TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

BOY DO I NEED ADVICE QUICK---TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER AND GOT THE OIL CHANGE--RIGHT OIL SPEC 'B' BUT SWITCHED TO THE FORD RACING FILTER. SO FAR SO GOOD. THE CAR HAS 5000 MILES ON IT. ABOUT 300 MILES SINCE SS CONVERSION TO 735.

TODAY WHILE IDELING AFTER WASHING IT THE YELLOW CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. DROVE IT ABOUT 20 MILES STOPPED AND RESTARTED STPPPED AND LET COOL DOWN AND RESTARTED. LIGHT STILL ON.

GAS TANK IS HALF FULL AND DID UNSCREW CAP AND RESEALED. NO LUCK.

ANY IDEAS??

I THINK THIS IS PRIMARILY EMMISSIONS RELATED

THANKS

BOB

Bob, If it was something simple like the gas cap, you'll need to reset the the codes. Pull the negative battery cable like lambbo said. Before you clear the codes, you might want to run it over to AutoZone and have them read the codes (they do it for free). Then you'll know exactly what it is.

Other things to check...

1. Check all vacuum lines

2. I've heard some people getting a trouble code after washing because water got into some of the electrical connections. Disconnect all the electrical connections, and blow out with an air compressor.

Give me a call or drop me an email if you want to talk more about it.

BOY DO I NEED ADVICE QUICK---TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER AND GOT THE OIL CHANGE--RIGHT OIL SPEC 'B' BUT SWITCHED TO THE FORD RACING FILTER. SO FAR SO GOOD. THE CAR HAS 5000 MILES ON IT. ABOUT 300 MILES SINCE SS CONVERSION TO 735.

TODAY WHILE IDELING AFTER WASHING IT THE YELLOW CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. DROVE IT ABOUT 20 MILES STOPPED AND RESTARTED STPPPED AND LET COOL DOWN AND RESTARTED. LIGHT STILL ON.

GAS TANK IS HALF FULL AND DID UNSCREW CAP AND RESEALED. NO LUCK.

ANY IDEAS??

I THINK THIS IS PRIMARILY EMMISSIONS RELATED

THANKS

BOB

TOOK IT IN AND GOT THESE TWO MESSAGES--PO104--MAF AND PO171--LEAN. SHUT THE LIGHT OFF AND RAN IT AND IT STAYS OFF. WILL TRY IT TOMOROW BEFORE HEADING UP TO ROCKIE MOUNTAIN MUSTANG ROUNDUP IN STEAM BOAT SPRINGS ON WEDNESDAY.

BOB

TOOK IT IN AND GOT THESE TWO MESSAGES--PO104--MAF AND PO171--LEAN. SHUT THE LIGHT OFF AND RAN IT AND IT STAYS OFF. WILL TRY IT TOMOROW BEFORE HEADING UP TO ROCKIE MOUNTAIN MUSTANG ROUNDUP IN STEAM BOAT SPRINGS ON WEDNESDAY.

BOB

Did you recently oil your CAI filter? Too much oil can sometimes cause MAF sensor codes.

Bob - I had the same problem when I put the SS hood and CAI on. There's a thread around here somewhere about it. Seems that most others are having the engine die under deceleration because of the ram-air hood. My suspicion is that at higher altitudes with the thinner air we get the CEL and a lean code on both banks (not enough air to actually "blow out the candle.")

When I got my hood it was a single large opening. After we contacted SAI they sent me a solid baffle and told me to drill holes in it. Still don't know where to put them... was supposed to get a template from one of the guys here, but apparently it got lost in the mail.

Anyway, I stuck a piece of foam in the ram air opening and the CEL never came on again, even under hard acceleration/deceleration. Hopefully they are still trying to find a better solution for this.

Block the ram-air holes under the hood. You'll still get plenty of air in the CAI from under the car.

Hope this helps. Have fun at Steamboat!

Sorry for the many posts, I just remembered this...

The CEL came on several times, but always after it was driven hard, then shut down and restarted. This might explain why your light came on when idling. I'll bet you were on it pretty good a few miles before. It takes a while before the code trips.

Archived