TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga---never ending

Has anyone found the cure yet for stripe wrinkles and hood scoop curves and wrinkles, that I do not have to pay out of pocket for? I had my car in the shop in April for two weeks receiving a new hood scoop and new stripes. The new scoop was put on even though it came from SAI with a large indentation that was oval shaped about 3 inches from the front. The idiots that installed it did not notice, but I did when I picked it up. They followed SAI with allowing the stripes to cure for 3 days and put it in the paint drying booth for 12 hours. Yesterday I took my car out from under its cover in my garage to drive got downtown and looked at my hood and what do I discover---wrinkles in the stripes again, and wrinkles under the rivots on the hood scoop. The car has been in the shop for 3 1/2 weeks of its life (since Feb 29th) all for warranty issues. Some the dealer says they can't fix, like my doors need to be shimmed so all the lines on the car match but I am told they can't adjust it anymore so I have to live with the lines on both sides looking like garbage.

Attached are photos from today... you can see how bad the dip is with the level I put across the scoop.

post-12759-1212946042.jpg

post-12759-1212946050.jpg

post-12759-1212946042.jpg

post-12759-1212946050.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we could get a Shelby GT Hood Scoop Forum? :)

Both of my cars have hood scoop rot. One has never been out of the garage for more than 15 minutes at a time since I got it (just to run the engine every couple of weeks).

I'm not even going to take them to the dealer until I get word here that there is a solution that works.

So far this is the only frustrating thing about the car.

Maybe we could get a Shelby GT Hood Scoop Forum? :)

Both of my cars have hood scoop rot. One has never been out of the garage for more than 15 minutes at a time since I got it (just to run the engine every couple of weeks).

I'm not even going to take them to the dealer until I get word here that there is a solution that works.

So far this is the only frustrating thing about the car.

When it was just the scoop dip after the first fix I told the dealer I would live with it until the final fix was out there, but now that the wrinkles are all back on the hood and on the scoop, I told them I want it fixed. I have asked them into looking into painting it (but I refuse to pay the whole cost out of pocket).

Has anyone found the cure yet for stripe wrinkles and hood scoop curves and wrinkles, that I do not have to pay out of pocket for? I had my car in the shop in April for two weeks receiving a new hood scoop and new stripes. The new scoop was put on even though it came from SAI with a large indentation that was oval shaped about 3 inches from the front. The idiots that installed it did not notice, but I did when I picked it up. They followed SAI with allowing the stripes to cure for 3 days and put it in the paint drying booth for 12 hours. Yesterday I took my car out from under its cover in my garage to drive got downtown and looked at my hood and what do I discover---wrinkles in the stripes again, and wrinkles under the rivots on the hood scoop. The car has been in the shop for 3 1/2 weeks of its life (since Feb 29th) all for warranty issues. Some the dealer says they can't fix, like my doors need to be shimmed so all the lines on the car match but I am told they can't adjust it anymore so I have to live with the lines on both sides looking like garbage.

Attached are photos from today... you can see how bad the dip is with the level I put across the scoop.

It looks just like mine!

Wow,that is some "suckie" :censored: JOB on that hood....stop going there and wait it out,that's what I am doing....my scoop is also a bit warped but nothing like those rivets screwing up the stripes...hang in there...I think that all of this stripe replacing would cost SAI a whole lot more....just send us a credit for us to get these cars painted stripes and a scoop like the one on the regular GT material....

ShelbyHomestead002.jpg

MAgiccity.jpg

I have been noticing the other mustangs going down the road.......with hood scoops......they all look great...

ours........

well........problems

my friends sgt scoop lifted right off on one corner.......

just hope mine stays on until next spring when I, hopefully, have enough money ta get an SC...n new hood n paint job...

still tho...was out cleaning the wheels today n a few people just hadda stop n say how great the car looked.....

One thing "never ending" is the proliferation of hood scoop threads that's for sure.

Sorry to see what happened to your scoop and stripes. That's a BAD BAD install and though the work is hard to do correctly, and there should be an easier way to install these, that is a BAD install and you should immediately file another claim. Of course this one will be on the dealer's dime now not Ford. Do not accept this but I would wait for the next iteration of the scoop design before having the actual work done.

