TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mach 1 mustangs 1969 to 1973

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 1971 Mach 1 351c that I purchased in 1970 new, :superhero::shift::shift: anyone have information on the Mach 1 or have you ever owned one?

I have owned 2. Both 69s. First one was a 428CJ. That car is gone, but I still have a 351 2V car. It only has 19K miles. What do you want to know about them.

If I cant answer I will put you in touch with someon who can.

michael morris

I have owned 2. Both 69s. First one was a 428CJ. That car is gone, but I still have a 351 2V car. It only has 19K miles. What do you want to know about them.

If I cant answer I will put you in touch with someon who can.

michael morris

OK, why do you have that car when it would look much better in my driveway? :hysterical:

Thanks for the replies. I would like to hear about your Mach 1's, where you got them why you kept them or anything of interest about your car. My 71 has about 49k original miles on it with the original clutch (Hurst 4 speed) along with all the original drive train and engine. The car was a lot of fun to drive with lots of power with the 351C 4V Ram Air. A lot faster than the 440's, 383's or the 340 dusters that were around at that time.

Out 69 is ALL orginal. Inside and out. Have 3 of the 4 orginal tires. I got the car from the first owner. When I picked the car up the daughter went inside crying and the owner and his wife watched me leave crying. Where they lived had changed and they didnt think it was a good place to keep the car anymore.

Its Royal Maroon with RED Mach One interior. The inside of this car is AWESOME!! Its the smallest engine you could get in a Mach One.

Its a 351 2v with single exhaust. All the other Mach Ones are standard with dual exhaust and truimphs. The cars and automatic with NO options. Its a pretty neat car.

michael morris

Mine is Indian Fire Red (Y color code) with gold/white stripes. The interior is Mach 1 white, no red inserts anywhere. It was manufactured in Jan. 1969, one of the earlier Machs, in San Jose, CA. It was originally sold thru Honolulu Ford to a service person. He shipped it to CA on the deck of his ship coming back from Vietnam. It is undergoing restoration but using all my original parts right down to the nuts, bolts, washers and screws and a few nos pieces. In fact, when they were sanding the body, they called to ask me if the car had ever been lifted with straps as they found identical imprints on each wheel well behing the tires. That was how they got it on the deck of the carrier I presume. It is also a 351 2v Windsor, single exhaust, fold down rear seat, FMX. According to Kevin Marti, it is 1 of 1093 in this color combo. It has 131k miles on the clock and will get many more.

I have been a fanatic about 69-73 Machs since I first owned one back in 1971. I just recently sold my 1970 Mach 1, which was the last Mustang built at Metchuen. The car was Calypso Coral with White interior, with a 351C M Code and a 4 speed tranny. It had 3.25's in it, but boy would that thing just FLY! I've always loved the way these cars just looked. They looked like they were going 100 MPH when they were standing still.

Speaking of Mach's, what's your opinion on the '03-'04 Machs?

Great to hear about your Mach 1's, the stories are great. I have always loved the Mustang and in paticular the older models. The new mustangs are great but anyone can buy one if they really want one whether it is a basic model or a Shelby. The few of us that are forturnate enough to own a classic are very forturnate as you can no longer purchase them from your local dealer.

The individuals whom are restoring the cars need to be commented for helping keep these great cars around and on the road.

Please keep the stories coming.

I have been a fanatic about 69-73 Machs since I first owned one back in 1971. I just recently sold my 1970 Mach 1, which was the last Mustang built at Metchuen. The car was Calypso Coral with White interior, with a 351C M Code and a 4 speed tranny. It had 3.25's in it, but boy would that thing just FLY! I've always loved the way these cars just looked. They looked like they were going 100 MPH when they were standing still.

Speaking of Mach's, what's your opinion on the '03-'04 Machs?

I love the '03-'04 Mach's great car a fried of mine has one.

Mine is Indian Fire Red (Y color code) with gold/white stripes. The interior is Mach 1 white, no red inserts anywhere. It was manufactured in Jan. 1969, one of the earlier Machs, in San Jose, CA. It was originally sold thru Honolulu Ford to a service person. He shipped it to CA on the deck of his ship coming back from Vietnam. It is undergoing restoration but using all my original parts right down to the nuts, bolts, washers and screws and a few nos pieces. In fact, when they were sanding the body, they called to ask me if the car had ever been lifted with straps as they found identical imprints on each wheel well behing the tires. That was how they got it on the deck of the carrier I presume. It is also a 351 2v Windsor, single exhaust, fold down rear seat, FMX. According to Kevin Marti, it is 1 of 1093 in this color combo. It has 131k miles on the clock and will get many more.

How long have they been working on the restoration? When do you hope to get the car back?

Out 69 is ALL orginal. Inside and out. Have 3 of the 4 orginal tires. I got the car from the first owner. When I picked the car up the daughter went inside crying and the owner and his wife watched me leave crying. Where they lived had changed and they didnt think it was a good place to keep the car anymore.

Its Royal Maroon with RED Mach One interior. The inside of this car is AWESOME!! Its the smallest engine you could get in a Mach One.

Its a 351 2v with single exhaust. All the other Mach Ones are standard with dual exhaust and truimphs. The cars and automatic with NO options. Its a pretty neat car.

michael morris

This sounds like quite a find. There may not have been many of these made with so few options, do you have any idea.

How long have they been working on the restoration? When do you hope to get the car back?

Car went down October 2004 :( We rebuilt all the mechanics ie engine, tranny and rear end freshened up, suspension etc. Tooked it to the paint dudes May 2007. Now the interior is getting put back and all the exterior trim. Waiting on a few pieces that I have sent out to be restored to come back.

