TEAM SHELBY FORUM

429SCJ Torino Found!

APPLESREDGT500

Well, a year or two ago I saw a Torino with a cardboard sign "for sale" in the window then it dissappeared so I thought it sold, well at the end of this winter it was sitting in the same lot tucked in the corner rusting away! :(:nonono: Well I checked it out and the floor and underside had a recient restoration and a roll cage bolted and welded back seats out and tubbed out all original markings on dash/doors outside with cobra stickers emblems etc. twist down hood pins and aftermarket hood scoop(massive) all on four flat tiires now with surface rust starting on the hood roof and trunk lid. A big dent in the pass. door and one on the driver rear quarter. The trunk lid looks like it will be the only part to be in really bad shape all along the back edge. The front bumper is perfect no rust and rear bumper has spots starting. The blosk is in a garage, not sure original yet don't know what markings for 429 block are? Anyone know anything about these? My Dad is the recipient of this car for Fathers day! I bought it for him since he owned one in 1970. A 429SCJ Cobra / Gold w/Black stripes and he ordered his without the hood scoop though and traded a 1967 390 fastback in for it.

Don't know if it helps or not, but I saw this car at the carsandcoffee show last Saturday in Irvine, CA You can go to thier .org site and see pics of every car that drove out of the show. :-)

IMGP1891.JPG

IMGP1891.JPG

Last one

Thanks for the reply. I knew from the first pic that was an earlier model. I was able to find the block stamping is for a 429ci (DIVE-A2B) on cylinder wall passenger side and the bell housing flange has a big backwards "c" then 3Y901112 for a serial# thats what I don't know about for sure as well as I still have to tow it from the lot it is in and couldn't make out the vin# plus it was abandoned to a guy that owns a storage unit. Apparently the owner owed him more than 10k in storage fees and left the car. This car is for sure a 70-71 429 cobra

Thanks for the reply. I knew from the first pic that was an earlier model. I was able to find the block stamping is for a 429ci (DIVE-A2B) on cylinder wall passenger side and the bell housing flange has a big backwards "c" then 3Y901112 for a serial# thats what I don't know about for sure as well as I still have to tow it from the lot it is in and couldn't make out the vin# plus it was abandoned to a guy that owns a storage unit. Apparently the owner owed him more than 10k in storage fees and left the car. This car is for sure a 70-71 429 cobra

D1 is a 71 block- try this site -http://www.torinocobra.com/main1.htm for more help

Casting Numbers

Crankshaft: 4U. Standard 429 crankshaft.

Crankshaft balancer: DOOE-6316-B. Standard 429.

Camshaft: BJB (SCJ only)

Heads: DOOE-R. CJ and SCJ. No execptions.

Intake manifold: DOOE-C. Holley flange. Cast iron.

Carburetor: D1ZF-YA or XA

Distributor: D1OF-NA or MA

We maintain an extensive Ford microfilm library, so if you need something, let me know.

Hope this helps

Archived