• Future Collectability
    • Unit identification plaques
    • ADM's on GT500's forced my decision
    • Never planned on purchase, it just happened
    • The Hertz Rental influenced my decission
    • No particular reason, it's just a cool ride
    • Automatic transmission option
    • Convertible avalibility in 08
    • Finally, a chance to make my dream come true!

We all make purchases for different reasons. I thought it would be interesting to get a taste of why you made we made the purchase of the Shelby GT. Something to have a little fun with. Click all that apply.

Roger

Cool poll Roger. I've voted!

I first read a small one page article in one of the car mags, I think it was Car and Driver, about a dealer version of the GT-H. It sounded intriguing. Then I saw that Edmunds.com video clip of the SGT roasting its tires and driving around the cone course: SOLD! :happy feet: Of course, the local dealer wouldn't sell, so I ended up buying a preorder off of Ebay two days before Christmas 06. Strange coincidence: Christmas and Shelby. :hysterical: It just took another 14 months till it was sitting in the driveway. Today its going to be 78 degrees, the sun is out, the car is washed and sitting out front at work and its a great day to own a Shelby! I can hardly wait til lunch . . . .

Almost all of the reasons above played a factor in my decision but it was renting GT-H convertible number 07H441 or 07H414 (I never took a close-up photo of the dash sticker or engine plate) that was the most influencing. Other factors were:

- convertible

- convertible that actually had over the top stripes

- automatic tranny (I am the 1% that prefers an auto tranny and the Hertz did not dissappoint in any way)

I rented the GT-H out of DFW for a four day excursion to visit friends and relatives in Texas before my third and latest deployment to the sandbox.

I never realized it was a convertible (I thought I rented a coupe by the picture on the Hertz website) until I showed up and did the initial inspection with Hertz saleslady. From the moment I dropped the top, heard the exhaust note, and experienced the tight handling I was hooked.

After I hit the streets I was getting thumbs ups, waves, honks, and even a little race between a Charger and another Mustang down in Waco - all the way to Austin, Lake Travis, and Marble Falls, TX and back to DFW for those four days.

I had people tailgating me I suppose just to get a better glimpse of the car that was a bit scary at moments. When I would refuel strangers were just coming up to me to get a glimpse and asked me to show them the engine.

I had seen the 07 SGT but they wanted $5K ADM at the time on both the SGT and GT 500s. Almost all the GT 500 convertibles came with the over the top stripes deleted so that played a big role too in my decision.

I read the article in October about Shelby "dropping the top" for 2008 and told my Dad since they were only making 2300 I would keep dreaming and settle for a GT 500 when I returned.

When I arrived in theater the Exchange Military Car Sales had a flyer stating "only 4 left" 2008 Shelby GT, Coupe or Convertible, Manual or Automatic. When I inquired, they had 1 automatic left and at $5700 under MSRP/$1300 under invoice I made the "impulse" purchase in 2 hours.

I am a believer in destiny and things don't happen without a reason. I was able to enjoy the car for a few days on my R&R leave and look forward to the day of returning and being able to attend some of the shows like the Carlisle one going on right now and the Team Shelby meet coming up.

I had first spotted the GT-H while travelling, and inquired about the rental, but found it way out of my per dieum league...I'd seen the commercials with Carroll Shelby drifting the car through the parking lot and then getting out and saying "Now THAT's a Rental Car!" I wanted to get a ride in one, but just couldn't afford it at the time. My wife and I went into our local Ford dealer in October of 2007 looking at Mustang GT's, and I spotted the SGT sitting there on the show room floor...I walked over and checked it out, didn't particularly like the riveted on scoop, but what the heck...at $45,254.00, I can't afford it, and besides, I'm not paying $4,000.00 over sticker for it either.

