TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th W/725 HP Upgrade tire question

When I dropped my coupe at S.A.I. off on Thursday for the 40th package with the Super Snake HP upgrades, I had Brian show me some of the completed cars, both 40th's and SS's. I couldnt help but notice that the the rear tire combination was pretty much insufficiant for the the stock 500 HP, much less 605 or 725. What are some of you doing to get more tire under the rear end. Brian indicated that fitting wider wheels and tires could be a problem. please let me know what any of you have found out about this. Thanks, Mark

SAI has larger rear wheels (11" diameter) wheels in the works. Last we heard, they were in the design stages of production. But another TS member mounted 305's on his Alcoa's and says that the fit is fine.

Interesting about the Alcoa's, I wonder what size tire will fit on the 11" wide wheels. I also am curious about the 305's, and how much grip they provided. I would hate to shelve the Razors if at all possible.

I couldnt help but notice that the the rear tire combination was pretty much insufficiant for the the stock 500 HP, much less 605 or 725. What are some of you doing to get more tire under the rear end. Brian indicated that fitting wider wheels and tires could be a problem. please let me know what any of you have found out about this. Thanks, Mark

Mark, you are spot on. You will need more tire on the ground. Several of us have either purchased another set of razor's for the back and sent them to Weldcraft to widen to 10.5 or 11.0 or sent their original rims back and then put on the 305's. Some have gone with Toyo's and other's have gone with Pirelli's. I used the Pirelli's and spent 4 days at Hallett at Mid America and they worked great. There is a much more secure feeling with the 305's and they do hook sooner. You can still break them lose at will, but with 725 HP you will break just about anything lose.

Mark, you are spot on. You will need more tire on the ground. Several of us have either purchased another set of razor's for the back and sent them to Weldcraft to widen to 10.5 or 11.0 or sent their original rims back and then put on the 305's. Some have gone with Toyo's and other's have gone with Pirelli's. I used the Pirelli's and spent 4 days at Hallett at Mid America and they worked great. There is a much more secure feeling with the 305's and they do hook sooner. You can still break them lose at will, but with 725 HP you will break just about anything lose.

I just saw that a 315 35 20 would work well on an 11" rim, and the diameter is very close to the 275 40 20. I think I will get my rears widened & go with those.

Thanks for the info! I like the extra set of wider Razor wheels idea. could you share with me how Weldcraft widens the wheels and are you happy with the finished product, i.e. wheel balance, fit and finish. Contact info for Weldcraft would be apreciated also. Thanks

www.weldcraftwheels.com

Thanks for the help. I think what I will do is to buy two more Razors, have them drop shipped to Weld Craft for an 11" widening, then install the Pirelli's just in time for the completion of my car. If all goes to plan. OK I know, wishfull thinking! Thanks again.

Cobrafan, thanks for the heads up. I would really like to see what your wheel/tire combination looks like on your car. could you please post a picture(s) of your rear tire set up? Thanks

Cobrafan, thanks for the heads up. I would really like to see what your wheel/tire combination looks like on your car. could you please post a picture(s) of your rear tire set up? Thanks

This is a pictue taken on the track at Hallett at Mid America. It shows a pretty good perspective between the fronts and rears.

th_RearTires.jpg

This is a pictue taken on the track at Hallett at Mid America. It shows a pretty good perspective between the fronts and rears.

th_RearTires.jpg

I widened mine to 11" and went with the 305/35/20 pirellis. You will probably have to adjust your rear spring seats and raise your car a little. John and I both had a slight rub while on the track. I am considereing changing my springs to something a little stiffer...may have to look at a Steeda spring.

th_RearTires.jpg

Thanks for the great action shot! I enjoyed looking at all the other photos from your trip to Mid America, bet it was a blast. However I was hoping to get a photo of the part of your car every one else that doesn't have a car with your up grades see's, the rear end view. Perhaps a close up the wheel and tire combo as it sits in the wheel well. Thanks

See if any of these work.

th_TireFront2-1.jpg

th_TireTop3.jpg

th_NewTires3.jpg

th_NewTires2.jpg

th_NewTires1.jpg

These were taken before the suspension was raised about a quarter of an inch and the wheels centered with the adjustable pan hard par. It needed about 1/8 to the right. Those are not rub marks on the first photo. It only rubbed when pushed hard at the track and then only slightly, thus the 1/4 adjustment up. I did have to remove the rear break ducts, but we are working on a modification to make them work.

