TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changed my oil for the first time today..............

I did my first oil change today, used Ford Filter and Oil (5w20 Blend) from Walmart. Pulled it up on the ramps no problem with a couple 3 foot lengths of 2X12's in front of the wramps I had no rubbing. Got under the car and was happy, it looked like it would be one of the easiest cars I have done. Took the oil cap off and let it drain for a little while. Put it back on and attempted to take off the Oil Filter :banghead::banghead::banghead: , this thing was tight as sh!t. I tried everything and then went to my last resort (Not the first time I had to do this), I got a long srew-driver and punched it through the entire filter. After all the oil drained I went at it again, the filter started to rip, this is a first for me. I finally got it to budge, I had to repeat the srew-driver through the filter 3 times before I was able to budge it by hand. Well, it is done now and next time will be much easier. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Anyone else run into this problem with the filter???

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one! I think they had a gorilla tighten those rascals on at the Ford factory (or SAI)!! I ended up with a large pair of Chan-L-Locks - crushed the filter, but was successful in removing it!

Reminder to everyone - hand tightening is all you need!! No need to torque it to 100 foot pounds!!

SEF

AKA:

Yup, I have been hand tightening my filters for 18 years and it has worked like a charm. A little extra grunt and they come right off, no filter wrench needed. That is why I hate going to the dealer or a local place to get it done, they jack the crap out of it.

Yeah, when I had my oil changed at the dealer, I was watching the young man under the car trying to get the old filter off...he too had to use a screwdriver and channel locks to get the original filter off...He was beginning to wonder if it was going to come off too...

Years ago I gook a Corvette in to have the oil changed and they were unable to get the filter off, they drove a screw driver through the filter and still couldn't get it off, they ended up pealing the skin off of the filter and luckily on the inside it was a hex nut that they could use a wrench on. I thought it was $12.00 really well spend lol

The same gorilla put on my OEM oil filter. I always advise folks to get a pair of those plier type oil filter wrenches - and use two hands to get the OEM filter off. It will crush the filter case but it will work. Some dealers will crank the oil filters on tight as well - that's why I always change my own oil - in all my cars.

I always rub some fresh oil on the gasket with my finger and then tighten it an additional 3/4 turn after it makes contact -- always comes off nice and easy that way.

I'd wouldn't be surprised if they install them 'dry' at the factory and the heat bakes the gasket on -- dunno :shrug:

I did my first oil change today, used Ford Filter and Oil (5w20 Blend) from Walmart. Pulled it up on the ramps no problem with a couple 3 foot lengths of 2X12's in front of the wramps I had no rubbing. Got under the car and was happy, it looked like it would be one of the easiest cars I have done. Took the oil cap off and let it drain for a little while. Put it back on and attempted to take off the Oil Filter :banghead::banghead::banghead: , this thing was tight as sh!t. I tried everything and then went to my last resort (Not the first time I had to do this), I got a long srew-driver and punched it through the entire filter. After all the oil drained I went at it again, the filter started to rip, this is a first for me. I finally got it to budge, I had to repeat the srew-driver through the filter 3 times before I was able to budge it by hand. Well, it is done now and next time will be much easier. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Anyone else run into this problem with the filter???

My filter was definitely on way tighter than it should be, however I was able to get it off with a regular oil filter wrench (the kind with the metal band).

Needless to say I didn't screw the new filter on that tight!

I am approaching my first oil change. You have convenced me to take it to the dealer and let them jack around with a potential overtighted filter. I know the dealership very well and get to select who works on my SGT. I have already had this discussion with them.

Boy is he going to be *#!! at me when he is done. Not really, he loves this car also and will treat it with great care. I am sure he will put the filter on correctly.

I am approaching my first oil change. You have convenced me to take it to the dealer and let them jack around with a potential overtighted filter. I know the dealership very well and get to select who works on my SGT. I have already had this discussion with them.

Boy is he going to be *#!! at me when he is done. Not really, he loves this car also and will treat it with great care. I am sure he will put the filter on correctly.

It's really not all that tough to remove if you have the proper tools (i.e. a good oil filter wrench). I am sure the dealer techs are very familiar with removing those OEM installed filters that are cranked on tight from the factory. The dealers do the same thing when they install the filters - had that happen when a Honda dealer changed the oil in my Accord. Could not get the filter off until I got one of those plier type filter wrenches. You can grasp them with two hands and get good leverage. Harbor Freight has a good one for less then $5 when on sale.

Archived