TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th W/725 HP Upgrade tire question

Yep, then add $462.00 each for the Pirelli's, thats a hefty price tag for more grip (that should have been there in the first place, regardless of HP upgrades). Maybe I'll wait a little while and buy a factory made wider wheel supplied by SPP. Are you listening SPP/SAI? If you'll build it. we'll buy it.

+1!!!

I just asked SPP to give me the exact wheel that goes on the 40th Anniv and they verified the part number. I didn't even unbox them, I just took them to the UPS store and sent them to Weldcraft.

OK, well if you come across the part number (or if anyone else has it) I am going to try to have them drop shipped directly to Weldcraft (unless, that is, SAI / SPP makes the exciting announcement soon that the new 20x11 razors are available for sale soon!)

OK, well if you come across the part number (or if anyone else has it) I am going to try to have them drop shipped directly to Weldcraft (unless, that is, SAI / SPP makes the exciting announcement soon that the new 20x11 razors are available for sale soon!)

+1!!!

I decided to direct the question about wheels to Amy B. in her forum. I guess we'll see whats in the works in the wheel department at SAI. That is, if they reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, it's been a couple of weeks since the last post on this subject. Has anyone heard anything new about the wider Alcoa's or Razors. I sure would like to know if SAI has anything in the pipe line for 10" or wider wheels before I send my wheels off to be widened. Thanks

Alright, it's been a couple of weeks since the last post on this subject. Has anyone heard anything new about the wider Alcoa's or Razors. I sure would like to know if SAI has anything in the pipe line for 10" or wider wheels before I send my wheels off to be widened. Thanks

Me too!!

When I was picking up my 40th 2 weeks ago, Bud said that they were only looking at widening the Alcoas on the SS. Not the Razors on the 40th. No timelines...

Bud's the best one to ask for an update.

• 2 weeks later...
When I was picking up my 40th 2 weeks ago, Bud said that they were only looking at widening the Alcoas on the SS. Not the Razors on the 40th. No timelines...

Bud's the best one to ask for an update.

Thanks Vogon. I guess a phone call to Bud is in order about future wheels and those new painted prototype rear calipers. By the way, hows the SS coming along? And hows your 40th doing, how abooot an oopdate Canadian style? Thanks, Mark

Thanks Vogon. I guess a phone call to Bud is in order about future wheels and those new painted prototype rear calipers. By the way, hows the SS coming along? And hows your 40th doing, how abooot an oopdate Canadian style? Thanks, Mark

That's foony! I'll be oot 'n aboot in it this weekend. There's a Vintage Mustang Show and Shine at Cochrane Ford on Saturday, from 10 until 4. I'm meeting Nuker out there to talk aboot SuperSnakes. I can post something next week. Everyone loves stories, right?

Short answer: 40th is great, and thank God for radar detectors and horseshoes up the ol' wazoo!

OK, I just got off the phone with Bud @ SAI a few minutes ago and so here is the wheel update.

There are no current plans for wider Razors. Bud also advised me to stay with the currently supplied wheel (as far as offset is concerned) that they include with the 40th package, if I were to send them off for widening. He was afraid that a different offset may cause the wheel to rub. As far as width advice (10", 10.5" vs 11") he had none to offer.

Has anyone widened their wheels to 11", and if so were there any fit or rubbing issues?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Now that the Super Snake guys have a wider Alcoa wheel to upgrade too, would'nt it make sense for SAI/SPP to offer a wider Razor wheel for everyone else. If you are reading this Bud, do you have any good news for us 40'th owners wanting a wider wheel than the 9" version that you sent us out the door with. Just asking. Thanks

I am going to guess that this will never happen due to the small percentage of 40th packages versus the SuperSnake. They (SS) have about 70-80%) of all coupes with the 725 HP option and they are selling five times more packages than 40th's. Having a very rare limited car takes sacrifice. :-)

Weldcraft widdened my razors to 10.5 so that I could run 305's. I raised the rear slightly to run it on the track hard, as it had a very slight rub, but it was five for the street.

I also had a set of Razors widened to 10.5" for some 305s. I had to raise the car fairly well to have decent clearance. The problem is not so much the width as the height. The stock height for the 285/40/18 is like 27". The 275/35/20 is 27.7". The 305/35/20 is like 28.5". So in addition to the width issue - there is 3/4" to make up for. I basically had to raise my car to the stock level after it was lowered for the 40th - which is not easy to do with the coil over kit we have.

I'm still happy with the 305s in the end - my Z06 friends love the look. Though I wanted to be sure you all had everything to consider. I may go with 295/30/20s next time - that tire is 27" tall, or 285/35/20 which is 28" tall. I can then lower the car back to where it was.

I also had a set of Razors widened to 10.5" for some 305s. I had to raise the car fairly well to have decent clearance. The problem is not so much the width as the height. The stock height for the 285/40/18 is like 27". The 275/35/20 is 27.7". The 305/35/20 is like 28.5". So in addition to the width issue - there is 3/4" to make up for. I basically had to raise my car to the stock level after it was lowered for the 40th - which is not easy to do with the coil over kit we have.

I'm still happy with the 305s in the end - my Z06 friends love the look. Though I wanted to be sure you all had everything to consider. I may go with 295/30/20s next time - that tire is 27" tall, or 285/35/20 which is 28" tall. I can then lower the car back to where it was.

That is good information to have. The height issue completely slipped my mind. I'm glad that you mentioned the different height measurements. obviously I suffer from what my wife calls " paralysis due to analysis" I cant seem to make up my mind, especially now that you gave me more to think about! Thanks for all the great input!

That is good information to have. The height issue completely slipped my mind. I'm glad that you mentioned the different height measurements. obviously I suffer from what my wife calls " paralysis due to analysis" I cant seem to make up my mind, especially now that you gave me more to think about! Thanks for all the great input!

Oh the decisions. Do I give up height, to width and sidewall? I don't like the raked look as much as the lowered look, but it was a trade off that I felt was the lesser of the two evils. (more traction, less traction)

Oh the decisions. Do I give up height, to width and sidewall? I don't like the raked look as much as the lowered look, but it was a trade off that I felt was the lesser of the two evils. (more traction, less traction)

I'm surprised you aren't getting an ABS light with the height difference between the front and rear.

Tom

• 1 month later...

275/35/20
Are you serious? you would think that at least a 285 would have been standard. Looks like I am going to go with the 9" Alcoas in the front and 10's in the rear with 295's. I'll be putting the Razors on the shelf.

Archived