TEAM SHELBY FORUM

front license plate

i'm sure this has been discussed, but i am getting a headache trying to find the posts, how did you lot install the front plate, mines been sitting on the shelf for past year and i better act before i get caught without it on. thanks

Most of us don't run with a front plate. It's not a moving violation.

If you want to put yours on, you will need to use the special front lic. plate holder that came with your car if you plan on screwing it to the bumper. :fear:

The front bumper has light dimples where the screws go. Here is a pic of a member with a front plate on. Note the black ford frame that is contoured to the bumper. If you did not get that, you will need to buy one from Ford. This is not my car, as I don't use a front plate.

AllFordCarShow6-7-08084.jpg

Ty,

Before you drill there was a bracket out there that clamped to the actual bumper and behind the fascia and that doesn't require drilling. I am sure somebody will come up with the product.

thanks, dang Chris your car looks good, I should say awesome,your so lucky you changed your hood, dropped mine at HB ford Monday for its 4th scoop and 3rd replacement stripes. are we required to have front plate in calif?

Ty,

Before you drill there was a bracket out there that clamped to the actual bumper and behind the fascia and that doesn't require drilling. I am sure somebody will come up with the product.

These are not on the market. A member here made a few. I keep it in my trunk incase I need to throw my plate on to please a cop.

th_Misc276.jpg

th_Misc275.jpg

th_Misc274.jpg

th_Misc273.jpg

th_Misc272.jpg

th_Misc270.jpg

th_Misc269.jpg

th_Misc267.jpg

That is a GREAT product. Ohio requires a front plate but my vehicle is in AZ where front plates are not required by law. Unfortunately many states can still enforce the no front plate if you are required by your titled state to have the front plate. This would be great to keep in the trunk just in case. I would never drill into the fascia. Another big disadvantage to the front plate is the radar and red light cameras. Now the chance of getting your plate is reduced by 50%. I could see using this product for shows and cruising if you have a great personalized plate.

Please don't drill, you'll be mad if you get it even the smallest amount wrong. I bought one of these a week ago, it went on fast and looks killer, check it out:

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/index.html

Jim

Edit: He shipped it VERY fast, I had it in two days from order date.

I agree this is the best one out there. I own it, too.

Jim

Please don't drill, you'll be mad if you get it even the smallest amount wrong. I bought one of these a week ago, it went on fast and looks killer, check it out:

Jim

DON'T DRILL!!!!!! I also have this custom bracket and it's awesome. I had it installed in five minutes. here's a front on view of mine...

post-10426-1213199506.jpg

post-10426-1213199506.jpg

If you look under your bumper you will see 4 screws in the middle. The GT500s, SGTs, and GT/CS all have them that I have seen. You can bend up and mount some aluminum brackets to them and it will protect the lower grille area while still allowing air flow. That's what I did.

MVC_010F.JPG

MVC_010F.JPG

Ty,

Thank You for the compliment. Sorry about your on going hood issues.

Yes you are required to have both plates in CA. It is a fix it ticket. There should be no fine if fixed but alot of cities have created handling fees to make a buck.

Some cities enforce the two license plates more then others. It has a lot to do with whether or not the city has red light cameras. About six or seven years ago, LA cops were told to write the license plate tickets alot. It just happened to be around the same time that the first red light cameras went in. LAPD supervisors were even auditing the officers cars in the parking garages at the stations.

Please note that if you have or are planning to install the driving light option the alternative plate attachment described here does not work. I have the light package so reluctantly I had to drill the holes. But the positive of this is my radar detector is built into the license plate frame. Just a thought. Steve

Please note that if you have or are planning to install the driving light option the alternative plate attachment described here does not work. I have the light package so reluctantly I had to drill the holes. But the positive of this is my radar detector is built into the license plate frame. Just a thought. Steve

This has been discussed before but you can use Craig’s bracket with the lower grill and driving lights installed. I have had mine on and off several times. You have to modify the installation protocol a little and it takes more time since you have to remove the “shield” under the front fascia for access. I am running without a front plate at the present time but figure eventually I’ll be asked to get it mounted.

post-8676-1213237654.jpg

post-8676-1213237654.jpg

This has been discussed before but you can use Craig’s bracket with the lower grill and driving lights installed. I have had mine on and off several times. You have to modify the installation protocol a little and it takes more time since you have to remove the “shield” under the front fascia for access. I am running without a front plate at the present time but figure eventually I’ll be asked to get it mounted.

