TEAM SHELBY FORUM

whats the best short throw shifter out there

teamxlr8

Hey everybody what short shifter kit do you install and whats your take on the hurst white knob vrs factory 6spd knob.....I'm torn which way to go and want some feedback from who has what...pros or cons? Kent's 2008 SGT500 vapor.....I Love this car!!! I'm thinking if I were to change anything, it would be a tighter and more solid shifter!!! Talk to me guy's.... :superhero:

In the last week I have had the KR shifter installed. It takes a bit more effort to move the shifter from gear to gear, but the throws are reduced and the shifts feel much more positive. I stayed with the stock knob.

I'm thinking of a shifter upgrade and wondering if the KR shifter has some built in stops?My factory 08' shifter allows for some trans noise if you pull hard to 2-4 or sixth.It seems as if it allows some over travel and that sound is real crappy!

Hey everybody what short shifter kit do you install and whats your take on the hurst white knob vrs factory 6spd knob.....I'm torn which way to go and want some feedback from who has what...pros or cons? Kent's 2008 SGT500 vapor.....I Love this car!!! I'm thinking if I were to change anything, it would be a tighter and more solid shifter!!! Talk to me guy's.... :superhero:

Here's my thread on what I did.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=25334&hl=

I installed the Pro 5.0 shifter in my GT500 within the first week of ownership, and I'm REALLY pleased with it. I don't see how missing 3rd would even be possible, and the throw is short enough that all I move is my hand when I shift. You do have to give firm pressure to get into first to start out.

Installation wasn't all that fun because I'm 6'4" with large hands, and getting to and disconnecting/connecting the front pins wasn't easy for me. I had to detach the driveshaft and lower the transmission to get enough room to fit up there. You REALLY have to exert pressure to get it into reverse while you break-in the shifter.

I found a 2.25" black shift knob with a Shelby Cobra inset at MRT that looks really wicked with the black interior of the car. http://mrt-direct.com/concept/Accessories/.../shiftknobs.php

I've had the KR shifter for about a month now, night and day between stock. Much more precise feel and clearly shorter throws. It does produce more noise, but I think that is mainly related to the knob connection between the FRPP ball and stick. Stock stick has a large rubber piece between the shifter and stick. I've tried a few different solutions and the best was hard rubber washers between them. :shift:

that knob looks good, where did you find it.

Thanks. I really like it, except if the top is down and it's sat in the sun. Devil.gif

I got it from Jeg's (jegs #0530153-6010), about $75 with shipping. I wouldn't suggest putting it on a OEM shifter, just to hard to adapt to, but can be done.

But now with the KR, it's a rock solid feel.

Hey I've been doing some research and the shelby short throw shifter looks impressive and they will be coming out very soon !!! Look on shelby performance parts -down load catalog and look on page 5....if you don't like the look or the price I think Steeda tri axe shifter is the next best then Ford racing???? JUST MY .02

I'm looking for pics and comments?????? TEAMXLR8 :superhero:

I was sold on the Shelby shifter until I figured out that it's been in R&D over a year now (or there abouts) and the KR was a rock solid choice for me.

I always try to buy Shelby first, Ford second, Steeda third. Well, except for my sick a$$ JLT. :-)

In the last week I have had the KR shifter installed. It takes a bit more effort to move the shifter from gear to gear, but the throws are reduced and the shifts feel much more positive. I stayed with the stock knob.

On the page 5 of the new Shelby catalog, there is a shifter shown there (Part #7S3Z-7210-F6) as Coming Soon. How does this compare with the KR shifter through FRPP? Or is this an entirely different shifter setup?

On the page 5 of the new Shelby catalog, there is a shifter shown there (Part #7S3Z-7210-F6) as Coming Soon. How does this compare with the KR shifter through FRPP? Or is this an entirely different shifter setup?

Hey double x the Shelby shifter is the next generation short throw shifter....big difference I think I'm waiting for it to come out!! Iwish I could see or talk to some one that has the Steeda tri or wait for this Shelby shifter. The Shelby will be out within 2-4 Weeks according to sHELBY PERF. PARTS!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I just "pre-ordered" mine from Shelby this past Friday. They are still saying at least 2-4 weeks from now. :banghead:

Hey double x the Shelby shifter is the next generation short throw shifter....big difference I think I'm waiting for it to come out!! Iwish I could see or talk to some one that has the Steeda tri or wait for this Shelby shifter. The Shelby will be out within 2-4 Weeks according to sHELBY PERF. PARTS!!!

I have the Steeda tri ax and it works great! Looks like there are some good choices available.

• 1 month later...

i just had installed the ford racing short throw shifter w/ cue ball shift knob. i love it personnaly. total cost w/install 600. i will try and post pictures later. i was told that it is the same one that will be installed on the kr's. the company that installed it told be it was a pain to install and the price would go up on installation for the next guy who wanted that same one installed. they use and recomend steeda.

Anyone try the Steeda unit yet?
that is the one I have in my car unless there is a newer version- works fine for me compared to my stock shifter- nice short throw and it feels positive when it goes into each gear- have missed third on rare occasion that I believe after the missed shift was my own fault- I missed third a lot- a whole lot with stock shifter- in the heat of battle we all make mistakes but the steeda has been good enough to me that I believe it is doing its job- also have steeda lower contro arms and upper- stopped my wheel hop although I do not have a highly moded car- like steeda as they seem like good mustang people-

I installed the FRPP short throw shifter, and I'm very pleased. I got a custom shift knob from grabberpony.com

frpp_shifter_2.jpg

Where did you get your billet cup holder ring thingy from?

And also did the coin holder come with it? That would be helpful and looks nice too, seems to go with the rest of the aluminum trim our cars do have\

thanks

hey 6-speed...

i just spoke with enrique at spp today. he told me end of sept now for expected delivery of the shelby short throw. still waiting patiently!! :banghead:

Have you or anyone else received and installed the Shelby shifter? Last I heard it was going to ship last week of July.

Archived