TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rusting Stripes??

shelbygt

I just finished washing my car and the stripes have water spots... Looks similar to rust. Its hard to see from a distance but when you get close to them they pop out like a sore thumb. Best way to describe what Im talking about is ( rust looking water spots) Does anyone else have this problem??? I'll try to post some pictures asap....

Could it be minerals in the water or hard water? You can buy filters for the garden hose. The Mr Clean car wash is very effective at filtering for a clean rinse.

I just talked to a friend with a shelby gt and he has the same problem. He never noticed it before.

I waxed the car for the first time and I had about 20 brown spots about the size of a pin head, they came off with my fingernail.

I just finished washing my car and the stripes have water spots... Looks similar to rust. Its hard to see from a distance but when you get close to them they pop out like a sore thumb. Best way to describe what Im talking about is ( rust looking water spots) Does anyone else have this problem??? I'll try to post some pictures asap....

I have the same issue with stripes on my 2007 Black SGT. They (the water spots) won't come off with anything that I have tried on them. I have tried several 3M & Meguier's polishing formula products as well as clay bar and nothing works on them. I think it must be acid rain stains fromm sitting at SAI in the desert sun and being rained on after having stripe kit installed and parked waiting for next step in conversion to Shelby GT. I went to two Ford dealers in Cincinnati and neither had any ideas on how to remove the spots or how to file claim with Ford Motor Company or Shelby. Guess at some point someone will figure out a fix or contact us for replacement stripes? Neither dealer filed a claim for me, I had them note my visit as my car has only 7,000 miles on it(daily driver). Meantime hope MCA and other Mustang clubs are aware of the issue with the stripes so that when time for judging our cars in future years we don't get deductions for water spots. I am a fanatical detailer of my car and this really gripes me, I would prefer to have the stripes replaced rather than painted on, just to try to remain true to Shelby authenticity on my car. Other than this one item my SGT is perfect!!!!! Even the hood scoop is fine. BTW CSM07SGT1933.

Could it be minerals in the water or hard water? You can buy filters for the garden hose. The Mr Clean car wash is very effective at filtering for a clean rinse.

I use the mr clean system only after I wash and rinse the car, kinda like using the deionized water to just displace the rinse water. It works great, and makes the car super easy to dry.

It sounds like what you are describing is "rail dust" which is iron particles that come from the railcars wheels & tracks when the car is being transported by rail.

Only problem is that you say these rust spots are on the stripes which narrows it down to post Las Vegas. Do any cars leave Vegas by rail? If not we will have to look elsewhere for the contamination.

Steve

It sounds like what you are describing is "rail dust" which is iron particles that come from the railcars wheels & tracks when the car is being transported by rail.

Only problem is that you say these rust spots are on the stripes which narrows it down to post Las Vegas. Do any cars leave Vegas by rail? If not we will have to look elsewhere for the contamination.

Steve

No. Nor can I find anything in the product (Orcal) specs that would "rust" I can only suspect water as the culprit. Then again I've only washed my car with water three times in a year and 7000 miles.

I tried everything to remove the water spots and nothing works. Im going to take the car to the dealership, hopefully i can get them replaced.

What did you try? There are water spot techniques over all such as vinegar mix, etc., that are typically used to remove water spots.

I no longer wash my car. No water, no water spots! Since i don't drive in the rain, my car never gets really dirty. I just use a California duster, then Adams Detail spray and wipe down with microfiber. It looks better now than it did when brand new.

I still clay, strip, polish and wax periodically like we all do, just no water! Bliss! :happy feet:

Dan

My brother in-laws SGT is the same way, we figured it was due to sitting outdoors on the dealers lot for a year plus...rain, plus dust and debris baking into the strips...

It isn't from sitting on the dealers lots. They came from SAI that way. We had one that came in, was on the showroom floor, then noticed it. Went to file a claim and Ford Performance denied it!

We ended up dealer trading it the next day, otherwise I was going to get on the phone to Ford Performance to get it resolved! Brand new car, it came in that way, never sat outside other than at SAI, wasn't sold, and they denied the claim!!!! What a JOKE!

Steve

They all leave SAI in an enclosed truck. Ours came in FILTHY and with lots of desert dirt under the hood and inside all the door openings. After we put on the showroom floor I noticed the rust color water spots. Even our body shop couldn't get them out! Called in to file a claim to get the stripes replaced and Ford Performance DENIED it!

Please take this with a grain a salt as it is second hand information.

I had hood stripes that were damaged from SAI. I was sent a new set and had them replaced at a vehicle graphic place. When I picked up the car, they showed me the discoloration between the new and old stripes. Basically the owner of the graphic company told me all vinyl stripes with metallic finishes will discolor, actually rust, eventually. He said the protectant layer eventually just breakes down and water begins to penetrate the stripes and attacks the metallic in the stripes. The vinyl companies are improving the protectant coat all the time but he hadn't seen a forever lasting one yet.

Just gives me another reason to eventually paint them or do something else.

I spoke with a white 07 SGT owner back in January. He had the same issue. He told me it was from water getting in pin holes from where the installers pop the bubbles that form in the stripes as they are being installed. He encouraged me to wax or seal the stripes (I can't remember the details of the conversation) to prevent it from happening to mine.

I have the same problem with my stripes although hood stripes have been replaced due to common hood scoop issues. Sadly the dealer botched the stripe install. So they are going to try again and restriping the whole car. When I finally have installed correctly I will probably wax more frequently. I think the problem is either cheap stripes or simply weather. Unfortunately, I can't garage my car. But I still think they should hold up more than 12 months.

I have the same problem with my stripes although hood stripes have been replaced due to common hood scoop issues. Sadly the dealer botched the stripe install. So they are going to try again and restriping the whole car. When I finally have installed correctly I will probably wax more frequently. I think the problem is either cheap stripes or simply weather. Unfortunately, I can't garage my car. But I still think they should hold up more than 12 months.

Best thing to do is to put a clear stripe on top after the first stripes are down and dry, Acid rain is cured by baking soda and water. This was proven in I CAR Collision 2000 class. ICAR sets the Standard for repairs.

my SGT stays outside and i've had it since last August. the've held up till this spring when i started to get alot of rain. my stripes are looking hideous now. i've got spots all over them. some are faded spots where bird poo sat on it a while before noticing. and there are rusty yellowish stains where i handle the trunk lid when closing it. i've tried everything to get them out...nothing.

when i get the hail dents repaired i'll get them to replace all the Lemans stripes which is covered in the insurance adjustment anyway. then i may get them to shoot some clearcoat, or clear striping over them to protect them.

or i may have them just paint the stripes on...i dont know. i wonder which would be easier for Ford's body shop?

Archived