TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Limited Quantities?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My local dealer has NO info & claims we know more than they do about options & pricing before they do.

I don't doubt that. Dealers and their sales staff are too busy standing in front of their buildings smoking or hanging out in the break room drinking coffee. Doing some actual research might take away from that. Plus we are all glued to our computers and have no life other than to dig up the next late breaking news on the GT500 no matter how insignificant it may be.

On a side note, I stopped by a dealer yesterday and as I pulled up there was a couple of salesmen standing right next to the front door smoking. As I parked they both extinguished their smokes in the nasty, water and cigarette filled ashtray atop a commercial size/grade trashcan placed between the customer parking and the front door. As I walked up the salesman reached out to shake my hand and I just thought, " I don't want to shake some stinky ass smokers hand." As I shook his hand he says, "Hi, I'm Drew." Being polite, I state my name but before another word can come out of my mouth, the salesman says, "hold on I'll be right back, I'm kinda new here." Are you shittin me, what a puss of a salesman. This kid had no self-confidence or training to speak of. Well, when he finally got a crony to help him, I politely cornered him and asked how long he'd been at it, "two months." And how many cars have you sold, "two." All I could think about was, this is why people absolutely despise coming to car dealerships. This was the most pathetic display to make a good impression on a customer I’ve ever seen.

If first impressions are everything, why do dealerships allow salesman to smoke right where customers have their first interaction with the dealership? I find it totally unacceptable and disgusting.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Last time I spoke w/SVT (about 3 weeks ago), they indicated 7-10k units, so we should be all set, once the uproars die down. I fully intend to call them later this month to re-confirm. I just cannot stand getting porked by dealers & their hype, so I intend to know EXACTLY what's going on with production.

My understanding is also that if you order, order what you want (coupe/'vert). Generally, the split has been about 80/20 or 75/25 (historically, coupes/'verts), so I'm sure they have that in mind, production-wise.

So, Coldwaterhotrod, if you order, you should be fine. If you are going to try to locate, especially for this year, you might have a problem (I anticipate that all will sell out). I will update this thread after I re-confirm later this month.

I call my salesman and keep HIM informed. At the end of the day I always know more than they do, except what their bottom line price is going to be. In fairness, if a dealer is only getting a handful of these, his sales folks are unlikely ever to sell one, with the exception of probably one or two salesmen. Why waste time boning up on the details? Most people don't have the passion for these types of vehicles - or any vehicle for that matter. It's like buying a toaster to most. My wife thinks of her car (2001 V6 Mustang) as a life support system for her CD player. The engine is there to charge the battery so it the CD player keeps running! But as for manners and personal hygene, there's no excuse. I always deead walking into the dealer for any reason unless I already have a name of someone to talk to.

I've talked to SVT many times and they usually tell what they can and it's accurate. They know anything they say will show up here so they either tell it straight or say nothing. When last I asked about production numbers, they said 7500 - 9000, so the story's consistent. I still have trouble believing every one is spoken for. Now I don't doubt Ford will sell all they produce, but I have think that if 7500 - 9000 folks (well, make that 7000 - 8500 after the Powerlease and Ford set-asides are subtracted) willing to pay $5K over don't show up in the first couple of months, the dealers who ordered cars loaded up with extras on speculation may have to start thinking about cutting back on the ADM. Of course, the car might still be a lot more than you'd want. All the talk of markups could also push customers away.

All this is speculation, of course. They could all go in a flash of pent-up demand.

SVT says it will probably be February before pricing is released, so set the alarm clocks for early Feb. We all want the clocks to run quicker, but they won't. At least no one else is getting theirs either.

Crispy -

That's not exactly true, they do come out of a dealer's allocation. After the March 05 show, I was called by the salesman who'd already sold me two Cobras including the Powerlease 04. He said they were marking up theirs at least 5K. When I explained that the Powerlease cars did not count against his allocation, he said the manager was still going to mark it up. After some back and forth, I asked the salesman what they were going to do for a third time customer. He said 'If I were you, I'd shop around". I thought that was great advice. I did, and found a dealer who will deal because it's one more car he wouldn't sell otherwise - including X-plan. So you see, since I'll be going with the second dealer, my car did come out of the first dealer's allocation.