Mac, when, where did you have the lower grill, lights, vent kit installed? That looks exceptional ! I might also add you have one of the best wax/polish jobs I have seen on a White SGT. Looks great. What do you use?

Mac, when, where did you have the lower grill, lights, vent kit installed? That looks exceptional ! I might also add you have one of the best wax/polish jobs I have seen on a White SGT. Looks great. What do you use?

69dejavue - thanks for the nice compliment. None of our car council (Chevy and Mopar guys) will even look at my Shelby (Ford folks are few and far between around here). Actually, the photo was taken last fall and I spent the winter polishing the thing so you should see it gleam now! I have been using Griot’s Garage stuff for a number of years now. It is rather pricy but all of their products I have tried are as advertized. On this car I use their clay bar, polish 4 (finest) and Best of Show Wax. I have found that their random orbital works great and you do not have to worry about burning through your clear coat with it. The bad deal is that once you get their catalog a car guy can go nuts and could spend his/her paycheck on cool car care items, accessories, tools and other essential stuff. Thanks again you made my day.

I had the lower grill and driving lights installed at SAI before it was delivered.

Jim

I am pretty sure this is the guy who started making these a few years back and was on Themustangsource.com

The bracket looks just like the one he made. So either its him or someone copied it eaxct. Anyway it seemed to work for everyone who bought one from him. I dont know how it will work if you have the lower billet grill.

SoDakMac,

I have Craig's bracket on my SGT and have been considering getting the lower grill, but was holding off until I can figure out how to make it all fit.

Can you give a quick overview of the mods needed to make the bracket work with the lower grill?

Thanks!

SoDakMac,

I have Craig's bracket on my SGT and have been considering getting the lower grill, but was holding off until I can figure out how to make it all fit.

Can you give a quick overview of the mods needed to make the bracket work with the lower grill?

Thanks!

I made some ramps out of 2x6’s to provide some room to work. You have to remove the shield gizmo that attaches to the front fascia so you can access the area behind the lower grill, which is no big deal. I put the bracket’s “permanent” plate with the 3M tape on as directed – it attaches to a flange behind the grill area. I removed the bolts/nuts from the bracket and then wrapped the thing with blue painter’s tape, which is easy to remove. Otherwise you could scratch the bumper when maneuvering the bracket around. CAREFULLY slide the bracket’s rubber covered ends between the top of the lower grill and the bumpers fascia (at least on mine there is a small space). Then, you have to attach the bracket to the plate you put on with 3M tape with the bolts supplied. I know there is something different with the bolts but at my age I cannot remember exactly what it is – I think you have to put them in from the rear rather than the front. You must need spacers to make the bolts snug up because I have oversize nuts on the bolts. You can then put the license plate on (it would not work to attach the license plate on before getting the bracket in place). Mine is off until I get pulled over.

I made some ramps out of 2x6’s to provide some room to work. You have to remove the shield gizmo that attaches to the front fascia so you can access the area behind the lower grill, which is no big deal. I put the bracket’s “permanent” plate with the 3M tape on as directed – it attaches to a flange behind the grill area. I removed the bolts/nuts from the bracket and then wrapped the thing with blue painter’s tape, which is easy to remove. Otherwise you could scratch the bumper when maneuvering the bracket around. CAREFULLY slide the bracket’s rubber covered ends between the top of the lower grill and the bumpers fascia (at least on mine there is a small space). Then, you have to attach the bracket to the plate you put on with 3M tape with the bolts supplied. I know there is something different with the bolts but at my age I cannot remember exactly what it is – I think you have to put them in from the rear rather than the front. You must need spacers to make the bolts snug up because I have oversize nuts on the bolts. You can then put the license plate on (it would not work to attach the license plate on before getting the bracket in place). Mine is off until I get pulled over.

Thanks for the info!

It sounds like its a little more work, but the bracket can be used with the lower grille. Now I just need to get myself a lower grille...

Archived