This is my firt attempt to use a forum. I am now the proud owner of a 2008 Vista Blue with white strips Shelby GT500. This is also my first Ford muscle car. Always had Chevy. I have fell in love with my Shelby. I wanted to know who and how you order the production certificates you have been talking about. Also wanted to know what the proper break-in procedure is for my Shelby. Thank a lot. I have a lot to learn about Shelby!!!!!!

This is my firt attempt to use a forum. I am now the proud owner of a 2008 Vista Blue with white strips Shelby GT500. This is also my first Ford muscle car. Always had Chevy. I have fell in love with my Shelby. I wanted to know who and how you order the production certificates you have been talking about. Also wanted to know what the proper break-in procedure is for my Shelby. Thank a lot. I have a lot to learn about Shelby!!!!!!

Congratulations on the new Shelby - same color as mine by the way and welcome to the forum!

As far as the SVT certificate goes you'll have to call Ford Performance at 877-837-2582. However, since yours is a 2008, you'll probably have to wait until September when SVT compiles all the 2008 production numbers. I just purchased mine recently for my 2007. They cost $45. Have a CC and your VIN handy when you order.

All I did for break-in was to avoid driving at any one RPM for a long period for the first 100 miles or so. There are lots of opinions on this matter. Just do a search on "break" or "break-in".

Congratulations on the new Shelby - same color as mine by the way and welcome to the forum!

As far as the SVT certificate goes you'll have to call Ford Performance at 877-837-2582. However, since yours is a 2008, you'll probably have to wait until September when SVT compiles all the 2008 production numbers. I just purchased mine recently for my 2007. They cost $45. Have a CC and your VIN handy when you order.

All I did for break-in was to avoid driving at any one RPM for a long period for the first 100 miles or so. There are lots of opinions on this matter. Just do a search on "break" or "break-in".

Thank you. Here comes another silly question. What does CC stand for?

Welcome to the Shelby family! Proper break in procedure for a GT500 is to get that stock supercharger off asap and install a KB,Whipple, or Tvs and hit the track or the dyno immediately!

Just kidding of course! :)

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the fastest color! Everyone knows that Vista Blue is the fastest color around!

Break in is debatable. If you haven't discovered yet, the supercharger doesn't kick in until 100 miles. After that 100 miles (mine had 104 miles on both of them when I bought them) I started running them like I planned on driving them....FAST :superhero: I didn't do any seriously hard breaking until I had hit 300 miles on the brakes. At 600 miles I had it at the track and up to 148mph. The theory is that you need to drive it and heat the system up so that it gets "tempered". This is the one I follow and did this to both my cars.

Btw: You should join the Shelby Off Road Club as soon as you can :devil:

Welcome Karen! To answer your question about the break-in period, Ford Motor Company has pretty much taken care of the engine's break-in, but as far as the other drive line components are concerned, use moderation in the first 600 miles or so, and then drive the car as you wish after that.

It's very important that you take the time to read both the main owner's manual as well as the supplemental Shelby manual that accompanies it. There is alot of important information contained in those manuals that you, the owner should know about.

Right off the bat, the one drivabilty issue that you must be aware right away is that the front of the car is probably alot lower than any other car you have owned. For that reason, you should drive over severe dips in the road slowly and/or at an angle, and that also holds true for steep driveways, some of which you may have to approach at an angle too in order to avoid scraping the chin spoiler (the lowest part of the front end) and scratching it badly. Keep an eye on your stripes, meaning that don't let water spots develop on them or you will have a hard time getting them off.

You have just entered into a family of owners that are completely nutso about their cars, so don't be suprised if you have fellow owners honking and waving to you on the road. You should also learn as much as you can about the herratage of your car because you will be asked questions about it anytime you are standing next to it.

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome again to the wonderful world of Shelby ownership and Team Shelby. Oh, BTW I did not notice if your were a full Team Shelby member yet, but in case you aren't, but sure to make the $50.00 investment and join; because the benfits of being a member far outweighs the cost of membership.

"Hun", :hysterical:

Welcome to Team Shelby.

If your interested in getting a Signed Dash plaque with a Cert saying that Carroll signed it, you will need to order it thru this link:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...late%20kit.aspx

It comes with GT500 sill plates and looks like this:

(click on photo to enlarge)

th_DashPlaque026.jpg

th_DashPlaque021.jpg

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the fastest color! Everyone knows that Vista Blue is the fastest color around!

Break in is debatable. If you haven't discovered yet, the supercharger doesn't kick in until 100 miles. After that 100 miles (mine had 104 miles on both of them when I bought them) I started running them like I planned on driving them....FAST :superhero: I didn't do any seriously hard breaking until I had hit 300 miles on the brakes. At 600 miles I had it at the track and up to 148mph. The theory is that you need to drive it and heat the system up so that it gets "tempered". This is the one I follow and did this to both my cars.

Btw: You should join the Shelby Off Road Club as soon as you can :devil:

Thanks to all of you guys. Great Information. I'll try this again.

Welcome to the forums and to being a Shelby owner! These forums are a GREAT source of information, you will find many people here who are more than willing to help you with any questions you have. To answer one of your questions, I called SVT and they have stated that the 2008 build certificates will be available at the end of November, and they will be $45.00. As for the break in stuff, I have heard many people say many different things, but from what I have seen most drive it like they normally would, but are a little careful not to put it up to redline ;) I personally drove it like any other car for the first 600 miles, occasionally having some fun, and after 600 miles I started blowing doors off people.

Welcome! And you did pick the best color combination. :D

BTW - as far as the supercharger operation . . . the computer nanny, that keeps the wash boy at the dealership from boiling the tires off your new toy before you get it, will disengage after 50 start cycles or 5 miles of continuous (read no stops) operation.

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Shelby and this forum. As I am sure you can already see it is full of wonderful people that are only too willing to help at any time. :happy feet:

You have done well to choose the fastest colour and if only you had bought the car when Tungsten stripes were still available you could have been one of the "few". :drool: Oh well not your fault, it is no longer available.................

Now go drive it. :shift:

Karen Welcome & as they said you picked the fastest colour . Just watch out after your 10th post. As for break -in drive her at normal speeds for a week the odd time let her go for short time, after that DRIVE HER LIKE YOU STOLED IT

Break-in really depends on your driving skills, if this is your first FAST car i would take it easy @ first. By the time you get 600 miles on her you should both feel confident. Remember this car can get in trouble real fast. Enjoy but use a-lot of common sense !!

Archived