The car sat there on the show room floor for 5 months...I'd go back in and look at it from time to time, and walk away, shaking my head. Finally, one night after I came back home from a trip, my wife and I drove through the parking lot and I spotted what appeared to be a 2008 BOSS sitting in the show room...so I went back in the next morning to check it out...When I arrived, the BOSS was gone to a car show...I happened to notice the SGT sitting at the front of the show room and it had this huge RED tag on the rear view mirror that said $39,888.00...The rest is HISTORY! The price was right, and she's now sitting in my garage most of the time when I'm not out enjoying her by driving her...Right now, my wife and I are on our way from Odessa, TX to Disney World in Florida and we're driving the SGT! AND we're having a BLAST! Everyone has something nice to say about the car when we stop and people are always checking it out wanting to know exactly what it is...Yesterday, I even heard a little boy say "Daddy! That car is just like my Hot Wheels car!" You Gotta Love it!!!

Drive on everyone, and be safe this summer!!!

I went car shopping that day with the intention of buying a GT convertable! three things happened...

1) no dealer had one in a 5 speed (only automatics)

2) I discovered the rear seats on the vert dont fold down (I need trunk space to get my model ships to the boat pond)

3) While awaiting a GT vert from temecula we checked out the SGT and all bets were off!

The car so reminded me of one my uncle had when I was a boy, I told the dealer to cancel the convertable from temecula.

Plus he gave me a deal I couldn't pass up.

I knew the Shelby story and admired the man, but honestly I didn't go out looking for this car. I love it and have no regrets.

post-19390-1212512302.jpg

post-19390-1212512302.jpg

I'm actually a Mopar guy! :o On the list for the new Challenger. I've been feening hard since Detriot '06.

When I heard there would be only automatics and that there would probably be an ADM, I decided to wait on the Chally and get a GT Premium in the mean-time...

At the dealer, there was "Betsy".

I made the mistake of test-driving the SGT BEFORE the GT! :hysterical:

$36,995, done deal!

No regrets, and I won't miss the heavy Challenger after enjoying the grip/feel of the SGT for all these months.

***note***

My brakes should arrive today and I'm close to ordering my new Shelby rims and the KDW2 tires with the new tread design.

Good poll

Dan

I put love at first site, but it was really love of the 1966 GT-350.

+1 and my love for the 1966 GT350-H. When they came out with the S197 body style Hertz cars I told my wife I had to have one. When the retail version came out I bit and never looked back.

Salesman I have dealt with for years was aware of a desire for just a GT couldn't wrestle a Manual 2006 from another dealer. Lease for his first Fusion was coming due. The dealership had been given a SGT allocation for remodeling of their Building.

Was really apprehensive of being White but, first look when it came in showed me the hook. The rumble on starting and a test drive - Hook, line, sinker, rod and reel.

1) Things happen

2) Performance

3) Appearance

4) Shelby name

I must admit the Shelby GT was not even on my list until I saw it in person. I was due to get another toy, wife promised me when I sold the Porsche to pay for our wedding I would get another toy as soon as we could afford one. 5 years, 3 different states, and 2 1/2 year old Twin boys later it was time. I was really looking at a 2004 or newer Porsche 911, a 2008 Vette, or the GT500. The Vette is a Great buy, but I just could not see myself in it. The Porsche will be my next toy(Do not tell the wife, she always thinks when I buy a toy it will be my last one). I figured if I am going to get a Porsche wait until I can get exactly what I want and I did not want to spend over 60k. I narrowed it down to the Mustang, then I was undecided between the Roush Stage 3 or 427, the GT500, and possibly the Parnelli Jones. The GT500, although it fell under the $60k budget, I was sure the value would decrease on those ADM's faster than the New house I bought about a year ago. Thank god I did not pay those crazy ADM's, I would be under water for years with that thing. I do still love the GT500, sometimes think about trading in the Shelby GT now that MSRP is a regular thing. I test drove the Roush, that 427R has a mean sounding exhaust, very nice. I liked almost everything about it except one thing. The dealer I test drove it at had a used Shelby GT parked next to it and I could not get over the fact the Shelby GT, in my opinion, was the nicest looking Mustang of all the choices. I asked about the Shelby GT and they kept trying to steer me to the Roush. I then found a local dealer with a White one loaded with every option I wanted, they wanted MSRP. It was then I found our old Shelby forum and every one told me to see Michael Morris. He only had black and they did not have the options I wanted, afterall who would want heated seats in Florida. I was going to go with it anyway (I promised myself I would NEVER get a black car again) and the week I was exchanging e-mails with him the dealer with the White one around the corner said they would let it go for x-plan plus rebates or 0% financing. That was it, went down and took it for a drive, it only had 5 miles on it. Went home and told the wife I found my next toy, we went down that night(She had no idea I already put down a deposit). Bought it the next day.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I think about trading for a GT500 every now and then I take one look at it and I change my mind quickly.

