TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What will happen to the SGT when the GT 350 comes out

sudden

After reading all the speculation, it looks like a Shelby GT350 will be in the works for 2010 . I am just wondering what SAI will do to make it a little different from the SGT. Also , will the SGT go off the map when it comes out? SUDDEN.

After reading all the speculation, it looks like a Shelby GT350 will be in the works for 2010 . I am just wondering what SAI will do to make it a little different from the SGT. Also , will the SGT go off the map when it comes out? SUDDEN.

If and when a GT350 comes out, the SGT will go off the map. This will happen simply because people have a tendency to constantly desire and then run to the next new thing. It's similar to when a new restaurant opens up in town. I suspect even the GT500 will lose attention if a GT350 comes out.

The dilemma I see (For Ford and Shelby) is - pricing. They have the SGT which was priced at around $40K, and a GT500 which was priced at around $45K (of course, these do not include ADM's). So, it would seem that a GT350 has to fall somewhere in between those numbers in terms of price, so lets say $43K. That's all well and good, but can they make a profit at that price? Plus, the Challenger SRT8 is priced at around that price, offering a big engine w/ a bunch of horsepower. And might the GT350 be a turbocharged V6 (heaven forbid). Then - the Camaro is on the way at the same time. On top of all that, the price of gas is so high that it has, is and will impact performance car sales. Finally, Ford is in financial distress at the moment, so will it make financial sense to produce a GT350 - the beancounters will be fighting it tooth and nail.

It's anybody's guess what will happen.

Do you have confirmation on this GT350? If it is true, I think a GT350 probably would be more....true to the old 350 and I hope that we the SGT owners don't fall off of the map....Even so, it does not not matter because just having anything Shelby for me is what counts....I hope the GT350 will have a reasonable price...but then again it will be a Shelby so I doubt that....However, remember folks, competition will be tight with the Camaro and Challenger sales.....but there will be only one......SHELBY VEHICLES!!!!!

Chris

ShelbyHomestead011.jpg

Republican.jpg

Hmmm...all things are possible. I believe if I were Ford/Shelby, I'd look at what we SGT owners are doing to upgrade our vehicles. Bigger tires and brakes, supercharging, suspension upgrades, etc., then make a GT350 as an "factory performance uprated" SGT with all of those goodies we're adding. Tack on a real working scoop, white paint and blue striping and viola - GT350. (or GT350R for extremists)

SEF

AKA:

I just don't see a GT350 hitting right now. ilmor basically got all the main reasons I think it won't happen. Ford/Shelby were in a great spot with the SGT/GT500 since they were the only ones out there. They got my purchase while I waited on the Challenger, but if that happens there's gonna be two other cars out there in this market.

I was able to get my Challenger SRT8 for 41,035 (msrp) which is only 200 or so more than the sticker on my SGT. from what I know is on the interior there seems to be much more creature comforts standard in the Challenger over Mustang too.

You know I was thinking more about this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing done with the 2010 stang, as they do with the SGT. Maybe a set of 4:10s in addition to what they already did. The only reason our car is called the Shelby GT is because it's a consumer's GT-H. So they'll just start with the consumer version this time then bring the Hertz one in.

Its the same as the 60s. When the 68 vette came out everyone was trading in their 65-67 coupes for the newer body styles. Same goes for the 67-69 camaros when the 70 came out, and the 68,69 road runners when the 70 came out. With the low production of our cars, and the Shelby name, history should repeat itself. They should all be worth a good amount of money to the people who want one. Take a look at what a 77 Ford station wagon goes for these days, they are becoming collector items, go figure.

Its not only with cars, its the same for houses, electronice etc. Everyone wants the latest and greatest even if its not as good as he older stuff.

Good point. I think that since the SGT never really was on the map, it shouldn't affect it much. I think it shoud be NA, 350+ HP in a hatchback. Other options (SC big brakes etc) available like all the other Shelbys.

Whatever it comes out as, or if it doesn't come out at all, I think the "baby" SGT is a keeper that will turn heads for years to come! :superhero:

Dan

I believe our cars will continue to drop in price for years to come. I would not expect to see any real appreciation, either financially or desirability, for 20 or more years. And if people flood the market with used SGTs to purchase a GT 350 the price will drop even more. Cars are a terrible investment. Actually they are NOT an investment. But I do believe our cars will be worth a lot of money if in excellent shape and 40 years from now. At least the WHITE SGTs!!!!!!!! Sorry, the devil made me say that last comment.