I've said it here before - do your homework everyone. And listen to folks on this board. The dealers usually know much less than we do because of our information-sharing. You're not going to make a dealer do something he's not willing to do, but you have good prospects of finding another who will treat you better.

The Powerlease thing has its goods and bads. I've got the GT500 if I want it, can sell the option if I don't want the car. But I started paying on the new car when the Powerlease started the way I look at it. And I ended up with an 04 that I really, really like, but I sold a paid-up 01 Cobra to get the Powerlease. So after all that, to have the original dealer jerk me around was pretty pathetic. So if you all start a delaer 'registry' of underachievers, I'll have a name for you. And if you want a list of reasonable dealers, I've got a name for that list too.

Last time I spoke w/SVT (about 3 weeks ago), they indicated 7-10k units, so we should be all set, once the uproars die down. I fully intend to call them later this month to re-confirm. I just cannot stand getting porked by dealers & their hype, so I intend to know EXACTLY what's going on with production.

My understanding is also that if you order, order what you want (coupe/'vert). Generally, the split has been about 80/20 or 75/25 (historically, coupes/'verts), so I'm sure they have that in mind, production-wise.

So, Coldwaterhotrod, if you order, you should be fine. If you are going to try to locate, especially for this year, you might have a problem (I anticipate that all will sell out). I will update this thread after I re-confirm later this month.

crispy23c,

Thanks for the input. I have another question?

My dealer said they are already a FORD FOCUS SVT Dealership & they don't have to resubmit to get one, two or three of these cars? Is this true? The last I knew, all FORD dealers had to resubmit & send people to training to keep their SVT status.

Cold -

FWIW, my dealer's salesman says it cost them about $10K to become a Focus SVT dealer. At the time they weren't sure it was worth it. SVT said most (my word) of the 'certification' could be done 'on-line'. My thought would be - how hard is it to send a 'certified' credit card number to pay the fee on-line? If 'certification' of a new dealer for sales of the GT500 (and follow-ons) costs that kind of money, you can bet they aren't going to eat it to make us smile with a low price. Once recouped on the first few cars, the dealer might be more inclined to lower the price on later sales. Another reason to exercise patience (says Mr. Impatience).

Hi guys, I've been away awhile, but knew with the NAIAS intro it would be time to get back to this forum. Just wanted to chime in on the SVT certification deal. I am one of three SVT-certified guys in our sales department, and we have one SVT-certified technician. We're a full-line SVT dealership and have been since the start in 1993. Most of the certification is done online, as already mentioned, with courses designed to teach about the product and the type of customers who buy the product. Some of the training is done via live satellite broadcasts from Ford. Also, I attended the latest SVT dealers meeting a couple years ago at a well-known racing school where we raced all the SVT products (and the competition) for several days. SVT only requires that a dealership have a few SVT-certified guys - these are the guys you should seek when you visit an SVT dealership. As I'm not a salesman at our dealership any longer (I host our websites now), I've assumed the role of SVT rep, as well, and ensuring that the other two SVT-certified guys stay trained and up-to-date.

Three Cobras brings up a great point about the cost of being an SVT dealership. The last year we actually had SVT's to sell (2004), we paid about a $12K fee to SVT to have the honors of selling their products that year. That's about what it had been in years prior, too. If we get charged the same amount for 2007 and only get 3 GT500's, we have to make $4K per car just to break even on the SVT fee. There is (at most) $3K in profit per car if we sell at MSRP, so we'd actually lose $1K per car if we sell at MSRP and get just 3 cars. Selling at MSRP and losing money just isn't going to set well with most dealers. Now, dealers that get more allocation will recoup their money faster, so maybe you all should shop the really big dealers in search of the best deal.

