TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Billet Hood Pin Conversion

I see many of the members indicating they have the Billet Hood Pins. Some have done hood changes which makes Bud's (SAI) reply that he Mod shop has always done it to a new hood.

Sure would like comments from anyone that replaced their flat exterior plates for the Billet on the original hood. SPP suggested that I would have to move the hole rearward to keep the plate aligned with the pin. My thought is you need only the screws through the thicker plate and possibly a long pin if the old cannot be adjusted for pin insertion on a thicker plate.

I know some one has to have done this or there is an old topic covering this. Appreciate any feedback.

Tom

I see many of the members indicating they have the Billet Hood Pins. Some have done hood changes which makes Bud's (SAI) reply that he Mod shop has always done it to a new hood.

Sure would like comments from anyone that replaced their flat exterior plates for the Billet on the original hood. SPP suggested that I would have to move the hole rearward to keep the plate aligned with the pin. My thought is you need only the screws through the thicker plate and possibly a long pin if the old cannot be adjusted for pin insertion on a thicker plate.

I know some one has to have done this or there is an old topic covering this. Appreciate any feedback.

Tom

Tom-

There have been a couple threads about this in the past. I have done the switch and highly suggest you do a search and read through the experiences of others to help you along the way. From the threads it became obvious to me that every car required a little different process to complete the switch.

The first suggestion I have for you is to take your time! Suggestion two try it with the original brackets first, the directions state to use the new brackets, but my pins would not line up with the new brackets (I spent almost 2 hrs trying to line up with the new brackets, gave up and was going to put original pins back on when I decided to try the old brackets with the new pins. Took less than 15 minutes to line them up perfectly). Suggestion three-take a dremel to the holes (from the bottom in case you slip, then you only scratch the underside of the hood) to smooth the holes-you may have to do again later to reshape them. Suggestion four- if you need to slightly bend the brackets for alignment, a box end wrench over the top nut works very well to give you the leverage to tweak the bracket. Suggestion four-make sure the pins align properly before screwing down the billet plates, otherwise when you pop the hood it will torque it. Suggestion five-be prepared to raise and lower your hood MANY times to test the fit. It was a tedious process, but well worth the effort once completed. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I can try to answer for you.

God luck-Larry

Tom

My son and I replaced the flat plates with the Billet ones and put them in the exact holes, we were not excited about drilling new holes into the hood. (We had to clean metal shavings from off of the hood from the original install.) The pin will not fit through the hole anymore because of the thickness of the plate and the angle of the pin. First we adjusted the height of the pin making it longer. then we slowly bent the pin bracket numerous times shutting the hood carefully and then back up and adjust again. Still not perfect so we took the brackets off and rounded out the holes to give us some play and a little bit of adjustment. This took us about an hour but we finally got it.

Have fun and be patient.

Andrew

My son and I replaced the flat plates with the Billet ones and put them in the exact holes, we were not excited about drilling new holes into the hood. (We had to clean metal shavings from off of the hood from the original install.) The pin will not fit through the hole anymore because of the thickness of the plate and the angle of the pin. First we adjusted the height of the pin making it longer. then we slowly bent the pin bracket numerous times shutting the hood carefully and then back up and adjust again. Still not perfect so we took the brackets off and rounded out the holes to give us some play and a little bit of adjustment. This took us about an hour but we finally got it.

Have fun and be patient.

Andrew

Andrew,

Are the pins themselves the same as the original issue, or are the plates the only thing that have changed?

See the attached pic', you'll know why I'm looking for new pins...

Jer

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

Andrew,

Are the pins themselves the same as the original issue, or are the plates the only thing that have changed?

Jer

post-12143-1213596213.jpg

The new pins are billet so they won't rust.

Man-oh-man, I'm not pleased to be reading some of the stuff in this thread. I just ordered my Shelby billet hood pins last week, and it's looks like the install is going to be a PITA. (Shrug) What are ya gonna do...

Andrew,

Jer

IMG_0994.JPG

Jer

We used the original pins and bracket that came on the car, we have not seen any rust. Obviously we saved the new pins and bracket

And only changed the plates

Andrew

DrkSGT - This is my first post. I have been using the forum as a source to better directions for putting in Seq lights, dead pedal, etc. and these pins. I purchased a new (left over '07 SGT) a couple of weeks ago. The hood pins had been damaged at the dealer from popping the hood with the pins in - dented scratch plates plus the pin rust issue. I did the billet hood pins Saturday for two reasons; the billet plates sit higher, reducing the chance of scratching the hood by mistake. Plus the pin sits in a groove so it does not move. Secondly, being all billet it will stop the corrosion issues you will see when you take off the flate plates. Aluminium like our hoods doesn't really like other metals.

It took about four hours to do carefully and alone (MANY hood openings). I used the stock post brackets and the new billet posts, plates, pins, etc. All you have to do is elongate the hood holes with a dremel to be a little longer towards the front of the hood, then bend the post plates down a little (did this by hand). This gives a little more room for the longer length of post you will need extending through the hood for the thicker billet plates. Before going any further I primed and painted (with Qtips) the exposed aluminum from the holes for the posts. The last thing I did was install the plates. The new screws are the exact same length and diameter as the flat plates and tightened down fine. I took the landyards off to avoid hood scuffing. I push down the hood on the plate with just a finger, put in the pin and lighten up. They stay exactly where you put them, look great and do not move at all.

NOT HARD - just time consuming with up and down with the hood, being careful, etc. It looks great - plus I have the dealer getting me a stock replacement set to keep for the car's originality. Good luck.

Doug Nash

CSM 07SGT5501

Larry,

I did do some looking and did find another thread but, description was lacking. Yours sounds more like me when it comes to adapting something.

Doug - Andrew,

Appreciate details from both of you. I do not have rust on the pins or the bottom hole of the hood sheet metal. I am sure that I will find a suprise when I get the plates off. Will wait till I get some primer and paint to treat the raw metal edges. Son in Law is getting the paint this week.

To All,

Thanks for the postings. I will keep monitoring to see what other tricks come up.

Really do enjoy this forum and willingness of every one to share ideas. Lose too many hours of sleep due to doing reviwing late and I get HOOOKED.

Tomorrow will be the Faux Gas Cap that came today. It looks simple.

Tom

Archived