TEAM SHELBY FORUM

new cts v faster than gt500

idareu

From Autoweek - CTS-Velocity: Hot Cadillac to pack 556 hp

General Motors says the '09 Cadillac CTS-V will sprint from 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds.

As if the video of the forthcoming Cadillac CTS-V lapping Germany's famed Nürburgring racecourse in just less than eight minutes wasn't enough to get us excited, now we get some performance numbers.

General Motors on Monday said that the CTS-V's engine--a supercharged 6.2-liter V8--will crank out peak horsepower of 556 at 6100 rpm and peak torque of 555 lb-ft at 3800 rpm.

That engine will muscle Cadillac's new übersedan from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and enable it to cover a quarter-mile in 12 seconds at 118 mph, GM said.

The '09 CTS-V will have a six-speed manual transmission as standard equipment. But GM insiders say the hot setup is a new six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel.

John Heinricy, head of GM's performance division and race-car driver, used the automatic when he turned the Nürburgring hot lap in May.

Maybe it's just the commercials, but I have this awful vision of some really good-looking girl in high heels bragging about how her 40Gb hard drive and whupping some poor Mustang's butt turns her on.

I better finish the suspension and go at least stage two. If I ever meet this girl, she's going to have to chase me down, not the other way...

It will be interesting to see what the magazine writers compare it to in field testing.

Probably BMW M3, Mercedes C63 AMG, Audi RS4 and Lexus ISF. Against these cars, the CTS V will be more powerful than all of them by a healthy margin, less expensive than the Mercedes and Audi, probably on par with the BMW and Lexus pricewise. Being supercharged, adding more HP should also be easy. Unless I'm mistaken the CTS V engine is acutally a detuned version of the one found in the Corvette ZR1.

Is it true that a caddy is faster than a shelby?

No matter what we do to our cars or no matter what a person drives, theres alway something out there that will beat you or better yet a driver that has the experience to beat you in a lesser or equal car due to the racing experience.

Azbud

They are also expected to be somewhere around $80,000 as well. So we should not feel bad at all.

Now when someone pulls up against the new CTS-V in a KR that they paid $80k (or way more) for and gets whooped... then that's another issue.

At least in that $80k range there is stiff competition from the Viper and also for ten grand less... the GT-R. Not many cars under $130k that'll be touching those really.

I live close to Summit Point Raceway where they have been testing the new V one thing I can say about the car is it has no wheel hop. So they have the suspension dialed in. So it should hook and go pretty well and with the auto no missed shifts. But you also have to remember the minimum base price I have heard of is around 60K so thats around 15K more than the average GT 500. You can check the video of the V at Summit Point on youtube.

They are also expected to be somewhere around $80,000 as well. So we should not feel bad at all.

Now when someone pulls up against the new CTS-V in a KR that they paid $80k (or way more) for and gets whooped... then that's another issue.

At least in that $80k range there is stiff competition from the Viper and also for ten grand less... the GT-R. Not many cars under $130k that'll be touching those really.

M.S.R.P. for the Caddy is $110,000.

M.S.R.P. for the Caddy is $110,000.

Is this the official MSRP? I read in magazines after the car was introduced at the Detroit Show that MSRP would start at around $60K. Then again, that wouldn't be the first time car mags are wrong. A year ago, Motor Trend said that the SuperSnake package would go for around $10K!!!

Mustangs magazine did an article on 3 bolt-ons. Tires,mild tune and cat back magnaflows 1/4 time 11.78.You can't compare after market Mustang parts to any cadillac. Just the word makes me sick. I remember when cadillac was into racing , they never won a race in two years. Finally gave UP trying.

Really? I've never heard a number that high.

How can they justify that when the new ZR-1 will be at $100,000 MSRP?

Doesn't add up.

Is this the official MSRP? I read in magazines after the car was introduced at the Detroit Show that MSRP would start at around $60K. Then again, that wouldn't be the first time car mags are wrong. A year ago, Motor Trend said that the SuperSnake package would go for around $10K!!!

Here is the link for the Cadillac website that lists the M.S.R.P. of the 2008 XLR-V at $101,000. The CTS-V is a larger car with more features AND H.P.

http://www.gm.com/shop/frame.jsp?c=http://www.cadillac.com/

The M.S.R.P. figure that I'm quoting is sourced information from an entity that has a deep, deep, relationship within the highest levels of G.M. The quoted M.S.R.P. may be adjusted a little due to market conditions (fuel costs, the economy, etc.) when the CTS is finally released, but not by very much.

The hot new CTS-V is a COUPE, not a 4-door and thus far is still a concept from what I've been reading. Caddy has put a LOT of R&D into this thing over the last few years and has already taken the CTS to a level that rivals ,and even surpasses the German sport sedans in many areas. I was going to buy one in fact. Then of course FORD revealed the GT500....you can guess how thet turned out. I really don't understand though why Caddy is dumping everything they have in to this one car, and chasing the high performance market with a sedan and NOT sharing ant of it with the rest of the GM brands. My only fear is that the new Comaro will come out with that hot new power plant in it. WHEW!!! I just scared myself. Just my $0.02. got500.