In the long run, I fully believe that SVT will build as many GT500's as demand warrants, but you may have to be very patient to get one. Even more patient to get one without ADM's. The first few thousand GT500's will likely sell to the rich guys that won't blink at ADM's, but us working class guys will eventually get a shot at owing one, too. Hang in their and be patient.

crispy23c, thanks for understanding the pricing pressures we face on SVT's. I'm sure that the vast majority of potential customers could really car less about what the dealer has to pay and do to be an SVT dealer, so again, thank you.

I believe in building long term relationships with customers by offering fair prices on everything. Exactly what constitutes a "fair" price on the few GT500's we should get this year has not been established here at our dealership yet. I work for my customers so I want to see prices as close to MSRP as possible, but at the same time, I work for the owner of our dealership so I understand that he deserves to make money on these cars. I know plenty of local dealers are telling customers to expect $10K to $20K over MSRP for the GT500's, so we will easily be the good guy in town by charging a much smaller ADM, but we still haven't decided what that ADM will be.

I have almost 70 names on our GT500 list and expect to get just 3-5 cars. How do I narrow down the list? Most of them tell me they'll do just about anything to secure a car. MSRP likely won't happen initially (maybe later in the model year, or next year, but not at first). Do I tack on a big ADM to make most of them mad, leaving just a handful of guys who don't care about price? Do I have a lottery drawing to make it totally random at a preset (and reasonable) ADM? Do I cater to my best repeat customers with first option to buy at a preset ADM? Do I just order cars for the store, and sell them once they arrive instead of trying to pre-sell ahead of time? I need suggestions. Many of us dealers want to do the right thing, but the right thing isn't always the same for us as it is for the customer. What's a happy medium?

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 11 2006, 12:17 PM) 2100[/snapback]

What's a happy medium?

Selling me a white/blue coupe at msrp to start ;).

Sounds like the dealers are either going to be making allot of people mad by charging ADM and loosing customers for life or they could do the right thing and look past the greed of green and make happy customers for life. I’ve been in sales for a long time and know that it costs 10x more money to get a paying customer to walk in the front door and write a check than it does to retain an existing customer.

Let’s just say your dealership ends up charging 10K ADM, the customers that get pissed off will tell 100 of their friends/family/co-workers about poor customer service. But if you charge MSRP, these satisfied customers will tell 10 family/friends/co-workers about good service. Would you rather have 100 people hearing about a poor or bad experience and those 100 people spreading the news? Or would you rather have 10 people hearing about a good experience and those 10 people spreading the news? In the long run, is it wiser to take care of an existing customer or pocket an additional 10K for the dealership owner and some instant gratification?

From a business standpoint, it sounds like SVT is putting dealerships and buyers between a rock and a hard place. You have a tough decision to make, but if it were me, I'd charge a small ADM, maybe 1K-2K for the first run of cars while giving the people on your list, starting with #1 and working down, first crack at a car.

I for one will not only be spreading the news of a good or bad experience to my friends/family/co-workers, but now with all the Mustang and SVT forums, I will tell others on these site about my experience, good or bad.

BTW everyone, Five Oh B and I are in the same metro area and I know of the dealership Five Oh B works at. My name has been on a list at another local dealer since March at #3. I’m only hoping this dealer is as conscious to the situation as Five Oh B is being. By asking for our input Five Oh B, you are already showing us good service. Thank you for asking for ideas from us. And you can sell me a car if you want, but only at MSRP or very close to B).

I know for a fact that if the going ADM in our area is $10K over MSRP, then our ADM will be much lower. While nobody wants to pay an ADM, we will still be the best deal around - even if we're over MSRP a bit - which we likely will be. We have always been the best value on SVT products in the area and have sold more than a few SVT's out of state (we're conveniently close to SeaTac Int'l Airport).

I gotta be honest with you guys and say how much I absolutely hate selling cars like the GT500. Yeah, they're cool and I want to own one, too, but it is so hard to figure out the right price to make both parties happy. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't (price them right, that is). And the customers that grind us the hardest who demand the best damn deal out there are the same customers who nitpick the car to pieces and want everything absolutely perfect (good luck finding perfection on a mass-produced car). That same customer will also complain to Ford heavily in the survey they get from Ford. To tell you the truth, that's the last customer I'm going to offer a GT500 to when it's time to decide who gets them.

