TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best sounding Exhaust

Matts

Well I am looking to buy a black Shelby GT 500 with gray stripes and I am starting to buy upgrades such a 20 inch shelby black razor wheels but trying to determine which backspacing would be an appropriate fit for 275 35 20 all around. Though I am having a serious problem trying to find the best fit for my taste in exhaust. Mainly I want something that has that great idle and cruise, but the roar of a 289. I read that some people are extremely satisfied with the SLP LOUDMOUTH or the Corsa Axle Back. If anyone out there could give their opinion I would greatly appreciate it. Also what are the best quality long tube headers out as of right now. anyways thank you very much

Cheers! :dance:

Here's my free advice... drive the car a bit before you make a decision. Many of us (myself included) don't want an exhaust that will drown out the sound of the supercharger whine. That sound gets me off.

I plan to go Borla with mine because it will make it a deeper rumbling, throatier sound without being obnoxiously loud like the SLP Loudmouth is. I have nothing against loud normally... I use cutouts on my cammed SRT8... but on this car I want to enjoy that sweet whine when I lay on it.

There is a great exhaust sound comparison video here... do a quick search and you'll find it. You'll hear pretty much all the major brands.

If you are looking at headers then get them put on before you do any other exhaust mods. I had the Borla 5GT exhaust when the rest of my exhaust was stock and loved them. Very throaty but they did have a little drone, which really did not bother me. When I got my American Racing headers and removed the cats the exhaust was just too loud. I ended up putting the stock mufflers on and it sounds good to me now. If you are going for headers then try American Racing or Kooks headers. I had mine shipped to jethot and had them coated as well to reduce heat and help with scavenging exhaust from the cylinders.

If they say it can be done, then I'm talking out of turn, but I don't think I know anyone that has run 275s up front, most everyone is running 255s. I just put on some 255s and 285s and love the Razor.

I've had mine since Oct 06 and think it took me about a year to make up my mind on exhaust. So do get in a hurry, cuz as sure as you do, you'll hear a set somewhere that you like better. Pondering.gif

I really enjoy my Corsas. They are definitely not the loudest, but it what was important to me was that it not be too loud with the top down, and it's not, just right and you can hear that JLT whine like crazy. toohotinhere.gif

I HAVE HAD THE 3 INCH STAINLESS CATBACK MAGNAFLOW SYSTEM WITH 4 INCH TIPS ; ON MY 03 COBRA AND NOW ON MY 08 GT500 ; VERY THROATY SOUNDING AT IDLE AND ON THE GO ; NO DRONE SOUND WHAT SO EVER WITH THE TOP DOWN OR UP. ONE OF THE SWEETEST BOLT ON SYSTEM THAT WILL GIVE YOU 15-18 REARWHEEL HORSEPOWER OVER THE STOCK EXHAUST JUST BY BOLTING THEM ON.

I WORKED 17 YEARS FOR FORD HAVING OWNED 6 MUSTANG GT'S AND 3 SVT COBRAS. THE MAGAFLOW SYSTEM HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN. NOT GIVING ME ANY DRONE OR OTHER ISSUES. I HAVE HAD OTHER EXHAUST SYSTEMS FROM OTHER WELL KNOW COMPANIES AND HAD PROBLEMS FROM DRONNING NOISE TO RUST AND RATTLING. MAGAFLOW HOLDS UP THE BEST COMPARIED TO THE OTHER EXHAUST SYSTEMS I HAVE HAD. ON MY 99 SVT VERT THE 3 INCH CATBACK MAGNAFLOW IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION AND STILL SOUNDS AS AWESOME AS THE DAY IT WAS INSTALLED 9 YEARS AND 17,OOO MILES AGO.

IN CLOSING, YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH THE MAGNAFLOW 3 " CATBACK SYSTEM. YOU WILL DEFINATELY NOT BE DISAPPIONTED WITH IT'S DEEP THROATY SOUND AND IT'S AWESOME LOOKS ; NOT TO MENTION THE SWEET 4 " INCH EXHAUST TIPS. IF YOU GOT ANY QUESTIONS JUST E-MAIL ME ; I WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU LISTEN TO MY EXHAUST OVER THE PHONE.

SCOTTY

I had the FRPP SGT (not the 5GT) axle backs installed by Quantum Performance in Dallas, along with JLT Carbon Fiber CAI and the first tune and dyno run of her short life. I love the sound of the SGT's. Nice rumble at idle and great sound during acceleration. No drone whatsoever. I was looking at the Corsa axle backs previously, but decided to go with the SGT's since Quantum didn't stock and having my car worked on by an authorized Shelby mod shop was important. Can't imagine being happier with the sound. Now on to the suspension..............

