TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will "Official" Shelby Mods Devalue a KR?

One of the recent threads brought up the topic of Shelby mods, ie 605hp/big brake/wheel mods will hurt the collector value of the 08/09 KR's. If you know where I can pick up a devalued '65 GT350 w/Paxton SC please let me know :hysterical: I think they would increase collectibility. What's your take?

One of the recent threads brought up the topic of Shelby mods, ie 605hp/big brake/wheel mods will hurt the collector value of the 08/09 KR's. If you know where I can pick up a devalued '65 GT350 w/Paxton SC please let me know :hysterical: I think they would increase collectibility. What's your take?

I think the orginal post was doing the SS kit on a KR. However, if one is able to document that these upgrades can from SHelby as delivered, I would guess they would then be in the same class as the Paxton Shelby you mentioned. If you sent it back later and had the mods done, I believe the value would hurt. If nothing else, keep the take off parts to hedge your bet.

THe real truth to it is, in thirty years, who the hell knows. There may no gas and the car is completely worthless. :slapfight:

I would just stick to mods that would be REVERSIBLE, which is nearly anything.

Keep the stock parts in your basement. Brakes=100% reversible, suspension, driveshaft, diffy=100% reversible, exhaust=100% reversible, even supercharger/tune/CAI=reversible. So personally I wouldn't do stripe/ paint mods but anything else could (w/many hours of labor) be put back to stock without compromising basic originality.

Lets face it, the only reason to spend this sort of money on a car is to impress an audience. Now that "audience" varies for each person - some want to impress the people at the local auto club, some want to impress their family and friends - some just want to impress themselves. Me, I'm in this mostly for my own satsfaction. I will be keeping my KR as stock as possible, and documenting any and all changes I make (including keeping every old part).

When I am out and about in my '68 GT500KR, I get asked three questions

- Is it a real KR?

- Is that the original colour?

- Is it all stock?

What gives me pleasure, is to be able to answer yes to all three of those questions. Thats just me, of course, each persons view is different...

I think there is no doubt that the most sought out '68 KRs are those that are all-original. 1-of-1 cars (like the original SS, I think?) are obviously special cases, and if well documented and verified, can be even more "collectible". Colour change cars, highly modified cars (unless they have racing history, and then only when well documented) are generally considered lessdesireale. One thing that detracts from the bragging rights of my '68, is that the original owner ditched a few parts that he deemed unnecessary when making his upgrades - original air-cleaner, smog, exhaust manifolds. Luckily it stopped there, but for me to replace those parts now would cost a fortune - original 68 KR air cleaners can easly run to 5 grand! Thats not worth it to me, so there are a few repo parts on the car. I personaly would feel happier (I guess, feel the car was more "collectible"), if the car was completely orginal...

Then, I take my '98 Saleen S281 out to a late-model car show. She has minimal mods (done by the previous owner), but enough to keep up with the local car-crowd. Still, for a car that is "rarer" than the Shelby (only 59 '98 S281 Coupes were made), she didn't get a lot of attention next to the tricked-out, highly modified Mustangs... By the way, when I bought the Saleen, I got it for a good price - the owner was having a tough time selling *because* of the mods...

By the way, there were jokes made on the '68 mailing list a while back about someone selling "Snake Oil" - the story went that they had kept the original oil from a '68 GT500, and were now trying to sell it. I don't know if it was a true story or not, but you know what? I am seriously considering saving the oil, the filter, every single original part that is ever taken off the car. Will it ever be worth a penny? Who knows, but its got to be a better bet than some of the crap lying around my garage! :->

Anyway, to each his own, but personally, if you were going to mod a car, I think you would be better starting out with a GT500...

Chris.

Lets face it, the only reason to spend this sort of money on a car is to impress an audience. Now that "audience" varies for each person - some want to impress the people at the local auto club, some want to impress their family and friends - some just want to impress themselves. Me, I'm in this mostly for my own satsfaction. I will be keeping my KR as stock as possible, and documenting any and all changes I make (including keeping every old part).

When I am out and about in my '68 GT500KR, I get asked three questions

- Is it a real KR?

- Is that the original colour?

- Is it all stock?

What gives me pleasure, is to be able to answer yes to all three of those questions. Thats just me, of course, each persons view is different...