Here's a good example of a similar situation....When the 2005 Mustang GT's first arrived in late 2004, we figured we should price them under MSRP like normal - even though the media was at a frenzy about the 300hp for $25K bang-for-the-buck. We priced them at roughly $1,000 under MSRP and sold out the first day. We then started taking special orders for that price and had a couple dozen deposits for orders within a week. To slow down the orders, we raised the price of orders to MSRP and we still got tons of orders flowing in (more than we had allocation for, so many rolled over into 2006 production - ouch!). What we learned is that $1,000 under MSRP was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap and we could have sold just as many GT's for MSRP (or even slightly over MSRP), so we cheated ourselves big time. And we were completely sold out of 2005 GT's and V6's way before the 2006's came out. We actually had customers who were pissed at us because we were sold out and had no Mustangs to show them, or let them test drive! On the flip side, many dealers were gouging on 2005 Mustangs from day one with ADM's in the thousands of $'s. In fact, there are still so many 2005 Mustangs left over (mostly in the southern states) that Ford is actually paying dealers and salespeople a little extra to sell them. So, there is a happy medium in there, but finding it isn't always so easy.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 11 2006, 07:05 PM) 2121[/snapback]

And the customers that grind us the hardest who demand the best damn deal out there are the same customers who nitpick the car to pieces and want everything absolutely perfect (good luck finding perfection on a mass-produced car). That same customer will also complain to Ford heavily in the survey they get from Ford. To tell you the truth, that's the last customer I'm going to offer a GT500 to when it's time to decide who gets them.

I can guarantee you one thing, if you sell me a car, I'll be Bowen Scarff’s biggest fan and won't nitpick the car at all. I'll even send you a Christmas card and some homemade Blackberry Honey next year. And Ford will be getting an A+ survey back.

Here's the color I want, with no options -

10.jpg

Please don't make me beg. Come on, hook a fellow Mustang guy up. Pleeeeeeease.

So in a nutshell Five O, what you are saying is that the SVT fee is generally recouped on the allotment of cars. So a smaller dealership with an allotment of one car should be expected to sell that car at 12000 over MSRP in order to cover the SVT fee?

In Canada there are only 24 SVT dealers (thankfully), there are no small, medium, or large dealer. You are an SVT dealer or you're not. And, you sell all SVT products. That being said each Canadian dealer will get it's standard allottment of 12 Cobras, which in this case will be the GT500.

I have heard that it is difficult to sell a car over MSRP or quite possibly illegal in Canada. With the only loophole being registering the car as a demo and then auction it off. To date the only one I've heard of this happening was the Prowler a few years ago.

I think alot of this is just greed driven.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 11 2006, 08:05 PM) 2121[/snapback]

I know for a fact that if the going ADM in our area is $10K over MSRP, then our ADM will be much lower. While nobody wants to pay an ADM, we will still be the best deal around - even if we're over MSRP a bit - which we likely will be. We have always been the best value on SVT products in the area and have sold more than a few SVT's out of state (we're conveniently close to SeaTac Int'l Airport).

I gotta be honest with you guys and say how much I absolutely hate selling cars like the GT500. Yeah, they're cool and I want to own one, too, but it is so hard to figure out the right price to make both parties happy. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't (price them right, that is). And the customers that grind us the hardest who demand the best damn deal out there are the same customers who nitpick the car to pieces and want everything absolutely perfect (good luck finding perfection on a mass-produced car). That same customer will also complain to Ford heavily in the survey they get from Ford. To tell you the truth, that's the last customer I'm going to offer a GT500 to when it's time to decide who gets them.