Car went down October 2004 :( We rebuilt all the mechanics ie engine, tranny and rear end freshened up, suspension etc. Tooked it to the paint dudes May 2007. Now the interior is getting put back and all the exterior trim. Waiting on a few pieces that I have sent out to be restored to come back.

Please post pictures if you can.

I have a 69 428CJR Mach !. This is the second one I have owned the previous car was a 390 automatic. My current car was special ordered in 69'only, Thunderbird and Mark III only Copper. There are no other Mach 1's known in this color. I have seen a 428CJ fastback but it was not a Mach 1. My car has automatic trans, power steering, power disc brakes, air conditioning and fold down rear seat. I have been restoring it for many years and it is very near completion. I have been thinking of letting it go for enough money to make it possible to purchase a Ford GT. That is the only reason I would let it go. I don't have many pics on my computer but I do have these few......Many NOS parts used as my brother has worked for Ford dealers for more than 25 years.

post-8720-1213067862.jpgpost-8720-1213067870.jpg[attac

hment=30300:mach_1_003_144.jpg]

post-8720-1213067879.jpg

post-8720-1213067862.jpg

post-8720-1213067870.jpg

post-8720-1213067879.jpg

I have a 69 428CJR Mach !. This is the second one I have owned the previous car was a 390 automatic. My current car was special ordered in 69'only, Thunderbird and Mark III only Copper. There are no other Mach 1's known in this color. I have seen a 428CJ fastback but it was not a Mach 1. My car has automatic trans, power steering, power disc brakes, air conditioning and fold down rear seat. I have been restoring it for many years and it is very near completion. I have been thinking of letting it go for enough money to make it possible to purchase a Ford GT. That is the only reason I would let it go. I don't have many pics on my computer but I do have these few......Many NOS parts used as my brother has worked for Ford dealers for more than 25 years.

Beautiful car, you will be sorry after you sell it. I can understand why you want a GT they are incrediable cars. Be nice to have both!

Beautiful car, you will be sorry after you sell it. I can understand why you want a GT they are incrediable cars. Be nice to have both!

Thanks, the remorse is part of the game. I still get a tear in my eye when I think about my Lightning. Miss it a bunch even though I have the GT500. Ford GT is the zenith of a lifetime of blue oval loyalty. Seriously, is there anyone here who would not want one if they were afordable? If you guys are old enough to remember, Ford part boxes used to have a Ford GT on them for many years. I spent a lot of time around Ford dealers over the years growing up. Never thought they would make a modern day version of the GT. I went to the 100 year celebration in Detroit in 03' when they unvailed the first three cars. Talked to an engineer for a bit about them. Simply incredible cars. I would have to sell three cars to buy one but they are definitely rare with just over 4,000 produced in two years. Every week someone totals out another making fewer and fewer left.

Thanks, the remorse is part of the game. I still get a tear in my eye when I think about my Lightning. Miss it a bunch even though I have the GT500. Ford GT is the zenith of a lifetime of blue oval loyalty. Seriously, is there anyone here who would not want one if they were afordable? If you guys are old enough to remember, Ford part boxes used to have a Ford GT on them for many years. I spent a lot of time around Ford dealers over the years growing up. Never thought they would make a modern day version of the GT. I went to the 100 year celebration in Detroit in 03' when they unvailed the first three cars. Talked to an engineer for a bit about them. Simply incredible cars. I would have to sell three cars to buy one but they are definitely rare with just over 4,000 produced in two years. Every week someone totals out another making fewer and fewer left.

You are right the GT is a real deam for all of us that love the Ford cars. I will never have one even though I would love to. I to have a GT500 soon to be a super snake and I simply cannot part with my 1971 Mach 1 ( even though I told my wife I would when I purchased the GT500) the first Mustang I ever owned. I hope you get your GT without too much pain!

• 2 weeks later...

I was brought home from the hospital in my fathers 69' Acapulco Blue 428 SCJ mach 1.Not much memory of that but the sound.I cannot have a car without some V8 rumble.I did have a 73' Medium Aqua Mach 1 in 1988-89.Gave $1100 dollars and it was a great car.Came from Florida and I was the second owner.The thing i remember most was at 55+ mph in a light rain you did not have to turn the wipers on to keep the windshield clear.Aerodynamics must have been slick on it.Just a 302 auto but I loved it.Sold it to buy a 69 Charger R/T.No flaming please!BTW the 351 cleveland 4 barrel in its quench head form is my favorite Ford engine that I have owned,No bottom end pull with a big cam(Obviously due to the intake ports being the size of a beer can,Each!),But at high RPM it would flat get it!

My first car was a '69 sportsroof with a 6 cyl. and 3 speed. that's how I survived high school. I moved up to a '73 convert. w/a 351C 4V and a 4 speed with the round ball topped Hurst shifter. Next it was a '69 Mach 1 351W 4V that I really enjoyed. After adding tilt wheel, louvers and spoilers I decided I wanted to try a 'new' car, and it was sold. Up next was an '82 GT 5.0 that I bought new and kept for well over 100K miles. I then bought a '69 Grande' with a 428 Q-Code Cobra Jet. They made only 28 of those with automatics, like mine. (Last I heard, it was in Denver)

Got into a Probe GT 24V after that (actually a neat car), and then got back into a Mustang with a 2001 GT Prem. coupe. Finally, I couldn't get out of the GT fast enough when I saw the 2002 unveiling of the 2003 Mach 1. Mine is the 16th Mach 1 off the line for 2003 and I am a moderator on the Mach 1 Registry website. I've had a lot of great things happen since due to that car, and am in total love with it. It's Torch Red w/IUP. It currently has a little over 43K on the clock, and I couldn't be happier. It's fun driving a 13 second car to work daily (13.50 @103 mph). And it is completely stock.

Archived