TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake and Sound testing

Lutzcat

My 15 minutes of fame I guess was being a factory test rider for H-D during the 80s. I performed all the braking Federal 122s for the gov. Any H-D produced from from 83 to 90 something has my name as the rider for any bike built in that period on all test passing the bikes. During that time I did most of the sound test, (mufflers) too. I also did alot of EPA work on some. The reason I'm posting this is because of questions being asked about the sound of the GT 500. And anyother reasons of braking and mufflers dealing with gov. regs. Know they have changed, but pretty sure the proced. is the same.

Lutzcat

Guest evilchris

Cool, interesting that you were involved with that.

One good thing about the GT500 and all s197 for that matter is the sheer ease of swapping axlebacks. Keep your stockers for inspection =)

I have always wondered why Harley's etc are allowed to be 5,000,000 DB but cars have to be whisper quiet...

I have always wondered why Harley's etc are allowed to be 5,000,000 DB but cars have to be whisper quiet...

Good point, EC. I understand that the GT500 had to have quieter exhaust than the Mustang GT because the combination of exhaust and S/C whine on the GT500 pushed it over the gov't noise regs. On the other hand, a Harley that sounds like a 747 flying through my living room has no problem with gov't regs. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Good point, EC. I understand that the GT500 had to have quieter exhaust than the Mustang GT because the combination of exhaust and S/C whine on the GT500 pushed it over the gov't noise regs. On the other hand, a Harley that sounds like a 747 flying through my living room has no problem with gov't regs. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

or that you would get a ticket for a loud stereo in some places but yet you can hear annoying trucks on the highway 2 to 3 miles away

On the sound testing, the hardest part was passing them in the 30 to 60 mph area. Idling was no problem. We would use everything on the shelf and then use what ever they sent us to get that certain model to pass the test.

Lutzcat

so why can they pass "the test" and be so friken loud & and our Shelbys can't be anywhere near as loud?

One of the reasons I was the only person to do the brake testing on all models, I had the grove!, LOL . I passed everyone except for one, the one that did me in. No cartlidge in most my knees. Think they called it medical retirement. Anyway, anyone that thinks they are hot crap on a bike, you are until rehab in the HOSPITAL. On the mufflers, we took them to the limit, probably even cheated some. We were it, the

Feds relyed on us.

Lutzcat

One of the reasons I was the only person to do the brake testing on all models, I had the grove!, LOL . I passed everyone except for one, the one that did me in. No cartlidge in most my knees. Think they called it medical retirement. Anyway, anyone that thinks they are hot crap on a bike, you are until rehab in the HOSPITAL. On the mufflers, we took them to the limit, probably even cheated some. We were it, the

Feds relyed on us.

Lutzcat

Sounds like you took one for the Team. The H-D gods will always hold you in esteem

I quite riding them things 20 years ago after falling down, go boom on a warmed sporty I had. :cheerleader:

Guest evilchris

I can only guess it's the supercharger, remember it' the sounds from the whole car, not just from the exhaust!!

Lutzcat

I think it's different standards. harley's are louder than open exhaust V8's.

"loud" = test pass vs "less loud" = test failure? This does not make any sense.

Even with a SC at full roar, it is not anywhere near the DB/SPL of most Harleys that I have ever heard.

o

You have other factors also, tire noise, exhaust sounds, motor sounds, we even had to make sure the wind was not a factor.

Lutzcat

Archived