TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Year Mustang is the current body styled after?

SGT/SC#0471

I would go with 69-70. That is why so many make it look like a boss 302. SUDDEN

I think it is a mixture. The more rounded roof (bubble)says 65-66 to me, the fastback style is more 67ish, but I do see some traits of the 69-70.

Ok I hate to do this but you guys leave me no choice. :)

Look at the curve of the the driver's door window, the slope of the top rear of the trunk, towards the front, the roof line. Also you can't see it from this angle, but look at the blacked out area of the rear window of a 05-09. It's the same distinctive shape as the 65-66 rear window.

Sure the s197 has styling clues from other years. Ford has admitted that. But I would argue it has more cues from the 65-66 years. The beauty of this design is it allows you to go with a 69-70 Mach 1 theme or a 68 Bullitt. It's a flexible design.

post-14287-1213561508.jpg

post-14287-1213561508.jpg

Ok I hate to do this but you guys leave me no choice. :)

Look at the curve of the the driver's door window, the slope of the top rear of the trunk, towards the front, the roof line. Also you can't see it from this angle, but look at the blacked out area of the rear window of a 05-09. It's the same distinctive shape as the 65-66 rear window.

Sure the s197 has styling clues from other years. Ford has admitted that. But I would argue it has more cues from the 65-66 years. The beauty of this design is it allows you to go with a 69-70 Mach 1 theme or a 68 Bullitt. It's a flexible design.

Bingo! We have a winner! The GT350 and GT are really close.

Who has this pair? They are obviously taken in front of the same wall.

While I agree with many that the S197 body style looks like it took styling cues from any and all of the 1965-1969's, if I had to pick just one model year as the closest resemblence, I would say 1968 fastback. Sure, it has cues from the other years, but when I look at my 07 GT I see a 1968 silhouette.

The SGT is obviously very closely designed after the 66 GT350. We knew this back in late 06 when the SGT was announced. Our Hood scoops that we all love so much (LOL) are directly from Cobras that were then applied to GT350's and now our SGT. the Side scoops (while a little different than the 66) are obviously design cues. Add delete of the spoiler, the silver billet grill, hood pins with lanyards, and the tri bar pony logo offset and there you go!

Like many people I just wish that a super charger had been part of the package and that the 350 name had gone along with it... But even so, I LOVE my SGT and I frankly believe that for those that don't understand the SGT, it's day WILL come and be seen as the legendary car that it already is!

It's the Ford designation code, but good question - does it represent anything of significance? 19(6)7?

GT500FLYBOY, I don't mean to break topic but that last picture of your 40th Anniversary GT500 is really sweet. Did you have that done professionally? It looks great and I would really like to have one done like that.

GT500FLYBOY, I don't mean to break topic but that last picture of your 40th Anniversary GT500 is really sweet. Did you have that done professionally? It looks great and I would really like to have one done like that.

That is pretty neat, huh? wish i could do that...

I have a 1970 mach 1 and park it side by side in the garage next to my GT500 . The front and rear end are very much like the 70 mach. The roof line is close but the rear windows are 66 Shelby all the way.Well thats what i see.

When I joined Teamshelby, I received that "yearbook" or what you want to call it with my membership package. I don't have it in front of me but I seem to remember reading that the SGT was mainly patterned after the 1967 model. I think it was in the article about how long the conversion takes from a premium Mustang GT to a truly awesome car.

Erik

Black 07 SGT # 2940

Where did "s197" number/name come from?

It's Ford's designation for the platform. The "S" stands for "Sporty", and the 197 is just this car's number in Ford's product cycle. Nothing more.

BTW, J Mays was the director of the 2005 Mustang 's styling, and he has answered this question before... he has said that the car is an amalgam of SEVERAL Mustang cues from different years (the angle of the nose is from the 69/70, the side window profile is from the 67/68 fastback, etc... He's also the guy behind the New Beetle, and New Retro seems to be his thing!

Jer

Archived