I do not regret my decision at all and I am glad I found this forum. The people on here are Great, I have been a member of many forums and the professionalism and maturity on this on, at least this section, is top notch.

Sorry so long, but that was my story.............

I've dreamed of owning a Shelby since I was a boy. The price of the classics just continue to go up and have become too impractical to purchase and be able to drive or enjoy. When my wife and I got engaged,at her request I traded in my Mustang GT for an Explorer (needed more room) under the condition that someday I could get another Mustang.I then decided in about 2003 to start looking for a nice late 60's Mustang for my toy, then shortly thereafter I saw pics of the '05 concept vehicle and decided to wait and see one in the flesh. I REALLY liked the modern yet retro look to it. Then I heard about the GT500 and knew that was my chance to own a Shelby! I was on the list at my dealership, but when they called me, it was grabber orange with white stripes (No offense to anyone with that combo, just my least favorite) so I told them to offer to the next guy on the list. I then read the Car and Driver article with the white SGT and the 66 GT350 and really liked the looks of the SGT. In March 07, we were driving past a FLM dealership and spontaneously stopped to look at a Lincoln MKX for my wife. While she was looking at it, I went inside to get the brochure---there sat a black SGT. It was next to a GT500 and I really liked the looks and stance much better than the GT500. I also liked the whole-build at Ford, upfit at Shelby process just like the 60's. I knew I had to have one right then. I called my dealer the next day-he told me that he was just getting ready to call me-he had a black coupe or red vert GT500, my choice (for $59k or $62k respectively-$15K ADM)-I told him I was calling to inquire about a Shelby GT and asked if he knew about them-he asked what I was looking for and coincidentally they had it on order exactly as I wanted it already. No one other than the employees of the dealership knew about it, so I jumped on it right then before anyone else could get a chance. It has been everyhting I had hoped it would be-I LOVE IT! :happy feet:

I was making a service call at the local Ford dealership to fix a network issue. Saw the white SGT and the rest is history. The funny thing is, I have always said that I'd NEVER buy a NEW car. Note to self, never say never!

:hysterical::hysterical: I never write that note!

I first became a Mustang fan in 1976 when my friend had a perfectly built and beautiful 1967 Fastback. The car was just incredible and I loved it along with everyone else. After that I bought several Must

angs a GT K Model and a 1966 GT350 dealer installed clone package done in 1966, yes a Seattle engineer actually had the dealer do everything to this car even the back 1/4 windows, Shelby hood, everything back in 1966-67! And many others. But I never had a "real" Shelby and ALWAYS wanted one. Then I saw the Gt500's but was not going to pay 60K for one and I also found out that Ford made the car and CS had nothing to do with it but name. Then I saw a Black SGT and it was over. I ordered it. It came in and I told the dealer NOT to drill the bumper and sure as shit they did! I turned the car down over the phone. I then had heard that a dealer just got one in, and it was loaded. As I drove it off the showroom floor I knew I finally had my dream car.

