TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ugly cam covers!

Has anyone heard any rumors of some retro Shelby or aftermarket cam covers that look like the wrinkle black/brushed-finned ones of the 60's? Ford's stock cam covers are efficient and lightweight, I guess, but not much in the looks department. I would love to see some with the COBRA Powered by Ford, or just CS SHELBY GT on them. Wouldn't those just sell like hotcakes? While someone's at it, how about a matching oval plenum cover that fits under the strut tower brace and covers the carburetors that we no longer have? I know I could probably modify the Midwest products (plenum cover and rail covers), but it just wouldn't be the same, and you can still see the ugly stock cam covers. Any ideas?

That's what they make powder coating for. There are custom options avalible you just need to find them. There is a custom valve cover that you can have engraved with anything you want. Made out of billet aluminum and black powder coated they go for $475 a pair. Or buy a stock set for $159 and spend $75 or less to powder coat any color you choose. Then you have the Ford racing parts option of Black Crinkle, Blue or Chrome.

Lot's of options but none specific as you mention. You could be the pioneer! :)

Has anyone heard any rumors of some retro Shelby or aftermarket cam covers that look like the wrinkle black/brushed-finned ones of the 60's? Any ideas?

Backafter20,

The odd shape of the cam covers would probably make it hard to duplicate the look of the valve covers on the 1960s Shelby Mustangs. I chose these blue wrinkle finish Ford Racing cam covers that are the exact same color as the cam covers on the Ford GT. I love the way they look. The bare aluminum covers that came on my car looked pretty rough even though they were brand-new. I don't remember what I paid for the these but the price is in the Ford racing parts catalog.

Chip

post-12804-1213077085.jpg

post-12804-1213077085.jpg

BBK sells a chrome one as well. It says BBK and SOHC V8 on it I believe. I'm going to black crinkle paint mine then take thin strips of aluminum and place them in rows on top to make it look like fins. When I get it done I'll post a pic.

I was looking at the BBK ones myself but they are as of yet unavailable. I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago and they said that they are still working on the 3V cam covers and they should be ready in about a month. They are on thier web site but you'll notice they have no pricing and no way to place and order. To bad since they look pretty nice. I also asked them about the leaking problems that have been reported with the 4.6, 2V cam covers. They told me that the problems were all installation issues and that if you properly follow their instructions they don't leak. I'm hoping the 3V cam covers are available in time for my SC istallation. If so, I'm thinking of going that way.

If you have other information on them please let me know.

You are always the king of good info. Those are good looking and unique. I would't mind getting them to quote me a set of the racing flag fading into the Ford Racing Blue covers with Shelby Supercharged on them. That would be busy but I'd bet it would look as good or better than the Saleen ones. I'm going to send them an email for a quote and will let you all know what I find out on pricing.

:hysterical: airbrushed cam covers....and the blue makes the black caps look cheesy

This kind of stuff makes me want to rattle can my SGT flat black...

HHmmmmmm. How to be tactful.....ok here goes...

Why not just remove the covers put rags over the cams and then take the covers to a polisher and get the metal really shiny if you need bling. It ain't a funny car body its a cam cover.... i am only telling you guys this as a friend, friends do not let friends run airbrushed cam/valve covers, this is about as lame as it gets....And I am serious.

:hysterical: airbrushed cam covers....and the blue makes the black caps look cheesy

Why not just remove the covers put rags over the cams and then take the covers to a polisher and get the metal really shiny if you need bling. It ain't a funny car body its a cam cover.... i am only telling you guys this as a friend, friends do not let friends run airbrushed cam/valve covers, this is about as lame as it gets....And I am serious.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

He does have a point...

:headscratch:

However that said I do understand some people seriously have almost an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to their cars. Really! I see them at car shows. You know the ones! They have every bling item you can think of on their car. They even attach bling to bling! There is a guy with a Tiffany cobra stuck to a another aluminum item, who I love and respect dearly, but needs to stop! I was next to a guy the other day that had more junk stuck to his car than I have ever seen!