I haven't heard any of this speculation yet. Where is it coming from??? After reading all the threads in the "Ask Carroll Shelby" forum for TS members it doesn't sound like Shelby will be doing any new mustangs for a while. They don't say specifically anything about a GT350, but by the sounds of things, they are way too busy right now with all their current projects. I did read the thread with the spy pics of the 2010 GT500 and if Shelby is going to do another one, that is just one more thing that will keep them busy for a while that will divert their energy away from a GT350.

I really hope they DON'T come out with a GT350, at least for a long time. Our SGT's being consumer versions of GT-H are way too cool to fall by the wayside if/when they come out with a 350, which is what will happen. I do wonder A LOT why when they were planning our SGT's they didn't give it more power and call it a GT350. That is the only thing that I think leaves the door open for them to build a 350 anytime soon. I am pretty sure that Amy has even said on here that the SGT is a modern day GT350. So hopefully for our sake, if there are plans of a GT350, it is a long ways off.

I just don't see a GT350 hitting right now. ilmor basically got all the main reasons I think it won't happen. Ford/Shelby were in a great spot with the SGT/GT500 since they were the only ones out there. They got my purchase while I waited on the Challenger, but if that happens there's gonna be two other cars out there in this market.

I was able to get my Challenger SRT8 for 41,035 (msrp) which is only 200 or so more than the sticker on my SGT. from what I know is on the interior there seems to be much more creature comforts standard in the Challenger over Mustang too.

The SGT is the modern day version of the GT350... only much better!!!

If you have any doubts...while in 5th gear cruzin about 60 mph/2500 rpm on the fwy...

roll down both windows so you can listen carefully... drop into 3rd and punch it!!!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_...html?vid=187704

Sound familiar?

R/ J

"So, it would seem that a GT350 has to fall somewhere in between those numbers in terms of price, so lets say $43K".

I agree with most of what you posted but one thing, the price. The GT350 will not even be close to $43K especially in 2010. The Shelby GT350 will be modded heavily from SAI with suspension, big horse power, big brakes and custom wheels etc...etc...etc... The price will be more in the $60K range + ADM's. They will not sell many but those who'll pay the big coin will get them. I can say for sure I won't be one of them.

If and when a GT350 comes out, the SGT will go off the map.

Got to agree with others...I don't thing it will change much....the SGT was and still is...the best kept secret....it will take years for people to fully appreciate the car. One thing that will never change is the part that the 07 SGT played in creating the next chapter in the Shelby legacy. I would love a modern GT350...but I don't see me trading my SGT for one....and the GT350 name is not going to come cheaply. :spend:

I am sure there will be a GT 350 based on what I have read on this forum. It is confusing though as the Shelby GT was upfitted and built "using the same recipe as the early GT 350" according to SAI in the 2008 Shelby magazine.

Remember Shelby lost a lawsuit with Ford in 1984 over the use of the name GT 350.

I believe if we see a GT 350 it will be a CS-SVT as opposed to an SAI upfitted GT 350. I would imagine that it will also be adorned with Tiffany Cobras (and SVT logos) which Ford (SVT) also maintain the rights to since 1970.

I believe licensing reasons were why the SGT and the GT-H (the modern day GT 350s) were not named GT 350s and come emblazoned with Cobras from the get-go.

I look forward to the GT 350. I am excited about the current and future products from both SAI and CS-SVT. This is actually a smart marketing move as their is another familiar moniker in the CS-SVT hip pocket to promote another exciting new Shelby.

As far as the SGT, it will remain a unique and amazing automobile, despite it's identity crisis. :)

I am sure there will be a GT 350 based on what I have read on this forum. It is confusing though as the Shelby GT was upfitted and built "using the same recipe as the early GT 350" according to SAI in the 2008 Shelby magazine.

Remember Shelby lost a lawsuit with Ford in 1984 over the use of the name GT 350.

I believe if we see a GT 350 it will be a CS-SVT as opposed to an SAI upfitted GT 350. I would imagine that it will also be adorned with Tiffany Cobras (and SVT logos) which Ford (SVT) also maintain the rights to.

I believe licensing reasons were why the SGT and the GT-H (the modern day GT 350s) were not named GT 350s and come emblazoned with Cobras.

