TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Limited Quantities?

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 26 2006, 09:52 PM) 2952[/snapback]

Sounds like we are all on the same page now. The guys who have to have a GT500 now will pay extra to get it. The patient guys will eventually get the deal they want as supply catches demand. Most GT500's will be weekend warriors, so gas pricing is not a big factor for this type of car. For those of you who plan to use your GT500 as a daily driver, then gas will cost a lot, but I'm sure very few of you are going to drive them as commuter cars.

Five Oh, are you getting one yourself?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five Oh, are you getting one yourself?

I can't afford one just yet, especiallly with so many dealers charging above MSRP. I'm gonna wait until they are priced at MSRP or lower (employee pricing preferably), so I'll sit back and wait for a 2008. I have more time than money. In the mean time, I will enjoy my 2003 Mach 1.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 26 2006, 11:25 PM) 2959[/snapback]

I can't afford one just yet, especiallly with so many dealers charging above MSRP. I'm gonna wait until they are priced at MSRP or lower (employee pricing preferably), so I'll sit back and wait for a 2008. I have more time than money. In the mean time, I will enjoy my 2003 Mach 1.

I like the Azure Blue color of your Mach 1.

I like the Azure Blue color of your Mach 1.

Thank you! Azure Blue is the only Mach 1 color that was unique to Mach 1 only, so it was quite popular. 2nd most popular Mach 1 color behind Torch Red, but I've been told that the blue ones go faster ;) 4 of my 5 Mustangs have been blue.

And I must confess that my favorite all time Mustang is the 1969 Mach 1 like you have. I'd even be happy without the 428, as the 351 or 390 still sounds good at open throttle.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 27 2006, 03:05 AM) 2961[/snapback]

Thank you! Azure Blue is the only Mach 1 color that was unique to Mach 1 only, so it was quite popular. 2nd most popular Mach 1 color behind Torch Red, but I've been told that the blue ones go faster ;) 4 of my 5 Mustangs have been blue.

And I must confess that my favorite all time Mustang is the 1969 Mach 1 like you have. I'd even be happy without the 428, as the 351 or 390 still sounds good at open throttle.

Robert has a SCJ. Yes, indeed a 69 Mach 1 is my boys dream. I have it since 95. Then you could buy a excellent one for $18000.

Don't forget that that dealer is trying to drive up the price. He/she wants you to believe that you have to buy as fast as you can or you'll miss out - and they will conveniently add "ADM" to the MSRP for you to have the privilege of owning one.

I read very recently about how the Mazda Miatas were going for far over sticker when they were introduced. I had NO idea!!! lol The PT Cruisers certainly did, too. Just shows the power of marketing hype.

It *seems* to me that Ford will produce between 15000 and 20000 GT500's during the production run but I'm sure economics/market conditions will drive that final number as usual.

Interestingly enough, I went to Ford.com today, "built" my own 2006 Mustang GT and then did a "Search Local Inventory". According to that, there are 26 brand new 2006 Mustang GT's sitting on lots within 9 miles of my zip code. 4 months ago, there were 0, ZERO! (I live in the Dallas, Texas area).

So, my theory is to just give production time to catch up with demand and we'll all be changing pulleys (and snouts), flashing new tunes, etc on our new GT500's :)

I hope your right about that crispy, my dealer told me last week he was hearing year one production of about 7,000 units though.

While the GT500 will be built in smaller quantities than the V6's and GT's, I'm still sure that Ford will build as many as they think the market will buy.

As for pricing, I still profess that the guys who gotta have them now are keeping prices up above MSRP for now, but the patient guys will find them at MSRP or less eventually....

Today and early 2007 production: demand > supply = MSRP + ADM's.

End of 2007 model year: demand = supply = MSRP, more or less.

2008: supply > demand = bargains at MSRP or lower.

I got an e-mail yesterday from a Dallas area dealer that is now discounting all V6 and GT's. Email stated that both x-plan and a-plan is now being honored on dealer stock or ordered mustangs. The craziness is finally settling down on them and one day it will on the Shelby too. Hopefully before year-end but who knows.

I got an e-mail yesterday from a Dallas area dealer that is now discounting all V6 and GT's. Email stated that both x-plan and a-plan is now being honored on dealer stock or ordered mustangs. The craziness is finally settling down on them and one day it will on the Shelby too. Hopefully before year-end but who knows.