Here's a good example of a similar situation....When the 2005 Mustang GT's first arrived in late 2004, we figured we should price them under MSRP like normal - even though the media was at a frenzy about the 300hp for $25K bang-for-the-buck. We priced them at roughly $1,000 under MSRP and sold out the first day. We then started taking special orders for that price and had a couple dozen deposits for orders within a week. To slow down the orders, we raised the price of orders to MSRP and we still got tons of orders flowing in (more than we had allocation for, so many rolled over into 2006 production - ouch!). What we learned is that $1,000 under MSRP was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap and we could have sold just as many GT's for MSRP (or even slightly over MSRP), so we cheated ourselves big time. And we were completely sold out of 2005 GT's and V6's way before the 2006's came out. We actually had customers who were pissed at us because we were sold out and had no Mustangs to show them, or let them test drive! On the flip side, many dealers were gouging on 2005 Mustangs from day one with ADM's in the thousands of $'s. In fact, there are still so many 2005 Mustangs left over (mostly in the southern states) that Ford is actually paying dealers and salespeople a little extra to sell them. So, there is a happy medium in there, but finding it isn't always so easy.

I used to sell cars. I know exactly what you are dealing with. You work your a$$ off to sell a new car for a $200 comission, you jump through all of Ford's hoops ( or Chrysler's or GM's ) you do all of their on-line training, you do all of their follow-up, and you make more money selling a $3000 used car than you do selling a $35,000 new car. Then you put up with all of the Bull$hit from people on-line who think you should sell a car like the GT500 for MSRP! When was the last time, as a salesman for a domestic new car dealership that you made more than a minimum comission? Anybody out there in sales think they should sell their product for less than the public is willing to pay for it? I agree, there are some dirtbag car salesmen out there, just like there are dirtbag lawyers, senators, congressmen, etc. There are also firstclass dealerships, like the one in my hometown, whose salesmanager is a personal friend of mine, and if he can get more for a GT500 than I am willing to pay for it, then he should go ahead and sell it! I know he lost his A$$ on the after market hipo cars that he had last year because he couldn't get SVT's, so now he should sell something everybody wants for less than he knows he can get for it? Yeah, right! I am on the list for a new GT500, I can't afford to pay over MSRP, so he should sell it to someone who can! Hopefully next year, when the demand dies down I can buy a new Shelby, but just because I want one doesn't mean that the local dealership should look at me as a charity case and sell me one for less than they can get from it on the open market. If Ford makes as many as they can sell, then the only people who will pay too much are those who feel they have to have the first ones. The rest of us will just have to wait, or step up to the pump and pay the fair market price at that time!

Five Oh B and Owenkelly -

I think you both (and I, of course) make a lot of sense. The flip side of this whole 'availability' theme is that we could be turning up our collective noses (and other anatomical parts) because all that's being produced these days is a piece of crap. Everyone has their expectations, and it's impossible to get them all met. So, to Five Oh B's question about how to decide who gets the few cars they are allocated, I'd suggest the following strategy:

1. Send everyone on the list a short letter explaining your situation and your policy, whatever that may be. People feel most jerked-around when they know nothing and aren't being told anything. An information vacuum breeds wild speculation - heck, look at these boards and all the rumors and half-truths. If you don't have an answer at this time, tell them when you think Ford will have answers you can pass on - like pricing. They may not like what you tell them, but at least most will respect you for telling them something. It would not hurt to recap briefly the strategies other dealers are using (dinner auction, e-Bay, etc.) first as many are probably not aware. Obviously you would prefer to sell everyone on the list a car, but you can not at the present time. So you have to make some choices which will only make three people happy initially. Even though number thirty on the list is number one in his own mind and has good reasons to back it up, he will likely understand.

2. A list is a list, and it should be mostly first-come, first served. Mostly. If I were doing it, I would take the list and divide it into multiple previous purchases (A-list), and potential future lifetime satisfied customers (no previous purchase, B-list). I would allocate the first two, probably all three cars to the loyal customers on the A-list in order of sign-up. Let's face it, lots of folks are just calling around to get a car. You may never see them again. Loyalty goes both ways. You have to give your loyal customer base a reason to keep loyal. I wouldn't like to be #1 on your list and be told several people below me will get bumped ahead of me. No, sir, I wouldn't. But I would have to admit it was fair from the dealer's perspective if I'm not one of his loyal customers.

