TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What the ^%&@^(&)* with the TPMS?

drswiger

Ok, so I am driving yesterday on the interstate doing about 90 for half an hour. Then, a beep and message comes up....TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT. I reset and it goes away bit th little symbol still flashes. Then abot 20 min. latter, TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT.

I pull off the hwy. to get some gas, and the message and flashing go away.

Back on the interstate, about 90 mph,....TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT.

Now that I am home and just doing in town driving, no high speed, there is no problem.

Can someone tell me what is going on?

There have been a few defective sensors. I assume that you checked the pressure of the tires to make sure one is not low. Ford dealer can debug it.

Yes - check your pressure to be sure they are all at 32PSI cold. Some folks make the mistake of filling tires to the max PSI noted on a given tire. That is not the correct tire pressure to use for a car. Use the psi indicated on your door jam - 32 PSI for the stock GT500 tires. Your tires will wear better as well.

If you still have a problem, go to Ford and have them reset the TPMS. Even better - buy the tool for yourself so you can reset when rotating tires. Find them on ebay for $20.

Yes - check your pressure to be sure they are all at 32PSI cold. Some folks make the mistake of filling tires to the max PSI noted on a given tire. That is not the correct tire pressure to use for a car. Use the psi indicated on your door jam - 32 PSI for the stock GT500 tires. Your tires will wear better as well.

My label says 35 PSI front and rear.

Yes I'm sure - just checked.

That's interesting - the first I've ever heard that. Do you have Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires? Do you have an 07 or 08 GT500? What elevation are you at?

You're looking at the door jam label - not the side of the tire, correct?

That's interesting - the first I've ever heard that. Do you have Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires? Do you have an 07 or 08 GT500? What elevation are you at?

You're looking at the door jam label - not the side of the tire, correct?

Yes I have the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. They are rated max 44 PSI. I have a 2007 GT500. GPS shows 1429 FT elevation.

Here's a photo of my door jam label.

post-9625-1213549094.jpg

post-9625-1213549094.jpg

Yes I have the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. They are rated max 44 PSI. I have a 2007 GT500. GPS shows 1429 FT elevation.

Here's a photo of my door jam label.

How about that. I'm guessing region and/or elevation matters. Higher elevations where the air is lense dense may require a higher recommended PSI. Or maybe it's the average ambient temperature for the region? Can others chime in? Who's in the Denver area? RPRETZEL?

My max rated pressure is 44psi, but the door sticker says 32psi.

My red/wht 2008 coupe says 35 psi........my wht/red 2008 vert says 32 psi.....same identical tires. I use 35 psi.......3 psi is not much to be concerned with.

That makes sense. The vert weighs about 130 lbs more. The 3 lbs made a difference in my first set of rears. Only got 12k miles out of them. Lots of burnouts, sure, but they wore out more quickly in the middle.

I believe the conclusion is this for the stock tires - regardless of altitude:

Coupe = 35 PSI

Convertible = 32 PSI

Yes that is the correct factory specs for the Gt500

I know we have hijacked the hell out of this,Why would a heavier car get less pressure to start with?Does the extra weight cause the pressure to rise more as it is driven?

Verts have a softer ride, thus lower tire psi and they use stock Gt sway bars, coupes have larger bars and higher tire psi.

Yes that is the correct factory specs for the Gt500

Verts have a softer ride, thus lower tire psi and they use stock Gt sway bars, coupes have larger bars and higher tire psi.

Thanks for the reply. I will double check the pressures.

Say what????? This the 1st I have heard that...! Why would they put a smaller diam bar on a heavier car? That makes absolutely no sense!

Do you have the O.D. of each bar to compare this? Is this the same front & back? Or just front?

Say what????? This the 1st I have heard that...! Why would they put a smaller diam bar on a heavier car? That makes absolutely no sense!

Do you have the O.D. of each bar to compare this? Is this the same front & back? Or just front?

He's right about the sway bars being smaller on verts. The coupe is tighter with the bigger bars. I'm not sure that both are stock GT bars - I think just the rear is. The front is still smaller, but not stock GT.

He's right about the sway bars being smaller on verts. The coupe is tighter with the bigger bars. I'm not sure that both are stock GT bars - I think just the rear is. The front is still smaller, but not stock GT.

Damn! :banghead: Guess we gotz' to fix that!

Makes me glad I'm Supersnaking the Vert. The Eibach suspension should fix most of the problems. If not, I'll be doing some work to it afterwards. I'm taking both cars to the track, so suspension is kinda important to me.

Makes me glad I'm Supersnaking the Vert. The Eibach suspension should fix most of the problems. If not, I'll be doing some work to it afterwards. I'm taking both cars to the track, so suspension is kinda important to me.

Yep - the Eibach kits on the 40th or SS fixes that. Tighter than stock.

I believe the conclusion is this for the stock tires - regardless of altitude:

Coupe = 35 PSI

Convertible = 32 PSI

Hate to throw a wrinkle in this; but my '08 convertible has 35 PSI on the door jamb sticker. Also, just because the sticker states a certain PSI, that doesn't neccessarily mean that's the best PSI to run with. Running a higher PSI will make for a stiffer sidewall and better handling with a tradeoff in ride and comfort. On the older 5.0 Litre Mustangs (I'm dating myself here!), you dropped the air pressure in the rear to increase traction off the line and ran the fronts at max PSI for less resistance when at the track. With this being said, I do alot of highway driving and have mine set at 36 PSI.

I underestood that the vert SS were getting the FRPP suspenssion. Eibach suspension is for the coupe SS. Am i wrong?

I underestood that the vert SS were getting the FRPP suspenssion. Eibach suspension is for the coupe SS. Am i wrong?

On the SS's, whether its a vert or a coupe, the customer has the choice of suspension they want. It doesn't matter if its a vert or not. :D

Bud

• 2 weeks later...

Um, BTT . . .

Mine has the same problem. It only goes into fault mode at highway speeds, and after a few miles. The dealer has already replaced one sensor, and it's started again. I have the transmitter, but have not had a chance to do the reprogram, yet.

Less than 10 miles after the first fault code showed up, we pulled into a Ford dealership and had the tires checked (didn't have a gauge with me). 35 PSI +/- 1/2, in all 4.

Archived