Yes, true at our dealership, as well. We've been honoring X-plan and A/Z-plan on V6 and GT Mustangs for awhile now. We still have over 20 Mustang GT's on special order for customers who couldn't find what they wanted at our place or elsewhere. All are priced well below MSRP or on plans (for those who qualify for the plans).

And you are probably correct that someday the same will be true of Shelby GT500's. May not be anytime soon, but in the very long run it should be.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 30 2006, 12:46 PM) 3082[/snapback]

Yes, true at our dealership, as well. We've been honoring X-plan and A/Z-plan on V6 and GT Mustangs for awhile now. We still have over 20 Mustang GT's on special order for customers who couldn't find what they wanted at our place or elsewhere. All are priced well below MSRP or on plans (for those who qualify for the plans).

And you are probably correct that someday the same will be true of Shelby GT500's. May not be anytime soon, but in the very long run it should be.

Five Oh B... maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying that you think the GT500's will be on X and/or A plan? Boy, wouldn't that be nice! I'd be willing to wait a year to get THAT discount!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 30 2006, 12:46 PM) 3082[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Five Oh B... maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying that you think the GT500's will be on X and/or A plan? Boy, wouldn't that be nice! I'd be willing to wait a year to get THAT discount!

Ford has not announced any A/D/X/Z plan privileges yet for 2007 models of any kind, and likely won't allow them initially on GT500's. They likely will eventually (they have on previous SVT models, including all the 2003-4 SVT's), but participation is voluntary at the dealership level. That means that even if Ford will someday allow it, you've got to find a dealership to honor it. That may be easy in regions where there are lots of Ford employees in the community (i.e. Michigan), but in other regions you may not find dealers willing to sell on a plan as they would give up a ton of profit versus a non-plan guy buying closer to MSRP.

Thanks for the feedback Five Oh B. It's like when the 05 Mustang came out - it was eligible for X plan, but I heard horror stories from co-workers who were turned down until this fall (not that I blame the dealer - hard to turn down the extra profit when it was tough to see a GT in most of the Metro Minneapolis/St Paul dealers). I didn't think that the plans would be available for the SVT in the beginning, but it's nice to know that the SVT's have been eligible in the past.

This is unlike the Chrysler plan - no SRT models are eligible for their version of the Ford X-plan.

By the way, someone I know called SVT today. SVT indicated that due to high interest, they are planning on producing 10,000 units per year for at least 2 years. That would be Great!!! B)

That makes me very happy... :D

Drive down prices... :D

Put these great cars in the hands and garages of people who really want them... :D

Thank you Ford for listening!! :D Did I mention that I am grinning ear to ear?? :D

OK.....

but.....

Only until you get yours, and then NO MORE!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

Hmmm, somehow that sounds OK to me! B)

That is good news, I was working on my backup plan of moding a GT with a whipple supercharger and some other ford racing parts. Not any cheaper but at least I could get it. ;)

Funny....I thought of that too.....but I need the real deal.

That is good news, I was working on my backup plan of moding a GT with a whipple supercharger and some other ford racing parts. Not any cheaper but at least I could get it. ;)

Nah, do it right. You'll spend as much (if not more), but won't have the name, warranty or re-sale (if you ever do sell it). If you're going to do it, do it right. Go Shelby!

Last time I spoke w/SVT (about 3 weeks ago), they indicated 7-10k units, so we should be all set, once the uproars die down. I fully intend to call them later this month to re-confirm. I just cannot stand getting porked by dealers & their hype, so I intend to know EXACTLY what's going on with production.

My understanding is also that if you order, order what you want (coupe/'vert). Generally, the split has been about 80/20 or 75/25 (historically, coupes/'verts), so I'm sure they have that in mind, production-wise.

So, Coldwaterhotrod, if you order, you should be fine. If you are going to try to locate, especially for this year, you might have a problem (I anticipate that all will sell out). I will update this thread after I re-confirm later this month.

7-10k a year or between all the potential years?

I dont see how this is new info or changes anything since they announced production of between 7,000-10,000 a year anyway? Best shot is if demand drops off for 2008.

Well, earlier (December) there were rampant rumors of only between 2500-4000 cars per year. That would shut down most potential buyers from ever getting one. 10K/year, if correct, would get most people "in the door" (20k production up from 5k-9k), that's why. Let's hope this holds true.