If you look in the other threads and you will find Amy's latest response. Might not be the one you want but that's the status as we know it now.

Shelby encourages us to get the stripes and scoops corrected. I would take the car back and get the stripes corrected and have them put a new hood scoop on the car. You might just get a scoop that isn't warped and actually looks pretty good. Your stripes need to be replaced anyhow whether you get a scoop now or when the pernament fix comes out,but who wants to drive around all summer with an embarassing scoop and stripes . You might talk to shelby about painting the hood stripes as they have done this in the past. Good luck.

Has anyone found the cure yet for stripe wrinkles and hood scoop curves and wrinkles, that I do not have to pay out of pocket for?

Has anyone found the cure yet for stripe wrinkles and hood scoop curves and wrinkles...........Yes.

That I do not have to pay out of pocket for?..........................No. The only work that will be done on your hood scoop without any out-of-pocket costs to you will be done under your warantee. And as of now, every fix that Shelby Automobiles has come up with involves different versions of the soft plastic hood scoop that expands and contracts because of rising engine heat, pop riveted to the aluminum hood, with the easily damaged vinyl stripes sandwiched in between.

This problem appears to be a very sticky wicket.

My car is fixed but I had to pay to do it. At least one owner on the site has replaced his scoop four times under warranty. He is more tenacious, and has more patience than I do. To their credit, Shelby Automobiles is working hard on this problem and I'm certain they will ultimately fix it.

Chip

post-12804-1212992964.jpg

post-12804-1212992964.jpg

Has anyone found the cure yet for stripe wrinkles and hood scoop curves and wrinkles, that I do not have to pay out of pocket for?....

Somebody posted the other day to the 30+ page hood scoop saga thread that he or she was successful in getting rid of the wrinkles (not the dip in the hood scoop) by setting the car out in the sun and letting the hood and stripes warm up. After they were warm, the owner took a clean window squeegie and very carefully pushed the wrinkles under the scoop. Whether the wrinkles returned or not is yet to be seen. It was a fix but not sure if it was a long term fix for the wrinkled stripes.

I have the wrinkled stripes in all 4 corners and along the seam in one place. My scoop either dips on the left or rises on the right but it is not even. :)

Hardluck-could you post pics of your door problems I am curious to see this. I have done a fair amount of bodywork, and it was common in old cars for everything to be off in factory tolerances from side to side and doors. I thought that the computers fixed that....just curious if you have the time thanks....

I'm going to be afraid to look under my car cover when I get home. When I left home in February it was in the 40s. Now it's probably 120 in my garage around 2pm. I can only image what my hood scoop and stripes will look like. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprise.

Hardluck-could you post pics of your door problems I am curious to see this. I have done a fair amount of bodywork, and it was common in old cars for everything to be off in factory tolerances from side to side and doors. I thought that the computers fixed that....just curious if you have the time thanks....

I'll try to get shots of mine as I assume he has the same problem that I noticed on my doors not lining up with the front drivers side panel. Really minor but still very annoying to me as I tend to nitpick little details.

I just purchased my 08 SGT. The scoop is perfect so far, and I only have a small wrinkle at the rear driver's side edge of the scoop. I tried the "sitting in the sun thing" with some detail lubricant and a spatula-like thingy intended for smoothing vinyl graphics on cars. No deal. The scoop was so tight onto the hood, there was no pushing anything underneath it. I could probably just cut off the excess vinyl and get it to lay flat, but I can wait until SAI comes up with a fix.

You be careful over there, Mark. I met a guy at a local cruise the other night who said he knew you, but I didn't get his name, so nevermind.

You be careful over there, Mark. I met a guy at a local cruise the other night who said he knew you, but I didn't get his name, so nevermind.

Thanks. Trying to think who that would be. I did meet a fellow from Colorado at the SAI facility. He was picking up a White supercharged SGT.

I have experienced all the same problems... Wrinkles on the stripes...Hood scoop dipping in the middle.

