TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clear Bra test for a signed Dash Plaque

Grabber

I was curious if the Clear Bra material would pull off the sharpie signature from a CS signed Dash Plaque so I did a little test.

I used a Sharpie on a piece of metal. I let it dry under a lamp for an hour.

ClearbraQ-panels040.jpg

I then stuck a piece of the Clear Bra on it.

ClearbraQ-panels041.jpg

I then pulled the Clear bra off of it......and

ClearbraQ-panels042.jpg

.....the ink comes off of the metal.

ClearbraQ-panels044.jpg

I was curious if the Clear Bra material would pull off the sharpie signature

.....the ink comes off of the metal.

6 light coats of crylon 1309..and next day 6 heavy ones (my hands were sticky from the crylon) and i am a happy camper.

DSCF0056.jpg

Why would you ever pull the clear bra off? Any spray clearcoat will yellow over time (especially lacquer based). I've yet to see the 3M Super Shield turn. It's UV rated.

You have a very good point. Once on, it should never have to come off. The reason I was doing the test is because during installation, there is always the risk of getting a small bubble under the bra, or having it a little out of position. Then you have to pull the piece up and try it again. If this happens, you will pull the ink off.

Can you post a pic of your installation?

Does it look good ?

6 light coats of crylon 1309..and next day 6 heavy ones (my hands were sticky from the crylon) and i am a happy camper.

DSCF0056.jpg

Man that looks great.

My plaque is already on the car, and I am afraid to spray it in a verticle state. I was thinking of putting the Venture shield over it and that is why I did the test.

Not trusting myself to not screw up any sort of spray or applique to the plaque, I just keep it out of the sun. Have an envelope-sized piece of cardboard in my center console. If I'm driving the car at a time/direction, or parking it such that sunlight hits the plaque, I just jam the cardboard between the overhang of the dashtop and the tops of the two center A/C outlets. A side benefit while driving is that it keeps the plaque from reflecting sunlight into my eyes.

If I ever had too much time on my hands, I suppose I could also do up a little slide-out shade under the dashtop overhang.

Michael

Archived