TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Read this is you have an odd squeak or a hollow sound

Ok, so since day one I have had this odd squeak that no one could figure out what it was. At first we believed it was the suspension and it would break in and disappear.

Nope.

As I listened more closely it was coming from the rear of the car, and it was a rotating sound. It would only really become evident when IN GEAR and would sometimes go away by depressing the clutch (re-appearing when re-engaging the clutch), and it would SPEED UP as the car sped up.

So to me, it HAD to be the rear end.

Well, twice it has gone in, and twice it was misdiagnosed. The last time they said it was my right rear brake that had to be adjusted and something lubricated. I told them that can't be it because if you depress the clutch the squeak goes away... that can't be a brake issue.

So of course, the sound came right back, BUT a new sound was added to the mix! A low moaning or what I called a "whirring" sound coming dead on from the rear. It would ONLY come when making a very slow, sharp turn (like in a parking lot).

I was able to recreate both sounds for them in their parking lot and their SVT expert took my car.

I just got the call... he said the axle was out of spec and Ford told them to replace the entire rear end as this also affected the differential.

So, my car could be an isolated case, but if not... if you're experiencing this, then you will likely need to replace your entire rear end. At least now you'll know what to tell them to look for.

The first noise you describe may be attributed to a mis-aligned axle. There was another very long thread on this forum that covered a similar issue and the fix was a new rear-end assembly.

However the whirling sound you describe while making sharp turns may be what's covered by the TSB referred to in this thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29200

I had the same whirling sound coming from mine, dealer added friction modifier back in November 2007, but I still occassionally hear it.

The first noise you describe may be attributed to a mis-aligned axle. There was another very long thread on this forum that covered a similar issue and the fix was a new rear-end assembly.

However the whirling sound you describe while making sharp turns may be what's covered by the TSB referred to in this thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29200

I had the same whirling sound coming from mine, dealer added friction modifier back in November 2007, but I still occassionally hear it.

This TSB is for earlier cars and also not GT500's. Mine's a 2008. I've noticed that on occassion there's a sound like a faint tire rub, but it's not just in tight radiused turns. Do you think it still applies to 2008 GT500?

I had the service manager listen to the whirring sound (heard best with the seat back down) - present all the time. It's pitch is dependent on axle speed, has nothing to do with clutch, power or brake, it's a constant noise.

He said it's basically just differential noise. I'm not really worried, because it is not loud, and it is not accompanied by any other symptoms.

However, it groans like a sick hound on low-speed turns if the differential is at temp. Normal driving you can't hear it, you have to get on the highway for a half-hour. Then it won't shut up. I'd have to make a road trip to demo the sound to the dealer. Maybe next time.

This TSB is for earlier cars and also not GT500's. Mine's a 2008. I've noticed that on occassion there's a sound like a faint tire rub, but it's not just in tight radiused turns. Do you think it still applies to 2008 GT500?

I have this noise also, only hear it on unlevel pavement going into my garage mostly. Its your rear end clutch packs, the tsb will probably be updated one day to cover 08's. I am just gonna wait, buy gears, go to work and install the clutch pack and gears and get paid for doing it. :)

I think it applies to any Mustang with an 8.8 rearend with Ford's Traction-Lok limited-slip differential. This would include Mustang GT (and variants) and GT500. The sound described in the TSB only happens during slow tight turns and typically when the car has been driven for a while. You may not have this problem.

I have this noise also, only hear it on unlevel pavement going into my garage mostly. Its your rear end clutch packs, the tsb will probably be updated one day to cover 08's. I am just gonna wait, buy gears, go to work and install the clutch pack and gears and get paid for doing it. :)

Leonard:

My dealer added friction modifier back in November 2007 per the TSB, but I think the noise is coming back. I was planning to have the dealer replace my clutch packs but then I saw where the TSB advises the tech NOT to replace them for cars manufactured after 10/22/2006 when Ford started using the new clutch packs? I know my GT500 was built after that. Do you have any insight as to why Ford warns against replacing the clutch packs?

Leonard:

My dealer added friction modifier back in November 2007 per the TSB, but I think the noise is coming back. I was planning to have the dealer replace my clutch packs but then I saw where the TSB advises the tech NOT to replace them for cars manufactured after 10/22/2006 when Ford started using the new clutch packs? I know my GT500 was built after that. Do you have any insight as to why Ford warns against replacing the clutch packs?

I don't have any info yet, just gonna keep close eye on this to see if that tsb will apply for 08's gt500. Mine has grunting noise, happens very rarely. Sounds like every other clutch pack I heard before.

Leonard:

Mine had the "moaning" sound under low speed turns too. I took the car in with a copy of the TSB in hand to show the SM. When I described the noise he immediately said it was the clutch packs - but I showed him the TSB and insisted that they try the friction modifier first under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. One bottle of friction modifier and my problem was solved.

I think the reason the TSB says NOT to replace the clutch packs on newer cars is the newer rear ends have the newer clutch packs already in them and Ford understandably doesn't want to pay the dealer labor & parts to replace something that may be fixed with a bottle of fluid.

My issue is I believe the noise is still occurring on occasion even after adding friction modifier - what do I do next if Ford says don't replace the clutch packs?

I just posted a thread on this in the GT500 mod forum. Long story short, I had this exact same issue. When I took it in for an oil change, I informed the dealer of the noise. Within several minutes of the mechanic looking at it and driving it, he said my clutch pack is going bad. It is going in this Friday to be replaced. He said that the friction modifier will only mask the issue temporarily.

• 1 month later...
I just posted a thread on this in the GT500 mod forum. Long story short, I had this exact same issue. When I took it in for an oil change, I informed the dealer of the noise. Within several minutes of the mechanic looking at it and driving it, he said my clutch pack is going bad. It is going in this Friday to be replaced. He said that the friction modifier will only mask the issue temporarily.

I had mine checked this morning (had the car for 48 days) they put in the friction modifier, but said that if the noise persists that they might have to change out the back end. They also said since this is a racing differential is tends to make some noise

I have an 08 GT500 and just recently noticed the noise while making a slow, tight turn. It makes the noise whether I'm making a left or right turn. I'm glad I saw this post, I thought I was going crazy. So what should I tell the service department when I go in?

I had mine checked this morning (had the car for 48 days) they put in the friction modifier, but said that if the noise persists that they might have to change out the back end. They also said since this is a racing differential is tends to make some noise

If your dealer agrees to replace your clutch packs, make sure they put in the carbon fiber ones that come with the GT500. The clutch pack called out in the TSB are probably the ones for the Mustang GT; they will work but are not as heavy-duty as the carbon fiber type.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=6942

hahaha, that's a good one, take it racing and then for warranty and see what they say........."sorry, you track the car, no warranty "

Archived