TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Fix - Painting Vinyl

I have had my new ('07) SGT for a couple of weeks now and love it. Now that I have done the initial upgrades (oil change, Seq lights, matching dead pedal, Passport 9500, billet hood pins, shortie ant) the spotted stripes really bother me. I have the brown water stains from the dealership lot. Has anyone tired taping off their stripes, papering off the bodywork and spraying their stripes with a duplicolor or similiar product paint specified for vinyl or plastics application? I sprayed a silver on some existing matt black Mach 1 vinyl decals and the painted adhered. It did not seem to soften the vinyl either. You do not need to saturate the stripes, just build up the surface with a little paint to cover the spot outlines. I sure SAI would give the paint code used for the hood scoop for a really good match.

I am supposed to go to the Ford dealer body shop manager Wednesday for him to get approval for a new stripe kit. I may try this at that time, then if it does not turn out well install the new kit, and if it does, save the new kit.

I can't imagine owning one of these cars for 11/2 years with this and the scoop problem. For a comany who's mantra is 'We've earned our stripes' this is really inexcusible. At 26 cars or so per day of production, they could have more cheaply had the paint stencils made and sprayed these stripes with far better results and 13-14,000 happier and possibly repeat - upgrade or trade-up customers!

Doug Nash

CSM# 07SGT5501

BTW - Bill Currie Ford in Tampa had three (now 2!) new black SGT's. Paid $34,900 with Nav. Greeat dealership to work with.

I am supposed to go to the Ford dealer body shop manager Wednesday for him to get approval for a new stripe kit. I may try this at that time, then if it does not turn out well install the new kit, and if it does, save the new kit.

If I were you, I'd go to the Ford dealer FIRST before doing ANYTHING to your stripes. You don't want to do something that will void the warranty. If Ford says they can't do anything, than try your idea. Just my opinion.

Archived