TEAM SHELBY FORUM

best option for supercharger

So, I'm a random guy who happens to live in a random town in the absolute middle of nowhere, (read: central Saskatchewan, Canada) when it comes to getting top notch work done as far as performance upgrades go. I'm quite interested in doing my car up with a supercharger, BUT, it's likely not financially feasible to drive/ship it to vegas to get it done at SAI. I do have a dealer nearby in Saskatoon that has an SVT division but I'm not sure exactly if that division handles things such as this or if it's just a dealer authorized to sell SVT products. I would prefer to have it done by SAI so I can get the door stripes changed and have the center cluster installed as well, but it's just not looking good at this point, nor do I wish to be without my car for months at a time. Anyone have any suggestions, comments or feed back? I don't even mind if it's just a "suck it up, you have to do what you gotta do." I still love the car the way it is but you know, icing, cake, etc.

I would agree you are in a pretty tough situation. I would probably talk to the head of the service dept. at the dealership near you that has the svt division. Find out how experienced they are with supercharger installs. If they are, that might make you feel more comfortable with having them do it. If you're set on SAI doing the mods and install, then you will have to suck it up and send it to Vegas. Waiting all that time and spending that money will really suck up front but will give you peace of mind knowing that it will be done right, and you will be happier when you finally get it back.

I would agree you are in a pretty tough situation. I would probably talk to the head of the service dept. at the dealership near you that has the svt division. Find out how experienced they are with supercharger installs. If they are, that might make you feel more comfortable with having them do it. If you're set on SAI doing the mods and install, then you will have to suck it up and send it to Vegas. Waiting all that time and spending that money will really suck up front but will give you peace of mind knowing that it will be done right, and you will be happier when you finally get it back.

That was kind of the feeling I was getting as well. I wonder, does anyone know if I would be eligible for having the gt/sc door decals changed if I was to do it at some random performance place around here though, or is that a "done at Shelby" only mod?

I realize I could just get the sticker redone at yet another random body shop but I'd prefer to keep everything as close to the model and options offered by Shelby, as well as them having the "real" original decals.

I know you do not want a brand testimonial, but here's what I would do if I were in your situation.

Find a dedicated, quality oriented mechanic. Purchase the Ford Racing Whipple, either horsepower level, and have him install it. I did my own, in my driveway with a friends help in a weekend. I am not a mechanic by trade, but have been playing with cars for years.

Whipple's tech line and the guys at FRPP in Dearborn are great and ready and willing to help. The Ford tune is pretty much flawless. The Whipple instruction manual is easy to follow and the parts all fit great.

Please let me know if you want more info on my experience.

Michael

I know you do not want a brand testimonial, but here's what I would do if I were in your situation.

Find a dedicated, quality oriented mechanic. Purchase the Ford Racing Whipple, either horsepower level, and have him install it. I did my own, in my driveway with a friends help in a weekend. I am not a mechanic by trade, but have been playing with cars for years.

Whipple's tech line and the guys at FRPP in Dearborn are great and ready and willing to help. The Ford tune is pretty much flawless. The Whipple instruction manual is easy to follow and the parts all fit great.

Please let me know if you want more info on my experience.

Michael

The GT/SC badge can only be affixed if the mod is done by SAI or a SAI authorized mod shop. That's the only way to get something in the Shelby registry.

You might check out the Kenne Bell too. More HP.

Either way, not having the GT/SC badge gives you a stealthmobile...

Have you considered sending the SGT to the nearest SAI authorized dealer for the install during the winter and driving a beater just for the winter?

Unless there's one in Canada somehwere I don't know about, SAI probably IS the closest. hehe

It doesn't get driven during the winter anyways, I have an 89 Super Coupe and a 97 Grand AM GT that I putz in for winter driving.

The GT/SC badge can only be affixed if the mod is done by SAI or a SAI authorized mod shop. That's the only way to get something in the Shelby registry.

You might check out the Kenne Bell too. More HP.

Either way, not having the GT/SC badge gives you a stealthmobile...

Very true, although I'm not interested in roasted my bottom end so I don't want to go crazy with HP, just bump it up to 400ish. All the more fun. =)

The whipple has a very good installation book to follow. you could do it in two days easy, one if you have done it before. the hardest thing was figuring out the intercooler hose routing lol... I did mine and I do have the stripes to change I keep them in the trunk not installed it is fun for the time being its all about the stealthy whupping I deliver around here lol..

The strut tower brace doesn't fit over the whipple though does it? At least without some minor modifications to the brace itself. I just think it looks cool as hell. hehe

Ooh, another question I have, will I have to open up the exhaust a bit so she can breathe better if I put one on or is the factory adequate until sometime in the future when I get around to redoing the stock pipes?

Archived