I think there is no doubt that the most sought out '68 KRs are those that are all-original. 1-of-1 cars (like the original SS, I think?) are obviously special cases, and if well documented and verified, can be even more "collectible". Colour change cars, highly modified cars (unless they have racing history, and then only when well documented) are generally considered lessdesireale. One thing that detracts from the bragging rights of my '68, is that the original owner ditched a few parts that he deemed unnecessary when making his upgrades - original air-cleaner, smog, exhaust manifolds. Luckily it stopped there, but for me to replace those parts now would cost a fortune - original 68 KR air cleaners can easly run to 5 grand! Thats not worth it to me, so there are a few repo parts on the car. I personaly would feel happier (I guess, feel the car was more "collectible"), if the car was completely orginal...

Then, I take my '98 Saleen S281 out to a late-model car show. She has minimal mods (done by the previous owner), but enough to keep up with the local car-crowd. Still, for a car that is "rarer" than the Shelby (only 59 '98 S281 Coupes were made), she didn't get a lot of attention next to the tricked-out, highly modified Mustangs... By the way, when I bought the Saleen, I got it for a good price - the owner was having a tough time selling *because* of the mods...

By the way, there were jokes made on the '68 mailing list a while back about someone selling "Snake Oil" - the story went that they had kept the original oil from a '68 GT500, and were now trying to sell it. I don't know if it was a true story or not, but you know what? I am seriously considering saving the oil, the filter, every single original part that is ever taken off the car. Will it ever be worth a penny? Who knows, but its got to be a better bet than some of the crap lying around my garage! :->

Anyway, to each his own, but personally, if you were going to mod a car, I think you would be better starting out with a GT500...

Chris.

Very well stated, Chris, but we're not talking about "ghost flames', and Flowmasters. These are the mods offered thru SAI specifically for 2008-9 KR's ENG/brake/wheels,ETC. Would you add them or not? Can you predict how they will effect value?

I realize this topic is conjecture.....but until we get these cars in our hands, what is there to talk about on this forum. Obama? :-(

Very well stated, Chris, but we're not talking about "ghost flames', and Flowmasters. These are the mods offered thru SAI specifically for 2008-9 KR's ENG/brake/wheels,ETC. Would you add them or not? Can you predict how they will effect value?

I realize this topic is conjecture.....but until we get these cars in our hands, what is there to talk about on this forum. Obama? :-(

GOT MY VOTE

Well while we're chewing over conjecture, we could also try some predictions on Ford's stock price! For a while there in 2004 my (modest) Ford stocks were one of the best performers in my portfolio. Of course, those days are long gone, and now my Ford stocks are just an embarrasing red smudge :-< Thats just to illustrate how much my financial opinion is worth! :->

I think a careful upgrade through Shelby, well documented, would probably add value. In fact, if you upgraded things like your wheels, tires, and exhaust, and then vacuum packed the originals, I think you would add a *lot* of value (and by value, I am talking about crazy $$$s at the 2040 equivalent of Barett Jackson).

Document everything, keep everything, and try and stay the course for the long run, and you can't go wrong (IMHO). Look at the "value" of '68 Shelbys now a days, but then see just how many of them are one-owner - those are few and far between. Will those criterea hold true for a 2008 Shelby in 2048? I wonder what my '68 will be worth then at 80 years old? Come to that, what will I be worth then at close on 80 myself??? ;^>

When (if?) I get my KR, I will definately be doing the obvious mods anyway - tune and pulley at the very least, but I am a bit of a purist, so I doubt I will go much further than that. I'm not sure what the tread-life will be like on these F1 Supercar tyres, but I will probably change those out pretty early (i.e. when there is still plenty of tread left). Now if only I could convince the Shelby mod-shop to do a colour-change to yellow before the car is registered, I would be one happy camper! Saleen can do it, so why not Shelby??? I wouldn't dream of doing a post-registration colour change, but if I could first register the car as yellow, I would jump at the chance. Oh, I also plan to do a very thorough photo-documentation of the car as delivered, and probably put some sort of protective film over any chalk-marks, decals, etc.

Chris.

what the :censored: is wrong with ghost flames ? Real Hot Rods have flames :lol: Yep mine is modded, I am a hot rod guy not a collector. Drive em and have fun! Lifes too short IMHO.

I too wanted a Grabber Orange KR, but it's not logistically possible.

As for the mods: If SAI offers factory or mod-shop documented upgrades, I AM IN! No, these won't hurt the value of the KRs - it will make them even more unique. Plus, I plan on racing mine anyway so bigger brakes, etc. will be welcomed.

what the :censored: is wrong with ghost flames ? Real Hot Rods have flames :lol: Yep mine is modded, I am a hot rod guy not a collector. Drive em and have fun! Lifes too short IMHO.

I love :censored: ghost flames too. But I don't have the Kajunies to put 'em on my KR.

Archived