Anyway, I love elegance and simplicity, but that's me! Others...well...maybe OCD is too harsh, instead they use their car to express their personalities.

I guess in the end that's what it's all about right?

P.S. I will not be swapping out my cam covers. Need to save for all the cool new "Cobra" stuff! :devil:

I had mine powder coating silver, cost was 80.00, I really like them, they match up well with the KB , Rick

Pic's Rick. We need pictures :happy feet: Please

Jim

Yea, I guess your right, nothing quite goes with black caps like corroded Magnesium.

The airbrushed ones are over the top and probably don't have a place on the SGT but why bad mouth the Ford Racing Blue ones. They are meant for our cars and there are plenty of GT500 owners who have them. For goodess sakes they come standard on the Ford GT. Mine will be either blue or black or the silver ones unless I can get BBK to finish theirs up in time. I don't like the look of corroded metal in my engine bay especially after spending long bread for a SC.

You got the message though! :hysterical:

Actually I am having several parts Carbon Fiber Wrapped.

The mesage I got was midle aged identity crisis owner, trying way to hard, who just bought his first HD probably his first bike and wants to meet chicks after his first divorce. Who will let everybodyknow how much he knows about HD but does not know how to check his oil. It really happens.

Btw for reference about what I am getting at, does the below picture look like a honda?

See what I mean about airbrushed cam covers, keep it real it will be cooler...

BTW, Carbon fiber wrapped is not carbon fiber.

post-9886-1213368217.jpg

post-9886-1213368217.jpg

Yea, I guess your right, nothing quite goes with black caps like corroded Magnesium.

The airbrushed ones are over the top and probably don't have a place on the SGT but why bad mouth the Ford Racing Blue ones. They are meant for our cars and there are plenty of GT500 owners who have them. For goodess sakes they come standard on the Ford GT. Mine will be either blue or black or the silver ones unless I can get BBK to finish theirs up in time. I don't like the look of corroded metal in my engine bay especially after spending long bread for a SC.

Whatever, do what you want, blue looks bad in my opinion.

Painted valve covers looked like poo on my aluminum headed, polished roots s/c'd, BB chev. engine. Aluminum engines look better without painted valve covers. I ditched mine and went with the M/T aluminum ones.

Silver ceramic coat would look cool.

Blue looks good on a blue painted engine.

But what do I know I am just some guy on the internet, besides ford as a company has great taste..why just look at the breast cancer awareness edition mustang. A definite milestone in automotive product placement and design...would have made Enzo jealous as all heck.

Black would match the intake and the caps though..... :hysterical:

F.Y.I to y'all...

Cam covers for the 4.6L-3V advertised as "chrome plated" are not true chrome metal plating as we know it, or, expect it to be.

The stock cam covers are bare aluminum of unknown composition, and there is a great variety in aluminum content grades as a composite metal. Depending on the specific formula, some aluminums can be chrome plated, some cannot. I learned this a while back trying to chrome plate forged aluminum wheels and I did not get satisfactory results until I moved to a triple nickle plate process. Quite different from chrome plating. Forged aluminums do not absorb well.

The cam covers advertised among us as "chrome" are really a process called "Americhrome-PVD (physical vapor disposition). Trying to make a long and technical topic short, this "chrome" is actually paint. Several coats of a variety of paintable chemicals with a final clear coat, and none of it is true chrome plating.

Thus...If you purchase these cam covers, you should be prepared to treat them as a painted surface, much like your painted body parts. If you ignore them, they will fade, scratch easy when warm/hot, and require continual cleaning. Bottom line? This is not chrome plating, buyer beware.

Back to the cam covers...I like the Ford blue powercoat, and the crinkle black as well. I also like the option of polishing the native covers. I've done this before, and while the finish does require more attention (and with this attention applied) IMHO, they look the best of all options.

Just my .02C, be safe y'all, eh?

Archived