3. I would charge an ADM that's about the same as the other dealers in the area. BUT, I would waive some of it for repeat customers. Make that clear up front, it's a variable ADM. And it will be revisited later as supply improves.

4. I would attach a list of all the Ford dealers within 100 miles who will be selling the GT500, and provide the phone numbers. I admit, this would be BALLSY to do this. But since you cannot supply the demand anyway for this car, let people who are frustrated make the calls themselves and find the same answer - there is no quick solution. I'm betting many will come back if they really want the car and can't get it. If you are trying to break out of the pack, that's a way. Besides, many names on your list are probably on the lists of those other dealers anyway. The secret is out, there's more than a few Ford dealers nearby.

My message, reinforced by this and other site, is that people do best when you provide them news, even if it's not the news they want to hear.

All this ADM talk just get's my blood boiling, sorry Five Oh B, nothing personal. Ford is aware of the situation as evidenced by thier guidance to dealers regarding the Ford GT. Take a look at this site (entirely devoted to the pricing issues with the Ford GT) and download the Ford PDF document....

http://www.fordgtprices.com/pages/7/index.htm

Here are some excerpts:

2005 Ford GT PURCHASE MOTIVATORS

Reasons for Purchase and The Need to Build a Relationship

However, with a supercar purchase price, the Ford GT is likely to attract customers who have a different mindset than the typical Ford buyer:

Some will be those you expect to see (athletes, celebrities and business executives).

Some will be purchasers you might not expect. These will be business owners who may own "blue-collar" businesses (e.g., farms, construction, hardware stores, plumbing services, home heating and cooling services, etc.). These buyers will typically be "self-made" successes - and while they might not consider buying a Porsche or Ferrari, they will consider buying an American supercar made by Ford

They will be extremely knowledgeable about cars in general, and about the Ford GT in particular (you will want to have complete reference materials on hand to answer specific questions)

They will be comfortable with the sales and negotiation process and willing to pay for perceived value (sell the car not the deal)

They will probably have a high net worth and could be a good customer - especially if they own a business fleet (try to establish a relationship)

The Need to Build a Relationship: Probably 90 percent of the people with the interest and ability to purchase a GT will be in your showroom within months of its launch.

However, 90 percent of Ford GT production will not be available in the first few months. So you won't have a vehicle "on the lot" to sell them.

You will want to maintain a good relationship with these customers, so that when you have product they are still interested and willing to buy. Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind:

Stay in touch with these prospects on a periodic basis to provide them with product news (and perhaps product merchandise)

Make sure you can keep your promises in terms of scheduling and allocation. Don't build up a customer's hopes (e.g., by taking a deposit) and then have to disappoint them

While you may be tempted to sell scarce allocation at a premium, be sure to keep the long-term customer relationship in mind. If you are selling a Ford GT to a business owner, you may earn additional vehicle purchases (either personal or business) if you use the sale to reward them for their current business or to build a new relationship

There will be Ford GTs available for customers who can wait 18-24 months, and you'll need to build relationships to make sure you have a buyer for everyone.

First, let me say a couple of things:

-My wife sold cars for over 15 years, and I know it's a tough business to be in;

-I have been in sales for just about my entire career (about 25 years) selling high tech

I understand the pressures dealers face every day, especially U.S. based product. There are many avenues you could take for this launch, and not one single avenue would satisfy everyone. One thing Three Cobras said:

"4. I would attach a list of all the Ford dealers within 100 miles who will be selling the GT500." is definitely nail-on-head.

Many times, when I could not supply product (either out of stock or not what was produced/carried/in our niche), I recommended my clients to other competitors, stressing that I wanted to help them. You would not believe the pay-back that you get from that. Additionally, I would say: The only thing that I ask is that if you can not purchase the car from (my competitors) them, please give me a chance to get you a car once the market cools down a bit. I am sure that we will be able to get you one then, if you can bear with us for a little while. You are doing the best for your customer, and easing any anger generated by market-induced forces (read ADMU).