Well I am looking to buy a black Shelby GT 500 with gray stripes and I am starting to buy upgrades such a 20 inch shelby black razor wheels but trying to determine which backspacing would be an appropriate fit for 275 35 20 all around. Though I am having a serious problem trying to find the best fit for my taste in exhaust. Mainly I want something that has that great idle and cruise, but the roar of a 289. I read that some people are extremely satisfied with the SLP LOUDMOUTH or the Corsa Axle Back. If anyone out there could give their opinion I would greatly appreciate it. Also what are the best quality long tube headers out as of right now. anyways thank you very much

I started out with the Bassani Axle-backs. I really like the tone. Very deep, low rumble.

Now I'm running American Racing long tube headers and catted X-Pipe, with 3" Magnaflow Cat-back. The AR headers are great quality, and the exhaust sounds bitchin'. Scares the hell outta everyone in my neighborhood. When I come up the road, kids run screaming, moms call for poppa, and old ladies just keel straight over. The first time I really smashed down on the go pedal and the exhaust started to scream, I pooped a little.

I'm going with StainlessWorks. Offroad X with 3" catback system.

Search Youtube for MRFARMDOG'S GT500 exhaust notes. Lots of popular exhausts including SW. The guy with the torch red GT (blue oval ford shirt) is running SW full setup including long-tube headers, catted-X and 3" catback. Sounds very deep and very mean. Had their system on my '03 and loved it!

I have a thread in the Off Topic forums about having anyone in or near Orange County let me hear their exhaust so I can decide on what I want to get. I am going to take a decently high end video camera with me and attempt to get some good quality audio and video of them. I will post them up, as well as a review of what each sounded like and what I liked/disliked about each. I'll let you know :) Personally I am leaning towards the Corsas, but the runner ups are the 5GTs, and JBA's.

I have a thread in the Off Topic forums about having anyone in or near Orange County let me hear their exhaust so I can decide on what I want to get. I am going to take a decently high end video camera with me and attempt to get some good quality audio and video of them. I will post them up, as well as a review of what each sounded like and what I liked/disliked about each. I'll let you know :) Personally I am leaning towards the Corsas, but the runner ups are the 5GTs, and JBA's.

I'm installing the Corsa 14311's on Saturday morning. I also have the Vapor & Black. I didn't like how the Corsa's hang a bit lower than some of the other mufflers so I have painted them black. I saw a photo of them painted on a different mustang site and it looked great. FYI - I called Corsa and ask if painting would Void the lifetime warranty and they told me that it would not. They even gave me paint preparation tips. I've had Corsa exhaust with silent choice on my Mach 1 (Boat, not Mustang) for several years and have had great luck with it.

I started the mods with a chambered muffler (flowmaster knockoff in stainless) that had an awesome sound

After installing the Kooks headers (best fit IMHO by far) the were too raspy I went with the Magnaflow catback and love the sound

Quiet at idle and touring past the boys in blue with a rumble that tells you there is more under the hood

Open it up and watch out, with 15psi whine and the exhaust bellowing out, it sounds like an F1 car in street trim (well almost)

Header will certainly make the car louder but the tone is awesome

I started the mods with a chambered muffler (flowmaster knockoff in stainless) that had an awesome sound

After installing the Kooks headers (best fit IMHO by far) the were too raspy I went with the Magnaflow catback and love the sound

Quiet at idle and touring past the boys in blue with a rumble that tells you there is more under the hood

Open it up and watch out, with 15psi whine and the exhaust bellowing out, it sounds like an F1 car in street trim (well almost)

Header will certainly make the car louder but the tone is awesome

THAT IS THE EXACT DESCRIPTION OF MY MAGNAFLOW 3 INCH CATBACK SYSTEM ON MY GT 500. I HAVE BEEN AT A LOSS TO DESCRIBE IT TO OTHERS ON THIS FORUM. THANKS FOR NAILING IT DOWN. ESPECIALLY, THE PART ABOUT IT SOUNDS LIKE AN F1 RACE CAR.NOTHING LIKE A MULTI-VALVE MOTOR WITH 700PLUS HORSEPOWER AND A AWESOME EXHAUST NOTE. SWEET DESCRIPTION !!!!!

THAT IS THE EXACT DESCRIPTION OF MY MAGNAFLOW 3 INCH CATBACK SYSTEM ON MY GT 500. I HAVE BEEN AT A LOSS TO DESCRIBE IT TO OTHERS ON THIS FORUM. THANKS FOR NAILING IT DOWN. ESPECIALLY, THE PART ABOUT IT SOUNDS LIKE AN F1 RACE CAR.NOTHING LIKE A MULTI-VALVE MOTOR WITH 700PLUS HORSEPOWER AND A AWESOME EXHAUST NOTE. SWEET DESCRIPTION !!!!!