These were taken before the suspension was raised about a quarter of an inch and the wheels centered with the adjustable pan hard par. It needed about 1/8 to the right. Those are not rub marks on the first photo. It only rubbed when pushed hard at the track and then only slightly, thus the 1/4 adjustment up. I did have to remove the rear break ducts, but we are working on a modification to make them work.

CF - did you widen to 10.5 or 11"? I just ordered another set. I figure I wouldn't need to go wider than 305s - so 10.5 should be fine. I imagine the brake ducts would be out for good with 315s anyway.

I went with 10.5. Mike Stacy went with 11.0 and there seems to be plenty of room. We both needed just about the same tweek and we are both running 305's.

Excellent photo's, just what I was looking for, you rock Cobrafan! Thanks so much for taking the time to help on this subject. It helped me tremedously with me deciding what wheel and tire combination I will go with.

Excellent photo's, just what I was looking for, you rock Cobrafan! Thanks so much for taking the time to help on this subject. It helped me tremedously with me deciding what wheel and tire combination I will go with.

500fm,

You're welcome, but I'm just passing along what I've picked up from this site. This really is an awesome forum with some great folks. I also appreciate the fact that we can interact with the people at SAI.

500fm,

You're welcome, but I'm just passing along what I've picked up from this site. This really is an awesome forum with some great folks. I also appreciate the fact that we can interact with the people at SAI.

CF, I absolutely agree. I have never been a fan of chat rooms or forums. However for the first time and by the way, accidentally, I have found that this forum is very informative, very positive and the willingness of other Team Shelby members to help is great. It's obvious that there are alot of very inteligent and savvy members here. Thanks everyone!

Don, I want to order some new chrome razors and have them shipped to weldcraft. Do you know what offset I need? Also, is there a deeper offset I can get in order to have them tuck under a litte further ? The rears on the standard 9" wheel stick out about 1/2" - 1" too far in my opinion...would be great to have them tuck in a little more.

Don, I want to order some new chrome razors and have them shipped to weldcraft. Do you know what offset I need? Also, is there a deeper offset I can get in order to have them tuck under a litte further ? The rears on the standard 9" wheel stick out about 1/2" - 1" too far in my opinion...would be great to have them tuck in a little more.

When I called SPP I asked for the exact chrome razor that went on the 40th Anniv as those having then done at Weldcraft were having success. I did not occur to me to ask SPP about a deeper offset, but it seems like a legitimate question. I think you are right about the extra 1/2 out to far, but it is very close to the stock set-up.

Agreed, it is very close to stock, but I think the more agressive look of the razors just draws my eye to it more. If I can improve on it slightly, then that would be great. Do you happen to remember what the exact replacement specs were?

hmm...this widening process makes me wonder...

why is it that SAI can't just simply change the design ( or add a new design to their parts # list) and have Alcoa (or whoever manufactures the wheels for them) make the wheels wider to begin with?

Thus not having to have folks pay an additional fee which will probably be double or more than the original price of the wheel + shipping??

hmm...this widening process makes me wonder...

why is it that SAI can't just simply change the design ( or add a new design to their parts # list) and have Alcoa (or whoever manufactures the wheels for them) make the wheels wider to begin with?

Thus not having to have folks pay an additional fee which will probably be double or more than the original price of the wheel + shipping??

It makes the cost of the Razors almost $650 each! Surely they can be produced in 10.5 or 11.0 for less than that.

Agreed, it is very close to stock, but I think the more agressive look of the razors just draws my eye to it more. If I can improve on it slightly, then that would be great. Do you happen to remember what the exact replacement specs were?

I just asked SPP to give me the exact wheel that goes on the 40th Anniv and they verified the part number. I didn't even unbox them, I just took them to the UPS store and sent them to Weldcraft.

It makes the cost of the Razors almost $650 each! Surely they can be produced in 10.5 or 11.0 for less than that.

Yep, then add $462.00 each for the Pirelli's, thats a hefty price tag for more grip (that should have been there in the first place, regardless of HP upgrades). Maybe I'll wait a little while and buy a factory made wider wheel supplied by SPP. Are you listening SPP/SAI? If you'll build it. we'll buy it.

Archived