TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does anybody use Meguire's Gold Liquid Wax?

skiph

Hey everybody. Appologies for this being sumi-redundant with my other post on what type of wax does everybody use. I did not hear back from anybody who used Meguiar's and it says to not to use on vinyl (like the stripes) so I'm looking for anybody that has used this, since I have a good 1 pints of the stuff right here.

I called Meguiar's and they were pretty non-commital (normal when calling a vendor). Said specifically to not use on the flat black stripes like you get when you SS a GT500, but in a non-commital way, said it should be fine for the high-gloss stripes (like my red ones). Only possible problem would be some streaking that would wash off, or could be buffed out.

But, nothing like hearing from someone who has used it. So, has anybody used Meguire's Gold Liquid Wax on a car with stripes, and if so, what would be your option on how it did?

Thanks!

Hey everybody. Appologies for this being sumi-redundant with my other post on what type of wax does everybody use. I did not hear back from anybody who used Meguiar's and it says to not to use on vinyl (like the stripes) so I'm looking for anybody that has used this, since I have a good 1 pints of the stuff right here.

I called Meguiar's and they were pretty non-commital (normal when calling a vendor). Said specifically to not use on the flat black stripes like you get when you SS a GT500, but in a non-commital way, said it should be fine for the high-gloss stripes (like my red ones). Only possible problem would be some streaking that would wash off, or could be buffed out.

But, nothing like hearing from someone who has used it. So, has anybody used Meguire's Gold Liquid Wax on a car with stripes, and if so, what would be your option on how it did?

Thanks!

I like TurtleWax ICE ...works great on all surfaces -- I even use it on black rubber trim and all windows. Rob (Grabber) uses it on his GT500 and loves it too. No streaking, easy-on/off, etc. I've probably tried a dozen products or more over the years and it is the easiest by far, imo.

It's not in the same league with Zaino Brothers products, imo, but, then again, virtually nothing compares to Zaino -- but it works, if's fast, no streaks, no white residue (none whatsoever) on any surface I've tried it on. Good product...

...just a thought...

Dan

Thanks!

I tried the Meguiars Gold on my Vista blue car. It was absymal! It left a light yellow dust that stood out against the dark blue and got into every crack and crevice on the car. Worse, it left the car with a strong static charge that not made getting the wax dust off extremely difficult, but attracted all the pollen in the air. I started waxing at the back of the car and by the time I got to the front, the part I had just waxed looked like it had been sitting in a dusty shed for years. I emailed Meguiars and they recommended washing and wiping the car down after waxing it. I just got done washing the car, why would I want to do it all over again????

I like TurtleWax ICE ...works great on all surfaces -- I even use it on black rubber trim and all windows. Rob (Grabber) uses it on his GT500 and loves it too. No streaking, easy-on/off, etc. I've probably tried a dozen products or more over the years and it is the easiest by far, imo.

It's not in the same league with Zaino Brothers products, imo, but, then again, virtually nothing compares to Zaino -- but it works, if's fast, no streaks, no white residue (none whatsoever) on any surface I've tried it on. Good product...

...just a thought...

Dan

I used Ice on both of mine, including all plastic parts (e.g., front air dam and backs of the mirrors). It makes getting the dead bugs off those parts lots easier.

I have always been a paste wax bigot so I used the solid, not liquid, version. Others have complained about overapplication of the liquid causing smudges and smears, but since I used the solid I can't comment. I have done 4 cars - two Shelbys, my Dodge 1500 truck and my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee, and still have what I think will be a lifetime supply remaining. A little goes a long way.

Ok, I have an email here from the "Senior Surface Expert" at Meguiars. The original question I had asked him was regarding water spotting on my striping, but in the end it addresses some of your issues as well. As you said, he pretty much takes a step back and says, "I dunno, I wont say yay or nay for fear of liability." So....honestly, I would use any of the following for waxing your stripes, and would STAY AWAY from the Meguiars gold class, I did, I tossed mine out.

Zaino, ICE, or Adam's Buttery Wax. If any of these have cleaners in them, they are not damaging my stripes, so I would assume they would be ok for yours as well.

"Charles,

You are right that you don't want to use any sort of paint cleaner on such a surface. If they are smooth to the touch you wouldn't want to use anything much more aggressive than a wax (that doesn't have cleaners in it). Unfortunately, I'm concerned with every option that comes to mind. My concern would be that whatever alternative I can think of could put in a swirl, a scratch, or cause some sort of long-term harm. Just to fall on the side of safety I would have to refrain from a recommendation in regards to this specific situation. I will ask a couple of other people, and if I can get any options I will let you know. Aside from that, the best thing that I can suggest would be to contact Ford and ask them their recommendations. I'm sorry that I don't have anything more that that. If you get advice from Ford that can help keep me posted as it could aid me with specifics in the future. If you need anything else let me know.

Rick"

I have used Meguiars wax on all vehicles that I have owned for 40 years.

The new NXT wax is outstanding and I have used it on my 07 Shelby since new.

I called Meguiars and they advised me not to use wax on the stripes. I have the Torch Red with White stripes.

I simple tape off the stripes with Blue Scotch tape purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Everyone has opinions and preferences and there is a lot of good "stuff" out there but you can't go wrong with Meguiars.

P. S. Meguiars did advise that you can use their Clay product on the stripes which I have done.

Archived