I look forward to the GT 350. I am excited about the current and future products from both SAI and CS-SVT.

The GT500 is a SVT-GT500, it does not go to SAI for a upfit like the SGT, only if your getting the 40th or SS package. Amy has already said that there will be a GT350 in the future.

"Guys, there is an 09 Shelby gt500, Carroll has a long term contract with Ford, there will be shelby's with Ford, there will be a gt350 some day as well"

Amy

The GT500 is a SVT-GT500, it does not go to SAI for a upfit like the SGT, only if your getting the 40th or SS package. Amy has already said that there will be a GT350 in the future.

"Guys, there is an 09 Shelby gt500, Carroll has a long term contract with Ford, there will be shelby's with Ford, there will be a gt350 some day as well"

Amy

As I edited my original post: I bet it will be a CS-SVT GT 350 because Ford owns the name GT 350 just like they own the Tiffany Cobra logo. It will be a win-win scenario like the GT 500 for Ford and Shelby. Another amazing mustang with a familiar moniker (GT 350) to promote both brands. Could be wrong but I think that's what we'll see.

"So, it would seem that a GT350 has to fall somewhere in between those numbers in terms of price, so lets say $43K".

I agree with most of what you posted but one thing, the price. The GT350 will not even be close to $43K especially in 2010. The Shelby GT350 will be modded heavily from SAI with suspension, big horse power, big brakes and custom wheels etc...etc...etc... The price will be more in the $60K range + ADM's. They will not sell many but those who'll pay the big coin will get them. I can say for sure I won't be one of them.

Swede, do you really think it can be priced higher than a GT500 before ADM's? I was talking in "today's" dollars, not 2010 dollars, but lets assume that the GT500 in 2010 has an msrp of $48K...Ford would not be able to price a GT350 for more than that. Are guys gonna trade in their GT500's for $60K+ GT350's? Plus, with performance / high MPG cars being frowned upon now, and probably in the next few years, Ford and dealers may need to keep a lid on pricing to move them out the door.

I would like to see the GT350 come out in a slightly smaller, much lighter Mustang. I'm getting the feeling that if it does come, it will be in 2014 +/-, i.e., the next 100% complete ground-up re-design. It will probably be an "eco-boost" V-6. In other words, it could be a much different car from what we have today. By that time, the pricing comparison to an SGT or GT500 won't be nearly as meaningful.

In my opinion, if and/or when a GT350 arrives it will be an SVT product like the GT500 and will really have no affect on the coveted SGT.

Yes, I agree and I doubt is will be converted at SAI such as the Shelby GT was - hopefully. This will always be a unique quality of the Shelby GT and the GT-H, i.e., that they became Shelby's at SAI just like the Shelby's of old.

Hmmm...all things are possible. I believe if I were Ford/Shelby, I'd look at what we SGT owners are doing to upgrade our vehicles. Bigger tires and brakes, supercharging, suspension upgrades, etc., then make a GT350 as an "factory performance uprated" SGT with all of those goodies we're adding. Tack on a real working scoop, white paint and blue striping and viola - GT350. (or GT350R for extremists)

SEF

AKA:

I think that was part of the plan with the Bullitt,A little suspension tweak,A Factory CAI and hardened 3:73 gears in a GT500 style carrier arrangement.Not to mention the 500 seats and steering wheel.Ford could really implement some proven ideas in a GT350 but will the market really be there for another teens around town and mid 20's on the interstate gas guzzler.Funny thing is that these really aren't guzzlers at all!The market is so over run with Mustang variants that IMO the best way to build a GT350 would be to follow the 2000 Cobra R theme and make it balls out like the originals.But I'm probably in the minority on the sales demographic.

I haven't heard any of this speculation yet. Where is it coming from??? After reading all the threads in the "Ask Carroll Shelby" forum for TS members it doesn't sound like Shelby will be doing any new mustangs for a while. They don't say specifically anything about a GT350, but by the sounds of things, they are way too busy right now with all their current projects. I did read the thread with the spy pics of the 2010 GT500 and if Shelby is going to do another one, that is just one more thing that will keep them busy for a while that will divert their energy away from a GT350.