Why don't you post a clip?

Why don't you post a clip?

I HAVE MADE SEVERAL SHORT 15 SECOND CLIPS WITH MY SONY CAMERA. HOWEVER I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO UP LOAD THEM TO THE THREAD. I HAVE COMPRESSED THE FILES, BUT THEIR STILL TO BIG.

Does anyone have a link to a sound clip of the SVT1 exhaust?

Here's a link - scroll down to the YouTube window - does a stock exhaust to SVT1 comparison.

http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/f...orla-p-963.html

I thought that the FRPP SVT1 mufflers were being used on the KR. However, the July 2008 edition of Motortrend includes their review of the GT500KR showing some shots of the rearend. The mufflers on that KR appear to be round rather than oval and the exhaust tips stick out more than the SVT1s and the ends are straight rather than angled.

So I don't know whether Ford/Shelby decided to use a different muffler on the final KR or whether they just put on a louder muffler to show off to the press.

The article does quote this: "A new exhaust system replaces an X-pipe with an H-pipe, uses small resonators at the back, and is capped by the Bullitt Mustang's 3.5-inch baffled exhaust tips".

Here's a link - scroll down to the YouTube window - does a stock exhaust to SVT1 comparison.

http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/f...orla-p-963.html

I thought that the FRPP SVT1 mufflers were being used on the KR. However, the July 2008 edition of Motortrend includes their review of the GT500KR showing some shots of the rearend. The mufflers on that KR appear to be round rather than oval and the exhaust tips stick out more than the SVT1s and the ends are straight rather than angled.

So I don't know whether Ford/Shelby decided to use a different muffler on the final KR or whether they just put on a louder muffler to show off to the press.

The article does quote this: "A new exhaust system replaces an X-pipe with an H-pipe, uses small resonators at the back, and is capped by the Bullitt Mustang's 3.5-inch baffled exhaust tips".

You're correct. Don't know why the change up if any. The FRPP SVT-1 are constructed using high quality material and the video is dead accurate. The sounds is impeccable and exactly what the car needs straight out of the factory. I saw the same MT Shelby vs. Challenge article with the X-pipe being dump over the better H-pipe which I believe is reversed. The x-pipe is preferred, especially at higher RPM reducing back pressure dramatically when you need it so I'm leaning towards a serious misprint on their part.

Good video. My change up to the FR-1 package was well worth the price adding HP, torque and a good clean sound. It echos loud under bridges. Very cooolllllll.

Airborne

If they can make a kit for the new GT500's, don't install anything until you have heard a Mustang with a Spintech system! Bad a :censored: !!

I just ordered the SVT1s yesterday and will let you know. Went with them based on the reading here in the forum and asking around. What I'm looking for and hoping to get is a deeper, meaner sound. I don't want loud and I'm not looking to wake the neigborhood when I drive down the street, but when I get on it, I want you to know I'm getting on it. I also own a 07 GT that has Flowmasters on it. I like the way it sounds. Not obnoxiously loud and when you get in it you can still here both the engine and the exhaust.

I HAVE HAD THE 3 INCH STAINLESS CATBACK MAGNAFLOW SYSTEM WITH 4 INCH TIPS ; ON MY 03 COBRA AND NOW ON MY 08 GT500 ; VERY THROATY SOUNDING AT IDLE AND ON THE GO ; NO DRONE SOUND WHAT SO EVER WITH THE TOP DOWN OR UP. ONE OF THE SWEETEST BOLT ON SYSTEM THAT WILL GIVE YOU 15-18 REARWHEEL HORSEPOWER OVER THE STOCK EXHAUST JUST BY BOLTING THEM ON...IN CLOSING, YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH THE MAGNAFLOW 3 " CATBACK SYSTEM. YOU WILL DEFINATELY NOT BE DISAPPIONTED WITH IT'S DEEP THROATY SOUND AND IT'S AWESOME LOOKS ; NOT TO MENTION THE SWEET 4 " INCH EXHAUST TIPS....

SCOTTY

I agree with this. I have 3" Magnaflow's with high flow cats. I also have Supermaxx 1-7/8" long tube headers instead of the usual 1-3/4". The suggestion of the bigger headers was the only good thing I got out of RPM Outlet. There's a definite difference in power, and the exhaust has no drone. I hear my blower whine just fine while in the car, but stand behind it and it barks at you with authority. Spectators at the track can definitely hear the blower whine too.

Archived