This has been a very inlighting thread, my plan is to wait til next spring (2007) to shop for my GT500. I don't need the car so I'm in no hurry. This is just Grandpa's toy. :) My local SVT dealer has sold me a car or 2 in the past and dealing with them has alway been a pleasure, even now they still sell new GT's for about 500 under list. Your spin on ADM's is something I had not thought of, and have always belived that when your in busness you charge what the market will bear.

One thing that has come to mind after reading this thread.

Some of you have said that local dealer X is getting 4 cars while the "list" has 30 names on it. Now I understand that some of those 30 people will get tired of waiting for the car or the ADMU and look elsewhere. At what though? What else is out there like this car that's affordable to the working stiff.

Therefore, my thought is that once the car hits the streets there will be even more interest in the car, increasing the number on the list. Since this is only supposed to be a two year run dealer X will get a total allotment of 8 cars for the two year run. Year one already had 30 people on the list and once the interest increases I suspect the list will get longer. As a result I believe that ADMU's are here to stay with this car, unless a new special edition arrives and the process starts over.

The one thing I don't think you will see is a GT500 sitting on a lot somewhere, anywhere in North America, especially below MSRP.

You are forgetting that some (more than a few) potential buyers are on more than one dealer's list. Others won't wait (people are fickle), they'll buy a 'vette....or now that there is news of competition w/muscle cars, others will wait for their favorite mfr (ie: MoPar, GM) to serve up their versions of a Muscle car. I'm not as gloomy as you....or I'm overly optimistic!!! :P

I think you'll find that a lot of people on the Waiting Lists might just be dreamers anyhow.

Also, with Ford's financial troubles, high fuel prices, CAFE targets, dwindling fuel supplies, etc....,

you might not find this car being produced for as long as Ford and we, hope. For that reason, waiting for demand to fade off to Buy one, may never materialize.

The Mustang, regardless of its popularity, doesn't bring in a lot of money to Ford. Its an Icon.

If fuel demands, low supply and Mideast tensions continue, eventually the US congress (especially if, after the Republicans get the boot) could in all probability effectively kill the Horsepower Wars as they did during the 70s Energy Crisis. If things continue on course, we may never see the Camaro or Challenger concepts even come to fruition.

Believe me I hope not. But those of you who lived through the 70s know what I'm talking about.

Remember the Mustang II?! :o

Then again what do I know?! :lol:

One thing that has come to mind after reading this thread.

Some of you have said that local dealer X is getting 4 cars while the "list" has 30 names on it. Now I understand that some of those 30 people will get tired of waiting for the car or the ADMU and look elsewhere. At what though? What else is out there like this car that's affordable to the working stiff.

Therefore, my thought is that once the car hits the streets there will be even more interest in the car, increasing the number on the list. Since this is only supposed to be a two year run dealer X will get a total allotment of 8 cars for the two year run. Year one already had 30 people on the list and once the interest increases I suspect the list will get longer. As a result I believe that ADMU's are here to stay with this car, unless a new special edition arrives and the process starts over.

The one thing I don't think you will see is a GT500 sitting on a lot somewhere, anywhere in North America, especially below MSRP.

I totally agree, Kaylan1521. But I personally think Ford will increase production of the GT500. HTT promised a GT500 for everyone who wants one, right? Hopefully I am right.

Well, I have to agree with 07 Shelby. When I was in the market in 01 I chose a Bullitt. Not because it had more power, simply because there were only going to be a maximum of 6500 cars built. In the end only 5582 were built and 322 came to Canada. Therefore when I drive my car even in thr Toronto area where a good percentage of them came people are always suprised to see one. Especially at the track when it yanks the front end off the ground. ;)

I would hope for the same with the Shelby. With what we're going to pay for this car I don't want it to be just another Mustang.

Either way I still qualify PJ as I'm over 100 posts. ;)

Archived