I really hope they DON'T come out with a GT350, at least for a long time. Our SGT's being consumer versions of GT-H are way too cool to fall by the wayside if/when they come out with a 350, which is what will happen. I do wonder A LOT why when they were planning our SGT's they didn't give it more power and call it a GT350. That is the only thing that I think leaves the door open for them to build a 350 anytime soon. I am pretty sure that Amy has even said on here that the SGT is a modern day GT350. So hopefully for our sake, if there are plans of a GT350, it is a long ways off.

It is all up to Ford. Ford owns the rights to the name GT 350. If Ford makes the GT 350 what can SAI do except to modify an existing vehicle, vis a vis the SGt. SAI may be busy now with retrofits of existing vehicles but I think they will have very limited input or effect if Ford makes the 350. An example would be the GT 500. The GT 500 has very little impact on SAI except now for retrofits to 40th anniversary models and KRs etc. Again it will be Ford's decision whether SAI continues to exist. Ford used SAI to establish an image at a cheaper price than Ford could do on their own. Ford could not have produced the SGT at a reasonable price hence turning it over to an aftermarket firm. And the name Shelby adds an instant mystique. And we have to remember that someday Mr. Shelby will go to that great SAI factory in the sky and what will happen then to the name, to SAI, to our vehicles, to performance, etc. But Ford will decide if their will be a 350 and if it is made by Ford or SAI. Ford uses SAI for the image and the ability to fill a niche market. SAI uses Ford to exist. It is win win as long as both keep winning. When either party wants to head south it is over.

I don't think that the SGT was ever on the map in the first place.

I believe our cars will continue to drop in price for years to come. I would not expect to see any real appreciation, either financially or desirability, for 20 or more years. And if people flood the market with used SGTs to purchase a GT 350 the price will drop even more. Cars are a terrible investment. Actually they are NOT an investment. But I do believe our cars will be worth a lot of money if in excellent shape and 40 years from now. At least the WHITE SGTs!!!!!!!! Sorry, the devil made me say that last comment.

Good, let em drop, I'll keep my black one, buy an 08 vert for myself, try to find a nice sgt-c, and a nice white auto for my girlfriend.

Then 2 more, just in case. :D

In my opinion, if and/or when a GT350 arrives it will be an SVT product like the GT500 and will really have no affect on the coveted SGT.

I agree with most everything stated on this thread. However, everyone is missing that in order for SAI to stay in business they need to produce vehicles. SS and 40th's will be at the end of the run in 2010. SAI will need another project. Therefore, I believe they will be making the GT350 and not SVT. Even though Ford owns the trademark doesn't mean they can't license it out to SAI.

Anyone know the answer to this one: If SAI becomes the performance company for Ford products - does that eliminate those models from Ford's CAFE calculation? Meaning, Ford sold the Mustang to SAI as a Mustang. What SAI does to it after that shouldn't affect Ford's CAFE regulations. Thoughts?

I think that was part of the plan with the Bullitt,A little suspension tweak,A Factory CAI and hardened 3:73 gears in a GT500 style carrier arrangement.Not to mention the 500 seats and steering wheel.Ford could really implement some proven ideas in a GT350 but will the market really be there for another teens around town and mid 20's on the interstate gas guzzler.Funny thing is that these really aren't guzzlers at all!The market is so over run with Mustang variants that IMO the best way to build a GT350 would be to follow the 2000 Cobra R theme and make it balls out like the originals.But I'm probably in the minority on the sales demographic.

+100

the best way to build a GT350 would be to follow the 2000 Cobra R theme and make it balls out like the originals.But I'm probably in the minority on the sales demographic.

I am just wondering how the politics will go when a decsion is made about the GT 350. It seems odd that SVT will allow Shelby to get all the credit by name sake if they make another great car like the GT500. There has been a lot of confusion about that by consumers. I belive the GT 350 will be made by SVT, and Shelby will convert them to the "R". That would make some sense based on what we know now. SUDDEN.

AAAAHHHHHH :banghead::banghead::banghead: !!!! I don't understand why Ford would bring a GT350 out so soon...I mean overall the Mustang still sells very well, I think untill sales are slumping then hit the market with something like a GT350.....

Even the Mustang is in need of a shot in the arm. If they proceed with the V6 Twin Turbo w/6-speed, they will need to call it something! They seem to imply that the GT500 V8 will continue in some form, as will the base V8 GT. It makes for a nice middle model. Again though this will be, I suspect, an SVT car and not an SAI car with some mod shop opportunity. I also hope to see, around this time, the SGT update packages on the idea of the 40th and SS from SAI.

Archived