TEAM SHELBY FORUM

brakes

RUFDRAFT

I'm putting in some Hawk ceramic pads on the GT in a couple of weeks.

Hawk gives you their suggested protocol for bedding the pads in, but I thought someone might have learned a better way?

They recommend 6-10 moderate stops from 30-35 mph - then 2-3 hard stops from 40-45.

Thanks -

Ruf,

I've tried any number of bedding proceedures. Here's the one that I've had the most success with on "performance" pads:

Bring the pads up to operating temps buy approx. 5-6 stops from 35-10mph. Moderate pressure, normal stops.

Perform 4-5 stops from 50-25mph. Slightly heavier stops, but still in the moderate range. Cool brakes buy driving on freeway for a couple of miles.

Next, perform 3-6 stops from the highest speed at which you think you will be stopping from, usually 80 +/- mph, with HEAVY pressure. You should perform the stops until you can smell the brakes. Drive the car on the freeway for several miles to cool the brakes, using as little braking as possible. Park the car and allow brakes to return to ambient temps. If you plan on heavier braking, 100+ mph, than frepeat the warm-up and then perform the heavy stops from that speed and follow the cool-down.

WHEN STOPPING FOR THE COOL-DOWN TO AMBIENT, DO NOT SET THE PARKING BRAKE.

This can cause brake pad material transfer that will create a pulsation in the pedal.

You should NOT bed new pads with new rotors using this method.

The heavy/high-speed stops help to boil-off the binders and gasses that cause the pads to float at higher temps. Also, it helps to transfer the layer of friction material to the rotor without glazing the pads.

Good Luck

Next,

• 3 years later...

What type of brakes do you guys suggest for max stopping power? I race my daily driver on the weekends so the brakes are obviously worn down. But, I'm having an issue trying to determine what type to buy. I'm looking to buy a kit so I'll have bigger disks and the option to use the front grill to cool them. Any ideas I'll take. I've got a few months until the car will come out again, but I want to have them on ahead of time so as soon as the weather turns I'll be able to hit the track again.

What type of brakes do you guys suggest for max stopping power? I race my daily driver on the weekends so the brakes are obviously worn down. But, I'm having an issue trying to determine what type to buy. I'm looking to buy a kit so I'll have bigger disks and the option to use the front grill to cool them. Any ideas I'll take. I've got a few months until the car will come out again, but I want to have them on ahead of time so as soon as the weather turns I'll be able to hit the track again.

Wow this thread is ollllld! :hysterical:

Umm 14 inch 2 piece rotors, mintex pads, SS lines, GT500 take off calipers. I was going to suggest super blue brake fluid but yours is a DD. I would just find some performance brake fluid. Once I get my bills paid I'm going to start updating my brakes, but if I were you I would go with that combo.

DD? I'm sorry, but I'm sorta new to the braking system lingo. I'm only keepin the car in third gear red line on the back stretch. I want to find the balance between high performance and around town efficienty. If I buy high performance brakes won't that hinder my everyday stopping ability and vice versa?

Archived