Nah, do it right. You'll spend as much (if not more), but won't have the name, warranty or re-sale (if you ever do sell it). If you're going to do it, do it right. Go Shelby!

I wasn't to thrilled with the Idea, like I said it wouldn't be any cheaper and if I sold it I would get hosed on what it was worth. This will be the first new hot rod I've ever bought. Kids are gone now and I have Grandchildren now. :) I intend on being that "old man with the hot car". I'm buying this to drive, those that are buying this to collect are delusional, they "might" hit the break even point in 20 years or so, but with such a high production number it's doughtful. The 2 truely rare vehicals I had, a 2000 Excelsior Henderson SuperX and a 1987 Shelby GLHS are only worth $8,000 and $700. But I'm just rambling now, so I'll shutup. :)

Value is in the eye of the beholder. There is a Vibrant Red 93 Cobra R and Vibrant Red 93 Cobra in a museum adjacent to the track in Charlotte. They each have about 50 miles on the clock if I recall correctly. If any of those 93s were worth top dollar now, these two would probably be at the top of the list. In any event, they are probably worth a lot more than my 93 Vibrant Red Cobra with 176K and several mods and stone chips in the paint. But to convert the 'worth' into actual $$$ you have to sell the thing. So it becomes valuable only after you don't have it anymore. Mine has been worth a lot to me by driving it, not parking it. My choice and I don't regret it.

Drive those GT500s like they deserve to be driven. They will never be very rare unless most everyone splatters them against something hard - heaven forbid. They just seem rare now because we're looking through the binoculars from the wrong end.

Drive those GT500s like they deserve to be driven. They will never be very rare unless most everyone splatters them against something hard - heaven forbid. They just seem rare now because we're looking through the binoculars from the wrong end.

Just a little different perspective: would we all agree that a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 is quite rare? When was the last time you saw one outside of a car show or museum? Well, they made more than 70,000 of them in 1969. Heck, they made more than 500,000 Mach 1's from 1969-1978. For 2003, Ford made less than 10,000 Mach 1's and 7,000 more of them in 2004. In my book, the 2003-4 Mach 1 is very, very rare relative to how many early Mach 1's were made. Ford is planning similar production for the 2007-8 GT500's, so I'd say they will be quite rare, as well.

Rare is not the same as uncommon. Some collectors of specific cars think a total production run of eighty is not rare. As it turns out, one of my office mates does have a 1969 Mach I. It's a great car and he really treasures it. He's really careful when and where he drives it. I used to have a 65 Corvair Corsa Turbo Coupe - those babies are much more uncommon than Mach Is. The really rare Corvairs that are worth the most money now are the real plain Jane versions that no one hung on to because they weren't as cool. If they are 'rare' now it's because of attrition. For example, Yugos are pretty 'rare' now, thank heavens. Some vehicles have value because they are the last ones left, some have value because of what they were and still are. I also think people now are more likely to collect things than years ago. A lot of stuff went to the scrap heap in the 60s and 70s that people would probably hang on to today. This doesn't just apply to cars, it includes other things such as railroad locomotives for example. I don't doubt someone is collecting Yugos with the dream of making a killing someday . . . . But cars today will last longer and remain in better shape than the early cars because most manufacturers have realized that building cars that rust away quickly doesn't guarantee the owner will buy another of those cars. The production standard is much higher now. We used to expect about 100K was the normal limit for an engine in the 60s. Now 250K is common.

Producing ten thousand or more of a specific model is just not rare. In twenty years, if every one survives they will still not be rare. Attrition, of course, will take its toll. And you're more likely to suffer attrition if you drive the car, though Katrina took many, many cars that were being sheltered so nothing's guaranteed.

I beieve one should buy a car for themselves, not the next person they may sell it to someday. I think it is an illusion to believe these cars will be in great demand again (after sales cease) any time soon except as used cars for folks who couldn't afford them new. Some few will make money years from now, perhaps, but that's not a given. Differing points of view respected here, this is mine.

How many of you remember when the 25th anniversary Corvette came out? Guy were buying them by the truck load figuring to make a real killing on them as a collectable. It was a lot of fun to sit back and watch that one. Only recently have they started be worth something.

Archived