I have pictures when I first purchased it without the dip...Now the scoop dips.

I have my location Ford Dealer working on the problems. They have been trying since May 20, 2008 to get new stripes. :talkhand:

Sorry the picture files are too large to attach.

I have experienced all the same problems... Wrinkles on the stripes...Hood scoop dipping in the middle.

I have pictures when I first purchased it without the dip...Now the scoop dips.

I have my location Ford Dealer working on the problems. They have been trying since May 20, 2008 to get new stripes. :talkhand:

Sorry the picture files are too large to attach.

If they have been trying since May 20th, unless something has changed, THEY AREN'T TRYING!

Ford Racing ships stripes out ASAP when approved and they approve, with the right documentation, in less than 24 hours. Ask your dealer who they are talking to to get these on order. Did they take pictures of your issue? Ford WILL NOT approve without pictures that document the issue. It would have been the first thing Ford Racing would have asked for on day one.

If they have been trying since May 20th, unless something has changed, THEY AREN'T TRYING!

Ford Racing ships stripes out ASAP when approved and they approve, with the right documentation, in less than 24 hours. Ask your dealer who they are talking to to get these on order. Did they take pictures of your issue? Ford WILL NOT approve without pictures that document the issue. It would have been the first thing Ford Racing would have asked for on day one.

Thanks for the tip...I will get on them today.

Yes, I took pictures to send to Ford.

One thing "never ending" is the proliferation of hood scoop threads that's for sure.

Sorry to see what happened to your scoop and stripes. That's a BAD BAD install and though the work is hard to do correctly, and there should be an easier way to install these, that is a BAD install and you should immediately file another claim. Of course this one will be on the dealer's dime now not Ford. Do not accept this but I would wait for the next iteration of the scoop design before having the actual work done.

If you look in the other threads and you will find Amy's latest response. Might not be the one you want but that's the status as we know it now.

What is the latest on what SAI is doing or not doing? I'm OK to wait for a fix, but is it actually being worked on? I can't get a response from Bud or amy on what is being done.

What is the latest on what SAI is doing or not doing? I'm OK to wait for a fix, but is it actually being worked on? I can't get a response from Bud or amy on what is being done.

In another week, it will be 1 month since we heard from Amy regarding the hood scoop status. I suggest that we wait until that time (June 21) and then I will follow up with her again on the "Ask Amy" thread.

We got tired of replacing scoops and stripes so, when my dealer offered to split the cost of painting the stripes on, we accepted. After painting the stripes, the body shop attached the scoop with rivets according to SAI instructions. That didn't work as the rivets dug into the material on the scoop. They then filled in all the rivet holes in the scoop and attached it to the car with urethane. It looks awesome! Very sleek without the rivets. Also, when they painted the stripes, they removed the washer nozzles, painted right up to the third brake light, and painted under the faux trunk emblem -- it really looks nice. Plus, the painted stripes shine brighter and look a whole lot nicer than the vinyl ones. It ended up costing us around $1100, well worth it in my opinion.

Scott

We got tired of replacing scoops and stripes so, when my dealer offered to split the cost of painting the stripes on, we accepted. After painting the stripes, the body shop attached the scoop with rivets according to SAI instructions. That didn't work as the rivets dug into the material on the scoop. They then filled in all the rivet holes in the scoop and attached it to the car with urethane. It looks awesome! Very sleek without the rivets. Also, when they painted the stripes, they removed the washer nozzles, painted right up to the third brake light, and painted under the faux trunk emblem -- it really looks nice. Plus, the painted stripes shine brighter and look a whole lot nicer than the vinyl ones. It ended up costing us around $1100, well worth it in my opinion.

Scott

PICS?

Amy has responded that they are working on it and it's a high priority. They have three, at that time, options they are looking at, and want to make sure it's done right this time.

Amy has responded that they are working on it and it's a high priority. They have three, at that time, options they are looking at, and want to make sure it's done right this time.

This is new information. I knew they were working it but did not know of the 3 options. Thanks Jeff!

Archived