I first became a Mustang fan in 1976 when my friend had a perfectly built and beautiful 1967 Fastback. The car was just incredible and I loved it along with everyone else. After that I bought several Must

angs a GT K Model and a 1966 GT350 dealer installed clone package done in 1966, yes a Seattle engineer actually had the dealer do everything to this car even the back 1/4 windows, Shelby hood, everything back in 1966-67! And many others. But I never had a "real" Shelby and ALWAYS wanted one. Then I saw the Gt500's but was not going to pay 60K for one and I also found out that Ford made the car and CS had nothing to do with it but name. Then I saw a Black SGT and it was over. I ordered it. It came in and I told the dealer NOT to drill the bumper and sure as shit they did! I turned the car down over the phone. I then had heard that a dealer just got one in, and it was loaded. As I drove it off the showroom floor I knew I finally had my dream car.

Swede, were have you been? Great story. Keep in touch my friend.

I consider my first car a white 68 mustang fastback. This was the rusting, non-running car that sat in front of our house when I was 5 years old in 1977. My brother had his tree fort in the back yard, I had the mustang. No matter how many times my dad hid the keys, I always found them. for three years it was my hideout. My dad always intended it as a project for him and my brother, but when my brother turned 16 in 1979, he bought his own car and my dad sold the mustang. I remember at the time wanting my dad to save it so I could have it to work on when I was old enough to drive, another 8 or 9 years.

The same summer he sold it I remember dad taking me to a car show. Lots of old hot rods from the 50's, but the thing that got me was how my dad drooled over the Shelby Mustangs. We sat in a G.T.350 and my dad went over it, pointing out every little detail to me. The funniest thing is that I came away thinking Shelby was no different then Ford or Chevy, they just made cars that looked a lot like a Mustang. The biggest part of that day was when my dad and I got to go for a ride in a Cobra. I have no idea how my dad did it, or if it was a real Shelby Cobra or a replica, but it was great. It felt like we were flying. It made such an impression on me that when I did get old enough, my cars were always 2 seat roadsters. I owned a Triumph, an MG, a Fiat and up until December, a Honda Del Sol.

So, fast forward almost 30 years, Nov. 07, the del sol was on its last leg, my wife and i start looking for a car. At the time, I was leaning towards a Pontiac Solstice, another 2 seat roadster, but for some reason I couldn't pull the trigger. I decided to wait until the del sol completely tanked and i was forced to pick something. My wife and I were driving by dealerships and she asked me if there any other cars I liked. I told her I liked the new style Mustang a little, but not enough to buy one. She drove into the local Ford dealer and started to drive down the row of Mustangs. Nothing impressed me until she turned the corner. There was this beautiful Black Mustang with silver racing stripes and this mean looking hood scoop. We got out to look at it and it wasn't till I got to the back that my jaw literally dropped. It was a Shelby. I was hooked. I knew nothing about the new Shelby Mustangs, had no idea Shelby was involved with Ford again. It took two months of talking an 0% financing to convince my wife.

Now it's my dream car. I have my own Mustang now and never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be a Shelby. Pretty Cool.

I think what did it for me, (besides having wanted a 68 mustang fastback from the day I got my license,) was that now that I can finally afford a brand new vehicle, and I decided after a thunderbird turbo coupe, and then a thunderbird SC, I should pony up the dough and finally get my mustang. After some heavy deliberation, I decided that I should probably get a new one instead of deal with issues on an older one. Old style throwbacks, along with the technological advancements make this car much more attractive to me at this point, seeing as it IS a daily driver and I needed something reliable.

I went straight away after a GT500, never having heard of an SGT as they never marketed them in Canadia. Price was generally discouraging so I took to the GT premiums. After searching high and low on ebay, and happening upon the very SGT I purchased, I could hardly even look at a regular Mustang GT, they're just so plain to me now. Anyways, to end my rambling, at the time the Canadian dollar was ridiculously strong and I ended up getting my SGT for about 12k cheaper than the fully loaded GT I had priced out from my local dealer so yeah, that's a strong argument as well. =) Summing it all up, HOT car, retro style appeals to me, wonderful performance stock, price. I really couldn't have gotten luckier. This car is perfect.

Just for the record, car companies need to smarten the hell up in Canada, and fast.

Archived