The 2009 CTS-V is neither a coupe nor a concept.

Fastest sedan ever to the Nurenberg Ring and will retail in the 60's. The prievious gen. CTS-V stickered in the low-mid 50's. I had an 05(2nd year) and paid nearly 10 grand below sticker. Very, very small market for these cars.

For 4200 pounds and 550hp that is very serious.....well...... time for that whipple 2.9 to come out.

Whats sad is the KR is slower than the CTS-V, the caddy cost 15,000 less, has allot more features , better suspension, a better blower and seats more people. Ford really put out a half a** effort on the KR. The KR should of had the TVS so it could handle the caddy easily instead they wimped out and now a caddy that cost less, has a hell of a better suspension will out run the KR and with a Auto at that. Way to go Ford make a KR that can not even run with a caddy. The KR just got drop from my list. I guess I will have to get a TVS so some caddy driver will not be able to show me up or trade the GT500 in and get the Caddy but I think I could not live that down. Wake up ford a 275 horsepower MKS is a joke for a luxury Flagship. GM is really hitting on all thrusters when it come to performance.

• 1 year later...

i own a few cars.....2 of which is a 2010 CTS-v sedan, the other a 11 GT500.

The Cts-v is not a Hotrod...yet with its LSa motor and balance of suspension and brakes.....its a formidable car.

I love my Gt500....but its in a different class. throwing more hp at it to win a 1/4 mile race is ludicrous. The V is likely one of best engineered American cars on the road today.

now if HP is your thing...the tvs s/c on top of a LS3 can be modded easily pulley/ intake /exhuast/ tune....and this car is a beast. trust me i have that and a bit more.

61k if you know how to negotiate. Thats a bargain considering it seat 5 adults and has a large trunk. magnetic shock, brembo's all base.

race a zo6 with intake headers and a tune.........seeif the shelby can do 200+ mph..

Don't get me wrong...i absolutely LOVE my GT500. but its in a different class.......you don't show up at the country club in one....while others are in luxosport hyper hp cars

And it looks great...maybe not racer great but it turns heads, i get asked questions..ect ect........more so than the mustang GT500.

and the auto is the faster of the 2 V's......not mistakes repeatable performance and that maybe the deciding factor if you wanna cross race 2 totally differents classes of cars

also remeber the CAFE law that will go into effect in 13......no cars that can't achieve a 31-33 mpg hwy will no longer be made.

this makes the V the rarer of the 2 cars.

just respect it.....they will respect you. t hey know your a hotrod. a head nod will be returned by one.

guys as long as it isa american car who cares if it is a sedan so is bmw, mercedes, audi, and the caddy cts-v is one of the fastest cars tested on the nurinberg track so don"t knock it its AMERICAN and as americans we should stand behind the cars made in this LAND OF THE FREE otherwise move to another country stand up and stick buy the boys and girls that gave there lifes so we can can live free to drive american cars imo

i own a few cars.....2 of which is a 2010 CTS-v sedan, the other a 11 GT500.

The Cts-v is not a Hotrod...yet with its LSa motor and balance of suspension and brakes.....its a formidable car.

I love my Gt500....but its in a different class. throwing more hp at it to win a 1/4 mile race is ludicrous. The V is likely one of best engineered American cars on the road today.

now if HP is your thing...the tvs s/c on top of a LS3 can be modded easily pulley/ intake /exhuast/ tune....and this car is a beast. trust me i have that and a bit more.

61k if you know how to negotiate. Thats a bargain considering it seat 5 adults and has a large trunk. magnetic shock, brembo's all base.

race a zo6 with intake headers and a tune.........seeif the shelby can do 200+ mph..

Don't get me wrong...i absolutely LOVE my GT500. but its in a different class.......you don't show up at the country club in one....while others are in luxosport hyper hp cars

And it looks great...maybe not racer great but it turns heads, i get asked questions..ect ect........more so than the mustang GT500.

and the auto is the faster of the 2 V's......not mistakes repeatable performance and that maybe the deciding factor if you wanna cross race 2 totally differents classes of cars

also remeber the CAFE law that will go into effect in 13......no cars that can't achieve a 31-33 mpg hwy will no longer be made.

this makes the V the rarer of the 2 cars.

just respect it.....they will respect you. t hey know your a hotrod. a head nod will be returned by one.

Wow you pulled this thread out of the hopper. You say you get more looks that your GT500? I have to say my GT500 turns major heads. I get honks, waves, you name it people snap their necks off checking out my car. Always getting positive comments from people everywhere I go. People love the Shelby's. :wub: Perhaps it's all the retirees down in there in FL that love your Caddy. :hysterical:

No Caddy will ever be a SHELBY, and worse, every Caddy is now a GMW (aka: Government Motor Works). hysterical.gif

+1

This is a pathetic comparison of two totally different cars in different classes. A lot of people who own a Shelby would never own a Caddy . Always something or someone that is bigger, stronger or faster.... I could care less.

Archived